re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By dcnballerina Comments: 72, member since Mon Dec 29, 2008
On Mon Dec 29, 2008 05:04 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Chicago
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet tap jazz pointe
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Virginia School of the Arts
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? PLane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no and no
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet pointe and 2 special classes like modern tap jazz pas variation contemporary pas and other stuff too
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? big variety
- Did you have a dress code? yes, black leo. pink tights for ballet and pointe. any leo, black or pink tights for other things
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes, i packed too many
- Did you know anyone? yes i came with 3 friends

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms=AWESOME
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?we walked to the main building like 3 blocks
- What was your roommate like? she was my best friend from home
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes but i didnt
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes
- Did you make any new friends? TONS
- Did you decorate your room? VERY MUCH SO
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? all the people you meet become like family
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? shopping!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? the cleaning ugg
- How was the food? great
- Were you homesick? not at all i wanted to stay longer
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. we loved to just hang out in peoples rooms and talk about the older girls who scared us, my one friend also loved to run around screaming and scaring people...also my one friend had the door knob on the bathroom fall off and she was screaming and we had to resque her! it was hilarious

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no they were VERY nice
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? pretty much the same
- What was the best advice you received? i learned how to close my su-su's faster and tighter and that makes everything look neater on pointe
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? not
- What are some new things you have to work on? variations

- Were there special guest teachers? yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes and i loved PARTNERING!
- Did you get an injury? :( no i did not thank GOD
- Describe your favorite teacher. mr marshal was so nice and had a great approach to teaching, he wasnt mean at all and would joke around with the students
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? i had many and they were great
- Did your family and friends come? my dad did

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?how nice everyone was
- What disappointed you? it wasnt extremely intense
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing
- What is your best memory? the wonderufl people
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? all of me is put into my dancing...my heart not my body
- Would you do another SI? yes

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...
By melikeballet Comments: 256, member since Thu Mar 15, 2007
On Tue Dec 30, 2008 09:52 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Kansas City metro area
- How old are you? I was 12 at the time.
- How long have you danced? around 9 years
- What types of dances do you study? technique, pointe, variations, flamenco, pilates, some jazz and occasional pas de deux.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) School of American Ballet, New York City, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, but not to dance :D
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes I've been to an SI but never to SAB. This was the first year I was old enough.
- How long did you go for? 5 GLORIOUS weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Technique and pointe everyday, with character, pilates and variations on other days to supplement.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mostly ballet, but we had character too, and older students had ballroom and pas de deux (they call it adagio at SAB).
- Did you have a dress code? Sort of. We could wear whatever color leo we wanted, but we had to wear pink tights and shoes, and for character class a knee length skirt and character shoes. In pointe and variations we could also wear a ballet skirt if we wanted.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yep!
- Did you know anyone? A bunch of people from my ballet school went, and I roomed with two of them :D

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms!!!!!
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Nope... they were in the same building :D
- What was your roommate like? Well, I already knew my roomies so they were great, and I basically became best friends with my suitemates!!!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I overpacked non-ballet clothes, but I always do that.
- Did you make any new friends? TONS!
- Did you decorate your room? Of course... SAB even has this thing called Color Wars which makes decorating your entire floor (rooms included) a contest.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Getting to experience NYC and meeting new friends who love ballet as much as me...
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Going to see all of the wonderful shows on Broadway and seeing NYCB and ABT!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? The dreaded pink slip/ early curfew... but I never got one so it wasn't so bad.
- How was the food? SO YUMMY!!!
- Were you homesick? Not at all, which surprised me :D
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Hmm... Definitely going to Duane Reade and Central Park, and then there was that one time when we planned a surprise party for my suitemate's birthday and we ran all the way to Duane Reade and back with only ten minutes until she was done with class. The last night in our dorms we roasted marshmallows on bobby pins with lighters and even attempted to melt chocolate, then tried to cover up the smell with straightening solution. Good times...

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not at all... the studios were pretty much perfect, and the teachers made you feel right at home.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Well, it was Balanchine, and that's what I always do so it wasn't so bad, but it was much more of a PURE Balanchine than I was used to.
- What was the best advice you received? I think it was just realizing (with the help of my favorite teacher) that, because I'm tall, I need to use it to the best I can. It made me dance that much longer and fuller, and I finally realized that trying to be short made me dance shorter so I needed to burst out of my shell!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Hmm...they were very into quality not quantity, so that wasn't new, but it was on a much higher level than I'm used to. At first the steps didn't seem all that hard, but when you did them consistently and correctly you discover that there is a reason for only doing one turn and having simpler combinations. The whole time they built up, so the last week classes were much harder than, say, our second class at SAB ever.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Keeping my chin up and always having beautiful fingers.
- What triumphs did you have? One moment that I remember very clearly was when we were learning a variation from Peter Martins' Sleeping Beauty. I was in the very first group to do the whole thing, and the moment I step into sous-souz the teacher asks the pianist to stop playing. She asked me to demonstrate how well I did it, and then after I'd done it about three times she said, "Oh lovely Miss Emma!!! Long and beautiful... in five years I see a dancer with New York City Ballet!" That was the greatest moment of my entire life.
- Were there special guest teachers? All of the teachers teach there year-round too, so nope!
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Um... not really, because only the older levels get partnering, and they also have ballroom, but I'd never taken real character before, so that was a fun experiment!
- Did you get an injury? Nope! The greatest thing about that is, as soon as you feel the slightest bit of pain, the teachers want to to sit down or not do the combination. The next day whoever was injured is well again, and there is an onsite physical therapist who sorted out this problem I was having with my knees.
- Describe your favorite teacher. HYPER, enthusiastic, kind, and caring. Ms. Killian always gave a great class, and was very balanchine-y (but then again all of the teachers are). I think her favorite phrase was: "FINGERS LADIES!!!! SPEEDY SPEEDY SPEEDY! (She liked everything fast.) Everything is beautiful but would even lovelier if you used your FINGERS!"
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yep. We have various seminars like performance enhancement, nutrition, physical therapy,etc. and we also had screenings of that Jock Soto documentary and the SAB spring workshop.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Nope!
- What was your piece like?___
- Did your family and friends come?___

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?How much I learned while I was there. I think I improved a YEAR in five weeks.
- What disappointed you? Honestly, nothing...
- What would you do differently if you could? Again, nothing. Except I wish that you didn't have to be 14 to live in the dorms during the year...:(
- What is your best memory? Probably what I said before about the marshmallows and of course my moment of glory.:D
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I would say that my perspective has changed a lot. I've gotten much more confident and sure of myself, and work that much harder every day. I've realized that my goal is to get in year round to SAB when I'm old enough, and having gone in the summer makes it that much more feasible.
- Would you do another SI? Heck yes!!!!!!!
SAB was the single best five weeks of my life and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING!
*melikeballet*
By balletdancer1122 Comments: 11, member since Sun Jan 28, 2007
On Sun Jan 04, 2009 07:58 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New Orleans
- How old are you? 16
- What types of dances do you study? ballet and hip hop
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) The Rock School in Philadelphia, PA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes; i lived in Hershey when i was 2
- How did you get there? drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no and no
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2 technique classes and then the third was a different one every day, like pointe, partnering, jazz, repetoire
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet
- Did you have a dress code? any color leotard and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? i brought 6 pairs and only used 2 of them
- Did you know anyone? nope

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms at Haverford College
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 45 minute bus ride
- What was your roommate like? i didn't have one
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yeah
- Did you make any new friends? i guess
- Did you decorate your room? nope
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? it was a taste of what it will be like living away from home when i'm older
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? NYC
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? if you were sick you basically weren't allowed to do anything, even if you felt better
- How was the food? alright
- Were you homesick? yes i was 1200 miles away from home
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. i guess i missed some of the crazy times because i'm a person that likes to spend time by myself

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? each teacher had different style so at first it was hard to deteremine what each one wanted
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? pretty much the same
- What was the best advice you received? i don't remember
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? i don't remember
- What are some new things you have to work on? idk

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes
- Did you get an injury? i thought i had hurt my ankle partnering the second week but thankfully i did not
- Describe your favorite teacher. Jenn- practically everyone would cheer when she'd come in the room

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes but i didn't stay the full 6 weeks
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? the long bus ride and that i lived in a dorm with single rooms
- What disappointed you? i was in a level that had 13 year olds in it
- What would you do differently if you could? eaten better
- What is your best memory? NYC
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? work hard all the time, even if you aren't feeling up to it, and you will see improvement
By tutudreams Comments: 110, member since Wed Jan 23, 2008
On Tue Jan 06, 2009 08:52 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New Hampshire
- How old are you? 10
- How long have you danced? 7 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, lyrical, tap, jazz, modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) The Rock School in Philadelphia, PA
- How did you get there? drove
- How long did you go for? 2 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2 technique classes and a pointe or jazz class
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet
Did you have a dress code? Any color leotard, pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I was not on pointe at that time
Did you know anyone? Yes
If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?
- What was your roommate like?
- Were you allowed to have a computer?
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
- Did you make any new friends?
- Did you decorate your room?
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?
- How was the food?
- Were you homesick?
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No, it was really fun having rotating faculty. Sometimes it was hard to know what each teacher wanted right away though.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? It was different than my home studio.
- What was the best advice you received? Don't ever worry about the others around you, always dance up to your abilities.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? The classes and other students were more serious and the teachers were generous with their corrections...and praise as well.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Really traveling across the floor, not opening my hip in my arabesque.

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No, I was in the lower levels, so we didn't do partnering.
- Did you get an injury? No
- Describe your favorite teacher. Jennifer Wheat - She was amazing and so nice. I also liked Gabriel. He made lots of corrections.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? I don't know. I didn't stay at the dorms.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? There was a show at the end, but you had to stay all 6 weeks to participate.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? That the teachers were so helpful. They made a ton of personal corrections and really seemed to enjoy being there.
- What disappointed you? I wish I had even more classes!
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing.
- What is your best memory? Making new friends and experiencing new teaching styles.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Dance like there is noone there, love what you are doing, never "dance down" so that others will like you
- Would you do another SI? Yes! I can't wait!
By sugerplumfairy Comments: 1164, member since Fri Nov 09, 2007
On Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? southern California
- How old are you? I'm fifteen but fourteen at the time
- How long have you danced? I had danced about 6 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ABT Austin
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? NO
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Just my studio ones, no
- How long did you go for? a month
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe or partnering, rehearsal or jazz or modern or broadway
- Did you have a dress code? Pink tights, black leo mon, wed, and fri tues thursday you had to wear maroon or navy
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no
- Did you know anyone? no

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? it was a 15 min walk
- What was your roommate like? AMAZING
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? no I packed way too much stuff
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? being in control, except for a few simple rules, you could live your life the way you wanted to
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? going to see a ballet
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? You couldn't leave at all unless you had a chaperone, and they didn't take you out really
- How was the food? it okay, i didn't think it was that bad
- Were you homesick? I missed my teachers but I wasn't homesick for my home
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Hmm I don't think I have any. Well when me and another girl got into a huge debate: Harry potter vrs edward cullen

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Yes, because I didn't like the way they had their classes
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? a little bit but it wasn't too hard to switch methods
- What was the best advice you received? too relax
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? it was based on the ABT curriculem, mine at home are more balanchine
- What are some new things you have to work on? working on your fifth
- What triumphs did you have? learning to finally do triples
- Were there special guest teachers? just the abt faculty
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? modern
- Did you get an injury? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. she seemed cold, but you could tell she really cared. She would come up to me after class or when I was in the hallway and just start working with me
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? not in the evenings but we had dance history

Performance:
- What was your piece like? princesses from swan lake and another classical piece
- Did your family and friends come? no

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? that the bar to get in wasn't very high
- What disappointed you? the class sizes, the level of the class, some of the teachers
- What would you do differently if you could? not go, or have a more postive attitude oh yeah and actually go to bed
- What is your best memory? Whenever the teachers would tell me that I had something special that made them watch me.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? that you have to go to a serius program to improve a lot
- Would you do another SI? yes, just not this one

By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1284, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 AM
How long have you danced? since I was about 9
- What types of dances do you study? ballet. And some lyrical/interpretive
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Ballet Magnificat! in Jackson, Mississippi
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? never been to the South before!
- How did you get there? I flew on a plane by myself :D
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? only local ones, but never this one.
- How long did you go for? two weeks. They also have a 4 week program as well.
- What were your daily classes? A ballet class, and two other classes out of pointe, variations, modern, jazz, improv or Pas de deux (only for upper levels for PDD though)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? all ballet based
- Did you have a dress code? black leo, cut tights under leo, black skirt, pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I think I brought about 6. yeah, too many for 2 weeks...
- Did you know anyone? not a soul, but I made tons of friends!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms at Belhaven college
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? if your class was at Belhaven, it was like a 5 min. walk, if your class was at Balletmag studios, then it was a 15 min. bus ride.
- What was your roommate like? she was a sweetheart, and slightly crazy!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yeah, but you could only use it at certain times.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? didn't bring enough street clothes! lol
- Did you make any new friends? soo many...
- Did you decorate your room? not at all. my roommate and I didn't even unpack since it was only 2 weeks :P
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? news friends next door, so many memories...
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? we didn't do that much....
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? lights out at 10pm
- How was the food? the salad/soup/sandwich bar saved my life from pasta
- Were you homesick? not at all.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. just hanging out walking around taking pictures....

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not much. A lot of stuff was similar to the training at my studio
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? about the same-ish.
- What was the best advice you received? stretching knees all the way--energy to the floor
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? some of the combination styles were different--just the way they put them together. It was more lyrical too.
- What are some new things you have to work on? petit allegro! and fast movements in general
- What triumphs did you have? higher extension, and better allegro.
- Were there special guest teachers? I don't think so--just company dancers as teachers as well as the BMag faculty
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? improv was different. but not completely new
- Did you get an injury? yeah.....an edema I think. But I don't think it came from the intensive though.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Miss Sol was probably my favorite teacher--she's strict, but really nice and gave fantastic corrections. Mr. Jiri was amazing too--just to see him demonstrate the combination (full out) inspired you to try your best on it. He's pretty intimidating though...
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nope

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? kind of--it was kind of talent show-ish. You could bring stuff if you wanted to.
- What was your piece like? I did a solo to "If you want me to" by Ginny Owens.
- Did your family and friends come? no. haha.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? the teachers actually liked me and gave me corrections! At my studio at home, I don't get noticed that much.
- What disappointed you? I didn't get to stay for all 4 weeks :(
- What would you do differently if you could? not get injured :)
- What is your best memory? learning Balletmag's variations. I LOVE the choreography. OH, and pas de deux class. That was probably my favorite class ever---we learned the pas from Don Q and I had one partner who was 6'4"! So so so happiness for me as a girl who's 5'10"!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Do it as unto the Lord.
- Would you do another SI? most definitely!

I LOVED Balletmag, but from what I'd heard from friends, I knew I probably would. Their style is much more of a lyrical ballet that is similar to what I do in this company I dance with. I really would love to dance with them in the future--so I sent in an audition video and application for their trainee program.
By JuliaRose Comments: 46, member since Wed Jan 14, 2009
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 03:09 PM
Hi! I was just reading through the posts and saw yours. I went to Boston DanceLab in 2007 too, assuming thats the year you went as well. I could'nt seem to recognize you though, but I thought I would ask anyway.. Who was your teacher??!! I had ms. silva in level 7... I was at least familiar with most of the girls names and was wondering if I might know of you!!
By JuliaRose Comments: 46, member since Wed Jan 14, 2009
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 02:38 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Houston TX
- How old are you? 15
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Atlanta Ballet, Georgia
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? no
- How did you get there? Plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, no
- How long did you go for? 5 wks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Pointe, Modern Jazz, Rehearsal/Variations
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? We did lots of ballet obviously but we did do alot of modern/jazz i must admit
- Did you have a dress code? Black leo pink tights... except for of saturdays... its like an unofficial rule that you can wear a colored leo : )
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone? yes... there were 6 other girls from my studio with me!!

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? it was like a 5 minute walk.. not bad at all
- What was your roommate like? interesting.... the dorms are very spacious and you share a suite but you have your own room so i didnt see my roommate much honestly
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes but no internet access
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? brought a little too much but hey i used it all
- Did you decorate your room? just with photos and stuff
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? i love the freedom
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? just going and shopping in atlantic station a few nights a week
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Having to travel in groups of atleast 4
- How was the food? Well they have a meal plan but you could also just buy your own food at the grocery store which is what I did... i heard the meal plan food is gross though
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. eating pints of icecream and watching movies in the dorm rooms!!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? a bit but not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received? to stay forward!!!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? well everyone only went across the floor once.. im used to going across a few times
- What are some new things you have to work on? really pointing my feet in petit allegro
- What triumphs did you have? doing some consistent triples on pointe
- Were there special guest teachers? yeah... Li Chou Cheng and Maiqui Manosa, Bobby Barnett..
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? well there was lots of partnering but thats not new to me
- Describe your favorite teacher. Armando Luna!!! he was so upbeat and funny but taught me so much
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? umm very few... there was an informal one on nutrition and sometimes we got to watch the pro level dance

Performance:
- What was your piece like? the friends dance from coppelia
- Did your family and friends come? my parents

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much freedom we had
- What disappointed you? all the jazz and modern we did

- What would you do differently if you could? nothing
- What is your best memory? the last day when we were performing... it was so insanely fun and energizing and got me really excited about my future as a dancer
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? that it can be fun!
- Would you do another SI? absolutely

By katiebug722 Comments: 18, member since Sun Feb 08, 2009
On Tue Feb 10, 2009 02:56 PM
I went to joffrey south

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Louisiana
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 11 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Modern, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Millegdville, Georgia
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? no
- How did you get there? airplane then rental car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes yes
- How long did you go for? 2 weeks
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe, choreography, pilates
- Did you have a dress code? black leo, pink tights, hair in bun
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone?yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? not reaally
- What was your roommate like? okay..
- Did you make any new friends? oh yeah
- Did you decorate your room? a ittle
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? idk
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? shopping
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? in room at 10
- How was the food? good
- Were you homesick? not really
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. making videos

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?no
- What was the best advice you received? idk
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?no
- What are some new things you have to work on? idk
- What triumphs did you have? more turns
- Were there special guest teachers? valerie madonia (director)
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. trinity hamilton. funny

Performance:
- What was your piece like? pointe. musical theatre. modern ballet
- Did your family and friends come? yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? noting
- What disappointed you? nothing
- What would you do differently if you could? idk
- What is your best memory? making friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? idk
- Would you do another SI?yes
--
By dancerxcfn Comments: 26, member since Sat Feb 28, 2009
On Sat Feb 28, 2009 08:57 PM
Edited by dancerxcfn (208375) on 2009-02-28 20:59:19
---
By lacinderella Comments: 3, member since Sun Mar 01, 2009
On Sun Mar 01, 2009 09:51 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New Mexico
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? 11 years?
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, jazz, tap
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) I an listing all summer Intensives I have attended in order from the first to the most recent:
Burkyln Ballet, Jillana, Joffrey Texas, Boston Ballet, North Carolina School of the Arts, I do not know where I will be going this summer.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? NO
- How did you get there? Plane for all of them except Jillana, that was close enough my mom drove me there
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
- How long did you go for? they were anywhere from 3-5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, nutrition, jazz, pilates, partnering, point, some choreography
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mostly ballet but others as well
- Did you have a dress code? yes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? after the first year yes
- Did you know anyone? at some of them I did. I actually enjoy it more when I do not know anyone. I am not worrying about how I am doing compared to someone that I know. This allows me to focus more on what I need to focus

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? only at Boston Ballet, all the others on on the campus near by
- What was your roommate like? some good and some just alright
- Were you allowed to have a computer? I did not have one I could bring
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? first year--took way too much
- Did you decorate your room? a little with photos
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? not having to listen to my mom
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? shopping and amusement park and the zoo
- How was the food? not the best, but I am vegetarian so that makes it harder
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. blocking one of the girls in the bathroom. facials.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?
most of them had better floors than i am used to dancing on
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received?
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
- What are some new things you have to work on?
- What triumphs did you have? double turns
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
- Did you get an injury? :( shin splints
- Describe your favorite teacher.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?

Performance:
- Did your family and friends come? my parents

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
- What disappointed you? not getting a part that I wanted, because I was too tall ( I am 5' 7'')
- What would you do differently if you could?
- What is your best memory?
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
- Would you do another SI? most definitely

By masha11 Comments: 14, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Fri Mar 13, 2009 09:55 AM
Where are you from? New York
How long hav you danced? 8 years
What types of dance do you study? Ballet Point
Where did you go for your SI? Bolshoi
Have you ever been to this city state or cu=ountry? No
How did you get there? Car
Have you ever been to a Si before? Yes Have you ever been to this one before? No
How long did you go for? 3 weeks
What were your daily classes? ballet point repritor russian studies charactor
Did you have a dress code? Yes Black leotard and Pink tights
Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
Did you know anyone? Yes
Did you live in a dorm or host family? Dorms ( they were really HOT!
Did you have to walk far to get to class? About 2 or 3 blocks, not too far
Were you allowed to have a computer? Not sure, but they had a computer room
Did you make any new friends? A Lot! :)
Did you decorate your room? A little
What was your favorite dorm activity there? Going to a home made ice cream shop and SHOPPING!! :)
How was the food? AWESOME!
Were you homesick? Nope!
Did you struggle with ajusting? Not at all the teachers were very nice
Was it a different method than your used to? No, the same, Vagonava! :)
What was the best ballet advice you recieved? How to use my turn out mucles
Did you get any injury? No! :)
Was the show at the end? Yep!!
What was your peice like? I had 2 and they were really fun!!!! :D
Did your family and friends come? Just my family
What dissapointed you? There was no classes on Saturdays! :(
What would you do differently if you could? Nothing
What is your best memory? All of the nice friends I met and how great the teachers are! :)
By balletgirl4God Comments: 48, member since Tue Apr 14, 2009
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:40 PM
- Where are you from? not gonna say
- How old are you?14
- What types of dances do you study?ballet pointe jazz tap
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) school of american ballet in nyc
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?yes
- How did you get there? airplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, no, but I am going back this summer! yay!
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe, character and/or pilates
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet mostly
- Did you have a dress code?not, just hair in bun, leotard, and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no :D
- Did you know anyone? my sister, and one other girl

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?not at all. I just took an elavator to the floor the classes were on.
- What was your roommate like? really really nice and a christian too.
- Were you allowed to have a computer?yes
- Did you make any new friends? oh yes!
- Did you decorate your room? sort of
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? there was so much freedom and I gained such independance
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? the color wars, and walking around NYC with friends
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? if you forgot to check in more than 5 times at 8:00 you got sent home.
- How was the food? really delicious
- Were you homesick? not at all
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. well, truth or dare of course, and running up and down stairs a million times, and eating a ton of icecream and playing fun pranks

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? I love Sab style, and most of the teachers were nice, so no, not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes.
- What was the best advice you received? Always dance with your heart
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? the style is so much more expressive and free than at home.
- What are some new things you have to work on? the deep luges before pirouettes
- What triumphs did you have? being the youngest in my class
- Were there special guest teachers? no
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Did you get an injury? sort of
- Describe your favorite teacher. She was very cranky and got mad if you didn't do things exactly how she wanted them, but she was very good!!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? for advanced level
- What was your piece like? didn't do one
- Did your family and friends come?no

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How good everybody was
- What disappointed you?nothing really
- What would you do differently if you could? be nicer, and think about things before I say them
- What is your best memory? When one teacher said "great job" to me at the end of class. and just gaining such wonderful friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? there will always be someone better than me at dance.
- Would you do another SI? YES! i am actually doing this one again this year!
By emtanze Comments: 106, member since Sun Apr 05, 2009
On Tue Apr 28, 2009 04:53 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
Indiana
- How old are you?
- How long have you danced?
11 years
- What types of dances do you study?
ballet, modern, contemporary, some jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)
Saratoga Summer Dance Intensive, Saratoga Springs, NY
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
no...well, to the country since I'm from the US :D
- How did you get there?
Amtrak
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program
before?
yes and no. but I knew the director from when I trained in Pittsburgh in high school.
- How long did you go for?
four weeks
- What were your daily classes?
ballet once or twice, variations or pointe, partnering, rep, sometimes jazz or pilates
- Did you have a dress code?
yes, which I hated because I had to buy a specific leotard that I DEFINITELY would not have purchased by my own choice.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
not quite...it was very humid and they died a little faster than usual.
- Did you know anyone?
the directors and one teacher. and I ran into a girl I had known from a previous intensive. I ended up knowing a lot of people who knew people I already knew, though.

If you lived there:
the housing was set up as five bed-and-breakfasts, so "dorms" even though they weren't exactly dorms per se
it was about six blocks to the studio. I walked every day.
I didn't have one since I went as an RA, but the girls in my house were very sweet.
yes, I brought my laptop. the wifi in the house wasn't always great, though.
I packed a little more than I needed to, but I had everything I needed, which was good. there wasn't much closet space, and I ended up wearing comfy clothes like sweats more often than I had thought I would.
yes, I got pretty well-acquainted with all the girls in my house, and with the other RAs and housemothers and their daughters.
only for my 20th birthday! some of my girls snuck while was asleep and decorated it for me.
it was nice to live with a lot of people after a year in a tiny studio apartment by myself!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
i liked going to the park. it was a few blocks away. and window shopping was fun. but the best was getting to see 7 NYCB performances!
that the girls couldn't go anywhere without the RA or housemom. it meant that every time someone wanted to go somewhere, I had to go too! and sometimes I just felt like staying home. but mostly we went out in groups so it wasn't too bad.
- How was the food?
it was good...home-cooked every night! it was fun to have everyone make dinner together like one huge crazy family of ballerinas. :D
- Were you homesick?
nope!
we took a lot of crazy photos in front of this fountain in the park...silly model shots. and once we went on a picnic. the girls went cosmic bowling one night with the housemothers for one girl's birthday.

Class:
just the sticky floor and no air conditioning! I learned fast to bring plenty of paper towels in with me.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?
slightly...I had had Balanchine style class before, but not recently.
"no one cares what you say you can do until you prove you can do it"...or something to that effect. Simon Ball told us that.
it was weird to have a lot if ability levels in the same class. the program only has three levels to there was a wide age range in each class.
I learned a lot of new ways to play with accenting steps; phrasing and things like that.
- What triumphs did you have?
I was able to be open to a new way of working.
- Were there special guest teachers?
yes, and they were great! NYCB dancers and faculty, Simon Ball and his wife Frances, and Pat Wilde and Dana Arey, both of whom I had had in Pittsburgh.
I had partnering, but it wasn,t totally new. NYCB corps men came and did the partnering class, which was great. having an experienced partner makes it fun to take risks and try things you can't try when you're dancing with a student.
- Did you get an injury?
nope. well, not there. i think from the torque of the sticky floor I developed a calcium deposit in my ankle that cropped up once the season started...but I got it taken care of.
I liked all of them for different reasons.
yes, at least once a week. there were faculty talks, a photo showing, and a makeup seminar.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
yes
I performed in the ten girls' dance from "Who Cares?" and the Russian Girl in "Serenade"
my mother drove out for the show.

Overall:
how easily or not a group of dancers from different backgrounds can come together if they all cooperate and work together
- What disappointed you?
sometimes we didn't come together very well as a group
I would have been more patient in rehearsals
knowing I pushed myself as hard as I could have
a dancer is never finished. as long as his or her career lasts, he or she will always learn something new...sometimes from people you wouldn't expect!
- Would you do another SI?
yes! I am going back to SSDI again this year :)
By marykruk Comments: 3, member since Mon Feb 18, 2008
On Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 AM
hi, im going to the same intensive this year. was it scary going alone?? bc i am and im really nervous. so nervous actually.
and did samantha shelton use favoritism meaning she knew the girls? or did she see their dancing and then place them? im confused.
thanks so much!
By tutucute22 Comments: 42, member since Tue Jun 02, 2009
On Tue Jun 02, 2009 03:44 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Nashville, TN
- How old are you? 13
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, modern, and character
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Interlochen Center for the Arts Interlochen, MI
- How did you get there? Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No and no
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, pointe, contemporary, either jazz or body conditioning, and repertory
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet and contemporary
- Did you have a dress code? Black leo pink tights hair in a bun
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no
- Did you know anyone? yes one girl and one boy from my studio

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Cabins
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? no
- What was your roommate like? I had about 12 and they were all really fun to be around
- Were you allowed to have a computer? no
- Did you make any new friends? YES!
- Did you decorate your room? yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? playing games with cabin mates and counslors it was like a second family
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? going to all of the shows-- there were A LOT!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? no cellphones
- How was the food? pretty good
- Were you homesick? not really

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not at all
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? not really
- What was the best advice you received? I received too much to put just one!
- What are some new things you have to work on? letting go so I can just dance
- What triumphs did you have? Connecting myself with nature
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? not really there wasn't a specifin partnering class anyway but there was partnering in most of the repertory pieces
- Describe your favorite teacher. Extremly inspiring and fun to be around. She really wanted to get to know us on a more personal level too like going to get ice cream with us
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Not in the evenings but during our breaks

Performance:
- What was your piece like? Contemporary ballet
- Did your family and friends come? family

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? that I had so much fun!
- What disappointed you? Nothing
- What would you do differently if you could? sneaked my cellphone into the dance dressing room
- What is your best memory? I have too many to choose one!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Connections to nature and a bunch more!
- Would you do another SI? I would but I really want to experience as many different intensives as possible. If i did go back it would be when I would be in high school division

By dancexxtonight Comments: 166, member since Thu Feb 23, 2006
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 08:54 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? BC, Canada
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 11 years.
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Jazz and Contemporary
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Goh Ballet, Vancouver BC, Canada
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes to all :)
- How did you get there? took a ferry over, then drove.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? That was the first one I went to that wasn't at my studio.
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet/pointe, variation, Pas de deux, contemporary, character.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet
- Did you have a dress code? not really.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? no :P I had to buy more.
- Did you know anyone? Yes :) I went with my friend Jess

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Host family.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Not really. Just a 5-10 minute bus ride.
- What was your roommate like? LOVE HER!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes, my roomie had her lap top.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes and no. I packed too much useless stuff
- Did you make any new friends? of course :)
- Did you decorate your room? no :( i couldn't. the family i was with wouldn;t let us.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? No parents and no chores :)
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Didn;t have any. well, shopping... :)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? we had to be home by 5:00 pm.
- How was the food? oh god. gross. well, at first it was good, but then we ate the same thing for 5 weeks. I still don't eat eggs.
- Were you homesick? not really.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Me and my roomie got lost in Vancouver. Then, we went to the PNE (amusement park) and were followed by some creepy Portuguese guys.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really. we had one teacher who was from Russia, so it was hard to understand him. and, some teacher called things differently. like a Grande Jete was a Grand Pas de Chat.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes. I do Cecchetti, and this was mostly RAD
- What was the best advice you received? to SMILE! and look like you're having fun!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? they were pretty similar.
- What are some new things you have to work on? none of it was really new, but it was good to find other teachers who notice the same faults as your original teacher.
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes a couple.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Hah yes. PDD was completely new to me, because at my studio the only guy is 10 years old. I still feel bad for stepping on my partners foot a billion times
- Did you get an injury? yes :( well, it was just part of my ankle that got all messed up, but it's all good now :)
- Describe your favorite teacher. oh man, he was this tiny chinese man. Really enthusiastic about life, and wouldn;t just focus on the ballet princesses.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? nope.

Performance:
- What was your piece like? a lot of bourres. (sp?) but tons of fun.
- Did your family and friends come? my mother :)

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The diversity of dancers.
- What disappointed you? some of the girls that were total be-otches.
- What would you do differently if you could? probably not stay with a chinese family. I can't get over the food.
- What is your best memory? just the whole experience and the new levels of dance i achieved.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? don't really know. :S
- Would you do another SI? OF COURSE! they're tons of fun!
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Mon Jun 22, 2009 03:52 PM
perhaps everyone could help me by including if they had to audition or not.
By dramatoes Comments: 23, member since Sat May 23, 2009
On Tue Jun 23, 2009 04:44 PM
I'm new to this post-this is for melikeballet-Emma!!?? haha you probably have no idea who I am. This is Katherine who was in your class at SAB this past summer!!! haha it's such a small world!! You are right-Ms. Killian LOVED LOVED LOVED you!!! She didn't really care for me. Are you going back to SAB? I'm going to Chautauqua as a Festival dancer on scholarship. Was Marissa one of your roommates? She is going too!!! I hope you respond!!! :)
By BalletGirl404 Comments: 243, member since Tue Sep 25, 2007
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 05:29 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Canada (sorry but I'd rather not say my province or city)
- How old are you? 12 almost 13
- How long have you danced? 8 years? not sure!
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Ukrainian & I used to do Jazz.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Canada!
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yep!
- How did you get there? My mom drove me.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Nope, this was my first one!
- How long did you go for? 1 week, not that long! I wish it was longer :(
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Both!
- Did you have a dress code? Actually no. As long as we could dance in it! Most people wore sweats and yoga pants. A few were leotards and tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Nope
- Did you know anyone? Yes, I went with my friend plus I knew a few other girls and guys from the studio!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms!
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Down 2 flights of Stairs for the one we were in 85% of the time. the other one was down two flights of stairs, across a room, outside for 30 meters and then your there!!
- What was your roommate like? I had two for most of it! One of them was so amazing. The other was pretty good a bit annoying though. During the middle of the week another girl came because she was having trouble with her other roommates and she great too! I thought I got pretty lucky with my mates!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Nope!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Sorry, not sure what that means.
- Did you make any new friends? YES!! So many! I miss them so much
By Tuala Comments: 116, member since Thu Aug 23, 2007
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 03:09 PM
Well, this is a winter intensive and it includes not only ballet, but every style of dance... It was a Brent Street in Sydney. I recommend it for everyone wanting to get into the entertainment industry because it helps you to be trained in all areas and be an overall, all-rounded dancer.

Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
Sydney, Australia
- How old are you?
This is my fourth year at a studio, I've been in school dance groups etc, for longer though.
Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Funk, Pointe, Tap, done a little bit of hip hop before
Sydney, NSW Australia
Yup, live here.
- How did you get there?
Train, Bus and then a short walk.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
Nope, this is my first intensive.
Five days
They changed everyday but I think we had hip hop every day (to get a taste of a bit of all styles)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?
We did a bit of everything: classical ballet, contemporary, jazz, repertoire, tap, acrobatics, singing, musical theatre, hip hop, funk, impro, jazz technique
No, just any comfortable dancewear. Of course, everyone wears the proper attire to ballet etc anyway.
There wasn't any pointe
- Did you know anyone?
No, but I met alot of people

Class:
The studios and faculty in general was very big but it was very modern and often had glass panels so it was a bit weird because the public would just stand there and observe our classes.
No, it was the same if not similar
There wasn't really a best piece of advice but one that I really took to heart was to just let go and dance with your eyes closed.
Definitely much more different; in particular, they were a lot more fast paced.
Definitely my turns/pirouettes but there are so many other things – there's too many to list!
The ballet teacher said that I have good technique and although I did not get most of the choreography I didn't give up.
Well, Matt Lee is giving us a talk on the last day.
Acrobatics and singing. I actually found them quite enjoyable though
- Did you get an injury?
Nah, just really tight in the hamstrings by the end of the camp and a few bruises here and there.
Great guy who is a brilliant dancer and really taught us to feel what we were doing and to adapt the dance for ourselves. His teaching method is really laid back and he used so many funny analogies. Also, he went about everything at a moderate pace.
We had a short lecture from one of the ballet teachers and another on the last day.

Overall:
The ballet wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I went by so quickly, too!
- What disappointed you?
I was one of the worser dancers in the class and I'm only a moderate-paced learner so some of the intensive choreography, I couldn't really pick up at all. :(
Nothing, except maybe push myself a bit harder
Dancing all the time! It's been my dream to dance all day everyday and this intensive made it a reality.
To not care what everybody else thinks of you and your dancing and to just keep trying all the time.
Definitely; I loved every minute of it.
By ballet_babe_1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 672, member since Wed Jun 18, 2008
On Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:09 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
Michigan
- How old are you?
10 years
Ballet, Pointe, Jazz, Tap, and Lyrical/contemporary
Cecchetti Council of America's International Summer School in Holland, MI (USA)
Not the city, but yes I live in the state and country
- How did you get there?
My parents drove me
The past two years I went to ABT Detroit, but I've never been to this intensive before.
2 weeks
Two technique classes (sometimes one of them was on pointe), one etc. class such as modern, stretch and relax, feldenkrise (sorry on the spelling), carribian, character, etc. and then one rehearsal for the performance.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?
Mainly ballet, but occasionally there were other classes as mentioned above.
A leotard and tights..black leotards during the adjudication days.
Yes! My level (c2, which was basically level 5 out of 7) only had 3 pointe classes! I brought two new pairs and one almost dead pair..I only used one of the new pairs and they're still in new condition.
- Did you know anyone?
Yeah! I went with 5 other girls from my studio, one of which I roomed with.

If you lived there:
Dorms
It depended where the class was, most buildings were 5 minutes or less, but if you were at the theater or a few other places it took about ten minutes to walk.
Amazing! She goes to my studio so I already knew her, but I got to know her so much better and she's just the sweetest person!
Yeah but I didn't bring mine...
Yes, in fact I overpacked a lot!
Yeah!
Yes! With crepe paper, christmas lights, and pictures from home.
Probably that there was always someone to hang out with and you could always be with your friends. Also it was kind of cool to be completely independent and all.
Walking to town a few times was fun, so was the karaoke party and when we ordered chinese and pizza.
Lights out and in bed by 10:30. And you had to stick a shoe in your door so it was propped open so they could come and check that you were both in bed. My roommate and I liked to stretch before bed and they made us go to bed (we usually got back up once they closed the door hehe).
- How was the food?
Pretty good for the most part! Some stuff wasn't so good, but they usually had something yummy.
- Were you homesick?
Nope.
We always hung out in the evenings and we usually squeezed at least 6 of us in our tiny dorm rooms, towards the end of the camp it was a lot more than 6!

Class:
Nope.
No, it was cecchetti which is what we do at my studio.
It's better to relax the muscles than to tense them up. You'll have more success if you let the bones move freely in the sockets.
They're a bit stricter and more focused, but not really that different.
Really relaxing and freeing up the muscles and joints. Plus I've got to work on my flexibility and extension.
One teacher we had, Dawnell, would often give general corrections and tell the class to try them, and she would almost always tell me "That's very nice" or "Yes, that's it!" etc. and she learned my name really fast which was exciting.
Yeah Kate Simmons from England came the second week but my level didn't get to have her.
My level didn't have partnering, but we did have Caribbean which I've never done.
- Did you get an injury?
No luckily!
I liked all the teachers I had!
On saturday we had a lecture about dance related injuries...

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
Yes
It was called "Patterns of Change" and it was really cool and fun to perform! It was on flat, but that's ok it was still great!
Just my parents..

Overall:
How I didn't actually mind being away from home and how fast the two weeks went by!
- What disappointed you?
How fast the two weeks went by! And the fact that we only had 3 pointe classes.
Try to talk to even more people and get to know more people. Oh and pack less clothes because I overpacked so much.
I have a lot of good memories!
Everything doesn't always have to be tense, relax and just really enjoy what you're doing.
Yes!
By nettelamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 394, member since Sun May 20, 2007
On Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:26 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Florida
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 3 years seriously
- What types of dances do you study? ballet pointe
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ABT Austin
- How did you get there? PLane
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet pointe and 2 special classes like modern pas variation and other rehersals
- Did you have a dress code? yes, black leo. pink tights for ballet and pointe. burgandy on tuesdays, blue on thursdays and whatever on modern classes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes, i packed too many.I packed 4 and used 3
- Did you know anyone? Nope but i talked to a few on facebook.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms and it was really fun even though i hung out with different people who weren't my roommate
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?we walked to the different like 3 blocks
- What was your roommate like? she was really nice we weren't best friends but it was fine
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes, but i would have liked more sweat pants and stuff
- Did you make any new friends? TONS
- Did you decorate your room? yeah some stuff my friends sent
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? all the people you meet become like family
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? shopping and swimming and baseball
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? being in room by 11 on weekends
- How was the food? really good during week and ok on weekends but we went out too
- Were you homesick? not at all i wanted to stay longer
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We all hung out to watch SYTYCD and made fun of people we knew

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no they were VERY nice
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? pretty much the same just a little different terms and port de bras
- What was the best advice you received? to really concentrate on placement of tailbone and turning out more and correctly
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? only a little but I am from a Vaganova studio so its expected
- What are some new things you have to work on? tendinitous in my ankle and my placement

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes and i loved PARTNERING!
- Did you get an injury? Tend. in my ankle
- Describe your favorite teacher. Mrs. Spizzo and MR. Pech who did rehersals with us. They were awesome
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes sometimes

Performance:
- What was your piece like? We did paquita and a modern
- Did your family and friends come? my mom

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?how i wasn't homesick
- What disappointed you? i didn't like my pointe shoes and got tend.
- What would you do differently if you could? have pointes i know that i love
- What is your best memory? the wonderful people
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? that i really do enjoy it and i dont have to be perfect and compare myself to others

By Pique_Turn Comments: 24, member since Sun Mar 01, 2009
On Wed Aug 12, 2009 06:44 PM
Joffrey NY....

Getting ready:
- How old are you? - 13
- How long have you danced? - 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? - Ballet, modern, jazz
Joffrey Ballet School NY
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? - Nope!
- How did you get there? - plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? - Yes but not this one
- How long did you go for? - 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? - Technique, pointe/partnering, and then depending on the day contemporary, character, or modern
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? - A lot of contemporary focus
- Did you have a dress code? - yeah, black leos that you had to order from joffrey
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? - yeah but I could have brought one extra pair....
- Did you know anyone? - yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? - dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? - uh, not really...about 15 minutes by subway
- What was your roommate like? - i was in a single room so I didn't have one :/
- Were you allowed to have a computer? - No but there were ones you could use downstairs
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? - I think so
- Did you make any new friends? - YES!!!!
- Did you decorate your room? - No, I didn't have enough time!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? - Being in New York :)
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? - Seeing Wicked on Broadway
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? - Curfew at 9 PM
- How was the food? - We had to buy our own food and it was EXPENSIVE
- Were you homesick? - a little at first
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. - Oh my gosh...there was a mouse running around the dressing room and we were all screaming when we saw it! And then another one ran up this one girl's arm when she reached into her ballet bag!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? - Yeah, they were really different!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? - YES
- What was the best advice you received? - Use your rotator muscles in a pirrouette for more force
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? - They're way more contemporary
- What are some new things you have to work on? - Freeing my upper body
- What triumphs did you have? - I don't know....
- Were there special guest teachers? - I don't think so...
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? - YES! Partnering was AMAZING
- Did you get an injury? - Not a bad one
- Describe your favorite teacher. - He was really weird! hahaha
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? - Yeah we had dance history lectures every week

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? - Yes
- What was your piece like? - My group did Willing & Able and the Mazurka from Swan Lake
- Did your family and friends come? - My mom....

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? - How different ballet is in other places
- What disappointed you? - The lack of organization, class size and no one really improved
- What would you do differently if you could? - Be prepared for ANTHING
- What is your best memory? - My first partnering class hahaha
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? - I learned that you shouldn't judge your dancing with others' dancing
- Would you do another SI? - Definatley but NOT Joffrey!

Just a warning....the Joffrey audition is way better than the actual SI. I personally would not reccomend going to Joffrey NY.
By BlackTutux0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 770, member since Sat Dec 22, 2007
On Sat Aug 15, 2009 08:25 AM
Edited by BlackTutux0 (189623) on 2009-08-15 08:27:27
The Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts! :D

Getting ready:
- How old are you? - 14
- How long have you danced? - 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? - Ballet and modern!
The Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts, Torrington, Connecticut
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? - No!
- How did you get there? - Plane.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? - This was my 2nd intensive, but my first year at the Nutmeg.
- How long did you go for? - 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? - Technique, pointe, variations, repertoire (rehearsal for Jacob's Pillow/ End Performance), partnering, and stretch.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? - Ballet. :)
- Did you have a dress code? - Yes, Gaynor Minden cap-sleeve leotards in three colors which I love :).
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? - Yes.
- Did you know anyone? - Yes! I met my roommate on Facebook, and when she texted me saying I was her roommate I was so surprised! Actually, she's on DDN too hehe :D. And a few people from last summer were there toO!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? - DORMS!
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Nope! I just had to take the stairs upstairs or downstairs, or just to the right :).
- What was your roommate like? - Amazing! I had two, and we had such crazy fun times ahahaha :D.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? - Yes. There's wireless for iTouches too :).
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? - Definitely, I was so proud of my self aha.
- Did you make any new friends? - I love them! :)
- Did you decorate your room? - Yep! We put up a lot of pictures and posters.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? - Definitely spending time with your new friends, and oh since the classes are in the same building as the dorms, that was really convenient.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? - Seeing Harry Potter 6 :)!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? - Curfews, and you have to be in your room by 9:30, and you have to be out of the shower by 9:30 Mon.- Thurs. too.
- How was the food? - Sunday brunches were the best, Yum :D!
- Were you homesick? - Surprisingly, no.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. - I had crazy fun dorm neighbors, and we would talk to each other by knocking on each other's wall. And going to places like Stop 'N Shop with a big group of people. And just having sleepovers in the dorms, and watching videos on YouTube and hulu with friends :).

Class:
No, the syllabus was the same, the studios are GORGEOUS, and the faculty is really nice!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? - No.
- What was the best advice you received? - So many :P. Arms just go out for pique turns, just piiiirrrouette. Don't think about landing. And massaging your foot through the floor!

- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? - Some of the terms were different but nothing else really.
- What are some new things you have to work on? - Working on my feet, and fouettes on pointe!

- What triumphs did you have? - I feel stronger on pointe because we had between 3-6 hours of pointe a day! I have more confidence on doing variations and more complicated steps and turns- like fouettes on pointe.

- Were there special guest teachers? - YES :D! Kirk Peterson, and Mr. Parker.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? - Yes! :D Partnering was so much fun,it was one of my favorite classes.

- Did you get an injury? - Not really. Maybe just some tweaks and twerks.

- Describe your favorite teacher. - She was so free-spirited, and she gave really good personal corrections.

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? - We had theory class, with books and everything.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? - Yes! We performed at Jacob's Pillow on the outdoor stage, and an end of the summer performance in the beautiful Premiere studio.

- What was your piece like? - Tchaikovsky Polonaise, group piece to Eric Saati, Emeralds, Gold and Silver variation from Sleeping Beauty, and a variation from Paquita.
- Did your family and friends come? - My parents, but their plane arrived too late to watch the performance but it's okay.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? - How much pointe we had, and how challenged I was even though I was in the lowest level age-wise! They had us do fouettes on pointe the first day!

- What disappointed you? - I wish we had a little bit more down time, but it's okay. It was different than last summer, where we had more breaks so I wasn't used to that!

- What would you do differently if you could? - I'm not sure.

- What is your best memory? - Partnering class with Kirk Peterson!

- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? - That I can do more on pointe, I just need to breakout of being scared to do some steps.

- Would you do another SI? - Of course :)!

Nutmeg is really intense, and the classes are very much worth your money. Our schedule was:

Mon- Thurs: Ballet from 9:00AM-8:00PM
Fri: Ballet from 9:00AM-5:00PM
Sat: Ballet from 9:00AM-3:00PM

And be prepared for lots of pointe, and lots of things to take care of your feet :).
Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch