Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ballet Intensives
*~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~* (karma: 3)
By silvery_starsPremium member Comments: 1934, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Sun Aug 07, 2005 08:45 PM
Edited by silvery_stars (117340) on 2005-08-07 21:01:07
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-09-19 19:27:07

I haven't been to a summer intensive because a) I restarted late b) my parents prolly wouldn't have let me go anyway. But I will be going to a mini one. Still, I want to hear about YOURS!

Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
- How old are you?
- How long have you danced?
- What types of dances do you study?
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
- How did you get there?
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
- How long did you go for?
- What were your daily classes?
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?
- Did you have a dress code?
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
- Did you know anyone?

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?
- What was your roommate like?
- Were you allowed to have a computer?
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
- Did you make any new friends?
- Did you decorate your room?
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?
- How was the food?
- Were you homesick?
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?
- What was the best advice you received?
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
- What are some new things you have to work on?
- What triumphs did you have?
- Were there special guest teachers?
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
- Did you get an injury? :(
- Describe your favorite teacher.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
- What disappointed you?
- What would you do differently if you could?
- What is your best memory?
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
- Would you do another SI?

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...

187 Replies to *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*

re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By Ba11erinaDo11member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 213, member since Sat Jun 19, 2004
On Sun Aug 07, 2005 09:59 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?: Ohio
- How old are you?: 18
- How long have you danced?: 14 years
- What types of dances do you study?: ballet, pointe, and modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.): Ballet Magnificat! in Jackson, Mississippi USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?: I live in the states, but I've never been to Mississippi
- How did you get there?: Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?: No and No
- How long did you go for?: 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes?: Ballet Class every morning and then 2 other classes every afternoon, either pointe, pas, variations, jazz, modern, improv, conditioning
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?: mainly ballet, but we had those other classes
- Did you have a dress code?: pink tights, black leo, cut tights top under leo
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?: yep! thank goodness!
- Did you know anyone?: yes, 3 girls from my studio went

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?: dorms ((Belhaven College))
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?: If you had classes on campus at Belhaven you didn't, but if you had class at Ballet Mag., you had to take a bus.
- What was your roommate like?: Awesome! LoL, I roomed with my best friend
- Were you allowed to have a computer?: yes, but you had to give it to your counselor to use on limited basis
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?: yes
- Did you make any new friends?: TONS AND TONS AND TONS!!!
- Did you decorate your room?: Of corse!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?: being with all the other girls and the company members that stayed with us!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?: the company performances
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?: be in bed by 10:30
- How was the food?: yummmy!!
- Were you homesick?: not once!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.: haha... toooo many to list... but when the 2 week campers moved out, we took all the mattresses from their rooms and lined the hall and jumped on them! it was awesome!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?: not really, they made the transition really comfortable
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?: nope, same!
- What was the best advice you received?: always reach further than you think you can
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?: they weren't very different
- What are some new things you have to work on?: pulling up
- What triumphs did you have?: better arabesque and cleaner double pirouettes on pointe
- Were there special guest teachers?: nope
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?: jazz!
- Did you get an injury?: not really... just very sore!
- Describe your favorite teacher.: i loved all my teachers!! all the company members taught classes and they are all so awesome!!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?: nope

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?: a student concert, you could bring your own coreography
- What was your piece like?: i didnt do anything
- Did your family and friends come?: nope

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?: that i wasn't as bad as i thought i would be! lol
- What disappointed you?: when i had to go home!
- What would you do differently if you could?: stretched more
- What is your best memory?: everything
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?: dance for no one except God
- Would you do another SI?: im deffinatly going back to ballet mag next summer!!!

I LOVED BALLET MAGNIFICAT! I recommend it to everyone!! It was the best 4 weeks of my life! If you have any questions or ceomments, PM me!
By giselle4life Comments: 315, member since Wed Nov 19, 2003
On Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:11 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Minnesota
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 12-13 years profesionally more like 9 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Pointe, Modern, Pas, Variations
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Central Pennsylvania Youth ballet
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes, the summer before
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes.. last summer
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2 tech classes, 1 pointe, and another optional night class
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? 99% Ballet
- Did you have a dress code? yes, plain black leo and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yeah... I pack more than needed, but I always do lol
- Did you know anyone? Yep! I knew my room mate from my hall last summer, also friends from my level last year...

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorm
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Not too, far its about a 10-15 min walk to studios
- What was your roommate like? Awsome, though we already knew each other so that took away any odd moment there could have been.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Not really, though we did anyway hehe... :)
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yeah, I did... I could have lost some of the bigger sweaters I brought, it was never THAT cold there
- Did you make any new friends? oh yes! A TON! I miss them so much...
- Did you decorate your room? Haha... yes we did... and the door which was actually pretty incredible
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? The girls in my Hall were all so nice... you always have someone to hang out with and somthing to do, never a dull moment...
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Hershey park!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I didnt really have a least favorite, some we could have done without, but I just kinda got used to them... maybe the room check at 9:30, you'd kinda have to stop whatever you were doing and stay in yoru room... other than that nothign terrible...
- How was the food? Food was great, no problem there
- Were you homesick? I was homesick a bit the first night, but nothing terrible... I mean, generally I'm always like that haha...
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Getting ready for the water fight with our new hand decorated T shirts, and shaving cream lol...

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not at all...
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Some teachers taught a bit Balanchine, which you can easily adjust too, but they wern't expecting it, you just had to try your best...
- What was the best advice you received? I'v always had a hard time with my ribcage, and I got alot of good advice on that... also, how to lengthen my leg muscles by doing tendu's diffrently
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Some were very similar to at home, some wern't it was all the same principal so nothing big...
- What are some new things you have to work on? while keeping my rib cage in keeping my back further forward not back, spoting is gonna have to get better in turns, because I would spot with my head not with my eyes
- What triumphs did you have? jumps and petit allegro/ turns
- Were there special guest teachers? we had Carrie Imler a principal with PNB, Barbara W. ( can't remeber her last name) was Balanchine's first student, ... alot of others I can't recall
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No...
- Did you get an injury? I injured myself before I left, but most of it was under control by the time I got there
- Describe your favorite teacher. Lazlo Berdo was one of my Fav's... I had had him last year, and he remebered me, so he could tell improvement, and help me with some of the things I have been continually working on...
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? There were seminars, on careers in dance, Nutrition, Gaynor Mindens etc...

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No there wasnt

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? It was better the second year, even though the first year was amazing.
- What disappointed you? Last year my level had alot of really adv dancers and this year the level was average, but not like last year... in then end its still all you have to work on, not the ability of the class as a whole...
- What would you do differently if you could? Taken more notes...
- What is your best memory? Just hanging out with friends... also a certain comment to me from Darla Hoover is always gonna stay in my mind forever lol... it was funny...
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? more confident
- Would you do another SI? Well, this year was my second year, so next year I'm going to try for another school, though I honestly beleive nothing is comparable to the amazing training at CPYB... its truly special, and you have to experience it to understand what goes on there...
By xdAnCiNg4HiMxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 191, member since Thu Aug 05, 2004
On Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:33 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Texas
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 3 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet and pointe
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Joffrey in San Antonio, Texas USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes i have
- How did you get there? i drove up there
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no to both
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe, character, pas, dance appreciation, jazz, and rehearsal
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mostly ballet but some others as well
- Did you have a dress code? black leo, pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone? yea, 5 girls from my studio went

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms (St. Marys University)
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? yea, kinda far
- What was your roommate like? she was from my studio and we are really good friends
- Were you allowed to have a computer? there was a library located on campus but if you brought one i think you could use it
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? i didnt pack enough tights
- Did you make any new friends? TONS OF NEW FRIENDS
- Did you decorate your room? we werent supposed to but of course everyone did
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the FREEDOM!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? there was a dance and it was sooo much funn
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? if one person was caught out of their dorm past cerfuw then the cerfuw was pushed back 30 minutes and so by the end of the 3rd week we had to go directly after rehearsal to our dorms and lights out
- How was the food? pretty good but it was sooo greasy and everything was either fried or drizzled with butter but sometimes they put some fruit out
- Were you homesick? towards the end of the 3rd week
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. well there was a place called the crows nest where alot of people would hang out and it was kinda a balcony/attic type thing and lets just say some PG13 things went on that was pretty crazy

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? nope
- What was the best advice you received? to never stop in a combination even if you mess up but to just keep going because it impresses people
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? our ballet classes were 2 hours so that was kinda hard adjusting to
- What are some new things you have to work on? extensions, feet, and turnout in centre
- What triumphs did you have? alot more control, fluid movements, and stage presence
- Were there special guest teachers? yes adam sklute (artistic director of joffrey) came the last week
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? ive never done partnering until i went there and so i guess you could count that as something totally new
- Did you get an injury? not really an injury just an infected toe nail but alot of people complained of shin splints
- Describe your favorite teacher. I loved Willy Shives because he was sooo positive while being corrective at the same time. He made you want to do your best and try as hard as you possibly can.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? they were shown during the day in Dance Appreciation

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? we did Kingdom of the Shades from La Bayadere
- Did your family and friends come? my mom and brother came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how many people were there
- What disappointed you? leaving
- What would you do differently if you could? take better care of my feet
- What is your best memory? all the people
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? to SMILE
- Would you do another SI? of course
By ApplesNspice Comments: 718, member since Tue Feb 24, 2004
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:20 AM
Getting ready:
- How old are you? 16, almost 17 (one more month!)
- How long have you danced? since age 3 (13 years)
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, jazz, modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) The 5-Week program at Virginia School of the Arts in Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes, I attended the 3-week program at VSA last year
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes and yes
- What were your daily classes? ballet technique and pointe or pas de deux were daily, and the afternoon classes varied-lots of jazz, flamenco, modern, pilates, along with some stretch, improv, variations
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? see above
- Did you have a dress code? yes, any color leotard (not too bright) and pink tights, no skirts 'cept for variations class
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? oh yes
- Did you know anyone? yes, one girl from my studio, but I don't know her well, and one girl I knew from last year's SI

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? no. 2 minutes by van, and just a few blocks to walk
- What was your roommate like? she was nice, easygoing-we got along
- Were you allowed to have a computer? hmmm I don't think so. the RAs had computers we could borrow though
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes! I learned from last year
- Did you make any new friends? oh definitely
- Did you decorate your room? I didn't really, but other girls did
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the bonding
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? trips to Wal-Mart!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I thought they were good rules, the only thing that wasn't great was the chores
- How was the food? good. we bought lots at Wal-Mart too
- Were you homesick? not at all
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. so many stories! we played some crazy truth or dare games..

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received? to take care of yourself, get massages (that may sound simple but I really hadn't thought to let myself relax); also to drown yourself in the music
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? fewer corrections, but at my studio there are very very few girls per class
- What are some new things you have to work on? I'm always working to improve everything! there's nothing that is good enough already :)
- What triumphs did you have? getting cast in the pieces I was...that was an accomplishment
- Were there special guest teachers? not really. all the faculty was there for either 3 or 5 weeks
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no, I've had experience in everything we did
- Did you get an injury? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. Mr. Brooks was soo utterly amazing, because he made us DANCE!! Not just technique. He would make us do it again until we felt the music and put our entire hearts into it. He gave great corrections, encouraged us and his classes were something to look forward to.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? one night we saw clips from the academic year shows

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yep
- What was your piece like? I was cast in two, and they were both contemporary ballet pieces. one had award-winning choreography, which was neat. one was en pointe, the other soft shoe, but both were challenging, had beautiful music, and made me happy. :) great dances
- Did your family and friends come? my parents did, yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? strangely, I was surprised that I didn't get sore the first week too much. I had just taken the intensive at my studio the week before so maybe that had something to do with it
- What disappointed you? I improved but not by as much as I wanted to
- What would you do differently if you could? work harder definitely. warm up before class every morning, and for longer
- What is your best memory? just the friends I made and the times we spent together
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? to pay attention to every detail, esp. the head (I tend to forget that) and never ignore any part, never tell myself I'll fix it later
- Would you do another SI? actually no, because next summer will be my last before college and my parents want me a) home and b) not to spend more of their money before they spend thousands for school lol

Rehearsal schedules for the show- we had auditions the first of second evening, and rehearsals started right after. For the first 2 or 3 weeks there was an hour rehearsal before dinner, and then a two hour after (both for separate pieces) but closer to the show it was broken down into three one-hour rehearsals. it depended on how many you were in, but it helped with stamina, to rehearse till 8:30 after so many classes.
Level: there were 4 levels, and each broken up into A and B. I was in level 4A (4B was the highest). We had classes mostly with our number level, and once a week we split into A and B for technique, and sometimes for improv we split. On Saturdays there were three classes only so, for example, 3B went with 4.

If you have any questions at all just send me a message!! I'd love to talk about my summer. Five weeks gives you lots to say lol.
Applesnspice
By Peridotmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2389, member since Mon Dec 27, 2004
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 02:29 PM
Getting ready:
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? balanchine, RAD
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)School of American Ballet in NYC
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?yes;no
- How long did you go for?5 weeks
- What were your daily classes?ballet, pointe, sometimes character or pilates
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?see above
- Did you have a dress code?you can wear whatever color leotard, but pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?yes
- Did you know anyone?yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?no!
- What was your roommate like?they were nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer?yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?yes
- Did you make any new friends?a few
- Did you decorate your room?yes :)
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?um... not sure
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?WAY TOO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM! There was something every night. But any of the ballets or broadway shows were outstanding.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?not sure
- How was the food?it was alright, but the main problem was that we didn't really get enough money to buy it for every meal
- Were you homesick?no

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?not really
- What was the best advice you received?not sure
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?not very different
- What are some new things you have to work on?extension? I don't know
- What triumphs did you have?getting stronger in everything
- Were there special guest teachers?no
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?no
- Describe your favorite teacher.She was so perky and motivational!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?yah they had seminars

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? no
- What was your piece like?.....
- Did your family and friends come?......

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?I expected the focus to be on quantity, like multiple turns, and high extensions, but it wasn't
- What disappointed you?the food situation
- What would you do differently if you could?nothing, really!
- What is your best memory?the entire 5 weeks will forever be the best 5 weeks of my life- there is no "one memory" but the whole experience
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?um... I guess I now try to dance with my heart, and make the movements strong but graceful, and dance to the music more
- Would you do another SI?yes

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... It was so incredibly awesome! The chance of a lifetime and I'm so happy I went! :)
By mrsfifiroxsox Comments: 50, member since Wed Aug 03, 2005
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 06:06 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Connecticut
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 14 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, modern, character.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Festival Ballet Providence. Located in Providence, RI.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope.
- How did you get there? We drove because it was about 1 hr 45 min away.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, STEPS, but not FBP.
- How long did you go for? It was 4 weeks, and I stayed for the full 4 Weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Pilates, Technique, Variations, Pointe or Character, and Rep.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Primarily ballet. We had Character every other day, Jazz once, and for the last two weeks we had Ellie Lupo for Ailey Movement.
- Did you have a dress code? Black Leotard, pink tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yup. 5 pairs.
- Did you know anyone? Nope.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? We lived in a big house on the campus of Rhode Island School of Design.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? We walked down two streets to get to the bus stop, which was about a 10-15 minutes ride from the house.
- What was your roommate like? I had a single room, but I wouldn't have minded rooming with anyone in the house but one person.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? We could've, but no one brought one except for our RA's.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yup, I overpacked.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes! 12.
- Did you decorate your room? Yes. With posters and pictures.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being with an awesome group of girls, having some freedom, exploring Providence.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We went to Jacob's Pillow to see Alonzo King's LINES ballet and met him afterwards, the Providence Waterfire, SPAC and NMoD to see NYCB in Harlequinade and Symphony in Three Movements, we went to Providence Place mall alot and also to Thayer Street [a street with a bunch of shops].
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I didn't have a least favorite rule.
- How was the food? The food was alright. Mostly un-healthy because RISD housed mostly artsy kids for the summer, not dancers.
- Were you homesick? Not at all.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We played Sardines and Octopus at night, we gossiped, took awesome pictures and made awesome memories and friendships.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really. The studios are beautiful at FBP.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not really. It was very heavily Vaganova based, and I really like Vaganova.
- What was the best advice you received? There was loads.. one inparticular was from Madame Legat who taught us that EVERYTHING in ballet has a preparation.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Well classes not taken at home studios are always different I'd say. It was a good different though and I felt I improved from each class.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Preparations on everything.
- What triumphs did you have? I did really well on all the variations I learned and got praise from most of the teachers.
- Were there special guest teachers? We had Carol Roderick, Adriana Suarez and Madame Legat as guest teachers.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no, but I do partnering during the year.
- Did you get an injury? I hurt my hip a little from overuse.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Carol Roderick.. was amazing.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We had hair and makeup classes.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yup.
- What was your piece like? We all had variations [I did e odalisques from corsaire, bluebird, and one from paquita], a character piece, two corps work pieces set on us by carol roderick, and an ailey piece.
- Did your family and friends come? yes, my mom, grandma, and boyfriend. =) =)

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much I loved it, and didn't want to leave.
- What disappointed you? LEAVING!
- What would you do differently if you could? No, it was wonderful.
- What is your best memory? Too many to list.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I feel like my technique is cleaner, Carol Roderick really helped with that.
- Would you do another SI? Yes, I want to go back to FBP next year.

Also to add, one of our RA's was a company member with Festival Ballet, so it was good to talk to her about dance related things, or anything really. She also gave us a heads up on some of the teachers that we were going to have.

-Liz
By mrsfifiroxsox Comments: 50, member since Wed Aug 03, 2005
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 06:13 PM
applesNspice.. I can't PM yet, so do you know an Olga that went to VSA? she's one of my friends from my school and she was in one of the level 4's.

-Liz
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 07:27 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Victoria, BC.
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 4 years.
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and minimal jazz and modern.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) The Banff Centre's Dance Training program in Banff, Alberta, Canada.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, the same program in summmer 2005.
- How did you get there? Plane and shuttle from Calgary to Banff.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, this program last year was my first away from home intensive.
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, then either modern or jazz, then after lunch we'd have pointe or something like that.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was mostly ballet but the modern and jazz was still very serious.
- Did you have a dress code? Not really. But most people wore pink tights at all times. We obviously had to wear leotards for ballet. In jazz people wore black shorts or pants and in modern we wore black tights over our leotards.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, just enough.
- Did you know anyone? Yep. From my city and from last year.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Residency
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Nope. You could basically get where you needed to go in 5 minutes.
- What was your roommate like? My roomates...3 to a room...were great.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I think so.
- Did you make any new friends? Lots.
- Did you decorate your room? Not really.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? No parents, a sense of independence is really nice.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Um, I think the swimming was nice. We could swim for free at the pool.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? 10:30 room curfews when you just wanted to socialize.
- How was the food? Fantastic.
- Were you homesick? Nope.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. The guys sneaking into the girls rooms on sleepover nights and finally succeeding on the 3rd try, haha.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No, because I new them from last year.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Nope.
- What was the best advice you received? Stop worrying.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They weren't too different but it's nice to have some different teachers.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Pushing myself and leaving mistakes behind instead of dwelling on them.
- What triumphs did you have? Not sure right now.
- Were there special guest teachers? I think all the teachers are pretty fantastic.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? I don't do jazz and modern throughout the year so those are always new.
- Did you get an injury? Yes, shin splints and I kind of hurt my foot opening night of the show so I had to give up my pointe pieces closing night.
- Describe your favorite teacher. A woman with amazing encouraging qualities and spunk.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yep. Nutritional seminars and Foot clinics.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? 4 shows.
- What was your piece like? I had lots of parts...
- Did your family and friends come? My mom came.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Nothing really.
- What disappointed you? Just leaving at the end.
- What would you do differently if you could? Not have had shin splints.
- What is your best memory? Way too many to decide.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That I need to take another type besides ballet.
- Would you do another SI? In a heartbeat.

balletbaby1414
By BalanchineDancer Comments: 131, member since Mon Feb 23, 2004
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:37 PM
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-08-09 18:29:27 If you didnt like the survey than why even bother replying to it?????
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? USA
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? almost 6 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) School of American Ballet (NYC)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- How did you get there? airplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? have been to intensives since age 11 (PNB for the past 3 summers, and I am at the remainder of PNB's course now). This was my first summer at SAB.
- What were your daily classes? I was in a level that had all classes on pointe. generally 2-3 classes a day. I had technique (on pointe) every day along with variations, adagio, pointe, and mat class alternating. On Saturdays, ballroom dance was taught.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet
- Did you have a dress code? any colored leotard and pink tights. dress code not strictly enforced.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I went with 8 pairs, and I used all 8 (and needed more!)
- Did you know anyone? yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? no, same building
- What was your roommate like? nice (how is this relevant?)
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I needed more pointe shoes.
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? no
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? same building as classes
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Saratoga trip to see NYCB perform
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? n/a
- How was the food? adequate
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. this is pointless...

Class:
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?no
- What was the best advice you received? n/a
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? n/a
- What are some new things you have to work on?this is stupid
- What triumphs did you have? I improved....
- Were there special guest teachers? no
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. I liked them all.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes, we had seminars.

Performance:
- What was your piece like? n/a
- Did your family and friends come? n/a

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how stupid this survey is
- What disappointed you? filling out this survey
- What would you do differently if you could? not choosing to do this survey
- What is your best memory? making fun of this survey
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I like SAB?
- Would you do another SI? yes, obviously
By silvery_starsPremium member Comments: 1934, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:45 AM
Well geez, BalanchineDancer, no one MADE you answer it! You very easily could have stopped partway through, not hit "Submit", and spread your sunshine elsewhere.

I made the survey for a few reasons:

1) Morbid curiosity

2) Building a resource. Soon it will be fall, and soon winter, and soon time to think about SI's, audition for them, and FLOOD this forum with questions (both general and specific) about what they are like. I thought that this sort of record would be useful for that, especially since it's a bunch of questions answered by individuals, covering many different parts of an SI. So many people are new to them, have never traveled far from home, have never lived in a dorm, etc. I wanted to get people to describe these things.

I wanted to know demographics, so I asked for ages, years of dance, where people are from, and how far they are willing to travel. Taking a plane is a big deal for some people. I also wanted to figure out what their SI experience was in order to contextualize the other replies (if it's a first time or if you're seasoned).

I wanted to ask them about dorm conditions, because lots of people might be worried about adjusting to the dorm rules (particularly the degree of strictness), the freedom, roommates, packing properly, how many pairs of shoes to bring (because that's a very popular question), dress codes, and how friend-making goes.

Describing a crazy fun time will give a good hint about what the social situation is like and how well you will bond with people. I wanted to know what the atmosphere was like outside of dance, like the activities planned and whether or not they were meaningful. I know everyone also worries about food quality to some degree. For example, it's interesting to know that one SAB person thought the food was INadequate.

I also wanted a consumer snapshot of the quality of the program. What kind of thought and concern went into planning activities? The seminars and supplemental classes tell a lot about what the program directors want to send their students home with. I wanted to know what makes an "intensive" class different from the other classes we go to year-round. Having, say, Suzanne Farrell teach your class is worth knowing about! And for pete's sake, what did you LEARN?

Trust me, when planning to go to an SI, a place where you will live for as many as six weeks, you want to know these things!

3) So many people say that their SI was "the best X weeks of their life". It's nice to have the memories, but it's better to make a written record of it, especially prompted by specific questions that jog the memory.

4) Maybe two or more people will read this and discover that another DDN person went to their particular SI (ships passing in the night, so to speak) and will manage to stay in touch with them.

SO THERE!
By onmytoez4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2239, member since Mon Aug 06, 2001
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 09:52 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Pennsylvania
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 3-4 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, modern, jazz, hiphop, lyrical (but i really only like ballet and modern lol)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) CPYB...Carlisle, Pennsylvania... it was an hour commute everyday
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? i live there lol
- How did you get there? we drove everyday
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? nope
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks, was supposed to go for 7 but...
- What were your daily classes? ballet and pointe (i also had 1 stretch and 1 pilates class a week)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet
- Did you have a dress code? black leotard with no crisscross straps, pink tights, pink flats, hair in a bun
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?yes lol i didnt pack
- Did you know anyone? yep

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? at home
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? i travelled from the warehouse, HUB to get to class and it was a pretty long walk
- What was your roommate like? ----
- Were you allowed to have a computer? no
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? ----
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? --- i know girls did
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? ----
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? ----
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? ----
- How was the food? ---
- Were you homesick? sadly, during the day i would be because i was in so much pain
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. -----

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? nope, the one difficulty was the some did not speak english well
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes
- What was the best advice you received? anything to do with my hips and what bruce thornton told me about pirouettes
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? it differed according to teacher
- What are some new things you have to work on? a lot of things but im quitting...
- What triumphs did you have? i started using my inner thighs
- Were there special guest teachers? there are tons of amaznig teachers
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no, just pilates which wasnt new but it was much harder than im accustomed to
- Did you get an injury? my injury got worse, i have chronic hip tendinitis and now im just going to stop dancing, its for the best
- Describe your favorite teacher. hmmm... well frank is cuban and hilarious, he moves fast but not as fast as gennadi who i loved as well and he was russian. i also really like bruce thornton because he was fun but i learned a lot from him...and christina hampton helped me a lot a lot with my hips.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? tons... i didnt go to any though because they were late and i had to drive home

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? there was a talent show non-ballet related in the dorms
- What was your piece like? ----
- Did your family and friends come? no its not big like that

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? probably just the leniency with hair. its stupid but i just expected it to be classic bun, nothing else.
- What disappointed you? nothing really. just having to walk back and forth all the time. it killed my hips.
- What would you do differently if you could? i wouldnt change a thing... i did what was best for ME and my hips.
- What is your best memory? since we commuted wed sit in the lobby and listen to the teachers talk..it was interesting lol
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i learned so much and grew so much in such a short period of time. it helped me discover who i am as a person and as a dancer and where i feel i should be.
- Would you do another SI? no....but thats just because of my hips. but if i put in the effort and really took care of my hips and got better and started dancing again, i would. i just dont want to be crippled by the time im 30. you get to see a lot of what happens to aged dancers there because the teachers all have a lot of expereince.
By CecchettiChick09 Comments: 129, member since Wed Feb 09, 2005
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Connecticut
- How old are you?13
- How long have you danced?9 yrs.
- What types of dances do you study?ballet,jazz,modern,tap, hip hop
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)ABT intensive in Austin,TX, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?no
- How did you get there?plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?yes,no
- How long did you go for?4 weeks
- What were your daily classes?technique,pointe or partnering, lunch, two specials such as:character, acting,pilates,dance history,rehearsal etc.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?see above
- Did you have a dress code?mon-thurs:black leo pink tihgts...fri:any color leo black tights optional
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?yes
- Did you know anyone?no
If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?dorm
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?depending upon where you were going
- What was your roommate like?annoying...lol
- Were you allowed to have a computer?yes for 2 min. and it didn't have aol!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?yes
- Did you make any new friends?YES!
- Did you decorate your room?umm.yah
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?the people
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?shopping
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?that you had to be on your floor by nine!
- How was the food?good
- Were you homesick?a little
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.well umm there were the light saber fights!lol yah don't ask

Class:
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?yes
- What was the best advice you received?it matters more your personalitly while dancing then your technique som etimes
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?just the way the teachers say things adn the way they teach

- What are some new things you have to work on?turnout
- What triumphs did you have?umm double fouettes like double double double yah exciting!
- Were there special guest teachers?no not really
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?no
- Describe your favorite teacher.he taught hte most like my teachers form home
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?giselle with some of our teachers in it

Performance:
- What was your piece like?finale from les shyphildes adn contemporary to brazilian rap!
- Did your family and friends come?yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?how not competitive it was
- What disappointed you?umm nothing realy
- What would you do differently if you could?act mre in classes like dance like i was on stage more
- What is your best memory?dancing
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?to not take it so seriously
- Would you do another SI?definitly
By ApplesNspice Comments: 718, member since Tue Feb 24, 2004
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 AM
Liz-yes I knew Olga!! Isn't it funny how small the dance world really is? :)
By perfectballerina Comments: 678, member since Tue Feb 05, 2002
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:28 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Phoenix, Arizona
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? 9 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ROCK SCHOOL in Philadelphia
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, when I was 12.
- How did you get there? A really long air flight.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I went to Rock School when I was 12 and Joffrey San Antonio at 15.
- How long did you go for? The full 6 weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Monday through Saturday, typically two technique classes, pointe, variations,and repertoire. I was in level 6, the highest, so we never had jazz, though it was offered.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet.
- Did you have a dress code? It’s technically a solid leotard and pink tights, but you can get away with ANYTHING, including black tights and shorts and legwarmers, etc. It gave it a “company class” feel though for my level.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yup.
- Did you know anyone? Yeah, students from home.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms at Haverford College.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Yeah, about 40 minutes on a school bus.
- What was your roommate like? Older students have single rooms.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? There was a computer room set up for us.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I could have brought more pants… and sneakers.
- Did you make any new friends? Yup.
- Did you decorate your room? Oh yeah.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Hmmm….
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? 4th of July was fun.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Curfew.
- How was the food? Very obviously from a cafeteria, but we walked to Cold Stone a lot.
- Were you homesick? Not really.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. “Dance parties” in the hallways

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? There’s a lot of cross-training, teachers with different styles who all want different things, so it was hard at first to keep up.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Some were, some weren’t.
- What was the best advice you received? Ha ha, maybe all in all it was to dance like you’re performing, but that’s rather corny.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? My school is pure Vaganova, so this was fun to see the different styles.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Overall strength.
- What triumphs did you have? Seeing which classes I thrived in.
- Were there special guest teachers? Lots, the director of Quinte Ballet School, people from Nathional Ballet School in Canada, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, SAB, etc etc
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Learned Symphony in C, so it was my first pure Balanchine piece
- Did you get an injury? Yeah, I sprained my ankle the last Tuesday and some poor girl had to learn my part in the performance in one rehearsal.
- Describe your favorite teacher. I had lots, usually they were Vaganova teachers, or were high energy and looked at positives, rather than being cruelly critical
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Nutrition, therapy, and movies at lunch.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes.
- What was your piece like? We did Symphony in C, Stars and Stripes, two variations, and original choreography.
- Did your family and friends come? No.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Two students from Paris Opera Ballet School came (my level) for the last two weeks.
- What disappointed you? Not much communication between the studios and residence halls.
- What would you do differently if you could? Not get injured. lol
- What is your best memory? Lots.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Be open to everything!
- Would you do another SI? Of course.
~perfectballerina
By odranoel Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 15, 2005
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:22 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? North Carolina/Virginia (my parents are divorced so my time is split...I dont know if anyone had read my previous posts and was confused because I didnt seem to be able to decide where I was from^^)
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? since I was eleven
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, modern, a bit of jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Triangle Youth Ballet, NC, USA. Decided to stick with local this year....
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Um. Yeah.
- How did you get there? drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Actually, no Ive never been to an intensive before so I decided to stay local for my first year.
- How long did you go for? just a week
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe, variations/repetoire, african, modern, jazz, character
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? well, we also studied stage makeup, anatomy, fitness, pilates, injury prevention, stuff like that...
- Did you have a dress code? yeah. black or burgundy leo, depending on level and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? sort of. I wasnt residential but my pointes did die and i had to leave during lunch one day to go get some more at the closest dance apparel store
- Did you know anyone? no

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?
- What was your roommate like?
- Were you allowed to have a computer?
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
- Did you make any new friends?
- Did you decorate your room?
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
- How was the food?
- Were you homesick?

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Yeah because the steps and curriculum was really easy. Good thing, though, was that the teachers focused a lot more on details and refining the basics.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Yeah; I usually do Russian technique and this was a mix of Balanchine and British
- What was the best advice you received? to "present" my foot to the floor, rather than simply pointing it
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? I just answered that.
- What are some new things you have to work on? perfecting my posture >< especially when en pointe and spinning faster/more rotations
- What triumphs did you have? got a lot of work done on my pirouettes en pointe and in remembering elaborate and lengthy combinations better (haha...variations class.)
- Were there special guest teachers? i dont think so
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Character!! I had never done character dance before
- Did you get an injury? My achilles tendonitis flared up but I danced through it
- Describe your favorite teacher. Started ballet age fourteen , went en pointe at seventeen and STILL was a soloist with Ballet Memphis. She was one of the ones who was very attentive to the tiniest details of your tendu and cared more about the depth of your plie than the number of spins you could do
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yeah during lunch and breaks we watched videos of ballets--ie la fille mal gardee, sleeping beauty, and the dream to name a few

Performance:
- What was your piece like? a selection from Balanchine's The Dream
- Did your family and friends come? no, I told them not to. I was too embarassed. But my dad showed up at the very end of the performance and when I saw him I tripped in my chaines. luckily I didnt fall and was able to improvise my way back into the flow of things.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how easy the steps/combinations taught were
- What disappointed you? It wasnt as challenging as I would have liked
- What would you do differently if you could? at least have auditioned for other intensives instead of just choosing the nearest intensive with the widest class selection
- What is your best memory? practicing during lunch in an empty room, noticing each and every detail of my body
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I pay a lot more attention to the little things and Im pulling back to work more on my basic pirouettes as opposed to learning fouettes/
- Would you do another SI? of course!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about Cant think of anything, thanks though!

Odranoel
By bornforthestage1 Comments: 14, member since Fri Aug 12, 2005
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 02:54 PM
Edited by bornforthestage1 (138478) on 2005-08-12 14:56:06
Where are you from? Upstate new york
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 8 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, modern, lyrical, jazz, hip-hop, tap and some african
- Where did you go? NYIDE which is in auburn NY which is like 3 hours away.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? nope
- How did you get there? my parents drove me the say before and i stayed there for 3 weeks
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? nope this was my first real SI i've been to my studio ones but thier not the same
- What were your daily classes? we had ballet technique,modern technique, (lunch) hip-hop, tap, african, pilates, and then repetory classes. some days we took dance comp and history
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? others
- Did you have a dress code? yes, black leotard, pink tights-the usual
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? almost... i packed 3 pairs and the last day my 3rd pair died.
- Did you know anyone? nope

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? no it was next to the studio
- What was your roommate like? omg so awesome! i loved her
- Were you allowed to have a computer? if we brought one...no one did i think...
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? i think i packed too much junk like books and stuff
- Did you make any new friends? omg yes! i think i made friends with everyone there!
- Did you decorate your room? not really
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? we stayed up as late as we wanted...in retrospect staying up late was not a good idea!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity? we would all hang out in one persons room until like 2 in the morning! and we all went out to lunch everyday
-What was your least favorite residence hall rule? ummm idk we really didnt have alot of rules
- How was the food? we ate out for every meal...alot of subway
- Were you homesick? nope!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. One night we all decided to go out in the middle of the road and do our repetory dances. it was like 2 in the morning! it was so much fun dancing in our sweatpants. our teachers loved it! the director even videotaped us!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? yes! some of the teachers we alot stricker than i'm used to.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes! i'm used to vaganova method and they taught cecchetti.
- What was the best advice you received? to never be embarressed of what other people in the class thought and to just go for it...
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? the classes were alot more intense...hence the name intensive i guess...lol
- What are some new things you have to work on? i didnt realize how bad my turnout was!
- What triumphs did you have? idk...i improved alot in all my classes
- Were there special guest teachers? yes i dont remember all thier names though. they were retired ballerinas.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? i've never done hip-hop battling before and they did that...
- Did you get an injury? no but i was pretty sore the first week.
- Describe your favorite teacher. his name was sean and he was just the best. he was very strict but knew when to stop pushing.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes we had a lot of lectures

Performance:
- What was your piece like? our ballet piece was 9 minutes long! we were literally dancing throughout the whole thing. our modern was fun.
- Did your family and friends come? yes and my dance teacher.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?how nice everyone was...no real competetion.
- What disappointed you? it went by too quickly
- What would you do differently if you could? i would have tried harder all the time.
- What is your best memory? dancing in the road
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i understand modern alot more..
- Would you do another SI? omg yes! in a heartbeat.
By ABTdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 903, member since Fri Jun 10, 2005
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 03:07 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Midwest
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 11 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? American Ballet Theatre Detroit
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes
- How did you get there? I drove there
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes and Yes
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Technique, Pointe, Lunch, then two classes out of: Modern, Jazz, Pilates, Swimming, Rep, Character, etc.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mostly Ballet
- Did you have a dress code? Any colored leotard, pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
- Did you know anyone? Yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No
- What was your roommate like? Very nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer? There was a library on campus
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I brought too many ballet clothes
- Did you make any new friends? Many
- Did you decorate your room? Yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Living on your own with a bunch of friends
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Shopping and relaxing
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I didn't really have one
- How was the food? It was alright
- Were you homesick? A little
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had sleepovers nights that we weren't supposed to ;) Naughty us

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? It was easier than my studio
- What was the best advice you received? I didn't get many corrections
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? It was overall much more simple than at home, and we didn't get corrections
- What are some new things you have to work on? I don't know
- What triumphs did you have? None
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No
- Did you get an injury? No
- Describe your favorite teacher. Melissa Allen, she let us do big jumps and fun combinations.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes
- What was your piece like? Fun, Le Sylphide
- Did your family and friends come? Yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Don got fired
- What disappointed you? Don got fired
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing
- What is your best memory? Having fun
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? None
- Would you do another SI? Yes, but probably not ABT

By TwinkleToez207member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1834, member since Fri Jun 27, 2003
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 07:46 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Ontario, Canada
- How old are you? 18
- How long have you danced? 15 years but I have only done for or 5 years of ballet
- What types of dances do you study?ballet, pointe, tap, jazz, highland, lyrical, etc
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)CPYB!
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes indeed, many times (not the city, but I go to PA a lot)
- How did you get there? A long car ride haha
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Not a true ballet intensive, and no
- What were your daily classes?
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet, but I also had jazz and pilates once a week
- Did you have a dress code? yes, classic black leo (no weierd straps), pink tights, pink flats, hair in a bun
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone? nope

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? about a 10-15 min walk to the warehouse
- What was your roommate like? she was really nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes I did actually, I was quite surprised with myself
- Did you make any new friends? LOTS! and I miss them already
- Did you decorate your room? yeah, with pictures and motivational quotes, and my roomate had string lights (like christmas ones) that were the white colour, it was great haha
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being on my own, I learned a lot about responsibility
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? I loved our hall meetings, we would just sit and talk as a hall, but we did a lot of other great things
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? room check at 930-945
- How was the food? awesome, there was a good selection
- Were you homesick?the first day I was and by the last couple of days I was
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. hall meetings, LOTR, slumber parties, walmart trips, charlie and the chocolate factory- we had so much fun

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not at all, I loved the teachers, and there were soo many, and each had something different to offer
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? some teachers taught different methods
- What was the best advice you received? Oh goodness.... there was soo much
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? actually it is similar to my classes at home, but more strict
- What are some new things you have to work on? using my rotators at ALL times lol
- What triumphs did you have? finding my inner thigh muscles, cleaning up my turns, learning to use the body I have
- Were there special guest teachers? yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? umm... nothing out of the ordinary
- Did you get an injury? my hips were in severe pain (gotta get those checked out) and my tendonitis in my achilles tendons was bad, but nothing new
- Describe your favorite teacher. I had a few.... 1) Laszlo Berdo, he made me want to push myself to my limits,and he taught a great class 2) Christina Hampton- she helped me find my inner thigh muscles and was really inspiring 3) Susan and Gennadi Vostrikov- both were absolutely wonderful 4) Pat sorrell, her class was tough yet very satisfying... the list goes on haha
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes, nutrition, gaynor, careers in dance, college seminar... and there were others but I cant remember them all

Performance:

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? like someone else said, they were more lenient with the hair than I expected (they allowed clips and flowers in your hair)
- What disappointed you? I was in a pretty low level, but they were working on my major problem in ballet
- What would you do differently if you could? umm.... I dont know about that one, maybe go to more night classes
- What is your best memory? the entire 5 weeks
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I have learned that I can never work hard enough
- Would you do another SI? yes forsure, and I would do CPYB again

hmm.... nothing comes to mind right now, but if I think of anything I will post it later

p.s.- this should be a sticky for people to read to get perspectives on different SI's
By Katemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1696, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 06:26 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Yorkshire, UK
- How old are you? 18
- How long have you danced? 3 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, pointe, jazz, cheer-dance
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) RAD Summer School, Birmingham, UK
- How did you get there? Train
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes and No.
- How long did you go for? Only a week
- What were your daily classes? 1 hr 30 ballet technique, 1 hr repetoire, 1 hr contemporary, 1 hr drama
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mainly ballet, but drama and contemporary too.
- Did you have a dress code? Leotard-any colour and style, and pink tights and shoes
- Did you know anyone? No

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? With my cousins
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? About half an hour by car
- What was your roommate like? It was my 3 yr old niece!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? No
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes
- Did you make any new friends? Yes, loads. Everyone in my level was friends by the end
- Did you decorate your room? No
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being nearby and seeing my extended family
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? My cousin took me shopping, and also playing with my niece
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? n/a
- How was the food? We took our own food and drink
- Were you homesick? No
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Playing cards, getting to know people from major full time ballet schools, creating new sections to our drama which would have horrified our teacher if she knew...

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No, although the top studio was kind of hot.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No, I chose RAD summer programme as I'm taking my RAD exam in October and wanted to re-enforce the style.
- What was the best advice you received? To drop my shoulders in 5th, lengthen my arabesque line and really use my plie.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were shorter than my classes back home, and also there was 16 in the class, whereas there is only 5 in my class at home.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Using my turnout better-I found out I have more turnout than I thought, and was being over cautious in the past.
- What triumphs did you have? Finding new turnout, making the top group, more consistant pirouettes
- Were there special guest teachers? No, we had the same teachers each day
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Drama was new to me, and also we used a different style of contemporary than the one I'm used to.
- Did you get an injury? No, but my hips and back are stiff and sore.
- Describe your favorite teacher. I loved Miss Kit, the ballet teacher, as she noticed tiny things about your technique that made a huge difference.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No, although I watched a documentary on Darcey Bussell at my cousins.

Performance:
- What was your piece like? We did a corps piece from Giselle-we were the wilis, and a latino contemporary piece, and in drama we did a murder mystery (*rolls eyes, I hated drama*)
- Did your family and friends come? my mum came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? That I was in the same class as some AMAZING dancers from Elmhurst and Royal Ballet Schools. Also, that even though some dancers all knew each other (there was 5 girls from Elmhurst) and were by far the best in the class, we all hung around together and were treated as equals.
- What disappointed you? I hated the drama, and thought an hour a day was a bit of a waste, I'd rather have spent it doing more ballet.
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing
- What is your best memory? Backstage joking around during the recital
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That if I work hard, I can be equal to people who are amazing
- Would you do another SI? Definately, but not this one again. It just wasn't enough classical work and technique for me.
By Ker_Bear87 Comments: 321, member since Fri Feb 13, 2004
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 02:33 AM
Hello!! I'm almost half asleep right now but I could not resist filling this out before I go to sleep! So I'm sorry if the answers are a little unexciting to read :P

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Hinton, AB
- How old are you?18
- How long have you danced? 4 yrs
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, jazz, lyrical, modern, tap, musical theatre
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ESB summer school
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yuppers
- How did you get there? drive
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? it is my second time at the Summer School
- How long did you go for?2 weeks
- What were your daily classes? we danced from 9-5, having classes of jazz, ballet technique, variations, modern and musical theatre
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? it was a good variety although I would have loved to have more ballet technique
- Did you have a dress code? nothing strict, but within reason.. body suit and tights w/ a bun for ballet .. jazz pants and a tank top for jazz and modern
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no need to :)
- Did you know anyone? the first year i did not, but the second year i did

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? host family
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? umm 20 min bus ride
- What was your roommate like? small! :P
- Were you allowed to have a computer? the family i was staying with had a computer but it was a dinosaur :P
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yeah
- Did you make any new friends? not until the end of the summer school... im really shy, lol!
- Did you decorate your room? nah
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? nothing at all! i missed home! lol
- How was the food? great!
- Were you homesick? yeah
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. oh man, i dont even know where to begin!!!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not really... dance is dance, regardless of where i am, it feels the same
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? i did lots of ballet and jazz in the past, but it was my first experience with modern.... i love it now!!!
- What was the best advice you received? lots of advice about preforming to your fullest
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? hmm pretty much the same i guess!
- What are some new things you have to work on? keeping turn out
- What triumphs did you have? really understanding the purpose of spotting... so i turned my 1 shakey jazz pirouette into a clean double pirouette! *yay!*
- Were there special guest teachers? glen glimour and a few teachers in the edmonton area who are fantasic
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes!! i danced a bit with a boy!
- Did you get an injury? nope :D
- Describe your favorite teacher. hmmm i loved them all!! Kristyn is just fablous ... she dances with so much attitude and style that she should be a dancer for Janet Jackson! Maria was my modern teacher and she made me grow such a strong love for modern. Erin was one of my ballet teachers and I love her to bits cuz shes so goofy! :)
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nah

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yup
- What was your piece like? we had 4 numbers... musical theater-fame, jazz- Tainted love, modern- a beautiful itlaian opera singer, ballet- a character ballet piece and we were all toys
- Did your family and friends come? yuppers!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how nice the teachers were
- What disappointed you? i had a bad experience with one of the teachers and i was disapointed on some of her expectations
- What would you do differently if you could?
- What is your best memory? trying to walk up the 3 flights of stairs after the 2nd day of dance!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? that i must reallllly focus alot on my technique.. i preform it well, so now i must push myself to become a stronger dancers
- Would you do another SI? yea, but probably just the same one
By everdancingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4095, member since Fri Feb 01, 2002
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 08:58 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Hinton AB
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? since i was 3 :)
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, jazz, tap, lyrical, Irish
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) SunDance in Toronto, ON
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I've been to toronto, but not to the sundance program before
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I've been SIs before, but not this particular one
- What were your daily classes? ballet, modern, pointe, repertoire, RAD coaching
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? for level A (the highest), we all took ballet and modern together in the morning, then in the afternoon we were split up into Ballet and Modern (you got to pick which you wanted to concentrate on). I picked ballet, so I did the pointe, repertoire, etc., but if you picked modern you did classes like improvisation, independent composition, modern repertoire, etc.
- Did you have a dress code? yes, but it was reasonable for a SI i though- any colored leo you want (which is good, because no one had to buy new ones just for the summer), pink tights, hair in a bun. for modern we were allowed to wear black tights, tight shorts, or tight capri pants over top too
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? i could've maybe used one more pair for the show, but I was just about ok. I packed 4 pairs, plus one semi-dead pair
- Did you know anyone? no, but within the first 2 days everyone in residence was like we had known each other for years, we got soo close!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms- we were in the ryerson university residence
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? it was about a 10 minute walk
- What was your roommate like? i had 3 "roommates" in a suite (we all had seperate bedrooms but shared a kitchen, living room and bathroom)... 2 of them were absolutely ammmmaaaazzing, I got along with them SOO well. one girl was..well, difficult to live with. but ah well :D
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, some people brought lap tops but I didn't bother. I borrowed one girl's sometimes, or I used the computer in the residence, which was free but always had a huuuuge lineup, since there was only one
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes.. I wish I could've brought my own quilts and pillows and stuff to make my room more homey, but since I flew I didn't have room so I had to use the boring residence stuff, but oh well
- Did you make any new friends? tons! There was a group of 6 of us in residence who were amazingly close, I will never ever forget how awesome they were and how much fun we had together!
- Did you decorate your room? I brought some pictures, but I had a huuuuge bulletin board in my room, so I wish I would have brought more!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I got to make some amazing friends!!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Shopping! We were like 5 minutes away from Yonge Street, so we did lots of shopping lol
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? the 10:30 curfew sucked quite a lot on weekends :( lol
- How was the food? We only got breakfast... don't even get me started on that haha! But we had to make our own lunch and supper... lots of microwaveable dinners lol!! it was ok, but I wish they gave us supper at least haha
- Were you homesick? suprisingly not at all! I had problems with that in previous summers, but I had so much fun in residence with all my friends that I really didn't feel homesick at all. I was actually sad to leave :)
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Oh myyyyyy....we were insane lol! There's far too many to list. Check out my post on the photos-members board for some examples, lol

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not at all... I loved the faculty SO much, particulary Ilara Lopez- she was the most amazing ballet teacher EVER
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no, it was the RAD Canada SI, and I study RAD ballet so it was awesome
- What was the best advice you received? Ms. Lopez told us one day to stop obsessing over our less than perfect bodies... you know, the constant "my feet suck, I have no turnout, etc." that ballet dancers are always going on about. She said something like "When Sylvie Guillem dances, she doesn't have to think... her body can do anything, she has perfect rotation, extension, etc. Unfortunately not everyone's like that, but we need to work with what we have, and push ourselves to not hate out bodies, but to use them to their fullest capacity. It might mean working harder, but it's never impossible." I thought that was SO inspiring!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? not too much different, although I'd never done much modern before so it was really interested to get used to, but I did enjoy it :)
- What are some new things you have to work on? I always need to work on my adage- it's definitely a weak point. Grande rond de jambe en l'air especially!!
- What triumphs did you have? With Ms. Lopez I had SO many triumphs... she always made you feel like you could do things you never thought you could do before... she knew just what to correct so that you could get that extra turn in, or she would give a difficult exercise that I once would have looked at and said "that's bloody impossible!", but instead, with her coaching, I found I could actually do it! I definitely think I improved a lot :)
- Were there special guest teachers? Ms. Lopez's old partner from Brazil taught our class one day, and it was really awesome. Super long barre though! lol
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Modern was mostly new to me, especially the specific Limon technique we did
- Did you get an injury? I have chornic achilles tendonitis which was really bad this summer, but as a dancer you learn to work through the pain I guess
- Describe your favorite teacher. Well I think I already did kinda above
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We went back to residence by 5:30 ish, so our evenings were basically free. We went to some dance performances and stuff though

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, although not too formal
- What was your piece like? We did Waltz of the Hours from Coppelia, and an original piece choreographed by Ms. Lopez that was to Brazilian Samba music... we had straw hats and it was on pointe and everything. It was sooo different and cool!
- Did your family and friends come? No, because they couldn't fly out all the way just to see the performance

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? I'm not sure... I guess it was just like I expected it to be actually
- What disappointed you? Nothing! It was awesome!
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing really
- What is your best memory? Ms. Lopez's classes, and the awesome friends I made
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I think I've really improved, and learned to not be afraid to challenge myself and push my limits
- Would you do another SI? well I always do SIs... but I would definitely go back to this one if Ms. Lopez was teaching again! :D

*Heather*
By Bananafeet Comments: 26, member since Sat May 28, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 01:55 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Indianapolis
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 12 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, modern, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Washington School of Ballet in Washington, DC
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I've been to DC on a school trip before.
- How did you get there? We drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Yes-Boston Dancelab
Have you been to THIS program before? No
- What were your daily classes? Technique, Pointe or Pas, another class (jazz, modern, pas, pilates, variations, contemporary) then Workshop (rehearsal)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mostly ballet, but our level had a lot of modern
- Did you have a dress code? Yes: Black leotard, pink tights. On Friday we could wear any color leotard and black tights for workshop.
- Did you know anyone? Yes, my roommate

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? about 1/2 hr on the bus, sometimes longer sometimes shorter
- What was your roommate like? Awesome, sweet, funny
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes
- Did you make any new friends? Tons,we had a lot of friends in our level and in higher and lower ones. We made a bunch of friends on our floor.
- Did you decorate your room? Yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Hanging otu with everyone all the time.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Trip to the Kirov Ballet's dress rehearsal of Le Corsaire
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? no sleepovers
- How was the food? I cooked it, it was alright
- Were you homesick? Nope
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had a fight with sour milk and brownies once in our room. It was kind of crazy.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Nope
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Depending on the teacher, some were different, some were the same.
- What was the best advice you received? "Don't do schmallet, do ballet" and "You're either a dancer or you're not; there's no in between"
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? One teacher was more Balanchine style, one was more Russian style. One teacher was similar to what I have at home. It was a great mix.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Not new, but continuing to work on placement
- What triumphs did you have? Turning better
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes: Karen Brown from Kansas City Ballet, Merrill Ashley, John Selya, Christian Holder
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? We had partnering
- Did you get an injury? No
- Describe your favorite teacher. I had two that I really enjoyed. One was very sweet, and very personal. Her class was really fun, and her combos were pretty. She gave lots of personal corrections and you could tell she really cared about her students, and wanted to help them as much as she could in the 5 weeks. She would talk to people after class, and spent time with everyone. She helped me try to fix problems I had had for years.
The other one was really funny, but not really as personal. He gave corrections to the whole class, but would tell people if they were right or wrong. You really had to pay attention and think about what he said, and if you did it would work. It was amazing how when you did what he said, you could easily do whatever you were trying to do.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?
We had Dance History, but it was during the day.
Performance:
- What was your piece like? We had a modern piece which was a waltz. It was really pretty, and looked good (I think). We also performed variations from Raymonda
- Did your family and friends come? Yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The amazing teachers
- What disappointed you? The class sizes were bigger than I expected (over 30 instead of 25)
- What would you do differently if you could? Smaller classes
- What is your best memory? All the people I met: friends and teachers
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Doing ballet not schmallet. Clean technique in class
- Would you do another SI? Yes...in fact I can't wait to go back to WSB next year!
By manhattanizedxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Sat Dec 06, 2003
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 02:50 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New York
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? This will be my fifth year
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Pointe, Jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Boston Conservatory
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope, I had never been to Boston previously
- How did you get there? Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Yeah, Albany Berkshire Ballet Have you been to THIS program before? Nope
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Modern & Pilates.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? See above.
- Did you have a dress code? No, I wore mainly just a leo and tights, but sometimes I wore black tights for Modern, or a skirt/shorts in ballet. It was really relaxed, they didnt care what you wore
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Haha, in the Pointe audition I slipped and got put into Pilates instead, so i have plenty of pointes for this year.
- Did you know anyone? Nope.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, but the dining hall was about 2 blocks away and the studios were across the back alley..
- What was your roommate like? I had 3 and we all bonded
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yup, I took my mom's old Mac laptop and it was good, i was one of the only people to get the internet though, it kind of depended where your room was in the dorm
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Oh yeah, I brought almost all of my leotards and a ton of tights.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes! everyone in the dorm was so sweet
- Did you decorate your room? Not at all. I brought my bedspread from home and thats all orange and pink striped, but that was about it.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I'm not sure. It was like a constant party in the dorm haha.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We went to Jacob's Pillow and that was so cool because we saw Savion Glover. It was great.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? The 9pm curfew even on weekends. You couldnt do anything
- How was the food? Horrible. We ate in the berkee cafe, and it was godawful.
- Were you homesick? Not really. I called home alot on my cell, but everyone was so nice and stuff that i wasnt really homesick i guess. Also, since there was internet, I IMed and emailed alot, so that was good.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We played Taboo. The boys room was the party room late at night haha.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not especially but I really didn't enjoy the ballet class I was put into. I felt it was below my level, but the next class up was too advanced. So i felt kind of mismatched.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No, it wasn't a really set syllibus
- What was the best advice you received? My teacher spent alot of time on the presentation and form of the foot and that helped me since my feet sickle when I'm not thinking about it, so that time benefitted me because in class today i noticced in the mirror my foot actually looked semi winged and that made me happy haha
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They werent that different. There was alot of personal attention, and that's quite similar to my other studio.
- What are some new things you have to work on? My rotation. We also spent some time talking about turnout and using the rotation properly, so I came home with a new sense of that.
- What triumphs did you have? The floor was the dirtyest, stickyest marley I've ever come into contact with, so i turned badly on it, but during the last days I was actually doing multiple turns so I was happy about that. Oh, and I killed a new pair of canvas slippers in 3 weeks. They were so holey and stuff so that made me feel like i was really using my articulation.
- Were there special guest teachers? I had Denise Pons for ballet. She was the regular teacher, but she was like aguest teacher to me.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Modern! I have never done it before, and I love it now. I'm inspired to take a class this year.
- Did you get an injury? I came in with chronicly bad knees. I've dislocated my knee twice so i worked alot on strengthening and my alignment and stuff.
- Describe your favorite teacher. TOmmy Neblett was the modern teacher and I loved him. He was really helpful and I just enjoyed his class also.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes, oh my god. The faculty dance tradtions were so interesting, members of the faculty talked about their lives and how they got to be who they are. The other lectures were the most boring things i've ever witnessed in my entire life. They were videos on the hypothetical question, "what is race?" They were terrible and everyone hated them. On mondays and fridays we had a piece set on us by a senior at the boco. It was to the theme of the triplets of belleville. So fun :]

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, it was more of a classroom demonstration than a performance though.
- What was your piece like? Just stuff we had been working on the past few weeks.
- Did your family and friends come? My family came.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
- What disappointed you? i wasn't disappointed really, it just was different than my expectations
- What would you do differently if you could? I wouldn't have been so nervous in the auditon because i feel like if i worked reallly really ridiculously hard i could have had a shot at the next level. But i tried, and well its bygones now.
- What is your best memory? Probably in the Berklee cafe, because that is where most of the "bonding" happened.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
- Would you do another SI? Yup, but probably not at Boston Conservatory.

katy
By pmballerina Comments: 79, member since Fri Nov 14, 2003
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:40 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Seattle, Washington
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 6 years going on 7
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet mostly and sometimes Modern or Jazz
- Where did you go? Houston Ballet in Texas
- How did you get there? Airplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Yes
-Have you been to THIS program before? No
- How long did you go for? 6 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet Technique, Pointe, Pas de Duex,Modern, Jazz, Variations,salsa,character, repetoire
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, Saphire leotards
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, I brought 6 pairs
- Did you know anyone? No

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Only about 5 minutes by car
- What was your roommate like? very nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yep
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yep
- Did you make any new friends? YES TONS!
- Did you decorate your room? no
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? All of the other people that lived there
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Astroworld Six Flags
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? having to be in your room at 10:00
- How was the food? pretty good no great not bad
- Were you homesick? a little
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. ummm...there were sooo many can't even start to describe!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No, I loved it!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? A little bit but it was easy to get used to
- What was the best advice you received? Don't just do the steps protray something through them
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? It was more of the classical whereas my studio is more Balanchine
- What are some new things you have to work on? straightening knees completely...tons of things
- What triumphs did you have? getting through the program
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, Lauren Anderson, Kathy Yo...
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Character and Salsa I had not done before but it was a lot of fun:)
- Did you get an injury? Nope
- Describe your favorite teacher. Phillip Broomhead was my favorite! He just payed attention to everyone and I felt like I improved everytime I took his class
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nope

Performance:
- What was your piece like? Well I did Snow Corps from the Nutcracker, Salsa Piece, and a choreography piece that was very contemporary and a lot of fun
- Did your family and friends come? no

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? All of the amazing teachers
- What disappointed you? not having Stanton Welch teach
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing
- What is your best memory? that last performance we had
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? keep on working as hard as I can
- Would you do another SI? Yep:) I will hopefully go to Houston's Summer program again next summer I loved it:)
Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch