Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
If there is something wrong and you don't know what it is... (karma: 15)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 07:59 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-08-10 22:39:41

Majority of members on DDN are not health care professionals, therefore they cannot diagonose what is wrong with you.

I know that in most cases members mean well and post that they have had similar problems before and this is what they did.

The BEST thing for you to do is to go see a physiotherapist and get a proper assessment done, and than get treatment from there. A good physiotherapist will give you exercises to do at both the clinic and at home.

If you are given exercises to do at home, do them, it helps aid in your recovery.

A massage therapist can also assess and treat many conditions.

When in doubt get it checked out by a professional. Be careful when taking any advice given on this board, some of it is great, some will do more damage than good.

If you need to know more about health care professionals
www.dance.net . . .

Make sure that the professional you are going to see is registered with the appropriate organization (usually it's a college, eg college of physiotherapists). This way you know that they are qualified.

If you don't feel something is right with the diagnosis that you are given, go see someone else.

19 Replies to If there is something wrong and you don't know what it is...

re: If there is something wrong and you don't know what it is...
By dancing_spazmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 551, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:56 PM
how come no one has replied to this? this is good advice. even sticky-worthy.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Wed Aug 10, 2005 08:02 PM
I don't know why no one has replied, but it almost sounds like lately people have been using this board as a substitute for getting treatment, and seeing someone for an assessment.
By devoteddancer23 Comments: 169, member since Sat Jun 07, 2003
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:11 PM
I am so glad someone finally posted/stickied this information! I will admit to coming here for advise on MINOR things like cramping hips or something. However, I can't imagine why someone would want to risk further injury by not seeing a doctor first. I think standard rule of thumb should be to use your best judgement before posting.

If you don't want to go to a doctor for fear they will tell you to stop dancing for a couple of weeks, then think of it this way. If you played a musical instrument and a valve broke, would you continue to play on it, knowing there are somethings it can't do, and that playing it might damage it further? Of course not! So why do we do this to our bodies? (I can actually answer out of experience) It's because we are stubborn dancers who don't ever want to stop. However, if you want to keep your hips, knees, etc when you are older, taking a week off is so minimal to your dance career in the future! Everyone should just keep in mind the grand scheme of time in a life!

Thank you LlamaLlamaDuck for posting this! It is truly thought provoking!
~Katt
By celticladymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Mon Apr 19, 2004
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:36 PM
I'm glad this has been addressed. I know people are hoping to commiserate with people who've had the same or similar injury before and are hoping to glean some advice, but I highly doubt we have any orthopedic surgeons lurking about on DDN who can assess your injury by just reading a description. Anytime I've injured myself my knee jerk reaction is to get off it, don't use it, ice it, elevate it and get myself to a doctor for an MRI/X-Ray PRONTO. I don't care what performance or competition is on the horizon, I'd rather sit it out and not possibly re injure even more. And let us not forget rehab. Physical Therapy is a godsend, it's why I'm walking at all today. I believe in it so much I'm in school to be one.

Karma for this post!
By barrework Comments: 129, member since Wed May 04, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 01:55 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Definitely if there is something wrong and you don't know what, go to a doctor who can then refer you to a physio or some other pro if need be. You do not want to wait till it is too late, by not getting it checked right away. BELIEVE me.

Karma for you llamallamaduck.
By dancingbeth Comments: 2252, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Wed Aug 24, 2005 06:04 AM
Hang on, I understand what you are saying but what is this chat for then? Is it for tips on how to cope with minor injuries or something. I'm confused because at the moment people just seem to come on here with anything they have a problem with and ask us. Maybe you should put specific requirements on the board and make it a sticky. or maybe someone should post a board with common questions on here and answers to be made a sticky...

Beth :D
By PlumeriaPremium member Comments: 3483, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Wed Aug 31, 2005 02:58 PM
I agree with that! I just gave somebody advice, but then I thought to myself. Why am I giving her advice? I don't want to hurt her more. So at the end, I said that you should only do the things I told her to do if her injury was like mine and if a doctor or therapist agrees. Remeber people, it is great to give advice here, but ask somebody older like a parent, doctor, or therapist before taking maedicene to relieve pain, certain streches, or anything thing else that might make it worse. Better to be Safe than Sorry!
Injuries
By charliebrown Comments: 69, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Thu Sep 15, 2005 07:40 PM
I think that you can give advice on very minor injuries e.g. sprains, strains etc. but I think you still have to careful as I know that most dancers will play down any injury!
By susu Comments: 1854, member since Tue Jun 01, 2004
On Sat Oct 22, 2005 05:38 PM
Karma to you for addressing this issue! This is my first time to look on this board, and while we can share stories of what it's like to have a sprained ankle, we aren't doctors (or at least I'm certainly not!)
By SexyBallerina00member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 284, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Tue Nov 08, 2005 07:15 PM
Karma! this is informative! I have alot of things that happen to me and I dont know what it is...and it will bother me for a while. I think I do need to see a therapist person for exercises for my hamstring..I keep pulling it.

thanks again for this post!

-aNgIe:)
By KristinaLynn Comments: 21, member since Mon Dec 29, 2008
On Mon Dec 29, 2008 06:32 PM
Thanks for posting and I agree with the message you are sending out.

Thanks!
By elwhair Comments: 11, member since Mon Dec 15, 2008
On Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:48 AM
I agree. Thank you for your post! I am dealing with an injury and mentioned it to my teacher. Luckily at my university we have our very own dance medicine grad student. He is amazing. I feel like I'm not dedicated if I'm not dancing through the pain and injury but now that I've seen him I know exactly what I should be doing and not doing. It's always beneficial to get an experts advice!
By Adancer624 Comments: 20, member since Mon Nov 24, 2008
On Sat Jan 30, 2010 02:47 PM
I actually came here for advice on a pulled hamstring. But I actually know what it is and was just looking for more advice on how to make it heal better/faster.
But I definatlly agree, people need to seek advice from a physican.
By BrookeLOVESdance Comments: 16, member since Tue Jul 12, 2011
On Wed Jul 13, 2011 09:10 AM
We all know that no one can truly tell you whats wrong but at least they can tell you what their opinion is and may help. We know that they can't heal you over a letter, but may help you by telling you what to do to heal your injury. Like say if you got hurt and you don't know if you should see someone about it or just try your best to deal with it. People will just tell you things that could be considered but over all you make the decision on your own. People ask things here because they want another opinion. Also not everyone who might ask questions here need to see a physiotherapist for there problem.
By surfinsound Comments: 21, member since Fri Aug 26, 2011
On Wed Aug 21, 2013 02:24 PM
Yes advice is all good & well but I agree, go seek out a professional. As much as I love the Internet , I do think people can scare themselves witless unnecessarily by trying to self diagnose or injury themselves further by not getting an injury properly looked at.
By ceol85 Comments: 3, member since Sat Oct 19, 2013
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 04:49 AM
I agree completely with seeing a professional when you are worried. After all the worry and stress only adds to the tension to your aching body. Peace of mind is not to be overestimated!!

However I've been to professional physio's for over a year due to knots in my calf muscles and unbelievably inflexible calves and hamstrings. It seems to be a bio mechanical problem which I am currently sorting (fingers crossed. I find that I have become a bit of a hypochondriac and sometimes I'm too afraid to dance in case I do some serious damage.

I'm so glad I found this place I have so many unanswered questions!! I'm still looking for peace of mind!!
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 06:25 AM
While I generally agree with how the OP presented things, and they certainly do mean well, I do believe however that a few things should be presented and clarified.

1.) I believe the OP is speaking mainly about neuro-muscular and minor orthopedic disorders for those of us who dance.

2.) I believe the OP is speaking from the point of view of living in the UK/AUS/or maybe CDN. However, modern day medicine does not work that way in the US.

Physiotherapists seem to be very popular in the UK/EU. They are too in the US (we call them Physical Therapists), but however, while we are starting to see today more PT's open up independent practices, most work under the direction of a licensed physician provider prescribing certain treatment (that the PT will develop a plan of care for and carry out) for their patients.

In the US, scope of practice varies by each state, and in the US most PT's can only independently practice Physical Therapy (with each different state determining to what extent a PT can practice their trade), and nothing more. I do not believe any state in the US allows PT's to make final diagnoses of conditions, and they can not legally order X-Rays, CT's or MRI's, blood work, prescribe any type of medication, etc.

PT's in the US can only develop/teach/train/work-with exercises that they develop for their patient based on what a licensed doctor tells them they want fixed. While an experienced PT can probably tell you, just as well(and sometimes better than) any doctor can, what is wrong neuro-muscularly or orthopedically with your problem, only a Doctor of Medicine (DO/MD) or other licensed provider (mentioned below) can make a final legal diagnosis of an affliction, injury, illness, disease, etc.

3.) In the US, good massage therapists who are professionally trained and licensed, can and do do a lot of good (I myself have regularly gone to one for ages now). However a legitimate massage therapist CAN NOT in the US legally diagnose any acute or chronic medical problems, only an appropriately trained and licensed medical professional (and there are many varieties) can do that.

So, again, if you are in the US and your problem is anything beyond minor ortho or neuro-muscular, please do see a licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practioner first for your problem. They may very well refer you to a massage therapist or Physical Therapist for treatment afterwards.

Again, very good info presented, but do keep in mind that when it comes to the practice of medicine, things are vastly different here in the US than they are in the EU, and when presenting info in the medical area, one has to acknowledge these differences up front.
By Artsy32 Comments: 5, member since Wed Apr 12, 2017
On Wed Apr 12, 2017 07:03 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with giving others advice especially on general rule in medical treatment or over the counter. We can always learn one thing or two from each others situations even if its always unique for each individual
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:10 PM
I think there is a difference between using this site to SEEK medical advice and using it to DIAGNOSE oneself. I agree that all dancers should seek the help of a medical professional for injuries. But on the other hand, I also think that our advice to others can be quite helpful if used IN CONJUNCTION to a doctor's help. Not all doctors are dancers, and not all dancers are doctors, so why not seek the advice of both as long as we remember to discern between the two?

For example, if someone in your dance class offered you some advice on an injury, you would know perfectly well that she wasn't a doctor and that she cannot diagnose you. But that doesn't necessarily mean her advice isn't sound. So why should it be any different here?

ReplySendWatch