Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: So you wanna make an Irish dancing costume?
By Riana_to_be Comments: 73, member since Wed Jul 27, 2005
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 08:14 PM
I wish I could make dresses... I can't even sew a zipper in our beginner jumpers.

If I wasn't married, I'd come and live next door to you, Jess, and be your slaving apprentice for a year, until I knew all your secrets... don't worry, I live in the western US, so I wouldn't steal your customers or "turf".
By griffonhollymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 313, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Thu Nov 03, 2005 09:24 AM
I remember my first two attempts at making a dance dress!
Neither time did I have a pattern. I took an IDM with the dancer kicking so I can see how it APPEARED to come together.

The first one was black and green and I did the SHOTTIEST job. Didn't stablilize the fabrics (and they were lame and we all know how fragile lame is). I did the bodice in ribbon and I GLUED the whole thing together! YES GLUED!!! You couldn't tell but needless to say it fell apart before I even got on stage!

2nd one was white and periwinkle. I embroidered a whole winter mountain theme (this is back when images on dresses were all the rage) and I didn't do that bad of a job. I still had no pattern but I did a FANTASTIC job for never sewing before and having no pattern. Unfortunately this was also the time when velvet was still in and I couldn't afford the $16.00 a yard. So I used a Vellux BLANKET! It was cheap enough! AND HOTTER THAN HELL!!! It was like dancing in 2 layers of polar fleece! That dress lasted me for a year til I bought one. But I have learned a great deal since then! ;)
By DDDDizzyLizzy Comments: 20, member since Wed Nov 16, 2005
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 08:53 PM
SO kind of you Jess to post such helpful information.
By two_lassies Comments: 43, member since Sun May 20, 2007
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 03:54 PM
Thank you for the very informative posting. I am about to start on thi endeavor for the first time, and this answered many of my questions.
By balletgurl23 Comments: 51, member since Mon Mar 19, 2007
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 07:49 PM
wow thankyou for all that information you get larma okay great job
By mygirlsdancePremium member Comments: 199, member since Sun Apr 02, 2006
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 02:14 PM
Has anyone ever used the feisdress pattern? I've heard lots about the Irish threads pattern but not much about the feisdress pattern. Is is easy to alter (sidewrap skirt or longer bodice or even a two piece dress)
By FeisDress Comments: 203, member since Fri Feb 20, 2004
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 03:45 PM
I suggest you join the ID Dressmaking group - lots of discussion there and pattern reviews: groups.yahoo.com . . .

Also, check out the Blog for examples of how the pattern can be modified. Email me and I'll send you instructions for how to make the wrap skirt pattern.

feisdressblog.blogspot.com . . .
taoknitter.blogspot.com . . .
By TaoknitterPremium member Comments: 183, member since Sat Aug 06, 2005
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 05:16 PM
Wow, when was this thread unlocked?! Anyway, the Feisdress pattern...it is the only one I use now (have used Irish Threads). I have made the traditional 3 panel and have modified it for 4 and 8 panels dresses. Susan gave me the modifications for 2 swoop skirts (wrap), and as soon as someone wants one I want to try a panel with a soft skirt and a petal skirt. I love the pattern.

As Susan pointed out, lots of info on my blog - list of Feisdress posts on the left of the blog: taoknitter.blogspot.com
By wildwoodflowermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 829, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Fri Nov 09, 2007 08:02 PM
I feel so silly! It took me 5 out of the 6 panels of my niece's dress to think of basting the appliqué on and then stitching around it instead of sticking myself in the lap with all those blasted pins! I'm sure everyone is smart enough to think of that one on their own, but it seemed like something worth sharing anyways. =P
By slipperyjigger Comments: 8, member since Wed Aug 27, 2008
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:59 PM
Good post! I really want to try making a solo dress for the time and this information will be very helpful. I can't wait to start.
By loricg Comments: 11, member since Mon Sep 08, 2008
On Tue Sep 09, 2008 09:52 AM
Thanks this helped me alot. Thanks again!
By ceiliqueen23member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 206, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 04:18 PM
this is a very helpful post thanks I can use alot of this when it is time to get a dress I'd like to make my own what a challenge
By Reelathlete Comments: 25, member since Thu May 21, 2009
On Thu May 28, 2009 10:19 PM
Wow this was awesome! my schools teacher is makeing all of our school dresses and now I know what she is saying when she says its very hard to make them. Crazy! Nice post!
By Kayleigh27 Comments: 40, member since Sun Sep 13, 2009
On Sun Sep 20, 2009 05:04 PM
Thanks so much this helped alot!
By ama_g Comments: 1, member since Sun Sep 27, 2009
On Sun Sep 27, 2009 08:56 AM
I made my first dress with the feis dress pattern and it came out great. My granddaughter loved it. I adapted the skirt to a shorter length and added a 3 tiered soft skirt from Butterick 4593 and then added a tuu-tuu
By JennyJ Comments: 27, member since Thu Jan 14, 2010
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 07:48 PM
I am up to my 3rd ID dress and I still dont really know what I am doing. (I have been sewing for 32 years. Did 3 years sewing at university and am qulaified to teach it). Despite my sewing experience the best help I have had has been from other mums who are making their daughters dresses. Not only has putting it all together caused tears (pronounced both ways) but getting the skirt to hang right. My daughter, although able to fitt comfortable and neatly ito store bought clothes, has a very odd figure. I end up putting more darts in the back of the bodice than in the front and I then beg and grovel to my fashion design sister (who unfortunately has no interest in making ID patterns or dresses) to come over, stick pins in her niece and get the skirt to "hang".
We get there in the end but a lot of tears (both pronunciations again) and sweat have passed.
The pat on the back has come on bothe previous occasions though when someone at a Feis (and it may be a dancing child - but thats OK cause they are the biggest critics) has said "gee I like the dress". I smile, say thankyou and think "just dont look at the inside!!"
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 900, member since Sun Feb 07, 2010
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:15 PM
I am a new id dress maker in USA and I am completely obsessed w/ ID costumes. I'd be happy to help w/ construction questions for anybody wanting to make their own. Might as well let someone benefit from the tons of dresses I trashed :)
By SelinaKyle Comments: 18, member since Fri Feb 20, 2009
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 02:47 PM
I used some patterns for making irish dresses.
By dbirish40 Comments: 2, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Mon Apr 26, 2010 02:49 PM
do you fuse on backing or sew? I think this is the hardest part!!!!
By liz3j Comments: 169, member since Wed Mar 10, 2010
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 08:51 PM
So my aunt is going to make my first ever solo dress :) (SO EXCITED!!) The problem is that while she is an AMAZING seamstress she's never made and ID dress before. So my question is what fabric should I use for the skirt? (I'm doing a dress with four panels.) Ideas please?

Also thanks for this post... it helped a lot!
By Andrea888 Comments: 22, member since Tue Jun 08, 2010
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 08:45 AM
Thank you very much for your tips! I highly appreciate it!
By waves12 Comments: 5, member since Sun Jul 04, 2010
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 09:58 PM
Jen! My grandma is interested in trying to make me my next solo dress. We're looking to make a petal skirt and she's an AWESOME sewer, but she just doesn't know how to start with constructing the skirt. Do you have any advice or tips with how to start this?! Thank you!
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 900, member since Sun Feb 07, 2010
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 08:40 AM
by petal skirt do you mean like this:
www.dance.net . . .

I think these are constructed the same as the 3 layer "rah rah" skirts. Take a look at the last photo here:
www.dance.net . . .

That should give her an idea of how its constructed. if that doesn't make sense email me and I can send you a diagram/miniature pattern. jen dot blackerby at gmail dot com
By dancer4life77 Comments: 229, member since Wed Jul 14, 2010
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 09:44 PM
This is great! I've made my own dress, but I made it from an old ballet costume (just added sleeves and a skirt, then decorated it with rhinestone and such). It was certainly way more work then I originally thought it would be, but it turned out fantastic and totally worth it and I learned a lot about dance dresses in the process. Someday I think I'll try to make another one, but I think it may be easier just to start from scratch. lol!
By Pru Comments: 91, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 PM
Jen

I just read your kind offer in one of the posts above. I'm still a new memeber on the board so am still finding my way around. I think I've sorted out the key construction issues of the current skirts (i make ballet costumes ... this is another planet!!). If I have any mad questions can I send them your way?

cheers
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatchDraw