On Tue Sep 25, 2007 02:09 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
Fairfax Virginia
- How old are you?
- How long have you danced?
7 years
- What types of dances do you study?
ballet, pointe, modern, character,hip-hop.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)
Fairfax VA, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
Dude, my intensive was 10 minutes from my house. lol
- How did you get there?
By car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
I've done some of this intensive before, but never all of it until now. And yes, it was my first intensive.
- How long did you go for?
8 weeks
- What were your daily classes? It varied, but it was mostly ballet, pointe, power stretch and variations. once a week we would do modern, jazz, and hip-hop. We would seldom do character.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?
mostly ballet, some modern, jazz, hip-hop, and character.
- Did you have a dress code?
for ballet/pointe: any leotard, pink tights, pink leather or canvas ballet shoes, pink satin pointe shoes.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
Didn't need to pack
- Did you know anyone?
I knew almost everybody

If you lived there: no

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?
It wasn't a new studio. But i did struggle some with people
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?
nope.
- What was the best advice you received?
hmm...can't remamber in words but i learned a lot.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
Not that much different
- What are some new things you have to work on?
pointe is the only new thing for me
- What triumphs did you have?
getting en pointe
- Were there special guest teachers?
no
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
pointe
- Did you get an injury?
Other than the usual knee and ankle problems, no.
- Describe your favorite teacher.
I didn't have one! I loved them all!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?
no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
Yes. It was a more contemporary show called Precedence
- What was your piece like?
It was called Falling Leaves, and it was pretty, flowy, and slightly lyrical.
- Did your family and friends come?
Oh yes, of course.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
I made some unlikely friends.
- What disappointed you?
That some people were hard to get along with and that I didn't lose any weight.
- What would you do differently if you could?
Don't get offended so easily.
- What is your best memory?
Nothing in particular... I did enjoy it though.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
That it can be quite heartbreaking at times.
- Would you do another SI?
Oh yeah. After all, I do want to become a professional.
- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...
not that I can think of...
re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By eloisefigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1020, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Fri Oct 12, 2007 07:37 PM
Phillip and Lauren are awesome!!! they have been our nut guest artists twice and are always so nice, and totally cheer you on from the wings. Like on my running shoulder sit she hooted and hollered and was jumping up and down on the side of the stage during Russian!
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sun Nov 11, 2007 02:35 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Oklahoma

- How old are you? 16 (15 at the time of the intensive)

- How long have you danced? I was in pre-ballet when I was 5, but I started my actual serious training at like 11-12

- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, and some modern and occasionally hip hop.

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ABT Detroit in Detroit, Michigan, USA

- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? It was my first time in Detroit

- How did you get there? We drove there

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I've been going to intensive since I was 11 but I had never been to ABT Detroit before.

- How long did you go for? It was 4 weeks.

- What were your daily classes? We had a ballet technique class and a pointe class (or partnering, depending on the day) in the morning, then in the afternoon we had two other classes out of the following: Choreography (working on it for the end performance), Rep, Yoga, Pilates, Modern, Hip Hop, or Character. Normally 1 of those 2 classes was rep or choreography. On Saturdays we would have 2 classes out of the following: Yoga, Pilates, History of Dance, Music, Nutrition, or Acting.

- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was definitely primarily ballet, but we did do some other types of dance.

- Did you have a dress code? Solid colored leotards, pink tights, and most of the time they let you wear skirts for pointe. And you had a nametag.

- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I would have liked 5 pairs and I brought 4...

- Did you know anyone? Yes, two of my friends from my conservatory went and one roomed with me. I also knew another girl from another intensive that went as well.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms.

- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It was walking distance to the main studios, but a couple times a week you have classes at the Detroit Opera House, and you travel there by bus in the morning and stay there until dinner (lunch is provided there).

- What was your roommate like? She was a good friend from my conservatory :)

- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yeah.

- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yep!

- Did you make any new friends? Lots and lots! The people there were so awesome!

- Did you decorate your room? Yes indeed! They also had a door decorating contest there!

- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I really liked getting to know everyone there and becoming a family with the group :)

- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Well, we went to a beach one weekend, a huge mall (which had a movie theatre in it) another weekend, and we went to see High School Musical live another weekend... we also tye dyed stuff... I really liked the mall cause we got to see a movie if we wanted to! The beach was cold!

- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I thought they should have extended the curfew on Friday nights since class wasn't as early Saturday mornings, but it was still fine.

- How was the food? Not bad at all. The cafeteria was pretty big and it had a nice selection of stuff. Of course there were unhealthy foods, but as long as you made the right choices it was great.

- Were you homesick? Not all that much, actually.

- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had a birthday party sleepover one Saturday night in one of the lounges, and it was SO fun! Any night we would just hang out in the hallways talking and taking pictures was fun... the chaperones were great, and the overall atmosphere was great!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really.

- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Only slightly, not too much.

- What was the best advice you received? That's a tough question... I think it's great that the mail you an evaluation of your technique with specific things you need to work on.

- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They like very high passes, about the knee. Also, it seems like with pirouettes, triple is the new double, so get ready!

- What are some new things you have to work on? Nothing extremely new, just deeper technique.

- What triumphs did you have? I think my endurance got much better, and I learned how to make the best of a difficult class and be attentive to all the teachers. I also learned how to channel my energy.

- Were there special guest teachers? Orlando Molina from the Orlando ballet was there, and he was awesome!!!! :D

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes, I had never had partnering before. It was a new experience, but alot of the stuff we learned in the beginning was for the boys, so it wasn't too difficult at first.

- Did you get an injury? Naw, but my achilles tendons bothered me a bit. But that was just from dancing alot and doing alot of pointe work and rehearsing.

- Describe your favorite teacher. Melissa Allen always gave very good corrections and I loved her sarcastic personality! Alaine Haubert makes your work very deeply in your technique, and I LOVED that. Alot like my teacher at home!

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? On the weekends we had seminar class typed stuff.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yep!

- What was your piece like? Each level did 2 pieces, 1 rep, 1 choreography. Our rep piece was Graduation Ball, and our original Choreography was by Samantha Shelton.

- Did your family and friends come? My mom and dad and teacher came!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The dorms were REALLY nice!! I was also surprised that I had to eat more to keep my energy up.

- What disappointed you? Nothing, really.

- What would you do differently if you could? I wouldn't have taken a week off before, cause the placement class was brutal after taking a week off!!

- What is your best memory? I honestly have too many to pick just one!

- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? It's amazing how many dancers are just as good as me, and want this just as bad as I do.

- Would you do another SI? Yep, I want to go back to ABT Detroit next summer!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... Only levels. The levels were (from lowest to highest) Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Violet, and I was in Blue.

-Amy-Jo
By quiquiballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Thu Sep 29, 2005
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 08:32 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? California
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 6 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet in Carlisle, PA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope.
- How did you get there? Plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No/No
- How long did you go for? Five weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2 Ballet technique classes, one point, one optional night class. On thursdays we had modern, and on saturdays I took jazz.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet
- Did you have a dress code? A simple black leo (unless you we in the E levels). However, a girl in my level wore a strappy one and got away with it several times.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Oh, yes. Too many in fact.
- Did you know anyone? Nope.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Not really, the wharehouse was a 15 minute walk or so, but we only took the bus if it was raining.(which it did a lot that summer)
- What was your roommate like? She was so great. She left after four weeks though. We had never met before, and she was SI experienced, so she helped me through. We still keep in touch.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? No, but there were computers in the HUB
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? pretty much, yeah.
- Did you make any new friends? oh yes. and i miss them :(
- Did you decorate your room? yeah, we made commentary of pictures in magazines, and got stuff from target.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Getting to meet so many new people. I've heard from a lot of people on here that went to CPYb that they hung out with people from their level, but I hung out with my friends from the dorms (go Aquafinas!)
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Hershey park.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Room checks @ 8.30. always right in the middle of so you think you can dance.
- How was the food? It was pretty good.
- Were you homesick? A litte,.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Too many to count, although once i put my friend in a pinck laundry hamper and we put her outside someones door and knocked. when they oped the door she popped out and surprised them!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Only with a couple teachers who less than accomadating.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not really.
- What was the best advice you received? We had a sub for our class one day and i learned so much from her in that one class than anything else..
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were relatively the same, however sometimes we barely got to floor work.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Turn out, flexibility
- What triumphs did you have? my turnout improved so much, as did my turns (quads!)
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Modern
- Did you get an injury? I had this muscle injury on the top of my left foot, and i went with this knee injury under my left knee that made bending and straightening my leg with a pointed foot hurt like the dickens.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nutrition, gaynor minden, health.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? N/a

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? classes went slowly.
- What disappointed you? There were various things having to do with one teacher who was really condescending, a level change which was frustrating, but that had to do with my parents.
- What would you do differently if you could? Not be so dramtic when a talked to my parents on the phone. ;/
- What is your best memory? it was all such a good time, and i miss all my friends that i made there..
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? once i got back my teachers noticed i had improved but due to various reasons i stopped dancing around november of that year ( I went in 2006)
- Would you do another SI? As i said above, i quit dance, but I'm going to do a summer theatre program, if that counts.
By Trinket Comments: 73, member since Thu Feb 07, 2008
On Sat Feb 23, 2008 03:04 PM
wow, these are really helpful comments. thanks for posting this!

Comment #7150358 deleted

Comment #7150362 deleted

By StarBucks_Lovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 504, member since Fri Jan 25, 2008
On Thu May 22, 2008 06:23 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? US
- How old are you? 12-15
- How long have you danced? Ten years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Pointe, Partnering, Jazz, Character
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Bossov Ballet Theatre, Pittsfield, Maine, US
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? Plane and car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Pointe, Character, Stretching, Make-up, can't remember the other ones.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Huh?
- Did you have a dress code? No
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? To many
- Did you know anyone? No

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No
- What was your roommate like? Like the devil! Seriously we hated each other.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? No, but a lot of people had them with them and it was fine.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Sure-dove
- Did you make any new friends? Yes
- Did you decorate your room? Not really
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? You were kind of on your own
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Games
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? That people were living in the dorms. And that the bathrooms were really dirty. Plus like eleven year old were watching R rated movie, even though that was against the rules, the Dorm supervisor didn't even care.
- How was the food? Unhealthy, pizza, hamburgers. :(
- Were you homesick? Sometimes
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. I was always happy!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? YES!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? Not really advice but the fact that I got asked to come year-round.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were a lot meaner
- What are some new things you have to work on? Turn-out and grand allegro
- What triumphs did you have? Being told that I was good, and had the perfect ballet body.
- Were there special guest teachers? No
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No
- Did you get an injury? Hurt my back, but dealt with it
- Describe your favorite teacher. Anna was my favorite. She was really strict. But outside of class she was an angel.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes
- What was your piece like? Don't really get the question.
- Did your family and friends come? Yes my mom

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How hard it was
- What disappointed you? The rules didn't go through as they said they would. When my roommate broke her wrist, Mr. Wyly just dropped her off at the hospital and went home. Good thing she brought a friend with her.
- What would you do differently if you could? At the summer program???? Follow through with rules
- What is your best memory? Playing cards with two of the other girls (one of them is now my best-friend)
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? More movement
- Would you do another SI? Heck yeah just not the same one

An the Bossov when you go there and if you are not one of the favorite students you are no thought of as that good of a person/dancer. If don't get a good part in the ballet they are performing then you are not good at all. And they always ask the dancers who get a good part to do everything, demonstrate combinations and most of all they are thought extremely high in the school. Most of the girls will talk behind your back, which is not pleasant when you find out.
By bendytwigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 04:28 PM
Starbucks lover, i'm sorry you didn't have such a great experience at BBT as other's including myself did.
Here's my experience at BBT this past summer (note, i didn't not board)

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? US
- How old are you? 13-16
- How long have you danced? 6 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Pointe, Partnering, Character, and just starting a bit a modern (love it!)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Bossov Ballet Theatre, Pittsfield, Maine, US
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes
- How did you get there? uhm.. car lol
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? YEs
- How long did you go for? 6 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Pointe, Character, Stretch, Pilates, Acting, twice we had massage class (lovvved it), and the girls in less advanced level also had make up.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mainly ballet, but also some character
- Did you have a dress code? Not much of one, there are some guidelines though.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? uhm lol. well i didn't have to pack anything considering my housing arrangements, but i did need to order more than i thought i'd need.
- Did you know anyone? Yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? My family lol
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, dorms are right on campus
- What was your roommate like? My "roommates" (i practically lived in the dorm) were great, my besties :)
- Were you allowed to have a computer? They provide computers, and students are discouraged from bringing their own because of possible theft or liability.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? n/a
- Did you make any new friends? Yesss :D
- Did you decorate your room? I helped decorate my friends' rooms :)
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? N/a
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Soccer games outside on front campus with one of our teachers. it was great.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I don't really know since i didn't reside there, but some of the rules tended to be shaky.
- How was the food? Considering the campus was in the process of getting a new caf they did what they could. if you have self controlyou could eat healthy, but there were unhealthy food as well. the new caf is GREAT by the way :)
- Were you homesick? N/a
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends: Dancing in the sun showers (that does include dancing i guess lol), watching so you think you can dance, soccer games, laying in the sun, swinging at the park, 80's day that the little girls had. I had lots :)

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? well they weren't totally new, but the floor was more slippery then usual and that took some getting used to.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? Oh i got so much, but I think the most helpful was actually not said. It was just the way my teachers taught and rehearsed with me. They showed me that i need to take it slow, relax, and helped me realize my part wasn't going to be great at first.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Well two of the teachers i have classes with year-round. but the other two always take adjusting for me. The other two do have favorites, which can be difficult, but as long has i remember to do my best and apply other's corrections i still get a TON from the classes. Also one of the teachers likes to take things very slow, which is hard for me, but its a good challenge.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Keeping my back and knees straight, relaxing and not over working, plie-ing during jumps, and learning to go with the music
- What triumphs did you have? Being able to do 6 pirrouettes 3 times in a row (like i said the floor was slippery), and getting a part that i had really wanted and worked my butt off for.
- Were there special guest teachers? No
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Nope
- Did you get an injury? I had a hip injury and shin splits from before the summer that were bugging me sometimes, but not really.
- Describe your favorite teacher: Vlad. He has so much energy and is very funny, and when you get something right he makes you feel so good about it. the problem is he has favorites so you can't let yourself get discouraged by that.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, Don Q
- What was your piece like? I was Dulcenea. I loved it!! It took a ton of work and helped me grow sooo much as a dancer
- Did your family and friends come? Yes! My siblings were in the show and friends and other family came to watch.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much more i need to improve
- What disappointed you? Some of the non teaching facualty, but i personally think its just who i am as a person, our auras clash. haha.
- What would you do differently if you could? Been more careful with my injuries.
- What is your best memory? OOOH what to pick... well all of the things in the question about non dancing times. And rehearsing at night with Anna and Vlad. that helped me soooo much and it was a blast.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Well i know more of my weakness for sure. But i also know a little more about what makes my dancing unique.
- Would you do another SI? Yup, and i'm going to BBT again this year. I CAN'T WAIT!

"An the Bossov when you go there and if you are not one of the favorite students you are no thought of as that good of a person/dancer. If don't get a good part in the ballet they are performing then you are not good at all. And they always ask the dancers who get a good part to do everything, demonstrate combinations and most of all they are thought extremely high in the school. Most of the girls will talk behind your back, which is not pleasant when you find out."

I'm not going to answer the question, but i'm going to give another perspective on what Starbucks lover says above.
Only half of the teachers have favorites, and outside of the class room they have none at all.
You are put in parts they think you will be best in. Not because you're a crappy dancer or the next Zakharova. (Personally... and i shouldn't be saying this... but one of the girls that got kitri defenatly did not get the part because of technique, but becaues she is incapable of dancing in corps because of attitude, and she dances with Spanish flare.)
Also you have to remember, last year there were pros, and a girl who placed in Youth America Grand Prix. Just because you get in doesn't mean there is a huge chance you'll have the lead role. A great dancer is a dancer who puts 110% effort into whatever role she/he is given.
It does not matter who demonstrates. I mean a girl the first day of the SI who was 4 years younger then me and was a level below me demonstrated things and i didn't at all. It was because Natalya knew she needed a confidence boost. The teachers here do things for a dancer's benefit, not out of favor.
Anywhere you go in the ballet world you will know dancers that will talk about you behind your back. A lot of girls in the dance world are prima donna, witches with a "B". lol. There are a lot of sweet girls that don't actually act that way. I'm sorry you couldn't have met some of the sweet ones at BBT.
By omgballet Comments: 94, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:16 PM
Where are you from? Illinois
How old are you? 15
How long have you danced? All my life , but seriously for about only 2 years.
What types of dances do you study? ballet mostly, tap, jazz, modern, character.
Where did you go? Tulsa ballet. Pointe to the Future. Tulsa Oklahoma U.S.
Had you ever been there? I had been to Oklahoma my grandparents live there.
How did you get there? Plane.
Had you ever been to an intensive before? Had you ever been to this intensive? NO, and no.
How long did you go for? 3 weeks.(max)
What were your daily classes? Ballet technique, pointe, jazz, character, or modern.
Did you study primarily ballet or other disiplines too? Mostly ballet.But a lot of jazz.
Did you have a dress code? For ballet, black leatards only pinkl tights , flats and pointes. For jazz there wasn't really a dress code just dancy clothes, for character black leo, and long character skirt and shoes.
Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, but once i wore a completly dead pair on accident, then another time a brand new pair that was really hard on me!lol
Did you know anyone? I knew i few girls.
Did you make any new friends? YES! two very sweet friends.
Where you homesick? No not at all. I don't know i don't get homesick.
Describe some of your fun times with friends. Well I don't even rememberso many,we were really just kinda goofy and stupid because at class you had to be you know like proper and what not.
Did you struggle with adjusting to the new facility? No not much, it was a larger room, which made me happy and the floor was great for pointe work, but it was a little rough on flat ballets. I enjoyed the larger school.
Was it a different training, than your taught? Yes it was Vagonava, and I train in Balanchine, but it was fine I didn't have trouble with it and I learned more.
What was the best advice you recieved? Honestly I didn't think they gave enough advice escpessially in ballet. But in jazz the teacher was more caring about our euducation, as where in the ballet class I didn't feel they really cared for me just other students that they preferred. I felt like they just wanted money, however that classes were good, and I improved a lot.
How were the classes different from your regular classes? The bar was sort of similiar and center was okay, but who doesn't prefer their own teacher who they know better.=]
What are some new things you have to work on? Definently needed to concentrate more on turnout.(They pretty much only like 180) and I found out that my extension sucks so ive been working on that and it's not so bad anymore. But one more year and it'll be to where I want it.=]
What triunphs did you have? I can'y remember any. The character teacher loved me she gave me loads of compliments. And I have nice feet on points and I think one of the teacher noticed.lol
Were there special guest teachers? Yes, the character and jazz teachers were guest, and there was a new ballet teacher.
Did you try anything new? Just character. I wanted to do pas, and I got to during my actual school year so Im good now!lol
Did you get an injury? Yes, my knee got screwed up from one of the teacher's who liked forcing turnout. I didn't need surgury and it's a lot better now, but even now a year later, it's still painfull when I develope into my extension. But I have a trainer now and the snapping awkwardness is slowly fading off completly. However now I have a stress fracture and I have and intensive to go to in like 3 weeks, and I don't want to have to take it easy on my foot, but...idk. I hope it doesn't get worse.=[
Describe your favourite teacher. The character teacher because she liked me!lol and the jazz teacher had a great personality.
Were there any dance related lecture in the evening? Not really.
Was there a show at the end? Yes a demonstration. In ballet we just did class in front of them then in character we did a group a dance, same in jazz.etc.My mom came. There was limited seating.
What surprised you the most? Seeing the dancers!heehhe!
What disappointed you the most? The ballet, I was really excited for it and they made me feel like trash. and I love that company there sogood I figured it would be amazing classes.=p
Best memory- my friends.and of course dancing.
Would you do another SI? Definently! Im goin to OCU this year and Im really excited. Next year Im trying out for ABT and Joffery and like as many more I can try out for so I don't have an empty space in my summer!lol=]
By ballet_babe_1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 672, member since Wed Jun 18, 2008
On Sun Jul 20, 2008 09:00 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? michigan

- How old are you? 14

- How long have you danced? 9 years

- What types of dances do you study? all styles, mainly ballet, pointe, and lyrical

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ABT Detroit

- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes, I went to the same intensive last year

- How did you get there? commuted every day

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, i went to the same program last year

- How long did you go for? 4 weeks

- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe or pas de duex, and then any 2 of the following- rep, choreography, modern, jazz, yoga, pilates, character, improv, etc. saturdays included any 2 of the following lecture classes- historical dance, music, improv, dance history.

- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mostly ballet, but as i mentioned above, we did a few other disciplines as well.

- Did you have a dress code? yes. monday- pink tights, black leo. tuesday- pink tights, burgandy leo. wednesday- pink tights, black leo. thursday- pink tights, navy leo. friday- pink tights, black leo. saturday- whatever you wanted.

- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes

- Did you know anyone? just a few girls from last year

I commuted..

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not too much, no

- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? nope

- What was the best advice you received? hmm that's a tough one...but I'm going to have to say the day Alaine Haubert really showed us how to work our inner thighs at all times so we don't get bulky quads. She also helped us use our inner thighs to turn out to our fullest. This was quite helpful to everyone in our level.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Not too much different, but definately a lot stricter and focused. Plus, some of the teachers stop and restart the combonation if there is even one mistake.

- What are some new things you have to work on? using my inner thighs more, turn out, extension, arms

- What triumphs did you have? better pirrouettes, a little better extension, better stage presence (my regular teacher even commented on this after the performance)

- Were there special guest teachers? yes, the day of the show Melissa Allen tought. (my fave class of the whole intensive : ))

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes pas, though i did it last year at the same intensive too...

- Did you get an injury? nope : )

- Describe your favorite teacher. Definately Melissa Allen. I also liked Alaine Haubert, Dedra Carberry, Orlando Molina, Sam Shelton...Pretty much all of them. I also LOVED the modern teacher because he was all about dancing with the heart, and inventing new ways of moving and bringing ourselves into the dancing.

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no, but on saturdays there was, as I mentioned above

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes

- What was your piece like? We did the Czardas from swan lake, and our choreography was called "Romanian Folk dances", which was en pointe, but it was kind of characterish. It was really different and fun!

- Did your family and friends come? yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How many amazing dancers there are out there that are my age

- What disappointed you? That we only got to have Melissa Allen for class once : (. Also when we had so say good bye to everyone that was really hard

- What would you do differently if you could? umm i'm not sure!

- What is your best memory? hmm probably the last day. the performance was a great experience! not only that, but we had a lot of fun taking pictures in the dressing room and studio.

- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? It should come from the heart. Also, you need to work to your absolute fullest pointentail at all times

- Would you do another SI? definately

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...hmm i can't think of anything...
By appleboxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 326, member since Wed Mar 21, 2007
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 01:10 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Central/Upstate NY.
- How old are you? 15.
- How long have you danced? 7 years
- What types of dances do you study? just ballet :)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) CPYB in Carlisle, PA.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I'd been to PA for the Rock School last year.
- How did you get there? Drivin'
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes/No
- How long did you go for? 5 Weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Two technique classes, one pointe class, then an optional night class. (and power half hour ;D)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Modern class was our night class on Fridays, but I only went once. I didn't like it very much.
- Did you have a dress code? Yeah, I had to wear a black leotard and pink tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Too many, actually! I found the pointe shoes of my dreams at the Bloch fitting and ended up buying them.
- Did you know anyone? I knew some people indirectly, but otherwise, no.

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Nah, some people complained about the walk to the Warehous (about 15 minutes) but I actally like walking.
- What was your roommate like? Haha, funny story there . . . I lived in a triple. One of my roommates was lovely, but the other was psycho. It was pretty clear that she wasn't there for dancing. She was kicked out in the last week, and the night she got kicked out, the RAs decided we weren't safe in our own room. We had to sleep in another hall!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Not technically, but many people did . . . even though there was no internet connection.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Not really.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes : )
- Did you decorate your room? yupp!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? talking to everyone! My RA and some girls from my hall (including me) would always stay up WAY past lights out talking about ballet . . . it was fun, haha.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Batman, Get Smart, shopping at TJ Maxx (and wal-mart lol), Massy's frozen custard, power half hour
By lyricallvr14member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1261, member since Sun Dec 17, 2006
On Fri Aug 01, 2008 08:14 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
Wisconsin

- How old are you?

- How long have you danced?
Almost 6 years :)

- What types of dances do you study?
Everything! Ballet, Lyrical, Jazz, Tap, Hip-Hop...

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)
The Academy of Ballet in Washington D.C!

- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
No

- How did you get there?
Me and my mom flew there

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
No! This was my first intensive

- How long did you go for?
6 weeks

- What were your daily classes?
In the morning there were classes like Nutrition, Special Topics, Watching Ballet, Russian Ballet History, Pilates, Stretch and Relax :D , Mime, Charector, Flaminco, and contemporary! Oh and in the afternoon for 3 and half hours there was ballet, pointe, and variations

- Did you have a dress code?
Black Leotard, Pink Tights, Ballet slippers with ribbons. But on saturdays you can were colored leotards!

- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
Ya! I went through 3 pairs in the 6 weeks!

- Did you know anyone?
Not when i got there! But i met alot of new people :)

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
We lived in a frat house by catholic university

- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?
We took a bus everyone morning *sometimes even a coach bus!* and it was about a 20 minute drive

- What was your roommate like?
I had 3 roomates since we had a HUGE room and i loved all of them! One of them is even going to be my roomate for the year! YAH but one of my roomates got on my nerves ALOT. and she was really messy and loud :O

- Were you allowed to have a computer?
You could bring one but you would have to buy a internet card. There are computers at kirov so i wouldn't recommend bringing one for the summer

- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
LOL! No! I packed WAY to much. I seriously only needed to bring about 5 pairs of cloths because i was always wearing my dance cloths and the only time i wore regular cloths was on weekends when we went out :)

- Did you make any new friends?
Ya! My level was so nice and there was really no drama at all! We were almost all friends. The othere levels seemed to have alot more drama and some really snobby people

- Did you decorate your room?
We tried! HaHa we put some posters on the walls

- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
Not having to deal with my mom and my brothers

- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
Going out to georgetown and pentagon city on Sundays! Also the dinner and movie

- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?
the curfew for weekdays was 8:30 with didn't give us much time to go out after we got back

- How was the food?
it was ok. There cookies were AMAZING though! They have really good wraps and they offered alot of tofu and vegitarian options. There was ALWAYS peanut butter

- Were you homesick?
no

- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.
LOL well one of my roomates like to go crazy in our room so that was really funny! I also loved going to georgetown and pentagon city and meeting this guy who told me i was going to have 5 inch thick glasses when i get older on the metro!

Class:
Ya. But that was because i took alot of time off from ballet before going

- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?
Ya! Kirov is Vaganova and i'm trained in balenchine

- What was the best advice you received?
I need to find my center :)

- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
The classes were really big which i was used to but the style was different so i had to learn the heads and the arms.

- What are some new things you have to work on?
Finding my center
turning out in the center

- What triumphs did you have?
i tore my hip flexor and sprained my foot. But neither was too serious so i only sat out for a day :)

- Were there special guest teachers?
YA! First session there was a russian pointe shoe fitting with this woman from michigan and second session there was a makeup artist who showed us how to do stage makeup!

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
Flaminco!

- Did you get an injury?
I lightly sprained my foot and tore my hip flexor

- Describe your favorite teacher.
HAHA! OK so the contermporty teacher from 2cd session was really funny! at the end of class when we would go up to him to bow he would give us a thumbs up! I also really like Mme. Fomonich my ballet teacher!

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?
no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
ya
for ballet we had a rehersed class and then people were given different parts. I was in the waltz from coppelia. And there was a performance on their stage that night with a dance from each class we took in the morning

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
how different kirov was than how i expected it to be

- What disappointed you?
no partnering :C

- What would you do differently if you could?
i would have tried my hardest durring the classes

- What is your best memory?
the performance day :)

- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
i learned alot of stuff that i need to work on

- Would you do another SI?
i would definatly go here agian! :D
By dancethemomentX7 Comments: 144, member since Sun Mar 09, 2008
On Sat Aug 02, 2008 01:26 PM
Getting ready:

- How long have you danced? since I was three
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, jazz, modern/lyrical
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Holland michigan
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? not the city
- How did you get there? car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no/no
- How long did you go for? two weeks
- What were your daily classes? Two ballet tech classes, one extra class(jazz,relaxing,modern,variation ect.) and a rehearsahl
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? above
- Did you have a dress code? pink tights any color leo
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes, three pairs
- Did you know anyone? 3 people from my studio and some peole i knew from Nutrcracker.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? like a 5-10 min. walk
- What was your roommate like? super nice, she goes to my studio:)
- Were you allowed to have a computer? probably but i didnt bring one
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? ya i could have brought mre money for souveneirs though.
- Did you make any new friends? YES!
- Did you decorate your room? just the door
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? having your friends right down the hall
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? hanging out in the lounge, walking around
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? on your floor at 930
- How was the food? pretty good
- Were you homesick? not really
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. well, once on the second to last day we tied a bunch of twizzlerz together and pulled them down the hall:)

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received? keeping aligned
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? the teachers were harder( in a very good way!!)
- What are some new things you have to work on? my balancing and alignment
- What triumphs did you have? better turns, balance and my flexibility!
- Were there special guest teachers? yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? feldenkrais, which is like relaxing
- Did you get an injury? no, just my normal feet issues and tedonitis.. it didnt bother me that bad
- Describe your favorite teacher. Well my fave teacher changed about every time i had class but one teacher Oliveir Munoz really pushed/inspired my to do better and the jazz teacher Marc was just amazing
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes, there was a dance lecture once

Performance:
- What was your piece like? 8 min ballet
- Did your family and friends come? mom and dad

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much i really love ballet
- What disappointed you? the last day
- What would you do differently if you could? talk to more people, make more friends i guess
- What is your best memory? probably the performance, awards dinner and fun times with friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i want to try harder and keep doing ballet
- Would you do another SI? YES!!!
By BlackTutux0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 770, member since Sat Dec 22, 2007
On Sun Aug 03, 2008 08:25 AM
<b>
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? MI!
- How old are you? 12, 13, 14, ish.
- How long have you danced? 9 year!
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, and character.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) BOSTON BALLET NEWTON! :)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes!
- How did you get there? Via Plane.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Nope! It was my first one.
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Technique, Pointe, and a different elective class every day. Some days we had 2 technique classes!
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Yes- Jazz, Modern, Pilates, and Repertoire.
- Did you have a dress code? Not really.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Too many, in fact! :P
- Did you know anyone? YES! I was so so happy when I saw people that I knew.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms!
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 20 minute bus ride.
- What was your roommate like? I had 3 room mates. They were all great, and really neat and organized.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? No.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Haha, no!
- Did you make any new friends? YES! That was one of the best parts about going to an SI. You meet so many people from so many different places.
- Did you decorate your room? Haha yeah! Tons of posters and pictures.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? It's like a sleepover every night, fun!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Definetly the weekend activities, shopping, and going to DOWNTOWN BOSTON! :D
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Signing in every night.
- How was the food? Eh...
- Were you homesick? Not really!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Where do I start... Suite parties, movie nights, and just hanging out with friends was a BLAST! :)

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Somewhat. The floor was different, so it was hard to get used to. The teachers were fabulous!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Yes. The technique was mainly Balanchine, but kind of Vaganova too. :D
- What was the best advice you received? My teacher called me the "Welcome to our World Doll" because I had so much tension in my arms. :P She told me to relax my arms, and lead the dancing from the elbow.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? The hour pointe classes, a day!
- What are some new things you have to work on? Relaxing my arms, keeping my hips square, closing my fifths.
- What triumphs did you have? 27 kids in a class was not too bad.
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes!
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? YEAH! I tried Jazz and Modern for the first time. I LOVED it, now I am thinking about signing up for a Jazz class.
- Did you get an injury? Not really. There was a day in the first week when my ankle hurt, but it was gone in a day.
- Describe your favorite teacher. My favorite teacher was the teacher who taught our daily technique and pointe classes every day. She was great, she motivated us to dance. Gave the best advice, and she always had so much energy! :D
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes. We had lectures every week.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Kind of. It was like an Exam class/variations shown to your parents.
- What was your piece like? We did Silver and Sapphire fairie's variations from Sleeping Beauty.
- Did your family and friends come? Yes!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How I didn't get homesick.
- What disappointed you? The food.
- What would you do differently if you could? Hmm...nothing.
- What is your best memory? The dinner cruise with friends.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I don't know?
- Would you do another SI? Yes! I want to try the older Boston program one year.
By LittleButFierce Comments: 882, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:54 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? USA

- How old are you? Teen

- How long have you danced? 5 years

- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, modern

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Canada's National Ballet School (NBS). It is in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, I have been to Canada before but not to Toronto.

- How did you get there? I flew

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, I have gone to summer intensives. No, I had not been to NBS before.

- How long did you go for? 4 weeks

- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Repertory, Character, Pool Conditioning

- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet and character.

- Did you have a dress code? Black or white shirt/leo, black tights. Black or white shoes and socks.

- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? n/a, I am a guy

- Did you know anyone? I met a girl on facebook before I went but no, I didn't really know anyone.

If you lived there:

- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, it was a very short walk.

- What was your roommate like? I had two, they were both nice and very cool. One was from Brazil and barely spoke English, but learned really fast.

- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but I didn't bring mine.

- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes.

- Did you make any new friends? Yeah, lots!

- Did you decorate your room? Not really. I don't think any guys did. Not sure about girls.

- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? It was just fun living with a bunch of cool guys.

- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity? My favorite was Canada's Wonderland (amusement park). But we did fun stuff pretty much every weekend and on weeknights we had activities in the dorms.

- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Signing in and out was kind of annoying because we had to do it so much, but that was really it.

- How was the food? It was OK. Sometimes bad. French toast and eggs were always nasty.

- Were you homesick? Not really.

- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We made a bunch of crazy videos on the last night that were pretty funny! I wish I had them on my camera.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Well, the floors were sticky so it was hard to turn, but besides that, no.

- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No.

- What was the best advice you received? Corrections about my arms and knees that I usually get at home too. Nothing new really.

- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Yeah a little, it was more Russian than my main school.

- What are some new things you have to work on? Nothing new.

- What triumphs did you have? I got invited to stay for year round! :)

- Were there special guest teachers? No.

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Pool conditioning and some of the character stuff was totally new to me. Also the Nutcracker choreography that we learned was new for me.

- Did you get an injury? On the last day someone accidently landed on my toe and it bled.

- Describe your favorite teacher. I liked the character teacher because he never got upset with our class and he taught us things I had never done. I also liked the pool teachers because they were nice and would let you rest if you were tired, but they also worked us really hard.

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No, not for us.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Not really. There is a choreographic workshop for the older kids that go year round and they do a performance that is pretty cool.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How nice and big all the facilities were. Also that everyone there (all the kids and teachers) was really nice and that our neighborhood was nice.

- What disappointed you? Ballet class was way too easy. Also the food was sometimes really gross.

- What would you do differently if you could? I don't know?

- What is your best memory? All the trips and the guys I met in the residence.

- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I learned I am dancing way above my age level.

- Would you do another SI? Yeah definitely.
By irishballerinajrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Mon May 26, 2008
On Mon Aug 04, 2008 04:38 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Ireland
- How old are you? 12
- How long have you danced? 9 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, pointe, character, modern & jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) English National Ballet School, London, England
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yeah, I've been to london twice
- How did you get there? flew
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I've been to a SI before, but not this one
- How long did you go for? A week
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, classical rep, czardas (character) & contempory choreography
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Emm... mainly ballet, I guess
- Did you have a dress code? Sort of, any colour leo for classes, black or navy for show, black tights & wacky coloured top for contempory show
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Didn't need them
- Did you know anyone? no :(

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? no, neither
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? not really, but I was staying in a hotel
- What was your roommate like? n/a
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Don't have one!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I think so!
- Did you make any new friends? TONS!
- Did you decorate your room? no :(
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? It was a holiday!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? SHOPPING!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? n/a
- How was the food? ate out at different restaurants every day, most of it was good!
- Were you homesick? I missed my cats!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. just during lunch really we got to watch dvds of coppelia!

Class:
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? not really!
- What was the best advice you received? don't be afraid to show your personality!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They weren't really THAT different!
- What are some new things you have to work on? triple frappes!
- What triumphs did you have? improved my arabesques!
- Were there special guest teachers? no, not really!
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Did you get an injury? no thankfully! :)
- Describe your favorite teacher. I loved them all!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yeah, coppelia dvds!

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? [yeah
- What was your piece like? I had lots of different ones
- Did your family and friends come? my family

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how high the standard was! I knew it was high, but I didn't even imagine it could be like that!
- What disappointed you? going home! :(
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing I had a blast!
- What is your best memory? I have tons!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? emm...
- Would you do another SI? DEFINITELY!

P.S I love this survey, thanks for making it!
By addicted2dance86 Comments: 90, member since Sun Aug 03, 2008
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:12 AM
Are there any good dance intensives for beginners? I made competition, but I just started ballet.
By DanceMomMI Comments: 71, member since Thu Jan 17, 2008
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 09:22 PM
Getting ready: (I am filling this out for DD#1, with her input)
- Where are you from? MI
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 5 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, jazz, tap
- Where did you go? Cincinnati Ballet SI, Cincinnati OH
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- How did you get there? rode with parents
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Yes
- Have you been to THIS program before? No
- How long did you go for? 6 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, pointe daily; jazz, modern, conditioning, partnering once a week
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet
- Did you have a dress code? black cami or tank leo, pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yep - 4 pair
- Did you know anyone? no

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? by van or bus
- What was your roommate like? two roommates over the 6 weeks - both were very nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes
- Did you make any new friends? absolutely!
- Did you decorate your room? yes, we had a two bedroom suite with a common bath/living area and microwave and fridge - dorms were nice but needed decorating
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? It was fun being on my own and having the freedom, but was also a big responsibility
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? museums, shopping, opera. Kings Island was the best.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? none were bad or unreasonable.
- How was the food? not great. There were not many healthy choices available.
- Were you homesick? no, I called home and texted a lot

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? not as hard - they were not too challenging for my level.
- Were there special guest teachers? yes but some did not teach my level
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes, partnering. I had done it a couple of times before, but this was weekly
- Did you get an injury? no
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- What was your piece like? a nice ballet and a very easy but fun jazz piece
- Did your family and friends come? family

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? nothing really was surprising
- What disappointed you? too little pointe in the last 3 weeks
- What would you do differently if you could? I might not go the last 3 weeks since there was not a technique emphasis - it was all about the performance
- Would you do another SI? Absolutely! I have already made my list for next year!
By balletmom14 Comments: 2, member since Sun Aug 31, 2008
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 06:51 PM
My daughter attended an intensive in Ostrava, Czech Republic. It was supposed to be a reputable intensive associated with the Prague Ballet. After spending a fortune to get there, it was a TOTAL RIP OFF. They didn't have dance classes as promised. She took one class a day! No pointe work at all! They didn't feed the dancers as promised. The accomodations were horrible. Nothing good to say about the intensive except it is over. Be careful going to foreign programs. They promise the world and deliver nothing. There is no recourse against them worth taking. Just a totally wasted summer!
By balletdncr3453 Comments: 31, member since Tue Jun 24, 2008
On Sat Nov 29, 2008 09:57 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? North Carolina
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? since i was four
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, modern, pointe, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) PNB in Seattle, WA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? nope
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? yes Have you been to THIS program before?no
- How long did you go for? five weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe, seminar, modern...
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily ballet but we had modern a few days a week
- Did you have a dress code? solid colored leotard
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yep
- Did you know anyone? yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? not really
- What was your roommate like? she was nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? no....i should have packed more clothes haha
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? a lot more freedom than at home
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? probably shopping
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? lights out
- How was the food? good
- Were you homesick? a little
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. watching movies all night in the movie theater connected to the lobby on the last night there

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- What was the best advice you received? .....
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? a little more balanchine than i was used to
- What are some new things you have to work on? developpes
- What triumphs did you have? ....
- Were there special guest teachers? sometimes peter boal
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? nope
- Did you get an injury? nope
- Describe your favorite teacher. energetic, nice
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? no
- What was your piece like?.....
- Did your family and friends come? .....

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? teachers were vert supportive and actually learned everyones names
- What disappointed you? no partnering =(
- What would you do differently if you could? pack more clothes haha
- What is your best memory? too many to count
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? ....
- Would you do another SI? of course!

By raspberrymuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Tue Dec 16, 2008
On Mon Dec 22, 2008 04:54 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? So Cal
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 11 yrs
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and a little Jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Boston Ballet(Newton, MA, USA)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes country, no everything else
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no and no
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Tequnique, pointe, rep 3 times a week, jazz 1 time a week, modern 1 time a week, video 2 times a week, pilates 1 time a week
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mostly ballet but jazz and modern once a week
- Did you have a dress code? solid color leo, pink tights and shoes(at least for girls)
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?yeah, i brought 5 pairs but they were very soft on me but i didn't want to go with a new kind of pointe shoe so I ended up jet glueing them once or twice
- Did you know anyone?

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? just like 15 min, they took us on a bus
- What was your roommate like? she seemed pretty nice, but I ended up hanging out with people from my level and not her
- Were you allowed to have a computer? you couldn't bring one, but we had access to ones 2ce a week and there was one in the lounge with internet but you had to wait for it
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? ya
- Did you make any new friends? alot! ;D
- Did you decorate your room? ya, the first day we all made a ton a paper hearts and taped them in our room and me and my friend put up tons of posters and letters and then we also made signs with our names on them
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? getting a break away from my family(sounds mean, but my house really echos and it gets LOUD) and making new friends
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Nadik mall(spelling?) or Newbury Street(Shopping!)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? getting in trouble if u forgot to go all of the way downstairs(I was on the 2nd floor) to check into the building
- How was the food? disgusting. We ordered pizza almost every night starting in the end of the 2nd week
- Were you homesick? sometimes, but I was really busy with friends so that kept my mind off of it. Plus my friends were super supportive.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Uhm, well my friends BF died in a car accident(:'() and so we were trying to cheer her up so another one of my friends got some hairspray and was impersonating corny collins lol. And, we played spit(cards) ALOT! Like, once for 2 hours straight. And walking to the pet store near the studio.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? nope
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? nope
- What was the best advice you received? hips forward? i was placed in a low level cuz I had really bad jetlag on the placement class(and by the time I was even semi normal it was too late to switch and I had really good friends) so most of our corrections were turn-out and hips forward and stuff.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were pretty much the same
- What are some new things you have to work on? They made us work on our turn out ALOT...
- What triumphs did you have? I have almost 180 degree turnout now
- Were there special guest teachers? Nope
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? nope
- Did you get an injury? Without realizing it (I thought it was shin splints) I sprained both of my ankles(Bilateral high ankle sprain) and was out for a month when I got back. I didn't do anything about it besides ice it until I got home. But a whole lot of people got stress fractures
- Describe your favorite teacher. She always gave us really fun combinations(we only had her once a week and our normal teacher was kinda boring) Also, I loved the jazz teacher, he gave us combos to Jonas Brothers and stuff it was amazingly fun!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? There was one a week, you were required to go. There was nutrition, injury prevention, dance history, and costumes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? you could see the show from the older program, but we didn't have a show, just a parent osbv. day
- What was your piece like? X
- Did your family and friends come? my parents came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Some cheer camp was staying in some of the rooms on my floor and on the floor above us during the last week and a half. they didn't tell us about it and they were all jerks.
- What disappointed you? The food
- What would you do differently if you could? Hang out with my roommate and suite
- What is your best memory? when I wasn't feeling good and this girl that I wasn't even that nice too(but now we're like best friends) let me lay in her bed and was taking care of me.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? ??
- Would you do another SI? Ya! I'm auditioning for a lot in Jan/Feb

By Trinket Comments: 73, member since Thu Feb 07, 2008
On Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:37 PM
i went to joffrey ny and thought it was fun, but i really did not like the dorms.... i made a lot of friends, and i felt like i improved.....but i will not be auditioning for it thsi year because i do not want to go back.
By raspberrymuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Tue Dec 16, 2008
On Fri Dec 26, 2008 01:24 PM
i noticed that i messed up on a couple of questions...and forgot to answer a couple. so i'm putting them here.(:

-Was there a show at the end? you could see the show from the older program, but we didn't have a show, just a parent osbv. day but we learned variations in rep class to preform
- What was your piece like? the royal ballet's version of blue bird and some swan lake thing for all of us that she had to change a little
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? uhm. that i need to think about the little things i guess?
- Did you know anyone? no
Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch