re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By sugerplumfairy Comments: 1164, member since Fri Nov 09, 2007
On Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:29 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? CA
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? almost eight years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and a teensy bit of ballroom
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) NYC, school of american ballet
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yup
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I went to abt austin last year, but never SAB
- How long did you go for? five weeks
- What were your daily classes? technique on pointe in the morning, and then either variations, toe, or adagio, once a week we had pilates and once a week we had ballroom
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? pretty much only ballet
- Did you have a dress code? pink tights, and whatever color leo we wanted
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? NOPE
- Did you know anyone? yes four other girl from my studio came with me, plus I knew a couple people from this sight

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? NOPE we just want in the elevator
- What was your roommate like? One was from Paris and one was from seattle. They both sometimes could be really annoying, but they were both nice
- Were you allowed to have a computer? I dont know I didnt bring mine, because we had computer access in the school
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I wish I had brought a little more of casual/formal clothes, and more pointe shoes
- Did you make any new friends? Yup
- Did you decorate your room? a little bit, not really though
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Well I lived in NYC so basically all I had to do was walk out and get on the subway and I could be anywhere I wanted to be, and besides just being in NY is so exciting
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? I loved shopping, but I did that on my own, I had a great time when we went to Six flags
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Curfew and lights out
- How was the food? It was okay, there wasnt that much that I like though
- Were you homesick? yes
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. umm getting on the train and going to soho, and walking around nyc

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? it was hard sometimes because it was so stictly balancine, but the teachers were AMAZING so that helped a lot
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Well i do balancine at home but it was so much harder here
- What was the best advice you received? I dont know
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? everything was super intense so we had to work a lot harder, the barres were shorter so the centers were longer, and the everything was compact so you got the most out of a class
- What are some new things you have to work on? EVERYTHING
- What triumphs did you have? umm doing consecutive doubles, and adagio
- Were there special guest teachers? well they were all NYCB dancers and I think everyone was AMAZING
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? ballroom
- Did you get an injury? yes, my tendons got inflamed
- Describe your favorite teacher. I cant choose I loved them all
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? no
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how amazing everyone was
- What disappointed you? learning how much I suck in comparison
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing
- What is your best memory? too many
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? learing more about balancine
- Would you do another SI? uh huh

I WOULD LOVE TO GO BACK TO SAB
By marykruk Comments: 3, member since Mon Feb 18, 2008
On Mon Aug 17, 2009 08:24 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? detroit, michigan
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? since i was 3
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, jazz, lyrical, tap, modern, hip hop
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) american ballet theatre summer intensive, detroit, usa
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yeahh live like 45-1 hour away
- How did you get there? drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? this was my first ever intensive.
- How long did you go for? a month!
- What were your daily classes? in the morning we had ballet tech. then pointe, then lunch, then 2 classes of either rehersal, pilates, yoga, jazz, improv, modern, or character.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mainly ballet.
- Did you have a dress code? black leo and pink tights mainly.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? sure did!
- Did you know anyone? no one! went totally alone.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms:)
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? noo not at all. we walked.
- What was your roommate like? she was very nice and we had no problemss.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? oh yes!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yeah, too many street clothes looking back.
- Did you make any new friends? holy jesus yes. a ton.
- Did you decorate your room? haha yes!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the lounge after class. we would just hang out with eachother and party and stuff. so fun. :)
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? probably the zoo.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? in your room by 9 :(
- How was the food? it was the wayne state cafeteria, and it was really goood but not that healthy.
- Were you homesick? for the first week. but after you get used to everything and meet people it flys by.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. just the whole dorms in general. be in your room by 9 meant prop your door open and sit in the hallway with your blanket. :)

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? some teachers, but it wasnt that bad.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? nope. pretty much the same.
- What was the best advice you received? alaine hubert gave one of the best pointe classes ever, where she explained every muscle and what muscles you were supposed to feel when doing different steps. it was amazingly helpful.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? the modern and jazz were alot different. but the ballet was relitivey the same.
- What are some new things you have to work on? using my inner thighs and keeping my weight in the balls of the feet for sure.
- What triumphs did you have? learning so much. understanding more.
- Were there special guest teachers? nope.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes! i had never done partnering before. so amazing!
- Did you get an injury? no:)
- Describe your favorite teacher. samm shelton. she was incredible. she really helps you develop a good relationship with all teachers, describes the steps incredibly well, and just is an amazing person.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? we watched movies in the dorms. and on saturdays we had lecture classes.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yep. at the detroit opera house!
- What was your piece like? one of them was coppelia, (dance of the hours), and the other was coreography. very cute, playful i guess.
- Did your family and friends come? ohh yes.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how i didnt want to leave at the end.
- What disappointed you? the modern class.
- What would you do differently if you could? no. haha
- What is your best memory? having class at the opera house stage and in the classes. unforgettable.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? im def more aware of what the teachers are saying and understand alot more about my body.
- Would you do another SI? yes. but only abt:)
Ballet Chicago Adv. Intensive
By yorkie_girl159member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 93, member since Fri Mar 03, 2006
On Sun Sep 27, 2009 04:29 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Dance Fremont in Seattle,WA
- How old are you? 16 years old
- How long have you danced? 7 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Pointe, Horton and Limon
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Ballet Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope.
- How did you get there? I flew American.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I had never done an intensive before Ballet Chicago.
- How long did you go for? I was there for 2 weeks
- What were your daily classes? We had ballet and pointe every day and then we had repertoire, modern and pilates alternating with one pas class (I was in the lowest level, the 2nd had pas 3x and the 3rd had it 5x)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Primarily Balanchine style ballet
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, for each class we had a different colored leotard we had to wear and it had to be either tank or camisole-they policed this strictly!
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, I needed less pairs than they recommended.
- Did you know anyone? I went with a friend from my studio but all of the girls there were very friendly, and hung out with everyone.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? I lived in the dorms at University Center.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? We walked 4 blocks, it was really close.
- What was your roommate like? I had 2 and they were previously friends but they were both super nice and we got along really well.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I took too many clothes and not enough leotards-because the schedule is very spaced out you don’t spend much time in regular clothes even though you are only dancing about 4.5 hours a day and laundry is only twice a week on Wednesday and Friday so it is hard to keep your leotards clean.
- Did you make any new friends? Many :)
- Did you decorate your room? I put up all of the pictures I’ve collected from PNB shows, Pointe magazine etc.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? The freedom was nice.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We went shopping a lot and the beach is pretty close which is super fun.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? You had to go to the computer lab or laundry with a chaperone and they designated times so it was a real hassle.
- How was the food? Actually, it was delicious. They had a lot of different options which was nice.
- Were you homesick? Not at all.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We walked downtown a lot (which takes like 20 mins each way) and often found ourselves running back with 10 or less minutes until curfew which was a thrill. But there are so many fun places around the city and there is always something to do.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? I have never been a turnout forcer and they really want a “perfect fifth” so my ankles hurt a lot but I got used to it. Also, they make you spot front which is hard to get accustomed to.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Yes, we don’t do Balanchine at Dance Fremont.
- What was the best advice you received? Basically anything out of Ms. Sheila Rozann’s mouth. She is a genius teacher and made all the classes fun and challenging. Plus, Ms. Sandra Jennings was an amazing teacher there, both gave great advice. I especially like Ms. Rozann’s corrections about upper body placement and they have helped my port de bras significantly.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? A lot more strict but if you can’t apply corrections they ignore you a lot. The teachers were good, corrections are applied physically without much verbal instruction so you really have to feel what’s happening to your body.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Forcing my turnout, the Balanchine hand (hehe), head positions, crossing my fifth.
- What triumphs did you have? The pas de deux class was really fun and I was actually better at it than I expected having had very little partnering experience before. The teacher helped us to work with the guys and show us tips on how to work well together.
- Were there special guest teachers? Ms. Jennings from the Balanchine trust taught us the ballet Walpurgisnacht which was fun, but challenging because she is used to working with professionals and many of the girls in our level were young, inexperienced and didn’t take her corrections well so she got frustrated often but she was an awesome mentor and helped me a lot with performing.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes, see above :)
- Did you get an injury? My ankles got irritated from forcing my turnout so severely but I iced them every night and then just modified it back in slightly when I returned to my home studio.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Ms. Rozann was hilarious. She would make the perfect Grandma and always ran around shouting “Bravo girls!” and “All the girls… TENDU ALA SECONDE!” She only accepted perfection but gave very helpful personal corrections that benefitted me greatly.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? We did a parent showing where we performed the ballet Walpurgisnacht by Balanchine, staged by Sandra Jennings of the Trust.
- What was your piece like? Our level did the finale which is the part known as “The Witching Hour” and it was pretty fast with a lot of echappes and sissones en pointe.
- Did your family and friends come? No because I’m from Seattle but surprisingly a lot of parents came from out of town, there wasn’t enough room for all of them.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The style was just very different and they judged me at the beginning because I didn’t force my turnout or spot front. They had a bias toward me for the rest of the time (especially Ms. Blair, the school’s director) but it was fine, I applied all the corrections and ultimately got better. Also, they have placement class on the 1st day. I had sprained my ankle severely between my audition and the placement class so I had lost a lot of my abilities after taking a break from dance but whatever, life goes on :)
- What disappointed you? I was in the lowest level with all the 12 year olds. Because they only had 3 levels and the highest was from like 17-29, they put the top 20 in the highest, next 20 in the middle and then everyone else in the lowest. I am not saying I should have been in the second level, but the ability range in level 1 was very broad. There were also a lot of competition dancers, most of whom were fairly talented but some that had very little ballet training and really brought down the level of the class. They didn’t have enough studios but there really should have been 4 levels. PLUS: They based a lot of the level 1 vs. 2 choice on whether or not you had a dancer body rather than skill so there were a lot of sticks in level 2 with little-no talent.
- What would you do differently if you could? I would have gone for 5 weeks.
- What is your best memory? The pas class, it was really fun. I was partnered with this guy Elliott who is really tall and when we did lifting it was really fun.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I need to work a lot harder.
- Would you do another SI? DEFINITELY. I don’t think I’ll go back next year because I am guessing they will still have a bias against me but I loved Chicago so I plan to audition for the Joffrey Intensive there.
By mauiballerina Comments: 110, member since Thu May 21, 2009
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 02:02 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Maui, HI
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 3 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (Carlisle, PA)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? Plane, obviously
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No and No
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2 technique classes, 1 pointe class, 1 more tech class (optional) and supplementals if you wanted
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Most levels had at least one required modern class a week, but my level (D4) had it potionally on friday night.
- Did you have a dress code? plain black leotard and pink tights (unless you are in the E levels)
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes (i brought 5 [airs and wore all of them)
- Did you know anyone? no

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? in the dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? yes. to the dining hall it was about a block and from there to the studios it was about 1/2 a mile, maybe more.
- What was your roommate like? my roomie was awesome!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? well, they didn't want you to, but many people (including me) did anyways. they didn't scold us or anything. but there wasn't any wifi in the dorms.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes my mom only left me with half of my clothes and even that was too much!
- Did you make any new friends? yes!
- Did you decorate your room? yup
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? It made me feel really independent
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? we went to hersheypark and to see harry potter 6. those were both really fun!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? lights out at 10:30
- How was the food? really yummy, but really fattening!
- Were you homesick? a little. i got sick during the 2nd week and my eardrum ruptured so i was really sad and lonely.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. well, massey's (frozen custard) was great fun. also, just walking to class was a crackup!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no, not at all. i felt right in place.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? well, it was a little more balanchine/chechetti than i am used to.
- What was the best advice you received? probably either about my arms or my core. i don't know.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? lots more jumping then i am used to (petite allegro wise)
- What are some new things you have to work on? adagio
- What triumphs did you have? i got more flexible and became a better turner.
- Were there special guest teachers? yes i had darla hoover (BAE), carrie imler and jon porretta (PNB).
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? my level didn't get to do partnering.
- Did you get an injury? :( yes i either got tendonitis or pulled my tendon in my hip
- Describe your favorite teacher. my favorite teacher was lazlo berdo. he was amazing and awesome and fun and so informative
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? lots of seminars

Performance:

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how high of a level i got put in
- What disappointed you? nothing
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing
- What is your best memory? too many to recall
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i feel more confident about my body and my dancing
- Would you do another SI? i will probably do this one again next year. if not, maybe NCSA or PNB

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...
By roomx7609 Comments: 230, member since Fri Apr 17, 2009
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Southeast, MI
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? Only 1 year total at the time of the intensive!
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, mostly, and then character, carribean, and also 2 mime classes.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Cecchetti Council of America Summer School-Holland, MI, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Sure have. My brother's highschool team competed there a few times for the state meet.
- How did you get there? A lovely car ride with my embarassing dad.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No; nope.
- How long did you go for? 2 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2-3 ballet technique classes, 1-2 character OR mime or carribean, and one rehearsal.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mostly ballet. That was about 4 hours of the day.
- Did you have a dress code? Any color leotard, but no skirts/legwarmers/sweaters. Also had to wear your tights INside your shoes (not rolled up)
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I'm not on pointe yet.
- Did you know anyone? I thought I was going to be alone, but then there were 2 girls from my studio there!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
Dorms! We stayed in Kollen Hall on the Hope College campus.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Nope. It was literally one block to the main building with 3 studios. However, sometimes we had specialty classes held within a 10-minute walk. Once we had a ballet class on the stage in the downtown theater!
- What was your roommate like?
Really boring and quiet, mostly. I thought she was 10 when I saw her. But she was 13. We had fun sometimes, but she'd always bring her dramatic friends in my room and they would mess with my stuff.
- Were you allowed to have a computer?
Yep, and cell phones, etc.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
I forgot a sweatshirt, jacket, and even though I brought all the leotards I own, I don't think I had enough. Also didn't have a formal dress for the banquet--I had to borrow, but their dress was totally gorgeous and fit like a glove.
- Did you make any new friends?
Yes! At first I couldn't make ANY friends and I was so sad and lonely...then at about the 2nd week, I made friends with awesome girls in my level who WEREN'T immature! Hooray!
- Did you decorate your room?
Hahahahahaha our hallway was decorated with cheesy teen magazine posters, but our room was decorated with crepe paper and my paintings and Flight of the Conchords posters.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
It was really cool to be on your own! I got ungodly homesick, but I felt really (stereotypically) grown up.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
Shopping!!! Downtown Holland is literally 2 blocks from our dorm and they have the cutest shops! They had this candy store that everyone was obsessed with...one girl spend $70 on candy.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? UGHH! We had to wear NAMETAGS 24/7! Anytime we left our room, we had to wear a pin-on nametag with our level on it--even during class...and we kept our meal cards in the plastic sleeve behind our name, and they'd always fly out during the grand allegro.
- How was the food? Surprisingly good! I'm vegetarian, and I had no trouble with options....but I wish there were more vegan choices. The few vegan protein sources were soymilk at breakfast only, hummus at lunch/dinner, and they had vegan patties once.
- Were you homesick? YES, YES, A MILLION TIMES YES!!! I called my mom crying 3x a day. I'm weirdly attached to my mom, and I was the ONLY one. Luckily we could use cell phones whenever we wanted (outside of class, of course).
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.
Imitating the thick Russian accent of the character teacher PERFECTLY... my friend was totally hilarious. One girl even spoke in a Russian accent the WHOLE camp--she's not Russian, either! She started on the 2nd day hahaha.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Some of the teachers I really didn't like, and they made me nervous and scared. My favorite studio room was called Dow 1, I loved it. It had 4 huuuuuge windows on the wall, and a nice floor that wasn't too sticky. Dow 2 was really small and I literally had a panic attack because there was the lethal combination of a teacher I hated, the ridiculous homesickness, my having to pee really badly, and the size of the room. Ach.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?
No, it was the Cecchetti method. I was familiar.
- What was the best advice you received?
Hmm...well, during mime class, the teacher told us the secret to looking good on stage is to smile with your eyes wide open and showing your top teeth. In ballet, a teacher gave me awesome advice--if you squeeze your buns during royales/chacotts, your legs will automatically beat. That was helpful. Another piece of great advice was during arabesques/posses/any time one leg is doing something different than the standing leg, use "cross-force," which is what he calls squeezing the muscles from the diagonal shoulder blades to the leg in arabesque. It squares you off, gets your leg higher, and makes you stronger and more flexible.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
The classes were much longer- 1.5 hours to my regular 1. Also, I'd never taken character, mime, carribean, or Feldenkrais.
- What are some new things you have to work on?
Pirouettes, chaines, posse turns. I'm hopeless.
- What triumphs did you have?
I got so fit there--after the intensive ended, I went up north with my family and went on a run one day. I could run for 30 minutes without stopping. I was amazed! I also picked up combinations SO much faster.
- Were there special guest teachers?
The mime and carribean teachers.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
Character, mime, carribean.
- Did you get an injury? :(
No, but I had super tight achilles tendons :(
- Describe your favorite teacher.
Kimmary Williams. She was great--but our level only had her once! Booo! She taught a class we had on the theater's stage downtown, which was really cool. We did great combinations that were really fun...and she wasn't strict or scary--she was energetic and funny!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?
One of the teacher's husband was a dance medicine doctor, and we saw one lecture from him.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Sure thing.
- What was your piece like? Our level did a character dance. Ugh.
- Did your family and friends come? My dad came. He picked me up from camp.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How strict ballet really is! I was almost kicked out of class for letting a yawn accidentally slip out. Oops.
- What disappointed you? The teachers weren't personal at all.
- What would you do differently if you could? Gone to sleep earlier. I was so tired all the time!
- What is your best memory? Anytime I was with my little group of friends.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I became so experienced, that my teacher (who is on the Ceccetti board so she was a guest at the camp) moved me to Grade 4 when I registered this year at the studio!
- Would you do another SI? I think I'll go back in 2010. When I was there I swore I would never go back because it was so hard. This year I will be much more experienced, and I'll pack more wisely.
By danceisabcsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 210, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 02:26 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Southern CA
- How old are you? 16 when i went away
- How long have you danced? 14 years (now)
- What types of dances do you study? ballet mainly, but have done modern, jazz, hip-hop, and danced team
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Ballet West/University of Utah Department of Ballet Summer Intensive
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes, i have family that live in Utah
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? just my studio's
- How long did you go for? 8 amazing weeks
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe/variations, then anything from: ballet elements, modern, jazz, irish, choreography, repertory, video, seminar, partnering for levels 2 and 3, African.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? the main focus was ballet
- Did you have a dress code? black leo, pink tights. but you could wear many other things for non technique classes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? too many
- Did you know anyone? just people i had met at the audition and online, but i was so close with my roommates

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? a 10 min bus ride then 2 min walk, or the 20 min walk
- What was your roommate like? amazing! my entire suite was so close!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yup
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? i guess so
- Did you make any new friends? many
- Did you decorate your room? well, do you count when it was tp-ed? haha no
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the independence!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? i think the last night (well, the 4 week one and 8 week one)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? everything seemed reasonable
- How was the food? ok... but pricey. almost everyone went to smiths and bought stuff so we didnt have to pay in the hc.
- Were you homesick? i missed my studio, but no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. oh where do i start? we tp-ed my suite mates room for her birthday, it involved stealing her mattress and putting it into one of the lounges. or our late night wendys runs. or making fun of the cheerleaders. or the song hip-swing. or sandstorm. i cant decide!! haha

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received? about my alignment in 5th position, to perform everything, and holding my upper body
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? my studio is a mixture, and so was this. it felt a bit more russian at times, but i really liked it
- What are some new things you have to work on? my alignment in 5th position, to perform everything, and holding my upper body
- What triumphs did you have? getting personal corrections from peter christe, and doing many triples in his presence
- Were there special guest teachers? company dancers from ballet west
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? i had never done african before!
- Did you get an injury? :( i got a really bad bug bite that turned dark red and swelled like crazy, and a bit of tendinitis, but not really.
- Describe your favorite teacher. either Sharee or Peter. i loved both for totally different reasons
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? 2 days a week there was movie seminars and 2 other days were different seminars (music, lectures, make up, hair...)

Performance:

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much freedom we allowed
- What disappointed you? not getting to do partnering
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing, maybe work even harder
- What is your best memory? anytime with my roomies
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? the idea that it is more than just class, you should treat it like a performance.
- Would you do another SI? yes. i might go to nyc/spain/italy this summer but if i have time im doing another one, or going back to ballet west
By BalletDancer97 Comments: 3, member since Mon Dec 07, 2009
On Tue Dec 08, 2009 08:11 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? NC, Charlotte!
- How old are you? 12
- How long have you danced? 4ever! Since I was 3.
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Modern, Ballet!
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)The Joffrey Ballet School in New York!!!!!
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes I lived there since i was a baby!
- How did you get there? Car all the way!
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No & No my very fist summer program! :)
- How long did you go for? 7 LONG weeks!
- What were your daily classes? 2ballet classes plus pointe, modern. And more...
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet mostly.
- Did you have a dress code? Black leo and pink tight nothing strange!
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? No and yes I bought new shoes when i got there!
- Did you know anyone? Now one no a single living dancer!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Loft
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 20 mins
- What was your roommate like? Fun ( mom )
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Totally!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Well i think.
- Did you make any new friends? 6 all in different states.
- Did you decorate your room? Yep with all my clothes!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? No rules. But dorming would have been fun!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? N/A
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?N/A
- How was the food? Fantastic
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. HAHAHAHA MY BFF's were getting Ice cream before class and we started laughing that I cryed and almost killed myself!!!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A Bit almost all Russian teachers for Baller
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?UUUM I DON"T KNOW!
- What was the best advice you received? Advice about my hip.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? No time to thing just do it was great!
- What are some new things you have to work on? Fouttes
- What triumphs did you have? Almost ever thing but turns and jumps on pointe.
- Were there special guest teachers? We had a whole guest faculty!
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes!!!!
- Did you get an injury? Yes. My knee. I could not dance four a day!
- Describe your favorite teacher. ( we had this oerson almost ever class!)MODERN TEACHER WAS THE BEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!!!!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We had dance history and nutrition.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? YES! It was so fun! all the make-up and costumes!
- What was your piece like? Willing and able. so fun.
- Did your family and friends come? My dad and mom and my friend.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much I learned
- What disappointed you? Not very organized. I have to move 2 a different studio just before I was about to take class. And I did not know anyone it was terrible.
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing.
- What is your best memory? Going to All the abt ballet and laughing my HEAD OFF with my friends!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? It's the world.
- Would you do another SI? Totally! I was tihnking about CPYB or NCDT up in NY. Or ABT!!!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... Well.. I met George De la.... Somthing! and he Liked me I tihnk!!!!
By mrr Comments: 37, member since Tue Dec 15, 2009
On Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 PM
what level were you in?
By daisycheekz Comments: 4, member since Fri Jan 01, 2010
On Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New York
- How old are you? 15 (14 at the time)
- How long have you danced? Since I was 4, but only seriously for 3 years.
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Modern, Lyrical, Jazz, Hip Hop
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Desales SI in Pennslyvania
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes
- How did you get there? Car.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No and Nope!
- How long did you go for? 2 weeks :)
- What were your daily classes? It switched everyday, but usually in the AM we woud have condition (pilates/yoga), improv, ballet, jazz, pointe, then lunch then modern, and rehersals. At night after dinner we had more rehersals.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?
Ballet, Modern, kind of jazz
- Did you have a dress code? Nothing too strict, only needed hair back in a bun for ballet. They didn't care about form fitting warmups
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yup
- Did you know anyone? Yup.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? About 5-10 minute walk
- What was your roommate like? Mean ;[
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yup, in the cafe.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Too much street clothing :)
- Did you make any new friends? Yup! I made about 5 or 6.
- Did you decorate your room? Not really.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Meeting new people!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Shopping in an outdoor mall & seeing a movie!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Lights out at 10:30 :/
- How was the food? Okay.
- Were you homesick? Yeah, kinda.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. When we went to Dorney Park, going on the roller coaster for the first time! ;) dance parties in the hallways. watching centerstage in one bed.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?A little bit actually, mostly with one teacher who was the harshest. She was a cechetti style teacher, and i wasn't used to that.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Yes mentioned above
- What was the best advice you received? Advice about body placement.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? The teachers were defintely better - i've gotta say! The jazz teacher was crazy though!
- What are some new things you have to work on? Letting loose in modern
- What triumphs did you have? Getting a solid triple on flat :)
- Were there special guest teachers? Sort of? But they taught more than once.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no partnering:[ We partnered a little in a piece. We did African Dancing though! and Swing.
- Did you get an injury? Nope, others did though.
- Describe your favorite teacher. ( we had this oerson almost ever class!)One of hte modern/improv teachers was AMAZING! she was so inspiring - her name was tara.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We had movies, and a lecture on injury prevention and how to do proper stretches etc.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? An informal presentation of about 6 pieces.
- What was your piece like? I was in a Cont. Ballet piece, a modern piece, an african piece and another modern piece. I loved them all!
- Did your family and friends come? My parents and sister.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much I learned
- What disappointed you? How mean some girls were - they were really cruel and made fun of a lot of people! I never actually met anyone that outright mean!
- What would you do differently if you could? Ignore the mean girls and focus on dancing.
- What is your best memory? Everything!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? To alwalys work harder than the last day!
- Would you do another SI? Yes! I"m audition for Peridance, AAB & Egleskvy's summer intensive this year!
NO AUDITIONS! Not even a headshot! just fill in the application.
By JuliaRose Comments: 46, member since Wed Jan 14, 2009
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 01:46 PM
Hi!

I'm very interested in going to Ballet West this summer, and I'm trying out in a month-ish.

Would you consider this a hard/easy/medium program to get into?
By Cissi Comments: 16, member since Tue Jun 29, 2010
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:51 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Germany
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? I started gymnastics - one year child's dance when I was 8 and from then on just for myself
- What types of dances do you study? plan to study jazz next year
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Germany, Stuttgart
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I live right 'next' to it
- How did you get there? Train & Bus
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No
- How long did you go for? 6 days
- What were your daily classes? jazz - warm up, acting, singing, musical repertory, choreography, rehearsals
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily singing
- Did you have a dress code? only for the final show - black
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? didn't need any
- Did you know anyone? I went there with 4 friends

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? At home
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? From home about an hour
- What was your roommate like? myself ;)
- Were you allowed to have a computer? home
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? just my everyday bags
- Did you make any new friends? loads
- Did you decorate your room? home
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? was at home
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? -
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? -
- How was the food? we had to bring ours ..
- Were you homesick? no ;)
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. sitting on the rothebuehl-platz in dancinggear, having the strangers watching us was pretty fun

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? -
- What was the best advice you received? tension :)
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? -
- What are some new things you have to work on? getting rid of the 'ballet-stiffness'
- What triumphs did you have? first-row dancer
- Were there special guest teachers? all of them were from Hamburg
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Singing while dancing and acting, backing a song
- Did you get an injury? blue-red-brown knees
- Describe your favorite teacher. She taught jazz and did the warm up class - young, former ballet-studio-owner and a lovely but really critical person that made me sweat loads
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? -

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? difficult - we were 80 people and had to do 2 songs together having everyone on stage
- Did your family and friends come? yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? really school-like
- What disappointed you? not enough corrections on my technique and performance
- What would you do differently if you could? try even harder
- What is your best memory? the dressing rooms :) and thefeeling being part of a show
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i have to work a lot, but im positive about becomng a respectable dancer
- Would you do another SI? I'll start at the end of august, doing the same one again
By enpointe2347 Comments: 20, member since Sun May 02, 2010
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 05:41 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Ohio
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? on and off for about 12 years but i've been taking it serioulsy for 4 or 5 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Conemporary
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Cincinnati Ballet Intensive in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes but not for this intensive
- How did you get there? my parents drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, but only at my home studio, so no i have never been to this one before
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Pointe, Variations or partnering, and either modern, jazz, pilates, or hip hop
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? the main focus was ballet but there was also modern, jazz, pilates, and hip hop
- Did you have a dress code? for ballet and pointe- black leo and pink tights, and we could wear skirts for variations and pretty much whatever we wanted for the other classes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yeah i only needed two pairs
- Did you know anyone? yeah there were two other girls from my studio

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms at the University of Cincinnati
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No
- What was your roommate like? um... let's just say she wasn't my favorite person in the world but we got along okay haha
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes, but I didn't
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes, though I probably packed too many street clothes
- Did you make any new friends? yes :)
- Did you decorate your room? kind of- i brought some bright pillows and blankets from home and put up a poster
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? the freedom/ independance and being able to hang out with my freinds every night
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? King's Island:)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? we couldn't go anywhere withput a chaperone- even to the pool which was next door, but overall it was pretty relaxed and we had alot of freedom
- How was the food? pretty good.I got pretty tired of the choices by the end of it, though. I ate a lot of salads and cereal lol
- Were you homesick? not really. just a little bit in the last week
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. we basically just hung out and listened to music and watched you tube videos and goofed around a lot. we had a TON of inside jokes by the end:) one day the RA set up a scavenger hunt for us and we ran around the whole dorm building acting obnoxious lol

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? a little bit at first, it was just differant than what i was used to but i adjusted pretty quickly
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? the teachers at my studio all use differant methods, so i've been exposed to a little bit of everything already. the only thing i wasn't accostomed to was that they forced your turnout more there than at my home studio
- What was the best advice you received?im not really sure- i got a lot of good advice and wrote it all down:)
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? nothing really stands out except that there was more focus on pushing the turnout
- What are some new things you have to work on? relaxing my shoulders (I've actually always had that problem :/), utilizing turnout more and holding it
- What triumphs did you have? my extensions are getting higher, I've gained alot of strength and confidence, and one of the variations teachers said i did the best at using expression in my dancing:)
- Were there special guest teachers? yes- Deidre Carberry and Devon Carney
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? I already take partnering at my studio, but i tried some new things:) and i tried hip hop for the first time, which was fun
- Did you get an injury? no :)
- Describe your favorite teacher. her class was challenging and she had a lot of energy:) she was picky but not harsh about it, she was really constructive and gave good, clear advice
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? not in the evenings, but we had a couple of dance history lectures

Performance:
- What was your piece like? didn't do one
- Did your family and friends come? there was nothing to come to

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? um.... i don't know
- What disappointed you? pointe was kind of easy
- What would you do differently if you could? nothing that i can think of
- What is your best memory? so many! :)
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? it's all in your mind- if you tell yourself you can't do it you never can, so try your hardest and beleive in your ability!
- Would you do another SI? absolutely! but i want to try somewhere else next year
By dancetutuhard Comments: 161, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Fri Jul 23, 2010 05:18 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Charlotte North Carolina
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 6 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, modern, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)UNCSA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- How did you get there? car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes- Boston Ballet SDP Newton. I been to the campus and taken clsses, but i've never been to the intensive
- What were your daily classes? tech and pointe everyday,rep 3x a week modern, jazz, character, music and motion 2x a week, and dance wellness once a week
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? see above
- Did you have a dress code? SOLID black leotard with pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? i went with one pair and two on back order, but they didn't get there until the 3rd week so i got another pair
- Did you know anyone? no

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? not at all
- What was your roommate like? i had a single, but my hall was amazing!! gotta love band camp
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes and there's a computer lab
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? i packed too many nice everyday clothes
- Did you make any new friends? yes!!!!
- Did you decorate your room? yes and we decorated for birthdays
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? freedom and hanging out with friends 24/7
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? tie-dye and just hanging out
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? signing in and out every time i left campus
- How was the food? okay
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. so many... quelf, cards, balloons, band camp

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no there were just a few details that were different
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? not really
- What was the best advice you received? i don't really remeber anything that stood out more than anything else
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? the barre is shorter and pointe is 1.5 hours
- What are some new things you have to work on? little things here and there like holing turnout
- What triumphs did you have? i did a quadruple piroette en pointe
- Were there special guest teachers? not really
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Did you get an injury? no, just soreness
- Describe your favorite teacher. i don't know. i liked them all, but they were all different
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yeah, we had dance wellness and music and motion

Performance:
- What was your piece like? i loved our rep piece, it was kinda balanchine ish, but i didn't like out jazz dance because it was easy and really repetitive
- Did your family and friends come? my parents, sister, and grandparents did

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much fun i had
- What disappointed you? the range of talent and size of my class
- What would you do differently if you could? pack more
- What is your best memory? comeing off stage after our rep dance beaming because of how much applause we got
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
- Would you do another SI? yes

By hpballerina12 Comments: 80, member since Thu Feb 11, 2010
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?: Connecticut
- How old are you?: 16
- How long have you danced?: 13 years
- What types of dances do you study?: ballet, pointe, jazz, hip-hop, and modern

I did two programs, so I'll do the questions for each one.

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.): American Academy of Ballet at SUNY Purchase College in New York
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?: Yes
- How did you get there?: drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?: Yes, I have attended this program twice before.
- How long did you go for?: one week
- What were your daily classes?: all ballet. We had an hour of barre in the morning and then half hour sessions of adagio, petit allegro, grand allegro, etc. We also learned two routines for a little performance at the end of the week.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was only ballet, with some body conditioning classes as well.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes. Always pink tights, black leos on Mon Tues Thurs and Pastel on Wed. For the performance we wore both black and pastel leos.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yep
- Did you know anyone? Yea, there were quite a few people from my studio that went.

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? it was a 10 min walk on the college campus.
- What was your roommate like? She's a friend from home, so we knew each other pretty well.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? I believe some people brought them.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes
- Did you make any new friends? A few.
- Did you decorate your room? I had a few pictures, but other than that no. We aren't really supposed to decorate our rooms and put stuff on the walls.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Spending time with my awesome roommate! And in general, being more independent.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Well, there was a dance shop that came to us so that was fun. Other than that, we just hung out in our rooms. There were planned activities but I was really tired so I didn't go.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Lights out at 9:45.
- How was the food? pretty good.
- Were you homesick? nope.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. well, it was with my friends from my studio, but early on in the week, we all played cards in our rooms and ate a lot of food. It was fun.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really, because I've had most of the teachers there already in past years so I knew what to expect.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No. I study a mixture of methods and so I was able to adapt to pretty much anything they wanted me to do.
- What was the best advice you received? Lots of pirouette tips!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? There are pianists rather than the recorded music we had at home. That was the biggest difference.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Holding my turnout. We learned a lot of different exercises for that.
- What triumphs did you have? I got really strong in such a short amount of time! after day one I felt really good.
- Were there special guest teachers? Not the week I was there :(
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No. :(
- Did you get an injury? Nothing new (I have a knee injury that really flared up but nothing new, thank goodness)
- Describe your favorite teacher. My favorite teacher was very good about correcting us by using her hands. She did a lot of exercises focusing on turnout and explained everything in a way that just clicked with me. Her classes were really fun too.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No, but I know if you stay longer there are.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes.
- What was your piece like? One piece was done with the whole class. Our other piece, we were split into smaller groups. Ours was a spanish dance and I got to use a fan, which was a lot of fun!
- Did your family and friends come? Yes.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Nothing really surprised me besides the fact that the injury that hasn't bothered me in a while flared up really bad.
- What disappointed you? The injury, but nothing other than that!
- What would you do differently if you could? Do more cross training before I went to keep my stamina up.
- What is your best memory? Nailing my routines in the performance, even the Italian fouettes that were giving me trouble.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I think I understand turnout a lot more and I can feel when it's not working and when it is.
- Would you do another SI? Absolutely!

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.): the rock school in PA
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, I've been to an intensive but not this program.
- What were your daily classes? we had an hour and a half technique class followed by an hour of pointe, and once a week that pointe class was replaced with jazz. After lunch we had another hour and a half technique class.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Primarily ballet, we also had jazz occasionally
- Did you have a dress code? any colored leo and pink tights. They were very lenient and I saw a lot of different leos!
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yep
- Did you know anyone? No.

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? we had to take a bus.
- What was your roommate like? I was in a suite. 3 of them were really nice and the other two girls I didn't really talk to...:(
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yep
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? mostly.
- Did you make any new friends? yes!
- Did you decorate your room? yep. I had pictures and some positive, inspiring quotes on the walls.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? being independent. I love controlling what I do. : )
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? There was a lot to do. We had access to a library, swimming pool, movie nights, the mall, computers, fitness center, and lots of other things. My favorite was t-shirt night, where we all made shirts and had people sign them and stuff.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? there weren't a whole lot of rules so I didn't really have a least favorite.
- How was the food? ok. hard to eat healthy because at the dorms it's dorm food, but the food at the rock school was really good.
- Were you homesick? nope.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We stayed up late one night and played cards and just talked. a lot of laughing and eating with some fun people made for a great time!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Some teachers wanted things one way but some wanted them a different way. That was a little difficult.
- What was the best advice you received? To dance from your heart and because you love it, and not to get so caught up in the steps and technical part of it all the time.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Variety of teachers makes for some interesting and different classes! nothing was extremely different besides having pianists rather than recorded music.
- What are some new things you have to work on? once again, holding my turnout and focusing on polishing the little things, because then the bigger movements will become cleaner. and pirouettes.
- What triumphs did you have? I got some very nice compliments from some of the teachers which made me very happy. I also got a lot of corrections that I was grateful for.
- Were there special guest teachers? yes. Daniel Ulbricht from NYCB came.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No, I was one level short of being able to partner :(
- Did you get an injury? nothing new, and the injuries I already had didn't flare up.
- Describe your favorite teacher. She was all about dancing from the heart and feeling the music. The technique was a big part of class, but she wanted you to really dance it.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes, we had lectures on physical therapy and nutrition during lunch some days.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No, if you stay for 6 weeks there is one though.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? that we only had 3 classes a day. At past programs, I did 4 or 5 classes a day, but the training at the Rock was very high quality so that made up for it.
- What disappointed you? the bus ride. It got to be really long, much longer than the 30 min it was supposed to take! but that's the only thing I was really disappointed about.
- What would you do differently if you could? Try and be more outgoing.
- What is your best memory? Being asked to demonstrate by the directors. It made me feel really good about myself, which doesn't happen often
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Working on the little things and getting my barre work really clean, so that when I move into center and onto harder things, it's easier. And learning to breathe and just dancing it sometimes.
- Would you do another SI? Absolutely!!!!!!
By madisenz Comments: 46, member since Mon May 24, 2010
On Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:37 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Vancouver, Canada
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 1.5 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? Parksville, BC.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope
- How did you get there? Ferry/car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? This was my first intensive
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Modern, Stretch/Choreography, Ballet, Jazz
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was primarily ballet. Stretch/Choreography was contemporary ballet and ballet class was classical.
- Did you have a dress code? Nope
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I'm not en pointe, but there wasn't very much pointe work done even in the senior class because the teacher wanted to focus more on posture and what to work, etc.
- Did you know anyone? Nope.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Host Family
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It was a 5min drive
- What was your roommate like? The host family billeted 4 girls so there was 5 dancers in total, they were all pretty mean! So I kept to myself after the dancing was over and just read in the room.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes, thankfully I came home on the weekends so I didn't have to worry too much about not having something.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes in dance!
- Did you decorate your room? Nope
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Not really anything. It wasn't that great of a billet family.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? I didn't do anything like this.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Well I had to do dishes.
- How was the food? Not very good. There was always dog hair in it.
- Were you homesick? After dance, yes. During, nope.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. There were a lot! But I guess even though it was a dancing time we went in early to the studio and put on glee and danced and lip synced to it.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Nope!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Nope!
- What was the best advice you received? Oh so much! I couldn't ever write down everything but since I'm pretty tall I have to really pull out of my back, which is kind of hard for me.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? At my old studio we didn't really do much choreography so it was hard to remember the combinations but I had a lot more confidence at the end of the 3 weeks.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Pulling out, working my adducteurs, stacking bones, pushing into the floor with legs but pulling up out of my back.
- What triumphs did you have? Jazz breakthrough on the last day (usually i'm pretty flowy), picking up the choreography on the first try almost perfectly. Lots of other stuff!
- Were there special guest teachers? The teachers were all fantastic! Not maybe the most recognized names but if you saw their bios.... OMG.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Choreography and modern (she says i was a natural!)
- Did you get an injury? :( Nope!
- Describe your favorite teacher. Modern teacher, Joelle. Very down to earth and spiritual and calm but easily excited when you do something awesome!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Nope.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No, but there was parent watch day.
- What was your piece like? I made up an adage in ballet on the spot
- Did your family and friends come? My dad watched my ballet and jazz class

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much I learned and how hard ballet really is. How much I don't know.
- What disappointed you? the billet family.
- What would you do differently if you could? Different billet family.
- What is your best memory? dancing all day!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? How hard you have to work, how important passion is and to realize that hard work is everything.
- Would you do another SI? YES.
By cecchettigirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 58, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 03:44 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Michigan
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 12 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary, Tap, Musical Theater, Hip Hop, Character
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Cecchetti International Summer School in Holland, MI
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Not the town, but I live in the state.
- How did you get there? By car.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Neither, this was my first one.
- How long did you go for? 2 weeks.
- What were your daily classes? Two ballet technique classes, an extra class, and a performance rehearsal.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Our extra class could be modern, jazz, character, stretch & relax, or rhythmic motions.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, any solid colored leotard and pink tights tucked into your pink ballet shoes. Guys had to wear white shirts and black tights, with black or white technique shoes. We weren't allowed to have any warmups, like sweaters, skirts, or leggings.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, I had one pair of almost new shoes, and they're pretty much dead now.
- Did you know anyone? For awhile I thought that I was going to be the only one from my studio, three other girls ended up going. (:

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms!
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Depends on where the class was. If your class was in the Dow Center (there are three nice studios there) then it was a five minute walk. Class on the stage at the Knickerbocker Theater meant ten, and in the DeVos was fifteen.
- What was your roommate like? She is one of my best friends, it was awesome.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but not many people brought theirs as it was hard to get someone who knew the password for wifi.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes! I thought I was overpacking but I used pretty much everything that I brought.
- Did you make any new friends? A ton. Everyone was super nice.
- Did you decorate your room? With christmas lights, posters, colored paper, and cutouts from magazines.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being with your friends 24-7 and being independent.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? The karaoke party was definitely really fun, we ended up dancing more than actually karaoke. Walking into town for some shopping was also fun.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Lights out by 10:30. It was a drag to have to pretend to go to sleep. Also, we weren't supposed to use cell phones after 10 pm.
- How was the food? Awesome. There was always a great salad bar, which I used often, because I love salad and I usually eat healthy. Good pasta and meatless marinara was also always available.
- Were you homesick? Never (:
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. A huge apples-to-apples tournament, a "storm party" in the hallway, doing gymnastics up and down the hallways

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Nope!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No, we study cecchetti and vaganova at my studio.
- What was the best advice you received? There was so many, I can't choose!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Nothing was different, all very comfortable.
- What are some new things you have to work on? More turn out.
- What triumphs did you have? I had a special part in our end performance, and it was really fun to work on.
- Were there special guest teachers? A few, all great teachers and really nice.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering I had never partnered before, and I feel totally comfortable partnering now. We had one pas de deux class and it was very informative and I learned a lot. Also, pretty much my whole part in the piece was partnering, and my partner was great.
- Did you get an injury? My right calf muscle is strained from overuse, but that's about it.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Lynn Tabor is a great one. Her combinations are easy to gget, which lets you focus on technique and her corrections. Addison O'Day teaches at my studio, but he was still one of my favorites. Dawnell Dryja was our choreographer, which meant we had her at least once a day. She was an awesome teacher. They're all amazing!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? None

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, about an hour long. Each level (A, B, B-2, C, C-2, C-3, and D) each performed a six-seven minute piec, and there was some talking at the beginning by the council.
- What was your piece like? It was very persian/oriental. The choreography was very good and I had a good part.
- Did your family and friends come? My parents and one of my grandmothers came.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How tired and sore I was.
- What disappointed you? Absolutely nothing.
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing!
- What is your best memory? It was all amazing.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Ballet really does help all forms of dance. I also gained some confidence in my dancing.
- Would you do another SI? DEFINITELY. This was one of the best two weeks I have ever spent.

Overall, CCA was amazing, inspiring, and really helped my ballet technique and overall performance as a dancer. I would recommend anyone of any level to attend.
By balletgurl03member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 219, member since Sat Jan 20, 2007
On Sat Jul 31, 2010 06:32 PM
Edited by balletgurl03 (172669) on 2010-07-31 18:33:12
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Indianapolis, IN
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 11 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, pointe, modern, jazz, variations, partnering
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Atlanta Ballet!
- How did you get there? We drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, but not this one
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, pointe, jazz, musical theatre, modern, sometims partnering and variations
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet focus, but we did a fair amount of modern and jazz
- Did you have a dress code? For ballet we had to wear the black Atlanta Ballet leos, but we could wear whatever we wanted for modern/jazz
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, 4 pairs
- Did you know anyone? Well, I found out someone was going ther after I got there

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? We walked to the studios. It was only about 10-15 minutes
- What was your roommate like? She was nice, but I didn't see her much
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but finding Wifi was difficult
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Suprisingly yes
- Did you make any new friends? Oh yeah
- Did you decorate your room? A but with pictures. But the dorms were pretty bland without any decoration
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? The freedom
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Atlantic Station was fun, and the Mall and Baseball games were good, too.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? We had to in the building by 9, and in our rooms at 10
- How was the food? It was pretty good if you weren't picky.
- Were you homesick? No
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Haha, our fun sleepovers and chasing down boys at Atlnatic Station and sneaking out of our rooms at night...

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really. The teachers were different, but it wasn't hard to adjust.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? To try your hardest even in class, and finish every step.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? I'm used to a faster class; a faster pace. Some of the teachers really take the time to explain things.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Finishing all steps and holding my arms and back
- What triumphs did you have? My role in the show; I got a small solo in our ballet piece
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Musical theatre was new to me, but it really just felt like a jazz class.
- Did you get an injury? No
- Describe your favorite teacher. Llyod Whitmore, the modern teacher. He was hilarious!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes. A girl named Sebahle form South Africa came to Atlanta, and she was in my level. HBO did a documentary on her, and we went to a screening ofthat one night.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes
- What was your piece like? My ballet piece was contemporary, and I also did a jazzy modern piece and a musical theatre piece
- Did your family and friends come? My mom came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How well the intensive went
- What disappointed you? The lack of organization among the chaperones
- What would you do differently if you could? Try harder every class
- What is your best memory? The performance
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? To focus in on every detail
- Would you do another SI? Of course
By BlackTutux0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 770, member since Sat Dec 22, 2007
On Sun Aug 01, 2010 08:38 PM
Edited by BlackTutux0 (189623) on 2010-08-01 20:41:47
Edited by BlackTutux0 (189623) on 2010-08-01 20:42:12
Edited by BlackTutux0 (189623) on 2010-08-01 20:46:02
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? The "Mitten" of the USA

- How old are you? 15

- How long have you danced? Serious ballet since I was eight.

- What types of dances do you study? Ballet :)

- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)
The Kirov Academy of Ballet of Washington, D.C.

- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope, not for ballet!

- How did you get there? Car.

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Boston Ballet Newton, and the Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts. But not Kirov!

- How long did you go for? 3 weeks!

- What were your daily classes? Technique for three hours, pointe changed on a daily basis, either contemporary/character/flamenco, pilates/stretch and relax/mime, nutrition/music appreciation/watching ballet/special topics

- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet, but also flamenco, character, and contemporary.

- Did you have a dress code? Black leotard, pink tights, and flat shoes with ribbons.

- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Definitely.

- Did you know anyone? Yep! Four other people from my studio.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? 13&under stayed at the Kirov. 14&up stayed at the frat houses at the University of Maryland.

- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 20 minute bus ride.

- What was your roommate like? She was nice, and she was really considerate!

- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, next year I will if I end up going again. (Definitely if I decide to go to an intensive next year!)

- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes. I guess it's just experience with packing for SI's for the last three years.

- Did you make any new friends? Si!

- Did you decorate your room? Pictures, a poster, and a calender.

- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? My really good friend there lived in the room next to me, so we would hang out a lot! Also going downtown D.C. on Sundays was a lot of fun.

- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? The International Spy Museum, China Town, museums, shopping at Pentagon City, and OH! Sombrero decorating night at the dorms! :D

- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I don't really have one, probably the most lenient intensive I've been to. At least for my age group, the security and rules for kids who are staying at the Kirov are pretty tight I heard.

- How was the food? Great! Best dorm food by far.

- Were you homesick? Just for my family and friends at home, but not severely!

- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We made an impromptu music video once, oh goodness. Getting on the metro in D.C. Oh, and the interactive exhibit at the International Spy Museum! Just hanging out in general. :)

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Studio floor and air-conditioned studios (I really miss this luxury) was hard to get used to at first, but not the method. Classes were a lot like the classes at my home studio. I loved my teacher!

- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not at all, go Vaganova! :D

- What was the best advice you received? Turn with your hips, plie on both knees for pirouettes, head leads you in port de bras, and heel down for fouettes! I can think of a ton more!

- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Not at all...My teachers graduated from the Kirov so it was like the same basically.

- What are some new things you have to work on? Pirouettes, fouettes, and turns in general. :)

- What triumphs did you have? Pirouettes improved in three weeks, and overall I feel like my arms improved. I wish I could've stayed for six weeks!

- Were there special guest teachers? No! Although Diana Vishneva from ABT showed up one day after class, if that counts! Hehehe.

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Flamenco :)! Loved it. Also Stretch and Relax, shavasna was amazing! ;)

- Did you get an injury? No.

- Describe your favorite teacher. Favorite teacher was our main ballet teacher we had for technique, she was amazing! She was the kind of teacher who motivated you to work harder and harder everyday, and also to learn and correct quickly from what she says.

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Monday through Friday, every morning we had a lecture or a movie in the classroom.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Demonstration Day for parents in the end of Session One. For Session Two, they got a performance but I didn't stay :(.

- What was your piece like? We did the variation we learned. A Paquita variation!

- Did your family and friends come? My family did!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How intense Kirov was, but also how much I liked three hours of technique everyday. It was the favorite class of my day!

- What disappointed you? Contemporary, just because all we did in 5/6 classes was add on and work on an almost four minute dance. Nevertheless, he taught me to express myself more.

- What would you do differently if you could? Stay for Session Two. :P

- What is your best memory? Too many to choose from :)

- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That I need to listen to my teachers more and adapt to their corrections faster and more efficiently.

- Would you do another SI? Of course, and I would choose to go back to Kirov in a heartbeat!
By dancethemomentX7 Comments: 144, member since Sun Mar 09, 2008
On Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:56 PM
Edited by dancethemomentX7 (193199) on 2010-08-17 13:04:31
ABT Austin
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? midwest
- How old are you? Mid teens
- How long have you danced? Since I was three
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, jazz, contemporary, modern. I compete.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) abt Austin, in austin texas, usa
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? nope
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, hope college; no
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes?ballet 9-10:45,pointe or sometimes partnering 11-12, choreography and repertoire 1:30-5
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mostly ballet, with some modern, hip hop, yoga and pilates
- Did you have a dress code? Yes it was lame, black leos mon,wed,fri. maroon tues. navy thurs. you couldn't wear halters!
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes I brought two deadish pairs and 3 new
- Did you know anyone? nope!

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? not too far like a 10 min walk average. You went With your whole group, walking
- What was your roommate like? Really nice, I was lucky to have her
- Were you allowed to have a computer? If you had a personal laptop, yes, I didn¡¦t but I sometimes used my roomates
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes pretty much
- Did you make any new friends? Well yes I did!
- Did you decorate your room? Yeah! There was a huge bulletin board so we tacked pictures and stuff on them. My roommates mom sent these sweet mini lanterns that we hung up.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being able to be with your friends a lot
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Shopping, and they had abt's best dance crew which was cool
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Being on your floor at 9. The mentors were psycho about enforcing that. Also some mentors told you to change if they thought what you were wearing was inappropriate, but there was no dress code besides dance clothes. Like once I was told to change out of my dance shorts because they were too tight. They are dance shorts!
- How was the food? Not too bad, but how they put money on your mealcard was confusing
- Were you homesick? I missed home and my friends but I wasn't homesick
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. umm Parties in our dorm room defintiely. fun times (:

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really?
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? It was somewhat similar
- What was the best advice you received? I got corrections on lots of random things but one teacher helped me use the floor to utilize my turnout
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Just more strict and intense I guess.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Same stuff I always have to work on
- What triumphs did you have? Getting a "very good job" in the musical theater class. I was like yesss!
- Were there special guest teachers? No I guess, all the ballet teachers danced with ABT
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? There was partnering but I had done that before
- Did you get an injury? No, just chronic issues. But my ankles started bothering me near the end but not too bad.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Miss spizzo was just amazing, and I really liked Larry Pech and Roger Van fleteren.
There were optional dance movies sometimes, a nutrition and injury lesson, and a meet the artist class where we listened to wes chapman talk about his dance career, which was very interesting to me

Performance:
- What was your piece like? our repertory piece was the friends dance from sleeping beauty and we had a contemporary ballet piece as well.
- Did your family and friends come? My dad

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How a lot of the people were not super crazy amazing. The whole thing as just a bit odd.
- What disappointed you? The placement for levels didn't make sense
- What would you do differently if you could? Not go?
- What is your best memory? Having fun with friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I learned that I really love to dance, but I am just not made for ballet. But for other stuff, like modern I am!
- Would you do another SI? Yes but not this one

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... I really wouldn't go to this one unless you are like i love abt!, do more research to find the program that best suits you.
By DancerAndromedamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 657, member since Sat Oct 25, 2008
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 05:04 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Silver City, NM
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? Almost 4 years (definitely late starter!)
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, jazz, tap, ballroom, and at the SI modern.
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Interlochen Center for the Arts, Interlochen, Michigan, USA.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope.
- How did you get there? Plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I've been to an intensive before, but not this one.
- How long did you go for? 6 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Mornings: 1.5 hours modern technique, 1.5 hours ballet technique. Afternoons: 1 hour pointe, 1 hour either jazz or conditioning (alternating days), 1 hour repertory piece rehearsal, and half an hour rehearsal for a different performance at the end.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? I chose to focus on ballet, but we had other classes as well.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes: for ballet, black leotard, pink tights; modern and jazz, black leotard, pink or black tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
- Did you know anyone? No, but I met someone that I almost went to the same school as (sorry if that didn't make much sense)

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? We had cabins with 12 other girls
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No
- What was your roommate like? Well I had 12, and they were all pretty cool. It was weird though, because Interlochen isn't just for dance; there is a music program, a visual art program, etc. so I was the only dancer in my cabin.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? No, but a lot of people brought one anyway. I should have.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes
- Did you make any new friends? Yes
- Did you decorate your room? No
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? You didn't have one person constantly worrying about where you were unless you weren't back by call to quarters.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Swimming in the lake.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? I didn't like the boundaries they set, and the whole no computers/no cell phones policy wasn't very popular either.
- How was the food? It was okay; it was really hard to eat healthily though, especially since the majority of people there weren't dance majors.
- Were you homesick? I missed my friends, but not much else.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Mostly just crazy stuff we did in the cabin; swimming in the lake was fun too, though. I learned a new game called pterodactyl; you can't show your teeth ever, and you go around in a circle saying "pterodactyl." To change the direction you make a weird screechy sound and spastic arm motions.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? I had a hard time adjusting to the difficulty and to the different styles, since I don't do modern at home, but they placed me in a high level anyway. The faculty were all incredible!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not really.
- What was the best advice you received? Don't get too nervous for tricky steps; it will show on your face and just make the steps more difficult.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They are a lot harder (which is really nice!), and the teachers give a lot more corrections.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Alignment, turnout, not overcrossing my passe in pirouettes, and battu in petit allegro.
- What triumphs did you have? My adagio improved a LOT, and at the end I got an award for outstanding achievement :)
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, Amy Young from Paul Taylor gave us a modern class!
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Modern
- Did you get an injury? :( Yeah, some tendinitis :(
- Describe your favorite teacher. He just retired from San Francisco Ballet, and he is incredible! He was really patient, gave really hard combinations that were tough, but just doable, and very good corrections.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes; there were two three-week sessions, and there was a recital at the end of both. Also, at the end of the whole six weeks, the dancers and the orchestra put on a combined show.
- What was your piece like? For the first three weeks, I was in a somewhat contemporary ballet piece, and I was in a pas de deux, which was fun; for the second three weeks, I was in a jazz piece, which was very different and very challenging.
- Did your family and friends come? Yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much I improved
- What disappointed you? The level of the dancers
- What would you do differently if you could? Try to socialize more
- What is your best memory? Finally getting a really hard petit allegro combination!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I'm not really sure. I guess just trying to improve individually instead of competing with people.
- Would you do another SI? At Interlochen? Probably not. Somewhere else? Definitely.

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... Nope.
By AEA_dancer Comments: 3, member since Tue Apr 20, 2010
On Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 AM
- Where are you from?
California
- How old are you?
- How long have you danced?
6 years
- What types of dances do you study?
Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Broadway
State Street Ballet, Santa Barbara, CA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
Yes
- How did you get there?
Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
No, and no.
- How long did you go for?
4 weeks
- What were your daily classes?
Ballet, Pointe/PDD/ Variations, Lunch, Jazz/Character/Modern, Rehearsal
We did a lot of ballet, but many other disciplines as well.
- Did you have a dress code?
Yes, Black Leo( Any color on Saturday), pink tights etc.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
I just bought mine at the store near the studio.
- Did you know anyone?
Yes, many people.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?
No, I had danced there previously.
No
There are so many...
Most were more strict than my previous classes.
PDD, Variations
I got a lot better
Yes, she was from ABT, and I can’t remember her name :/
Yes
- Did you get an injury?
nope :)
I really liked the teacher from ABT, also we had a sort-of strict teacher with Russian training who I liked a lot as well
We got a Ballet-Vocab lecture (where we learned the names for moves and what they mean)

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
Yes, We did parts from Copelia and a bunch of other routines.
I did a piece from Copelia, a Modern/Ballet, and a jazz
yes
Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
How nice everyone was
- What disappointed you?
Nothing
- What would you do differently if you could?
I would dance for the rest of the summer so I wouldn’t lose what I learned :(
- What is your best memory?
I don’t know
How difficult ballet is
- Would you do another SI?
yes
By AEA_dancer Comments: 3, member since Tue Apr 20, 2010
On Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:14 AM
- Where are you from?
California
- How old are you?
- How long have you danced?
6 years
- What types of dances do you study?
Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Broadway
State Street Ballet, Santa Barbara, CA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
Yes
- How did you get there?
Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
No, and no.
- How long did you go for?
4 weeks
- What were your daily classes?
Ballet, Pointe/PDD/ Variations, Lunch, Jazz/Character/Modern, Rehearsal
We did a lot of ballet, but many other disciplines as well.
- Did you have a dress code?
Yes, Black Leo( Any color on Saturday), pink tights etc.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
I just bought mine at the store near the studio.
- Did you know anyone?
Yes, many people.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?
No, I had danced there previously.
No
There are so many...
Most were more strict than my previous classes.
PDD, Variations
I got a lot better
Yes, she was from ABT, and I can’t remember her name :/
Yes
- Did you get an injury?
nope :)
I really liked the teacher from ABT, also we had a sort-of strict teacher with Russian training who I liked a lot as well
We got a Ballet-Vocab lecture (where we learned the names for moves and what they mean)

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
Yes, We did parts from Copelia and a bunch of other routines.
I did a piece from Copelia, a Modern/Ballet, and a jazz
yes
Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
How nice everyone was
- What disappointed you?
Nothing
- What would you do differently if you could?
I would dance for the rest of the summer so I wouldn’t lose what I learned :(
- What is your best memory?
I don’t know
How difficult ballet is
- Would you do another SI?
yes
By ipointe217 Comments: 49, member since Mon Feb 01, 2010
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:04 PM
I haven't been to a summer intensive because a) I restarted late b) my parents prolly wouldn't have let me go anyway. But I will be going to a mini one. Still, I want to hear about YOURS!

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Phoenix, Arizona
- How old are you? 16, 15 at the time
- How long have you danced? 13
- What types of dances do you study? ballet and jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ABT Detroit; Detroit, Michigan, USA
- How did you get there? airplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No and no
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe, repetoire, and jazz, character, modern, or pas de deux
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily ballet
- Did you have a dress code? Yes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Too many actually. :P
- Did you know anyone? Yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Pretty long walk to the studios and the bus stop
- What was your roommate like? Super duper amazing!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Not really
- Did you make any new friends? Totally!
- Did you decorate your room? Yes I did. :)
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Having freedom
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Going to the mall. The zoo and baseball game were fun too. :)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Being in our rooms at 9.
- How was the food? Okay
- Were you homesick? Not at all
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Lady Gaga party!!!!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? nope
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? NO
- What was the best advice you received? Taking notes during class and you must go down to go up.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? they weren't really different
- What are some new things you have to work on? showing more expression when I dance
- What triumphs did you have? It's more personal but I learned I can be on my own and got over the fear of being alone.
- Were there special guest teachers? Rosine Bena
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? partnering was new (and fun)
- Did you get an injury? minor foot injury
- Describe your favorite teacher. He was very interactive and animated and very very helpful.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Lectures on Saturdays

Performance:
- What was your piece like? It was Don Q dream scene and a disco piece
- Did your family and friends come? No. :(

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? HOw much a grew personally
- What disappointed you? The area
- What would you do differently if you could? Talk to more people
- What is your best memory? The dorms
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I learned i'm not very expressive. :(
- Would you do another SI? Of course! :D
By balletstar011 Comments: 14, member since Thu Jan 13, 2011
On Thu Feb 03, 2011 01:59 PM
Joffrey Ballet School young dancer summer program
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Maryland
- How old are you? 13 (12 at the SI)
- How long have you danced? 8 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet
- Where did you go? New York City
- How did you get there? Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Last summer was my first time at an intensive
- What were your daily classes? Ballet Technique, Pointe, modern/ pilaties, lecture class
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ballet and other styles.
- Did you have a dress code? had to buy a certain black leotard and pink tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Only needed one pair.
- Did you know anyone? Nope.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? My family rented an apartment one of the nicer neighborhoods in NYC.
- Did you have to travel far from your apartment to get to class? Walking distance
-was your roommate like? lived with family.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? n/a
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?n/a
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? no.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? didnt live in dorms
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? didnt live in dorms
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? no dorms
- How was the food? no dorms
- Were you homesick? no.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. went to pinkberry every day after class.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?it took a day to really get into all the new things.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no.
- What was the best advice you received? My teacher only looked at me. Best advice: USe your seat muscles and your plie will be MUCH deeper. It helped so much.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Live piano music
- What are some new things you have to work on? using seat muscles more and new words, 5th on ba, 5th on oe.
- What triumphs did you have? strict teachers that gave me alot of attention.
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes!
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no, but i finally tryed pilaties!
- Did you get an injury? nope!
- Describe your favorite teacher. Miss. Liz, for everyone else, she was the enemie. I learned so much from her and she was a great fixer for me.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no...

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? no.
- What was your piece like? n/a
- Did your family and friends come? last day was parent watching classes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The joffrey young dancer program didnt take place in Joffrey Ballet School
- What disappointed you? That it ended. /:
- What would you do differently if you could? do the program for 4 weeks.
- What is your best memory? Ballet Technique
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? My danciing is more clean and technicle.
- Would you do another SI? Going to CPYB this summer to work on technique for a better chance intoSAB next summer.
By dancethemomentX7 Comments: 144, member since Sun Mar 09, 2008
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 09:19 AM
I went to Complexions Contemproary Ballet Intensive
Getting ready:
- How long have you danced? 14 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, modern, contemporary, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) CCB in Detroit MI
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yep
- How did you get there? Car every mornig
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes(CCA HOPE, ABT) ; no.
- How long did you go for? One week
- What were your daily classes? 9:30-11:15 Technique, 11:30-12:30 Body Conditioning, 1:30 ¡V 4, repertory class, where we learned pieces from the show Friday. 4:15 ¡V 5:30, and extra class like yoga, audition skills, improve, hip hop.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet but very contemporary ballet
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, but not very strict, basically a leo and dance shorts, and other form fitting dancewear for the other classes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Well I had enough, however we had no pointe (:
- Did you know anyone? Yes!
I commuted but there were a small number of people who stayed in dorms.
Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? The classes and teaching styles were different but it wasn¡¦t hard to adjust.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Yes
- What was the best advice you received? So much! Don¡¦t save your performance for the stage, begin getting ready by ¡§performing¡¨ even at barre, How to improve my turnout in back tendu, ¡§surge with energy, make your dancing delicious,¡¨ and so much more nuggets of gold.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Very contemporary
- What are some new things you have to work on? Artistry, and really pushing myself to my limits
- What triumphs did you have? Dancing with more passion than I thought I could
- Were there special guest teachers? Well I would say they were all special, with a faculty like: Desmond Richardson, Jae Man Joo, company members Christina Dooling and Clifford Williams, Meg Paul, Sarita Allen, (Dwight Rhoden was unable to teach this week b/c of an illness ƒ¼)
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Did you get an injury? Nothing new
- Describe your favorite teacher. Jae! He is the Ballet Master and he is the best teacher ever! He is such an inspiring teacher and he really pushes and encourages you, and he is super funny!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? At lunch there were ¡§lunchtime lectures¡¨ about injury prevention, nutrition, we watched some complexions pieces, we had a lunch where the faculty talked to us.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, a studio informance
- What was your piece like? We did three short exerpts form Complexions ballets, Moon Over Jupiter, Mercy, and Rise
- Did your family and friends come? Yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much more I can do to make my dancing better
- What disappointed you? That Dwight was unable to teach
- What would you do differently if you could? Maybe make more friends but I had fun though
- What is your best memory? EVERYTHING
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That I have so much more to work on, but I can do it.
- Would you do another SI? Oh yes. I definitely recommend Complexions to all aspiring dancers, next year they want to make it two weeks with the performance at the Detroit music hall so hopefully it will work out!
Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch