Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Stopped skating for 2 weeks, and it seems like 2 years.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 30, 2005 09:19 PM

I just had this horrible cold that lasted for about 6 weeks. UGH. I thought it had gone by the 2nd week and tried to skate, but I was so off balance and off centre for my spins. I couldn't even feel that I was travelling, but when I looked down at the ice I saw these horrible scratchy, spring-like marks. Yuck. The worst part was after I felt abit better from the cold and went for skating I'd come home sneezing and looking like rudolph. Finally decided I had to wait for my cold to completely GO AWAY. Now I think its quite fine (I hope this doesn't jinx it) and I'll be going for my lessons again on tuesday, practice on fridays.
Been working on my axel and flying camel which were pretty decent, but they both went downhill (taking my usually-decent camel with them) during those trying weeks. Just need some advice and support on getting back to where I left off.

5 Replies to Stopped skating for 2 weeks, and it seems like 2 years.

re: Stopped skating for 2 weeks, and it seems like 2 years. (karma: 1)
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:06 AM
I can't give you any advice because I don't know anything about the axel or flying camel (eeps, I can't do a regular one, now they expect a flying one?) but if you stopped skating for only two weeks things will come back to you. I stopped skating for say...a year and a half and a lot of stuff came back to me within the first week or so. I bet after your first lesson on Tuesday you'll be back to where you left off. And remember, you're working on some pretty hard stuff! I can't imagine doing the stuff you're doing, so you must be an excellent skater - so try not to worry, everything will fall into place once you get back to your regular schedule.
re: Stopped skating for 2 weeks, and it seems like 2 years.
On Sun Jul 31, 2005 08:33 PM
Aww Sunshinepointe you're such an angel. Thanks for your words of kindness. I'm just afraid that I will never be able to get those elements just because I've been working on them for ages (hello, two years. kinda crazy) Still, I'll let you know how it goes this tuesday.
:D
By seastar
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:05 AM
Hi Jump

Don't worry, give you time, your axel wll come back, your flying camel too. Youy did the right thing by stopping to heal yourself. You had balance problem (wich is totaly normal with the flu), your body will just find back the work you did. Practice like you were practicing, it will get back. The body have a memory of movement, some take just a bit longer to remember ;)hehe.

keep smiling!

seastar
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:34 AM
Sometimes I feel that way just after I took a weekend off. On Mondays I usually need a little time to get the feel of the ice and my legs again. But I also took several months off about two years ago, and when I came back, I was doing all my double jumps again within a week. They will come back, don't worry. Like seastar said, your body does remember the movements.
On Wed Aug 03, 2005 02:10 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for your encouragement. Went for my lesson (even though I was abit apprehensive and tired from ballet the day before) and had a pretty good time. Axel immediately went back to where it was before - 1.25 rounds instead of 1.5, and my camel+variations felt better too. I was quite scared that the camel would be lost at first, because the first camel I did turned out to be an upright spin. (?!)
Ballerina84 do you skate everyday? That's amazing. Must be great for your skating.

ReplySendWatch