Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
nice survey
By dancingurl11 Comments: 44, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:59 PM
I'm glad you took the time to do the survey, I found it very informative and I'm sure others will as well. Auditions for most SI's will start in December and Jan., so getting a first hand account of different experiences might help someone choose which SI they would like to attend. Good Job.
re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By SugarplumSweetie Comments: 114, member since Thu Dec 23, 2004
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 09:22 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Michigan
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 7 years
- What types of dances do you study? Mostly ballet, also modern and jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) CPYB/ Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? My parents drove me.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I have only gone to my studio's intensive before so I never went to this program before.
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 3 ballet technique and one pointe class.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Primarily ballet but I signed up for jazz too so I had jazz on Saturdays.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes; Plain black leotards and pink tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
- Did you know anyone? I didn't know anyone when I went there but I made alot of friends.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Host family
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? My host family lived about 5 minutes away if you traveled by car but I usually walked.
- What was your roommate like? I didn't have one.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? They had a computer that I was allowed to use in the house.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I think so.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes
- Did you decorate your room? Not really
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I actually got along with my parents and I had alot more freedom.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?
- How was the food? The food was delicious.
- Were you homesick? Not at all.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? At first I did, but then I got used to it.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? Too many to remember
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? It was way more intense.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Controlling and strengthening my movements; turns from a la seconde.
- What triumphs did you have? I built strength and cleaned up my pirouettes and jumps tremendously.
- Were there special guest teachers? There were a few
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No
- Did you get an injury? My tendonitis started to come back but it was fine.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Christina Hampton - She always knew how to make us use her corrections to improve as much as we could.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? There were seminars sometimes.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No
- What was your piece like? N/A
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much I improved.
- What disappointed you? Leaving
- What would you do differently if you could? Stretch more in between classes.
- What is your best memory? Just the whole experience.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? It made me love dancing so much more and now I know how to fix a movement when I do it wrong.
- Would you do another SI? Definitely
By twirlabelle Comments: 349, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:36 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Wisconsin
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced?Since I was 33, so about 12 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet mainly, and pointe and modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Milwaukee Ballet School Pre-Professional Summer Intensive, Milwaukee, WI
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I commuted because i live nearby, so yes
- How did you get there? by car, or bus depending on the day
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Well i went to a dance camp, not an intensive so kinda and no
- How long did you go for? 6 very longggggg weeks
- What were your daily classes? Every day we had ballet for an 1hour and 30 minutes, then pointe for an hour, and then variations for an hour. In the afternoon, the schedule changed by the week but it was usually an hour of a style class, and then a 2 hour rehearsal
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet, but every week we had a different style class and then each level gt to perform one piece in the show off of that style, either jazz, modern, character, pilates or african
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, any black leo and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? well i didn't have to pack any, but I kept running out. Luckily, I got more :)
- Did you know anyone? Yes, all of my best friends from dance did the program as well

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? well, i stayed in the dorms for a week when my family went on vacation
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? some class were at the campus of the dorms, UW-Milwaukee. Other timems we took a bus for like 15 minutes down to the studios
- What was your roommate like? I absolutely loved my roommates!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, they really didn't care
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yeas, I was only there for a week so I brought a oton of stuff, like my Playstation 2 and my dance dacne revolution!
- Did you make any new friends? tons and tons
- Did you decorate your room? A little, but other people went all out
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being free to do whatever, and being with people who actually wanted to stretch with you lol
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Noah's Ark, a totally awesome waterpark, although it did rain on the day we went and tornados were spotted causing a mass break for the exits, but whatever, I still had a blast!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Signing out to go everywhere, even if you wanted to walk downstairs, you had to
- How was the food? Not the best, but you could littereally go anywhere you wanted if you signed out and returned within curfew, so we went out to eat a lot
- Were you homesick? not really
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We once took a trip to Noodles and almost got kicked out because we were too loaud...it was hilarious!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? as it was my home studioo, no :)
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Nope
- What was the best advice you received? that everything you d in class matters. you can't slack off. Everyday you don't give 200% is another day you have to spend in the studio, rather than going out into the professional world.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Again, the were just normal for me
- What are some new things you have to work on? Turnout, definitely. Dennis, the ballet master is sooooo incredibly strict about techinique and he really opened my eyes for how much i need to work.
- What triumphs did you have? Consistent triples on the right on flat, and perfect partnered turns ( I had to do a series of them in the performance.. I nearly passed out when i heard that lol )
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, the ballet master and mistress for Milwaukee Ballet taught as well as company dancers, faculty, and previous dancers with Milwaukee Ballet
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes much partnering, and having the most difficult choreography in my life
- Did you get an injury? Infected and bruised toenails, but they fell off (Eh it was so gross :( )
- Describe your favorite teacher. Tatiana Jouravel, she is a dancer with the company and is just the sweetest lady I have ever known. Her classes were, she was very motivational, and she complimented you but still made you want to work your butt off.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We hada Nutrition/ injury seminar

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, three shows
- What was your piece like? It was called Classical Symphony, and was absolutely amazing. It has been the piece for the summer prgrams level 1 and 2 for sixteen years now because everyone has loved it. Its really really intensive corps work, even the eight main "fly girls" are still corps, but man it was hard to learn...I was sooo happy when we finally pulled it all together!
- Did your family and friends come? Yes, my mom and dad and my sisters and my aunt and my friends

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How Much I could learn in six weeks from all the different teachers
- What disappointed you? At one point during the program when I had my toe injury, I coulddn't do pointe, and my teacher that week told me that I was a slack-off dancer, and from then on ignored me in everything I did. I was crushed because there was nothing i could do about it, and nearly everyone in my class thought it was unfair as well. Oh well, you can't change teachers...
- What would you do differently if you could? I would have switched to Capezio Glisse's right in the beginning, noot at the end. My shoes before that didn't work for my feet, and I suffered because of it
- What is your best memory? everything!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That if I really want to make it, i really have to work for it.
- Would you do another SI? Most definitely, and i'll probably do Milwaukee again in a couple years

Great survey!
-twirl-
By GuMbIdUcK Comments: 80, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 07:18 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Michigan
- How old are you? 15.. soon to be 16
- How long have you danced? since i was 4.
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet- and everything that goes along with that.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Miami City Ballet. Miami, FL.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, I went to a different SI in southern FL last year.
- How did you get there? Airplane.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I have been to Blue Lake, ABT Detroit, BalletMet and Harid before. This was my first year at MCB.
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe/partnering, rep, gyro/jazz. jazz and partnering were once a week.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was maily ballet with one jazz class per week.
- Did you have a dress code? Any leotard, pink tights. Warmups and skirts werent allowed though many wore them anyways.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no... but i had planned on ordering some while i was there so it worked out.
- Did you know anyone? nope

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? yes, like a 30-45 minute bus ride.
- What was your roommate like? She was the AWESOME!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes, but i didnt bring mine
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Um, i guess so, but i wish that i had brought my computer.
- Did you make any new friends? yes!
- Did you decorate your room? haha, yeah. My roommate and i drew posters and stuff and put them on our doors
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? i dunno... i like being at home.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? beach!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? um... i dont really have one.. there werent any rules that bugged me or anything.
- How was the food? depended on the day. sometimes it was gross and sometimes it was good.
- Were you homesick? nope
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. too many to describe... walking to target in a hurricane, seeing a shark at the beach, getting freaked out by weird people on the street, playing on the scales at publix lol.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? the floors were stickier than i am used to, but i got used to it quickly.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? somewhat, but not much different- I loved it!
- What was the best advice you received? To always push to get through all the fouettes, etc., and to finish combinations.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? We did more jumping that i was used to. It is more balanchine that i was used to also.
- What are some new things you have to work on? they arent new... but not rolling in, staying up in full releve, arms/hands, everything pretty much!
- What triumphs did you have? um, no triumphs really, but i did improve like all around. I wasnt able to instantly do 10 pirouettes, but i got a lot of advice on stuff to work on.
- Were there special guest teachers? Edward Villella.. though i would have prefered NOT to have him.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? We had partnering.. but it wasnt new to me. We did the bluebird lift which was fun, and a few other tricks. Oh and deep penches en pointe during Iliana Lopez's classes.
- Did you get an injury? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. Catoya. She was the sweetest person ever who cared about our whole class. She pushed us to work hard, although not everyone did. She was just amazing, as a dancer and as a teacher.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? we did 2 sections from la source... It was SO fun!
- Did your family and friends come? nope

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How caring the teachers were.
- What disappointed you? The attitudes of a lot of the girls in my class
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing
- What is your best memory? the whole summer!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? ...
- Would you do another SI? of course!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...
By silvery_starsPremium member Comments: 1934, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:36 AM
Hey gumbleduck, did you know a girl named Mary Grace from Massachusetts? She goes to my school (or still does, but I moved away).
On Sun Aug 21, 2005 06:30 PM
Edited by silvery_stars (117340) on 2005-08-21 18:32:58
Edited by silvery_stars (117340) on 2005-08-21 18:39:01
haha, now I answer my own survey! Hope it's not too dull!

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Newton, MA
- How old are you? 22
- How long have you danced? 3 years...well, I did creative when I was 4-5, ballet at 6, and tap until I was 16. I did not like tap and yearned for ballet. At 19, I started ballet.
- What types of dances do you study? ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Boston Ballet Adult Summer Dance at Boston Ballet Metrowest in...NEWTON!
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Uh, YAH!
- How did you get there? Bike
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no and no
- How long did you go for? one week, Aug 15-19
- What were your daily classes? Pilates, Int/Advanced Technique, Repetory
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Well, Pilates was in there.
- Did you have a dress code? Leotards and tights, or close-fitting clothes and tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I have not been authorized to use those

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? at home-ish
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? like three miles by bike, very nice
- What was your roommate like? lol!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? LOL!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Well, in terms of bringing stuff to class, I didn't NEED to bring a theraband, legwarmers, muscle rub salve, tape, shorts...
- Did you make any new friends? Sorta, yeah!
- Did you decorate your room?
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
- How was the food? Whatever I threw together for myself every night at 10pm
- Were you homesick?
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Uh, we had a cocktail party after the master class, at which NO ONE got tipsy.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Sort of. The room is rectangular and the mirror is on the narrower wall, which is lame when the class is big. I also didn't always like my teacher's style.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Uh, kinda. My last school was Balanchine and the BB is Vaganova. You can kind of tell, but I can't explain how :) Fortunately, I love both.
- What was the best advice you received? It's okay to lean forward a tiny bit when standing and dancing
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Not much. There was nothing about it that made it seem more "intensive" than an ordinary class.
- What are some new things you have to work on? oh, geez, pirouettes, balance, strength, flexibility. Especially strength.
- What triumphs did you have? I got a bit better at pirouettes, I managed to do a pirouette attittude and pirouette arabesque adequately. I stopped messing up barre combinations because I figured out more about HOW to focus.
- Were there special guest teachers? Mikko Nissinen, artistic director for the Boston Ballet
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? I tried Pilates and I LOVE it. It's my new favorite exercise and I'm on a mission to find more classes.
- Did you get an injury? Not really. I kind of pulled something up high in my thigh and one day my knee hurt, but nothing serious.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Ellie, my Pilates teacher. She was so friendly and knowledgeable and not afraid to challenge us.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Sadly, no.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No, thank goodness! But we did perform our Rep piece for a few waiting spouses and families/friends.
- What was your piece like? We did the Garland Waltz from the Kirov's Sleeping Beauty. I'm not sure how "dumbed down" it was, but I'm under the impression that it was fairly authentic.
- Did your family and friends come? nope

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? I was among the youngest students.
- What disappointed you? There were SO many people! I hope they don't do that again, because it made it hard to get attention and not rush class. The teacher was a little frustrating. Also, I ordered a leotard to wear and it never came.
- What would you do differently if you could? Stretched more before
- What is your best memory? Learning the Garland Waltz, getting turns a bit better, discovering Pilates
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Grace and freedom comes from physical strength and I need to work hard on that. I also want to see exactly how far I can go and improve, and just always take class for the next ten years.
- Would you do another SI? YES! Like a real one! Like in Richmond, maybe.

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... I made strawberry banana muffins yesterday...they came out well.
By Freakodance Comments: 78, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Sun Aug 21, 2005 09:08 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Winder, PA
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? 13yrs
- What types of dances do you study? Modern, Tap, Jazz, Lyrical, Pointe, Ballet and occasionaly hiphop
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, ect.) this year ive went to the Wisahickon dance academy/international ballet exchange located in philadelphia pa
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes i went to this intensive in 2003
- How did you get there? drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes i have been to Pittsburg Youth Ballet, southwest ballet, and plymoth state university in NH...i was also at this camp before
- How long did you go for? three weeks
- What were your daily classes? mon/wed/fri~Ballet, Pointe, Yoga, variations Tue/thur~ ballet, modern, jazz, floor bare, variations
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mostly ballet
- Did you have a dress code? kinda but not really
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?yes
- Did you know anyone?yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?host family
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? well it was 2 miles from the studio and like a 20 min drive because well its philly
- What was your roommate like? my best friend
- Were you allowed to have a computer?yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?yes
- Did you make any new friends?yes
- Did you decorate your room?a bit
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? being away from home
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? eating
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? i was at a host family
- How was the food? good
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. hmmm on the way driving to philly normally a 4 hour drive it took us 7 hours to get there because nikkis muffler fell off the car when we were 150 miles from home...it was really hot out and we sat on the turnpike for an hour waiting for help

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? nope
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes
- What was the best advice you received? in modern/jazz class keeping your weight forward almost like your goign to fall at any given moment
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? more classical and strict
- What are some new things you have to work on?tighter fifth position, weight forward in the parralell
- Were there special guest teachers? yes we had Inna and Vadin Yog...i dono how to spell it but they are international superstars
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? pilates
- Did you get an injury? yes i fell down the steps and sprained my ankle
- Describe your favorite teacher. Donald Lunsford a very wonderfully motivating jazz/modern teacher
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nope

Performance:
- What was your piece like? my solo was the angel dance from don qui...whatever that ballet is
- Did your family and friends come? yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? nothing really
- What disappointed you? too much ballet
- What would you do differently if you could?
- What is your best memory? jazz n modern
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? many many to many to describe
- Would you do another SI? yes most definitly

summer intensives are wonderful...you dont realize how much you learn until you look back on it
By GuMbIdUcK Comments: 80, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Mon Aug 22, 2005 01:56 PM
yeah, i know who mary grace is.. i didnt really hang out with her or anything. she was in 7B
By balanchina815 Comments: 2, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:33 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?- new jersey
- How old are you?- 16
- How long have you danced?- 5 years
- What types of dances do you study?- mostly ballet, but a little modern and jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)- miami city ballet, miami, florida usa
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?- no (but i live in the usa)
- How did you get there?- plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? yes
-Have you been to THIS program before? no
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe, reperatoire and gyrotonics
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily ballet
- Did you have a dress code? not really, we could wear any color leotard but we had to wear pink tights UNDER our leotards! and pink ballet shoes and pink pointe shoes (but thats obvious)
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yup
- Did you know anyone? not really

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? yes 30-45 minutes
- What was your roommate like? she was awesome! we clicked right away!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes but they didnt provide them
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? mostly
- Did you make any new friends? yes, a TON!!
- Did you decorate your room? oh yeah!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the social aspect of it; we were able to become really good friends with people
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? we went to the beach ALL THE TIME! it was awesome!!!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? that we couldnt even leave the residence hall during the hurricane (that never came!)
- How was the food? ok, nothing special but not terrible
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. oh wow, there are A LOT of those; we spent sooo much time at the beach, we accidentally ended up on a nude beach! lol oh and there was a tiki beach party at the end (it was organized by mcb. it was pretty cool) those are 2

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? nope
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? slightly
- What was the best advice you received? to be confident in my technique and learn to really dance (aka present myself, use my epaulement, move bigger etc.) and not to judge myself while i'm dancing
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? it was more balanchine than my studio but i loved it!
- What are some new things you have to work on? my fouettes (well thats not really new) and coordinating my arms, head and legs! thats tough!
- What triumphs did you have? my teachers saw major improvement in my performance quality and i ended up getting a solo in the show
- Were there special guest teachers? no, not really
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yeah we had pas de deux classes once a week
- Did you get an injury? well, i broke my toe but that's because i fell off my bunk bed! lol
- Describe your favorite teacher. her name is mary carmen catoya and she is probably one of the 3 best teachers i've ever had!!(they all tie for first!) she was so encouraging and loved hard workers! she worked our class REALLY hard! we became really close; we both cried a lot when it was over.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nope

Performance:
- What was your piece like? we did Balanchine's La Source, i really liked it
- Did your family and friends come? just my mom

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much i ended up loving it
- What disappointed you? nothing
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing that i can think of
- What is your best memory? soooooo many but probably when mary carmen told me that i was one of her favorite students ever
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? to just let go and dance and to not be so hard on myself in class
- Would you do another SI? definitely, hopefully mcb's!!!
hope this helps!
By honeybeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2370, member since Sat Dec 08, 2001
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:15 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? BC Canada
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? 3.5 years
- What types of dances do you study? Mostly ballet but also modern and jazz
- Where did you go? Arts Umbrella in Vancouver BC
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes
- How did you get there? I live within reason to drive there every morning!
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes and Yes
- How long did you go for? 3 weeeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Pointe, Modern, Jazz, Rep and depending on the week either stretch or movement
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet
- Did you have a dress code? any color leotard, pink tights for ballet.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yep
- Did you know anyone? yep

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Neither but there are no dorms so people billet.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? N/A
- What was your roommate like? n/a
- Were you allowed to have a computer? n/a
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? n/a
- Did you make any new friends? n/a
- Did you decorate your room? n/a
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? n/a
- How was the food?
- Were you homesick?

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no because I had attended before
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received? work hard!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? they were quite similar. (Checcetti ballet)
- What are some new things you have to work on? Stretching my knees fully
- What triumphs did you have? many :)
- Were there special guest teachers? yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? nope :|
- Did you get an injury? no thank god!
- Describe your favorite teacher.. funny but lead a constructive class
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nope.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? A small demo
- What was your piece like? Just some variations from dance class

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The sort of odd scedule.
- What disappointed you? Sometimes teachers were late and that cuts into class
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing!
- What is your best memory? having tons of fun with new friends and great classes
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I have to work harder
- Would you do another SI? Probably not at the same place

By balletbabe289 Comments: 95, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Tue Sep 20, 2005 02:06 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? atlanta ga
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 3years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, jazz, modern, lyrical
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Joffrey SI in Milledgville Ga...Elie Lazar taught!!
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Not to Milledgville but yes I have been in ga before lol!
- How did you get there? My parents drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No and No
- How long did you go for? 2weeks
- What were your daily classes? Technique(2hrs), pointe (1hr and half), ballet (1hr and a half), variations/pas (1hr)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Just ballet! For rehearsal though at night we did some contemporary pieces...
- Did you have a dress code? Yes black ballet leo and pink tights with pink ballet/pointe shoes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
- Did you know anyone? I went with my friend Natalie, but we made friends really fast!!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It was a 10 to 15 min walk, in the mornings we had a shuttle to take us
- What was your roommate like? My friend Natalie, we went together and have been bffs since like kindergarten.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yeah
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yeah I overpacked...better safe than sorry
- Did you make any new friends? Yeah it was so much fun!
- Did you decorate your room? YEAH!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Having your own space and feeling like you were in collge and totally dependent on yourselves. It was soo much fun!!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We didnt' have any...considering we were in a SMALL town...but some of us did just like leave and go out and have a toga party and went out to eat. Tht was fun!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? You are not allowed to go out without a chaperone. And then telling us they'd go out with us if we wanted to go downtown...and then never did.
- How was the food? really good! Not healthy food, but it was still good!
- Were you homesick? Somedays
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We said that we were just going to walk around campus when we actually had a toga party and walked around dowtown, sat in a restaurant for like 15 min then found out it was closed. Then walke dto the "huddle house" (lol) and ate food there, the last night of camp so much fun!!!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? the studio wasn't huge and it wasn't the nicest thing in the world..but you get use to it
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? I dont remember lol
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Much more strict, alot more ballet.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Keeping my shoulders square in port de bras back and my frappes (yuck)
- What triumphs did you have? I got soooooo much more strength and my extensions got sooo much better. My technique became MUCH BETTER and more stable. I also got better en pointe (feet stronger)and can do petit allegro now alot better!!
- Were there special guest teachers? No, but having Elie Lazar and Valerie from Joffrey company is enough as guest teachers
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yeah partnering!! So much fun!
- Did you get an injury? Yeah shin splints and something in my ankle, but I forgot
- Describe your favorite teacher. They were both great teachers!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No...they said there would be though...

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yeah
- What was your piece like? We did a ballet, a pas, and contemporary piece
- Did your family and friends come? yeah my parents and my two friends

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? That I actualy enjoyed it...I was dreading it SOO much
- What disappointed you? When it was over...
- What would you do differently if you could? Go to one in a larger city/town/etc
- What is your best memory? everything was alot of fun
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? You have to work in order to become the best dance you want to be...it won't come easily
- Would you do another SI?
Yeah...Im starting to look into another one
By IvoryCiaramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 267, member since Sat Nov 20, 2004
On Sun Oct 09, 2005 02:12 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? California
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 2 years and 9 months
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, and as of about a month ago jazz and tap also
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Kansas City, Missouri
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? no
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no and no
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet Technique, pointe, stretch, and a rotating schedule of jazz and variations
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily ballet
- Did you have a dress code? solid colored leotard and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone? No, which was definitely kind of scary for me.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms at the Kansas City Art Institute
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, it was just a 15 minute bus ride.
- What was your roommate like? Both my roomates were younger than me, but we got along well.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? I think so, although I'm not sure if anyone had one.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes.
- Did you make any new friends? definitely
- Did you decorate your room? All I did was put up some posters that they were giving away at the studio.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? The feeling of independence
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? It's hard to pick, but probably seeing Footloose at the Starlight Theatre
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Having to find someone to go with you every time you wanted to go downstairs.
- How was the food? It was okay, not bad, but not spectacular.
- Were you homesick? Not at all.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Going on the log ride at the amusement park, Worlds of Fun, and rocking the little log like crazy.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No, but the classes were much more structured and disciplined than I was accustomed to, which I really liked.
- What was the best advice you received? That you need to take risks.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They included much more center work than I had ever done at my home sutdio, but combinations at the barre were in general much shorter and simpler.
- What are some new things you have to work on? proper grande jetes (rather than saut de chats), arabesque turns
- What triumphs did you have? Finally getting a perfect double pirouette, getting solid pirouettes en dedans on pointe, and getting through a long petit allegro combination correctly!
- Were there special guest teachers? There were teachers that weren't members of the regular faculty at the school, but most of them were there for the whole program.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No.
- Did you get an injury? :( No, but the huge increase in the amount of time I was dancing really aggravated this weird toe-joint issue I have.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Ms. Webber, who I had the first week, really inspired me. She doesn't dance professionally anymore, but she still has the most amazing extensions and the like. She always kept class fun but gave really good advice.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No, unless you count the inevitable repeated viewings of Center Stage.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No.
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How incredibly talented people are.
- What disappointed you? The amount of downtime between classes.
- What would you do differently if you could? I would have worked much, much harder.
- What is your best memory? I can't really pick a best one, but one that stands out was when I first walked into the largest studio and was just totally in awe.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That I'm really, really far behind of my age group, but also that I really have come really far considering how long I've been dancing.
- Would you do another SI? Absolutely.
By flutterfeet91 Comments: 123, member since Sat Aug 20, 2005
On Sun Dec 04, 2005 09:53 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Texas
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 10-11 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, jazz, hip hop, repertoire,
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Ballet Austin in Austin, Texas USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes to visit cousins and for a math contest
- How did you get there? my mom drove me
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no the both questions
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? technique, pas de deux, character, jazz, modern, seminar, pointe, repertoire
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? others also but primary focus was on ballet
- Did you have a dress code? solid color leo
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? i only used one pair of pointes
- Did you know anyone? my best friend and i went together

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? about 5 mins
- What was your roommate like? it was my best friend so...
- Were you allowed to have a computer? if you wanted to bring it
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? i packed to many clothes but otherwise yeah
- Did you make any new friends? most definately
- Did you decorate your room? yeah we went decorating crazy
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the freedom
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? going swimming at Barton Springs
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? i don't know our rules weren't very strict
- How was the food? pretty good for dorm food
- Were you homesick? a little

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? i didn't like the teachers very much because they were biased toward the students that came from their school
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes
- What was the best advice you received? ????
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? more "cautious" and more contemporary
- What are some new things you have to work on? forgeting what they told me was right because my training doesn't teach alot of the stuff they did
- What triumphs did you have? i did become a slightly better turnner
- Were there special guest teachers? Ariana Lallone from PNB
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? partnering and character
- Did you get an injury? i discovered some tendonitis in my right foot
- Describe your favorite teacher. she taught modern and she reminded me of edna modde from the incredibles. she was crazy, but she was awesome.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? there were lectures at the end of a few of the days

Performance:
- What was your piece like? stupid it was to acadian music. it was a strange piece
- Did your family and friends come? my mom, brother, and grandma came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? it was really really really...easy
- What disappointed you?it was really really really...easy
- What would you do differently if you could? ???????
- What is your best memory? wowing everyone on pointe cause i could actually do pointe
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? my teacher totally rock and i will never take them for granted again
- Would you do another SI? yeah

I would only recommend it for younger students.
By ToplessBob Comments: 65, member since Fri Jun 17, 2005
On Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:00 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Florida
- How old are you? 13 turning 14
- How long have you danced? 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, jazz, lyrical, modern, hip hop, pointe, tap, (alot more that i cant think of!)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Miami Ballet, Orlando, or Central Florida Ballet, i am going to go to New Dimensions Dance team's si (my home school!) (all in Florida)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes, i live in Fl.
- How did you get there?my mom drives me
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? (for the ND DT) yes
- How long did you go for? 2 weeks (the full time)
- What were your daily classes? all listed above under what i study including : stretch, conditioning, rep., variation, charicter
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? the first half of the day is all ballet, pointe & variations on pointe! so yes, but we do many other things as well
- Did you have a dress code? yes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes, i baught 1 new pair, & it lasted the whole 2 weeks! *hehe* but im only on my second year of pointe!
- Did you know anyone? almost every 1 there was on the dance team! (including me) so yes, but i did get to know a few other people from other places!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? i lived with my family! (we live about 5 miles away!)
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?um like i said, no i live 5 miles away
- What was your roommate like? well, my best friend did spend the night every night, so it was great!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? ya!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? um, it is my room, so i had already decorated it!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? i didnt live away from home!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? the day after the si is the dance team audition, so after that, some one always throws a party for any one that auditions
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?um, its basically a house rule (since it is my house!) um, lights our @, at least 11 PM
- How was the food? yummmm! i love my mom's cooking!
- Were you homesick?
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. ummmmmmm to many to remember!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no!
- What was the best advice you received? never listen to anyone who doesnt under stand why you dance so much!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? the teachers that the main choriographer(sp??) brought in from various companies made for a hard time adjusting to the different types of dance that we hadent done! (we had to do salsa & there are only 2 guys in the hole si!) as well as the charicter teacher! he was hard to understand! (he had a HEAVY accent!)
- What are some new things you have to work on? foutee's on pointe!(its only my second year, but im already trying to practice them!)
- What triumphs did you have? i was able to do my foutee's better @ the end!
- Were there special guest teachers?
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? um, salsa!
- Did you get an injury? i pulled a muscle from the strengthening class! but that is about it!
- Describe your favorite teacher.my favorite teacher taught us a group variation on pointe to a very up beat, salsa/spanishey song! (my normal pointe teacher believes in the more clasical pointe that is very light and feminine!)
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? a local theater, but we will not go there again, because it is supposidly haunted, & every time they would try to turn on the music, it would misteriously turn off!
- What was your piece like? we did i think about 6 numbers & they were all really fun especially modern!
- Did your family and friends come? yes!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? my dancing ability grew so much!
- What disappointed you? the pointe variation had to be done on flats because of the flooring!
- What would you do differently if you could? idk!
- What is your best memory? head banging @ the local resteraunt ( it had a juke box & we played rock songs the whole time!) then we got kicked out!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? never dance because you are being forced to do it! only because you need to do it!
- Would you do another SI? YA!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Wed Dec 21, 2005 03:37 PM
I know this is old, but I decided to do it anyways

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Washington DC metro area
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? only 3 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, tap, jazz, hiphop, modern, I used to take Irish and broadway jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) US Performing Arts Camp at American University in Washington DC, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes, i live there
- How long did you go for? only 1 week :(
- What were your daily classes? Tap, Ballet, Jazz and then we had workshops at night
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? we had equal amounts of ballet tap and jazz
- Did you have a dress code? nope, just dancewear
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? n/a

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms at AU
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? we took a campus shuttle, it took about 10-15 minutes
- What was your roommate like? she was nice, but we were polar opposites
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes but noone really did, it was only 1 week
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? no, but my mom brought me things i forgot so it was ok.
- Did you make any new friends? YES!!! all my Fierce Cuddlemuffin Girls (thats what we named our group)
- Did you decorate your room? no
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? having people around all the time
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? singing showtunes in the hall outside our counselors room
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? curfew at 10:30
- How was the food? awesome
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. the night of dress rehearsal we took the campus shuttle to the theatre, which was pretty far from campus, and my group got permission to stay later than everyone else to go to McDonalds. So we all got yogurt cones and walked back to campus together (like a 30 minute walk). When we got back to the campus, we made paper plate awards and hung out till curfew.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? the ballet teacher took some getting used to, but otherwise no, everyone was really supportive
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?no
- What was the best advice you received? stay postive
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? they were smaller classes and much longer, so we got more personal attention. the group bonded instantly
- What are some new things you have to work on? my attitude, not losing hope
- What triumphs did you have? making it into the advanced group, being one of three girls to survive a tap class
- Were there special guest teachers? yes, for workshops
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? some of the workshops were new to me, like we took one in analyzing scores and understanding music
- Did you get an injury? just major soreness
- Describe your favorite teacher: our tap teacher, Dave was awesome. he helped us so much and tailored class to our individual levels. We got to do improv at the end of each class
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? every night workshops and we watched the PBS thing on broadway one night

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes, a "Time of Sharing"
- What was your piece like? only 3 girls were chosen for ballet, i wasnt one of them. But we did a tap a capella, and then a jazz/hiphop dance

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? the instant bond my group had
- What disappointed you? that it was sooo short
- What would you do differently if you could? have a different roomate
- What is your best memory? the show
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? that i'm better than i thought i was
- Would you do another SI? YES!!! i hope to go back to this camp this summer
By the_next_prima1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 320, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Sun Jan 15, 2006 04:06 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?Pittsburgh, PA
- How old are you?15
- How long have you danced?8 years
- What types of dances do you study?ballet,modern, jazz, character, contemproary ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)BalletMet in Columbus, Ohio
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?No
- How did you get there?My mom drove me.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?Yes, no I had not been there before last summer.
- How long did you go for?3 weeks but you can also go for 5
- What were your daily classes?ballet pointe warmup cool down character jazz/modern(they alternated) rep. lectures about injuries, they had pros come in and talk to us, nutrition
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? we had two ballet classes a day plus at least one pointe class and we had character jazz-modern along with stretch(warm up/cool down)
- Did you have a dress code? yes black leotard for ballet, but you could wear a colored one for jazz or modern
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?2 pairs yes
- Did you know anyone?my one friend from the studio went with me

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?we walked and it took like 5-10 min.
- What was your roommate like?my one friend was my one roomate, but the other two were real nice and they were younger than me. they were really good dancers.
- Were you allowed to have a computer?they had a computer lab at the dorms
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?yes, but i probably could have packed more water bottles/snacks
- Did you make any new friends?yes. two girls who were friends with my one roomate became two of my friends.
- Did you decorate your room?yes. i put photos of my family and friends on the walls and a ballet poster.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?there was always something you could do whether it was activities or just hanging out in the lounge or room.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?my fav. activity was shopping/movies
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?curfew was at 10:30 on weekends
- How was the food?it was very good. they served pancakes, eggs, etc. for breakfast, and pizza, spaghetti, chicken patties etc. for dinner
- Were you homesick?not to much. but i just wanted my privacy during the last week.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. we would go into each their room watch a movie, stay out past curfew and then sneak back to our rooms. its not that crazy but it was fun. ohh and we had a fooseball tornument.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?no not really. the teachers were very welcoming and they wanted to make sure you got the best out of the experiance.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?yes. their method was not to force things but to do what is healthy for the body.
- What was the best advice you received?they gave out all these wonderful exercises to help with turnout and control in turns. i found all of this very valuable.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?they do not force things like turnout but gradually work on it.
- What are some new things you have to work on?control in my turns and not forcing the turnout.
- What triumphs did you have?i had more control in my turns, i could do more.
- Were there special guest teachers?yes. the one character teacher came from russia and he was very fun.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?i tried character there and we partnered in that and in modern but not a PPD class.
- Did you get an injury?no.
- Describe your favorite teacher. She had very wonderful feet, they were very pointed, and she was really knowledgable on the technique. She really helped me keeping my hips square in attitude back and arabesque. She was very hands on, and was fun as well.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?We, went to see Romeo and Juliet with Margo Fontane and Rudolf Nureyv at the movie theater.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?Yes, but unfortunately only for the five weekers. So I didn't perform in it. :(
- What was your piece like?I did learn the piece that was done at the performence though, and it was contemporary and ballet, we did all these "snooty girl" things and it was fun to learn.
- Did your family and friends come?I wasn't in it.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?How nice most of the girls were and how welcoming the teachers were.
- What disappointed you?There was no PPD class.
- What would you do differently if you could?I dont know...
- What is your best memory?When I went shopping with my group that day was a blast!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?That you don't have to force things or be anoerexic or bulemic to be a wonderful dancer.
- Would you do another SI?absolutely!
By DancingChick0201 Comments: 35, member since Mon May 20, 2002
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 07:42 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Morgantown, WV
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? about 12 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, jazz, modern, lyrical, tap, hip-hop, acro, and gymnastics (ok so its not really a type of dance)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Point Park University in Pittsburgh, PA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe or variations, jazz, modern, and then tap, yoga, or pilates
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? I have more jazz and ballet than anythign else, but my curriculum includes most disciplines
- Did you have a dress code? kinda....for ballet we have to wear a leotard and pink tights, but for jazz, tap, acro, etc. we can wear a leo and black tights, or pants and a top
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone? yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? the dorm building and the building with the studios were connected with a bridge, with its walls made of glass, that went over the street.......but its only jsut across the street
- What was your roommate like? she is one of my best friends
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes and there are computer labs
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?yes
- Did you decorate your room? hehe yep
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? to concentrate completely on your dancing, and to just experience freedom and decision-making
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? prob swimmin, tanning, and the baseball game
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? the lights out and curfew times
- How was the food? it was ok, but after a while it got boring
- Were you homesick? the first year i went tehre not at all, but last year i sprained my ankle pretty severly on the first day, so i was a bit homesick
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. goin to the point, and laying on the fountain to tan was fun...then these kids came up to us and had to do silly things for a scavenger hunt...like this boy had to use a pick-up line on one of my friends and had to kiss another..it was jsut a fun day that we didnt have any dancing at all

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes and each teacher was a little different
- What was the best advice you received? not everyone has the perfect ballet body, i certainly dont...those of you who dont have perfect turnout (like me) have to make up for it somewhere else....when you're performing in class and epecially doing a variation you really need to dance, make it interesting to watch.....jsut b/c your technique may not be as perfect as another dancers, be captivating.....become the role and show how much you love to dance
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? well the ballet techniques tend to be different, and the type of choreography used in jazz and modern combinations could also be a lot different
- What are some new things you have to work on? hmm idk i always need to work on everything
- What triumphs did you have? well i was injured so i guess not that many
- Were there special guest teachers? i think most were
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
- Did you get an injury? oh yes
- Describe your favorite teacher. she was so energetic all of the time, I loved it
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? i think so

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? if you choose the 6-week program then yes
- What was your piece like? i took the 3 -week program, so i wasnt in any of them
- Did your family and friends come? N/A

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? getting injured
- What disappointed you? getting injured
- What would you do differently if you could? i would not get injured
- What is your best memory? goofing off late at night, talking, makin new friends, and watching funny recital/nutcracker videos
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i can try to make up for my lack of turnout by using performance skills
- Would you do another SI? oh yes...I can't wait! I think I might go somewhere other than Point Park this year just for a new expreience and I am very excited!
question??
By BendyBallerina Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 02:24 PM
Okay, so I know this is kind of interupting the actually point of this sticky but I jst have a question and since you've all gone to an SI I was wondering if you could answer my question...

1)at SIs do you have to either stay in a dorm or with a family? cuz I am auditioing for one that is 6weeks long and it is an hour drive just one-way!

2)how many people usually audition? cuz they are only taking in a max. of 16 dancers and there our two udition dates so I am pretty nervous!

3) when they say skirt is optional do you think they would prefer you to not wear one or do they really not care?

4) at most ballet auditions will they do across the floor? like jumps and such??? I hope they do because that is one of my major strong points...hehe :D

thanks a bunchies!

~BendyBallerina
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 08:18 PM
bendy - I think it would probably be best if you asked these very questions in the main forum. I don't think the same number of people will be checking this whole post as compared to people who look at the main SI page. This was built up over a long time, and people come and go kind of slowly.
By BendyBallerina Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:37 PM
silvery_stars,
Thank you very much for your words of wisdom! however, I just joined DDN today so I am not allowed to post my own messages, I think...
But I shall come back in 7 days and take your advice!
thanks again! :D

~BendyBallerina
By DancingPinkymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 433, member since Sun Feb 22, 2004
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 07:04 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? NY, USA
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 11years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Neglia Ballet Artists Summer Program, NY, Erie county, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- How did you get there? drive
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, and yes
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe, variations, (en pointe) modern, Floorbar/pilates, and this year i they are adding Pas de deux!
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet priarly
- Did you have a dress code? leo and pink tights for all classes except modern, you can wear black tights and warmups, variations they provide practive tutus when apprpprite
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no
- Did you know anyone? yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? The first year i stayed in the dorms alittle while, but I was local so it was pointless
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? no, its close and there was a schudel that took about 7-10min
- What was your roommate like? Alittle weird
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? well my house was close
- Did you decorate your room? yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? for a week..the food was good and it was fun
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Its so cool in buffalo there are free music conerts downtown every thursday, its so cool, bands like little feet, government Mule, G-love and special sauce, Fuel...etc go thre and play
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? i dont know
- How was the food? Good
- Were you homesick? lol, no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. 4th of july

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? it was not new except the giest teachers who i loved
- What was the best advice you received? ALOT of stuff
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? hard to explain
- What are some new things you have to work on? turnout, my hips, NOT leaning back
- What triumphs did you have? tripples and quadrouples en pointe, better placement, overall better
- Were there special guest teachers? yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no saddly
- Did you get an injury? the second year i broke my back, but that was not the programs fault
- Describe your favorite teacher. either beverly baggs, heidi halt or mario galizzi, they were all amazing and nice, and i learned aton! Beverly is so mean/funny, mostly because everyone in my class says im going to be like her when im older, (lol she is kindof nuts and rides her bike everywhere), you learn so much from her. Mario is so kind! and heidi is just a really good teacher.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? not sure

Performance:
- What was your piece like? Giselle, and a modern peice

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? the good class schudel
- What disappointed you? not having pas de deux
- What would you do differently if you could? have pas de deux
- What is your best memory? not sure, lot of them
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I loved it even more (is that possible? lol)
- Would you do another SI? yes, but im not since i got in lots of other places and want more experience.
By balletchickie98 Comments: 29, member since Tue Mar 21, 2006
On Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:42 AM
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?yes
- How long did you go for?5 weeks
- What were your daily classes?3 ballet tech 1 point and a few days pilates/ strech strenthing
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?ballet
- Did you have a dress code?yes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?yes
- Did you know anyone?yes some people from last year

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?yes
- What was your roommate like?THEY WERE AMAZING SUCH COOL GIRLS!I LOVED THEM
- Were you allowed to have a computer?NO
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?YES
- Did you make any new friends?YES!!!I miss them
- Did you decorate your room?YES it looked amazing
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?living in the dorms
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?Hershey park
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? lights out 11 pm
- How was the food?excellent many choices
- Were you homesick?no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.Way too many

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?yes
- What was the best advice you received?i dunno i got a lot
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? some classes yes others no
- What are some new things you have to work on?bascially everything
- What triumphs did you have?i dunno
- Were there special guest teachers?yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?yeah pilates
- Describe your favorite teacher.He is amazing words can't describe
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?yes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? no
- What was your piece like?n/a
- Did your family and friends come?n/a

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?How much I loved it, it being my 2nd summer there
- What disappointed you?no
- What would you do differently if you could?warm up and strech more
- What is your best memory?The amazing classes, friends, living in the dorms
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?yes
- Would you do another SI? sure why not but I LOVE CPYB
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Sun Apr 30, 2006 08:43 PM
Well, it wasn't really a SI, more like a 5 day ballet seminar, but whatever...
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Auckland, New Zealand
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 9 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Auckland, New Zealand
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes- it's where I live
- How did you get there? By car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I"ve never been to an intenzive, as they don't really exist in NZ. But I had been to this workshop before.
- How long did you go for? 5 days
- What were your daily classes? RAD Intermediate class, open class
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? just ballet
- Did you have a dress code?no.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yeah. one was enough.
- Did you know anyone? yeah, my best friend Morgan was there.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?No, not really as I had learnt with these teachers before at this venue.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No.
- What was the best advice you received? Erm, not sure. But this teacher was more of a perfectionist than my regular teacher.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? One of the teachers talked a lot more than my regular teacher, and was very nit-picking. But that suited me just fine. The other one loved making up enchainments full of grand jetes etc, an I loved these classes!
- What are some new things you have to work on? Pulling up ALL THE TIME. It was right at the end of my summer holiday, so I had gotten lazy!
- What triumphs did you have? I know this will sound stupid, but I'm quite a shy person, and mostly stuck to the back couple of rows. But I felt a great triumph when Mrs Murray (one of the teachers) said 'Meredith, come into the front line. I know you know the work'
- Were there special guest teachers? no
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no. No boys were there.
- Describe your favorite teacher. I didn't really have one.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No. I only had two classes a day, so I'd finished by midday.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The fact that I was much better than I had been the previous year.
- What disappointed you? A teacher that had been there the previous year was not present - she was off being an examiner for the RAD
- What would you do differently if you could? Been more confident to get out there and show my skills
- What is your best memory? hmmm dunno.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I'm better than I think I am. hehe. No, not really. Not sure.
- Would you do another SI? Absolutely! I'm doing a winter intensive in a few months! Hooray!
By ABCdancer12member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 634, member since Fri Jul 16, 2004
On Fri Jun 09, 2006 09:19 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New York (upstate)
- How old are you? I was 13 when I went to this SI
- How long have you danced? 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? everything!
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) just 45 mins away!
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yup.
- How did you get there? My mother drove me :)
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? this was the only one, so far
- How long did you go for? 2 wks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, jazz, pointe, modern, choreo, pilates
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ^above^
- Did you have a dress code? black leo pink tights pointe shoes, and ballet shoes. black leo & black tights for jazz
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? nope. I had 2 get a new pair 1/2 way through!
- Did you know anyone? no

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? I was shy, so a little, but I loved it!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes, Vagoneva. I study Balanchine usually and they are world apart!
- What was the best advice you received? "Go for it!" (we were disscussing dance careers and I mentond modern company)
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? yes, a lot more strict, but it was good for me
- What are some new things you have to work on? new turnout stretches
- What triumphs did you have? I made the advanced classes!
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, a jazz, a ballet, and an african dance
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? African
- Did you get an injury? no, but boy was I sore!
- Describe your favorite teacher. but I loved them all! My ballet teacher tought me how to really come out of myself in my dancing, my modern teacher was just so nice, and I learned so much, my jazz teacher was so fun! I felt like I could talk to them about anything!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes, we had evening rehersals, and career in dance disscussions.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? a little one
- What was your piece like? pieces? short and techniquly challanging
- Did your family and friends come? yes, and my dance teacher!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How welcoming everyone was!
- What disappointed you? Nothing!
- What would you do differently if you could? Get into shape better before I went b/c I was dancing from 9-5 there, then I drove home and took classes from 6-9 every day for the first week. I was exhusted! Also, I got dehydreated, so drink lots!
- What is your best memory? Ballet class with Miss Danita. I will never forget!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Technique, technique, technique!
- Would you do another SI? yes!

Try to go to an SI. Get lots of info for your parents. Try somewhere close, so you could commute, or get visiters. It's so worth it!
By Mandymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2035, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:18 AM
I am 10!!!! i did not go there yet.... but i am going to HOPE COLLEGE in Michigan. Has anyone been there?
Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch