Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: So you wanna make an Irish dancing costume?
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 900, member since Sun Feb 07, 2010
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:16 AM
Please send questions my way! I would be more than happy to help! :) No reason you shouldn't benefit from all the dresses I had to trash :P you can pm or email me if you want.
By Pru Comments: 91, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 04:52 PM
Thanks for that Jen

I'm still a new member so I can't PM yet. I'll scour the board for some more questions to answer (if I can) or comments to make so I can reach my 20 posts before I am no longer a new member!
By liz3j Comments: 169, member since Wed Mar 10, 2010
On Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:48 PM
I'm also still a new member so can you give me your e-mail so I can ask questions.... or some other way to send you a message?

THANKS!
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 900, member since Sun Feb 07, 2010
On Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 PM
jen dot blackerby at gmail dot com
By ladydancermom Comments: 32, member since Mon Sep 06, 2010
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 08:38 PM
Are there any sites with the newer patterns out there? And has anyone used the pre-embroidered pieces that you buy and sew together? Are they really worth the steep price?
By cudca Comments: 14, member since Sun Jun 05, 2011
On Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 AM
awesome post! thank you
By dancerc2 Comments: 29, member since Fri Jun 10, 2011
On Tue Aug 09, 2011 01:39 PM
this is a great sticky. thought about making a dress, but i think i'll just leave it to the professionals
By mandees11 Comments: 250, member since Sun Oct 23, 2011
On Wed Feb 15, 2012 06:52 PM
This is brilliant! :)

You should give à dress making business a go!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :)
By dancingdoeMom Comments: 56, member since Sun Feb 19, 2012
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:28 PM
Thank you so much for this post! I am almost finished with my daughter's second solo dress and her teacher said it looked very professional. It would have looked TACKY without all your helpful info.
By Lcsthill Comments: 8, member since Sun Feb 12, 2012
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 08:15 PM
Thanks or all the wonderful information.
I am trying to make a dress. Where can I find more information on methods to line the skirt?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 07:50 AM
Lscthill, when you say line the skirt, what do you mean? Are you talking about stiffener? or just fabric? What type of skirt are you making? Here is a good picture of the underside of a soft skirt that has stiffener at the top to keep it from flopping around when dancing: www.dance.net . . .
It's the third picture
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:37 AM
Thanks for the picture. It is a ruffle skirt I made quickly for an informal performance; my daughter liked it so much she convinced me to try adding a bodice. Now I need to try putting a lining on the skirt.. The skirt needs both linings I guess. Do I line the skirt and make the stiffner section separate and then attach it to the skirt? Just jumped in head first . . . .
By megann120 Comments: 28, member since Fri Nov 19, 2010
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 01:05 PM
I know how that feels, jump head first to irish dancing dress making. In my doughter's second dress i made a soft skirt, two ruffles and underneath i've put underskirt. the underskirt is stiffened in the top part(I just put ironed on stiffener in between two layers of satin) an bottom part is tutu type organza ruffle (I fold it in half so there was no edge to finish, king of a bubble ruffle). Then all three layers were pinned to the bodice, basted and carefully checked on my doughter if i have a right hang. Nailed it the second time :)) Then all three layers were topstitched to the bodice.
Hope that helps and good luck
megann
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 01:13 PM
Oh, wow. Thanks. That was sorta the direction I was going, but didn't consider folding over The organza type material I have.
Big smile. . . .i am really good at removing seams now . . . .
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 03:37 PM
All dressmakers get very good at ripping out seams. I made my dress and then modified it a year later. I have ripped out a lot of seams!
By manymacs Comments: 13, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 AM
hank you for taking the time to write all this out! I have a friend who is starting a dress making business and this will be so helpful to her!
By irishprincess24member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 52, member since Sun Sep 02, 2012
On Sun Sep 02, 2012 02:37 PM
Thank you soo much!! I've been wanting to make my own Irish Dance dress for ages but I could never find good instructions on this topic! I just have one question... how can I make the skirt stiff??? Are there any products to help me with this? Thanks again!
By LillyBelle Comments: 41, member since Thu Apr 11, 2013
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 02:19 AM
Thank you so much for this post! I'm an advanced sewer and ever since my daughter started dancing I've wanted to sew her first ID dress but just didn't know where to start!

She's only 5, so I was able to get away with her first dress being fairly plain. Now that I've got the base sorted, I can get more & more adventurous with each dress! I loved making it, but it was a lot of work, and I would never take on making a dress for anyone other than her ;)
By Kate_79 Comments: 41, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Thu Aug 11, 2016 01:49 PM
Great information, thank you for sharing!
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatchDraw