re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By hpballerina12 Comments: 80, member since Thu Feb 11, 2010
On Sun Jul 31, 2011 09:20 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? CT
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? 14 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, jazz, modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) I went to the Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts in CT
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yup
- How did you get there? Drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I've been to the American Academy of Ballet and the Rock, but never Nutmeg
- How long did you go for? four weeks
- What were your daily classes? body conditioning, technique, then pointe, pas de deux, variations, or rehearsal for the performance at the end
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? pretty much only ballet
- Did you have a dress code? very specific dress code. Capezio pink seamed tights, Gaynor Minden cap sleeve leo in navy and black and a short sleeve Capezio leo in glacier blue.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yep.
- Did you know anyone? Yes. My best friend from home went, and I knew a girl from DDN
If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, the studios and dorms were all in the same building.
- What was your roommate like? I had 5 roommates. My best friend was one of them. The other girls were from NY, CT, Tennessee and Iowa. They were all really nice!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yep.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I wish I brought more of a variety of casual clothes, and more warmups would have been a great idea
- Did you make any new friends? Yes!
- Did you decorate your room? not really. It was my birthday while I was there, so I had some balloons, but otherwise no.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I loved being surrounded by my friends and we became really close. I loved being able to be more independent than I am at home.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We went to Jacob's Pillow and saw the Trey McIntyre project, both of which were pretty cool.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? The rules were not really enforced, our house mom was really easy going. So i don't have a least favorite rule :)
- How was the food? It was pretty good. Gets repetitive, but it could have been way worse.
- Were you homesick? a little bit.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. well, we all did a flashmob, which was pretty fun. Basically we just goofed off in our room and did a lot of laughing!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? The faculty were all really nice and I adapted pretty easily to what they wanted. The studios were extremely nice, and very large.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? I have a mixed syllabus at home, so this wasn't that much different than what I'm used to.
- What was the best advice you received? Never give up, and dance with your whole body. Don't ignore your head and upper body.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? The classes were a lot more challenging than at home, as at home I'm at a more recreational studio. The barre was longer than I was used to, and center was even longer. We also had the pianist, which I don't have at home, so that was nice.
- What are some new things you have to work on? EVERYTHING. But mainly holding my 5th position and my posture while still having the upper body involved.
- What triumphs did you have? I was asked to stay for the year round program, and I was one of two girls picked to understudy the lead in the performance, but overall I just improved a lot and learned what I have to work on.
- Were there special guest teachers? Moses from Momix came, but I had to be in a rehearsal so I didn't get to take the class. Kirk Peterson also was there for three weeks and worked with us on the originial Marinsky version of Swan Lake that he's now staging in Canada.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes! I did a lot more intense partnering than I've done in the past.
- Did you get an injury? Kind of. The tendons on the top of my foot were hurting a lot by the end of week three, and I have two really bad bruised toenails.
- Describe your favorite teacher. I loved all the teachers, but I loved Tim Melady a lot. He's very easy going and a lot of fun to take class from.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes
- What was your piece like? My level did the Garland Dance from Sleeping Beauty (choreography by Kirk Peterson) and Act 2 of Kirk Peterson's restaging of Swan Lake. I was a Little Swan.
- Did your family and friends come? Yes!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much stronger I got. I learned how to control my breathing while I dance and it worked wonders for me!
- What disappointed you? That there weren't more pointe classes. We had a last minute performance that we were asked to do for the Connecticut Ballet, so a lot of time was devoted to getting that piece ready. We also only had Kirk for 3 weeks, so we spent a lot of time in the studio rehearsing his Swan Lake.
- What would you do differently if you could? work even harder than I did.
- What is your best memory? Getting a compliment from Eleanor D'Antuono. She scared me so much, her words meant a lot to me.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? to work even harder at the basic stuff, to make the harder steps easier.
- Would you do another SI? of course!
By dancetutuhard Comments: 161, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Mon Aug 01, 2011 08:35 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? North Carolina
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 7 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet/Pointe, Modern, Character
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? State- yes, City- no
- How did you get there? Car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, no
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet and Pointe daily, other classes fewer times a week
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? it was a ballet intensive, so ballet was the main focus, but we also had other classes a couple of times a week in other disciplines
- Did you have a dress code? Solid colored leotard (they didn't care if it had different colored trim) and pink tights
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes
- Did you know anyone? yes

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorm rooms in a converted mansion
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 20 minute bis ride
- What was your roommate like? I had a single room
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes but internet wasn't always reliable
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes
- Did you make any new friends? yes
- Did you decorate your room? not really
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? independence and being able to walk to nearby shopping areas
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? dinner cruise
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? not really a rule, but residence life wasn't very organized
- How was the food? breakfast and dinner had standard dorm food with very good baked goods. Lunch was very repetitive and boring because it was catered by a chef and mainly consisted of salad and yogurt
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. too many to list

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not really. I didn't like having to wait for the bus to and from the studios. Also, I'm used to having a small class with a very personal teacher, so being in a large class (29) with teachers that didn't give too many corrections was a change.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? no
- What was the best advice you received? eventually lots of people want to be a professional dancer, so start now acting more professional, so later on at auditions, you stand out,
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? bigger with fewer corrections
- What are some new things you have to work on? turnout, foot articulation, alignment etc.
- What triumphs did you have? improvement all around
- Were there special guest teachers? yes LOTS of guest teachers and company dancers that took/ taught class
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? yes
- Did you get an injury? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. focused a lot on artistry and had an all around good class
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes- nutrition, injury prevention, and stress management

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? Waltz of the Flowers- our teacher wasn't very enthusiastic, but all of the other levels' pieces were good
- Did your family and friends come? mom

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much i improved
- What disappointed you? residence life, lunch food, teachers
- What would you do differently if you could?
- What is your best memory? friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
- Would you do another SI? yes

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...
By DreamsontheWater Comments: 182, member since Sat Oct 03, 2009
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 08:34 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Ireland
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 2 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, character
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (CPYB), Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I had never been in the States before!
- How did you get there? By aeroplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No, no.
- What were your daily classes? 4 technique classes a day (the 4th was optional, but I went to them), and one pointe class a week, for my level. Other levels had pointe class every day. (I did the pointe class in flat shoes, though, because I'm not on pointe yet.)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? There was one Modern class each week, which I really enjoyed, but other than that, it was all ballet.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, it was very strict, too. Leotards had to be of a very classical style (no double straps, cross straps, key-hole backs, lace, etc.) and for most levels, they had to be black. The higher levels were allowed to wear blue, and the highest levels could wear colours. Pink tights.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I wasn't on pointe when I went.
- Did you know anyone? No.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? I lived in a dormitory.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It depended on the class -they were scattered around the town. I think the furthest was about 15 - 20 mins. It wasn't actually very far, but we walked very slowly!
- What was your roommate like? I had a single room.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? They weren't recommended, but some people had them. I didn't. There was internet access in the HUB (the building where the dining hall, shop, and one of the dance studios was).
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Quite wisely. I could only take 50 lbs on the plane, so it was going to be tight in any case.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes, so many wonderful friends!
- Did you decorate your room? Yes, a little.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Just the responsibility, and learning to make my own decisions.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Everyone says it, but Hershey Park was wonderful! Also, Stars of CPYB and June Series (ballet performances) were so enjoyable.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? None of them were so bad. I suppose room check at 9.30 was a little annoying, because you had to stop what you were doing and go upstairs. Also, you had to stay in your room until you were checked, but it was often late, so you ended up staying in your room and wasting time for about half an hour.
- How was the food? It was delicious. There was a lot of variety and they made it very easy to eat nutritious food.
- Were you homesick? Only on the first night; after that, I was completely fine, and I never wanted it to end!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Getting dressed up to see the last Harry Potter film, going to the swimming pool together, and just generally hanging out and sharing inside jokes!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not really. It was different and much more intense than I am used to, but I wouldn't really say I 'struggled'. It wasn't easy though!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? I think it was a mix of a lot of different methods, but none of them were what I do.
- What was the best advice you received? Always work as hard as you can in every single class. Treat corrections like diamonds - cherish them. Never get discouraged - keep working slowly and correctly, and you will improve. Also, among other things, all the wonderful advice about turnout and pirouettes.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? It was a lot more hands-on, which I really liked, because the teachers physically fixed me, and aligned me the way they wanted, and I didn't have to wonder whether I was doing it correctly.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Rotating my legs all the time, straightening my legs completely, pointing my feet as hard as I can, making everything neater.
- What triumphs did you have? I understood and started to achieve the components needed to get consistently clean pirouettes, my arabesque got higher and more correctly placed, I learnt about how I should use my muscles to turnout correctly, and I became stronger and I think my stamina improved.
- Were there special guest teachers? There were lots of guest teachers, but I hadn't really heard of any of them, just because I don't really follow American ballet, but they seemed very reputable.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No.
- Did you get an injury? No, thank goodness! I had a few aches and pains, though, but they usually went after a day or two.
- Describe your favorite teacher. There were so many! 1. Miss Karen, because she was so lovely and she made you want to work harder and keep going when your muscles were screaming at you. 2. Alecia Good, because she played such beautiful music for us, and she gave us lovely combinations with lots of scope for feeling. 3. Susan and Gennadi, because Susan was so cute and she didn't mind if our turnout wasn't naturally perfect, and Gennadi because he was very funny and his class was so intense. 4. Theresa Crawford, because her class killed you, but you improved so much. 5. Melinda Howe, because she taught me so much about turnout, and the basics.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? There was a nutrition seminar, and there was supposed to be a seminar with the physical therapist, but it was cancelled.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How I improved steadily, and just how amazing the teachers were!
- What disappointed you? I wasn't really disappointed by anything. One teacher tried to make us force our turnout at the barre, but she was very good otherwise, and we only had her twice.
- What would you do differently if you could? I could say stretch more in the evenings, but I don't think that that would be very realistic, because I was so busy and tired and I wanted time to just relax with my friends. So I might not change that even if I were doing it again.
- What is your best memory? All the times with my friends, and the time when I got my first compliment from a teacher.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I feel that I want to work to the best of my ability in every class, and wring every last drop of effort out of everything.
- Would you do another SI? I really want to go back to CPYB next year - it was the best summer I ever had! I don't know if we'll be able to afford it, though. I'll see...

By balletgurl03member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 219, member since Sat Jan 20, 2007
On Sun Aug 07, 2011 06:52 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Indianapolis, IN
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 12 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and pointe
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Ballet Chicago
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, many times
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, I went to Atlanta Ballet last year
- How long did you go for? 7 weeks
- What were your daily classes? During the first 5 weeks, we had ballet, pointe, variations, pas de duex, pilates, modern, and character. For the Advanced Intenisve (2 weeks) we dropped the modern and character and focused on ballet.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet is the focus
- Did you have a dress code? Yes. You need three colors: black for technique, modern, and character, navy for pointe and pas, and white for variations. They insist on a plain camisole/ tank style, but people got away with crossing straps, sleeves, etc. Also, skirts are allowed in pointe, pas, and variaitons, and the teachers want everyone to wear a matching white skirt with their white leotards.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Not quite. I brought 6 pairs knowing I would need more. I needed two more pairs.
- Did you know anyone? Yes, I came and roomed with a close friend.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It's about a 15 minute walk.
- What was your roommate like? I had two, and it worked out great. We all became very close, and with our suitemates as well.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes. However, it's wired Internet, so bring a cord.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? For the most part. I needed more sweatshirts since the dorms were so cold!
- Did you make any new friends? Yes!
- Did you decorate your room? Not too much. Just some pictures.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? The Art Institue.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Very limited laundery hours: 2 hours twice a week. And the dining hours very limited too.
- How was the food? There are a lot of chioces, which was nice. The carry out luches however left a lot to be desired.
- Were you homesick? No.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. mOst of the craziness went down in our suite. We had some fun times...

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not at all. Balanchine technique fits me like a glove.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? I was trained in a mixed classical technique, and this program is 100% Balanchine. But I loved it.
- What was the best advice you received? Basically ,everything Sheila Rozann said. She always had the best correction/ advice.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? The teachers expect your very best. There is no slacking off.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Not holding tension when I try to work hard.
- What triumphs did you have? Learning that a future really is in store for me.
- Were there special guest teachers? Sheila Rozann, Sandra Jennings
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Character. I did not like it very much.
- Did you get an injury? No. Just a lot of soreness!
- Describe your favorite teacher. All of them. Like I said, Sheila Rozann is like your grandma, and she really gets every ounce of energy you have out of you. And her analogies are great (have the energy of a New Yorker, not a Southern drawl). Tec Seymour's classes were great too. We really got to move. He gets you to utilise not only technique, but artistry.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We had a nutrition/injury prevention seminar, and some Balanchine/Ballet Chciago repetoire movie nights

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes, at the end of both programs.
- What was your piece like? The first show, we did the first movement of Concerto Barocco, and a modern and character piece. In the second show, our level did Stars and Stripes 1st regiment, and excerpts form Donizetti Variations.
- Did your family and friends come? Yes. My parents and grandparents.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? That I would end up staying for the year-round program!
- What disappointed you? Nothing really.
- What would you do differently if you could? I could have put on pointe shoes for technqiue more often than I did.
- What is your best memory? Just how incredible class could feel when I really put in the energy to do things 110%.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I need to find freedom in my movement.
- Would you do another SI? Oh yes.

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... This really is an incredible program. Be prepared to work very hard, but in the end, you will feell like a new dancer because of it!
By dancer548 Comments: 33, member since Tue Mar 29, 2011
On Tue Aug 09, 2011 02:03 PM
Getting ready:
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? 6 YEARS
- What types of dances do you study? BALLET,MODERN
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)
BOSSOV BALLET THEATRE
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? NO
- How did you get there? PLANE
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? YES
Have you been to THIS program before? NO
- How long did you go for? 5 WEEKS
- What were your daily classes? BALLET, ANOTHER CLASS (CHARACTER,ACTING,STRETCH,VARIATIONS,PDD(ONLY FOR LEVELS 3 AND 4), POINTE OR MEN'S CLASS, OR CORPS DE BALLET, THEN REHEARSAL
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? WE DID THE CLASSES ABOVE
- Did you have a dress code? LEOTARD, PINK TIGHTS, PINK SLIPPERS
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? NO, BUT I ONLY PACKED TWO AND ORDERED THE REST
- Did you know anyone? NO

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? DORMS
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? THEY WERE ON THE SAME CAMPUS
- What was your roommate like? ALRIGHT
- Were you allowed to have a computer? NO
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I OVERPACKED
- Did you make any new friends? YES, TONS
- Did you decorate your room? A LITTLE, WE DECORATED OUR SUITE
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? UM... I PERFER HOME, BUT I LIKED BEING AROUND FRIENDS
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? WE WOULD GO TO BIG BILLS (ICE CREAM)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? THEY WOULD CHECK ON US AT TEN, AND MOST OF THE TIME WE WANTED TO BE IN BED
- How was the food? TOO GOOD
- Were you homesick? A LITTLE
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. THERE ARE TOO MANY

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A TAD
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? YES, VAGANOVA
- What was the best advice you received? IF YOU IMPROVE JUST A LITTLE A DAY, BY THE END OF THE YEAR YOU SHOULD BE AMAZING
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? THE CORRECTIONS WERE MOSTLY GENERAL
- Were there special guest teachers? NO
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? NO
- Did you get an injury? YES
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? NO

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? YES
- What was your piece like? SWAN LAKE ACT 2 AND ASSORTED OTHER DANCES
- Did your family and friends come? SOME

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?THE CHANGES FROM THE WEBSITE TO THE ACTUAL CAMP
- What disappointed you? NOT DOING ALL OF SWAN LAKE
- What is your best memory? MEETING GREAT FRIENDS :)
- Would you do another SI?POSSIBLY, MOST LIKELY NO
By GotThePointe Comments: 17, member since Sun Nov 20, 2011
On Fri Nov 25, 2011 08:00 AM
It's sad to hear about you hips :(... Hope you get better soon and start dancing again!!!!
By ballerinazing101 Comments: 41, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 02:10 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? California
- How old are you? 13, 12 at the time of the SI
- How long have you danced? 11 years
- What types of dances do you study? Lyrical, Ballet, pointe, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Ballet San Jose, San Jose, CA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? yes
- How did you get there? my parents drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes to both
- How long did you go for? for 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? stretch class, character, flamenco, technique, pointe, jazz, partnering
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily ballet, with extracurricular classes
- Did you have a dress code? students from the school had to wear their uniform, students from different schools had to wear a black camisole leotard
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? NO
- Did you know anyone? yes, because I had gone the year before

If you lived there: I didn't board there.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A little
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes. My home studio is primarily Cechetti, and this was Bournonville
- What was the best advice you received? Turn out from the hips, lift the arches, land through the foot
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? more intense, stricter
- What are some new things you have to work on? TURNOUT
- What triumphs did you have? quad pirouette
- Were there special guest teachers? Mads Erikson of the Royal Danish Ballet, Keira Shwartz of BSJ
- Did you get an injury? I've had problems with arch cramps for a long time, and my knees were bothering me a lot
- Describe your favorite teacher. Mads Erikson's style of teaching seemed to make a special connection with me. He was funny, but serious. He made a lot of comparisons to famous ballets.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes. The Sleeping Beauty and a self choreographed piece
- What was your piece like? In the Sleeping Beauty I was one of the waltz fairies. In the choreographed piece, the music was from Romeo and Juliet and Cinderella. Another boy and I were the leads with about five other dancers in the backround.
- Did your family and friends come? My parents came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How huge the building was
- What disappointed you? favoritism and repetition in combinations
- What would you do differently if you could? Just go back and do everything perfectly.
- What is your best memory? All my friends and all the good times we had
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That this is not just a recreational little ballet class. This is my life and my only chance for a good future. I love it more than ever.
- Would you do another SI? Depending on my needs for this year, I'm afraid not. :(
By ballerinazing101 Comments: 41, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 02:14 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? California
- How old are you? 13, 12 at the time of the SI
- What types of dances do you study? Lyrical, Ballet, pointe, jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Ballet San Jose, San Jose, CA
- How did you get there? my parents drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes to both
- How long did you go for? for 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? stretch class, character, flamenco, technique, pointe, jazz, partnering
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? primarily ballet, with extracurricular classes
- Did you have a dress code? students from the school had to wear their uniform, students from different schools had to wear a black camisole leotard
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? NO
- Did you know anyone? yes, because I had gone the year before

If you lived there: I didn't board there.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A little
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes. My home studio is primarily Cechetti, and this was Bournonville
- What was the best advice you received? Turn out from the hips, lift the arches, land through the foot
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? more intense, stricter
- What are some new things you have to work on? TURNOUT
- What triumphs did you have? quad pirouette
- Were there special guest teachers? Mads Erikson of the Royal Danish Ballet, Keira Shwartz of BSJ
- Did you get an injury? I've had problems with arch cramps for a long time, and my knees were bothering me a lot
- Describe your favorite teacher. Mads Erikson's style of teaching seemed to make a special connection with me. He was funny, but serious. He made a lot of comparisons to famous ballets.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes. The Sleeping Beauty and a self choreographed piece
- What was your piece like? In the Sleeping Beauty I was one of the waltz fairies. In the choreographed piece, the music was from Romeo and Juliet and Cinderella. Another boy and I were the leads with about five other dancers in the backround.
- Did your family and friends come? My parents came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How huge the building was
- What disappointed you? favoritism and repetition in combinations
- What would you do differently if you could? Just go back and do everything perfectly.
- What is your best memory? All my friends and all the good times we had
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? That this is not just a recreational little ballet class. This is my life and my only chance for a good future. I love it more than ever.
- Would you do another SI? Depending on my needs for this year, I'm afraid not. :(
By Allegro98 Comments: 6, member since Mon Feb 13, 2012
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 05:19 PM
Edited by Allegro98 (246341) on 2012-07-29 17:27:19
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? CT
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 9-ish years (I've danced seriously for about 3)
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and modern, mainly
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Boston Ballet School SDP Newton
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? No and no!
- What were your daily classes? 90 minute technique, an hour of pointe, and two or three other classes: modern, jazz, pilates, stretch/strengthen, character, lectures, choreography/improv, musical theater, sometimes a second technique class
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? see above
- Did you have a dress code? No warmups in class, skirts allowed only for pointe. any color leotard and pink tights. You have to fully cover your dance clothes if you leave the studio during the day.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, way more than I needed!
- Did you know anyone? One guy from my studio

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, 15 minute bus ride
- What was your roommate like? She was ok
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but there isn't any WiFi
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes, except I forgot a dress for the Dinner Dance Cruise.
- Did you make any new friends? Yeah I did!
- Did you decorate your room? Not really, but many people did.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Being able to hang out in the quad. It was a good common area.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? The weekend activities were all great, and also our RC did lots of fun stuff with our floor during the week: ice cream, cupcake bar, shopping in Boston, spa nights
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? You had to check in every night, which doesn't seem like a big deal but if you forget or you're late, it becomes one.
- How was the food? Not so great because Lasell is getting a new dining hall, so we had to eat in the gym and there wasn't much. The boxed lunches weren't fantastic either--salads or wraps with underripe fruit and chips! But they were good about accommodating allergies or special diets.
- Were you homesick? Shockingly no, just the first couple of nights.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Mad Libs! :) Walking around Newton between classes, going to Boston, weekend activities

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No! They were very welcoming.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not really
- What was the best advice you received? Loads!! Tiny muscle shifts to help with keeping square in arabesque, turns, everything. One teacher says to engage your underbutt, which I never really did before, but I discovered how much it helps!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? More structured! haha other than that, nothing was really different, except wrapped coup de pied for frappe and pirouettes from a lunge in 4th
- What are some new things you have to work on? My core and turnout
- What triumphs did you have? Turning on pointe
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, we had weekly master classes in technique
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? I didn't get to do partnering, but some levels did. Repertoire/variations was new for me and that was a lot of fun
- Did you get an injury? Nope, and my existing ones are better (not to jinx it or anything)
- Describe your favorite teacher. Impossible to choose. I really liked them all.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? There were lectures during the day about makeup, nutrition, injury prevention and costumes

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No, but parents were invited to see the last day of classes
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come? Yes!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? That the food was bad, and how much I improved!
- What disappointed you? The food
- What would you do differently if you could? Be more social and try a little harder to make friends!
- What is your best memory? Every second of it!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? All the corrections I got!
- Would you do another SI? Definitely!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... The classes were very small, only about 20 kids per level, and the boys have their own level. The RCs were fantastic and helpful. Supposedly, the food will be better next year when the new dining hall is built! Otherwise...it's a great program! If anyone has questions about it, ask away!
By KayAdagio Comments: 1, member since Sat Sep 18, 2010
On Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Utica, New York
- How old are you? 14
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, Pointe, Character
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts in Torrington, CT USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? By car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, I have been to an intensive before, however, this was my first time at Nutmeg.
- How long did you go for? 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Technique, Pointe, Repertoire, Partnering,Variations, Modern
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?
- Did you have a dress code? Yes- Gaynor Minden Cap Sleeve leotards (different colors for each day), Mirella Wrap Skirts for pointe work
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? No- I went through about a pair a week.
- Did you know anyone? Yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No- the dorms are in the same building as all studios.
- What was your roommate like? I had 5 roommates- they were all a joy!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes.
- Did you make any new friends? So many new friends! I love them all!
- Did you decorate your room? No, we weren't allowed to put tape, tacks, etc. on the walls.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Meeting many new friends, and learning about their customs.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? After class we often went up to the studios to take pictures or just make up dances!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? No decorating allowed.
- How was the food? We walked to a school two blocks away from Nutmeg for each meal. Although it was school food, it was better than what you would expect!
- Were you homesick? No
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. On Sundays, I would walk around Torrington with my best guy friend and my roommates and we would see a lot of crazy things! No matter what we were doing, as long as we were together, we were having a ball.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not at all
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Yes
- What was the best advice you received? I'm not sure I can think of anything specific right now, but the corrections were very personal and helped me improve immensely.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Nutmeg teaches Vaganova while I was taught a Royal Ballet style.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Placement of the arms, upper body and head.
- What triumphs did you have? For our final performance I was entitled one of the soloists!
- Were there special guest teachers? Every week a new guest teacher taught.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? We had partnering 1-2 times a week. I had little experience in partnering before so this really improved my knowledge.
- Did you get an injury? Unfortunatley, yes :(
- Describe your favorite teacher. Mrs. Kunsch, a lovely lady. She is so caring, intellectual and not to mention an absolutley FABULOUS teacher!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes we had dance theory classes.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? We had 3 shows, one was at Jacob's Pillow.
- What was your piece like? Each level had a modern piece, variation, and classical piece.
- Did your family and friends come? Yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How well I got along with all my roommates.
- What disappointed you? The fact that I had to leave!
- What would you do differently if you could? Take advantage of my free time to stretch/ excersise.
- What is your best memory? Meeting and spending time with my best guy friend!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I feel alot more confident in my dancing!
- Would you do another SI? Most definetly!

I'd like to include that out of all Summer Intensives I have attended, I feel I have improved the most here! The staff is amazing, and I couldn't ask for better teachers. Won't be my last time at Nutmeg, that I can say for sure!
By dancetutuhard Comments: 161, member since Tue Jun 09, 2009
On Tue Jul 31, 2012 04:00 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? North Carolina
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 8 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet/pointe, modern, character, some jazz
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Boston Ballet School SDP Boston
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, I went to Newton when I was younger
- What were your daily classes? technique, pointe, master/ rep (either a second technique class that was focused on specific details or rehearsal for the class demonstration), and another class (pas, lecture, modern, character, or pilates)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? see above
- Did you have a dress code? yes- leotard and pink tights, skirts for pointe/ variations and master/ rep if you wanted
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? just the right amount
- Did you know anyone? yes

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 25 minutes- 5-10 mins on the train and then a 15 min walk
- What was your roommate like? lazy and horribly messy! She was awful!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes, we were given the wifi password when we checked in
- Did you make any new friends? yes!
- Did you decorate your room? a little
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? you could go anywhere in the city (even the beach) by taking the T (subway)
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? I didn't really do any
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? lights out by 12 on weekends
- How was the food? lunches were awful
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. too many

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no, but a lot of my people couldn't adjust to my main teaacher's style
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes, my teacher was Balanchine, but I really enjoyed it!
- What was the best advice you received? to pick up the details
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? my teacher was Balanchine, and sometimes we were so focused on other parts of class that we didn't get to jumps. Also, my teacher liked us to take technique class en pointe
- What are some new things you have to work on? foot articulation and really cross fifth
- What triumphs did you have? see above
- Were there special guest teachers? some like company members, but my level didn't get many
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? not really
- Did you get an injury? no
- Describe your favorite teacher.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? there were two movie nights where one of the teachers showed dance movies

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? depending on your level you were either in a performance, or your level did a class demonstration
- What was your piece like? my class did a demonstration with a choreographed center en pointe and then different variations. I did the variation from Balanchine's Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux
- Did your family and friends come? my mom came

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much i improved
- What disappointed you? levels, there was so much variation in people's ability and how they could apply corrections, that I wish they payed more attention when putting people into levels
- What would you do differently if you could? ?
- What is your best memory? my friends and the school director coming up to me after the performance and complementing me on my musicality
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? not sure
- Would you do another SI? YES!

By pilzie09 Comments: 1, member since Sat Apr 28, 2012
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Portland, Oregon
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 3 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Summer Dance Lab (Walla Walla, Washington, United States)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? State and country yes, city no.
- How did you get there? Driving
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I'd never been to a summer intensive before.
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? Morning Classes: Technique (flat shoes), Pointe Afternoon Classes: Jazz, Modern or American Theatre Evening Electives: new every day
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Pretty even, just a little more ballet. (That's what I enjoyed about this intensive, it gave us experience in all genres of dance)
- Did you have a dress code? Black leo, pink tights (booty shorts for jazz, character skirts for american theatre)
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I packed too many! We didn't do nearly as much/ as hard of pointe as I thought we would.
- Did you know anyone? Nope!

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms at Whitman College
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 2-3 minute walk
- What was your roommate like? I thought we were going to be great friends when I first met her, but we ended up being two very different people.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yep
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I didn't bring enough hand towels (I brought zero) but other than that, I was fine.
- Did you make any new friends? Tons! Strangely, a whole lot of them were from Alaska.
- Did you decorate your room? Completely! I had curtains I hung everywhere, flowers (fake and real), a poster board, programs from my studio's shows, throw pillows...
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I did my chores (laundry, cleaning my room) when I wanted to, not when I was told to.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Taking pictures around campus!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? We had to be on our own floors by 9:00, lights out byt 10:00. (all my friends were on the floor below me! i was bored for an hour)
- How was the food? It was fine, just a little repetitive after a while (pasta EVERY night)
- Were you homesick? Surprisingly, no! I never been away from home for that long, and i was fine.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. In front of the biggest theatre on campus is a piece of 'art' (I think it was supposed to be art). There was five boulders set continually higher than the last (like stairs) that we really far apart from one another (like, you couldn't jump from one to the next). We all tried to see who we could get up there. It was impossible to get anyone on the fifth rock, but we managed to the smallest girl up on to the forth one, amid much giggling. :)

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really, it was just as different as I expected it to be.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Nope
- What was the best advice you received? What I needed to do to correct my upper body placement.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They spent more time on basics and technique then my teacher at home does.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Not using my quads, leaning forward, elbows up, extending through my point.
- What triumphs did you have? Lead part in American Theatre piece for showcase.
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes! A lot of them were from the Oregon Ballet Theatre.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Character dancing
- Did you get an injury? Nada
- Describe your favorite teacher. Ms. Bostwick related to us the best, and gave a challenging class.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Every night there was something new!

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yep
- What was your piece like? Well, every level is supposed to only perform ballet and one elective (jazz, american theatre, modern), but my level ended up performing ballet and all three electives! Oops...
- Did your family and friends come? My family did.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The size of the 3 week program (only 40 kids!)
- What disappointed you? I was never really, really sore. I was looking forward to learning how to dance through those days when you can barely move your legs.
- What would you do differently if you could? Read through my notes and cleaned them up sooner, and e-mail my teachers at home.
- What is your best memory? Taking pictures around campus with my friends!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Every little thing you do, if you put your mind to it, will help you improve.
- Would you do another SI? Definitely

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... SDL is the perfect place for a first time SI, i highly recommend for younger dancers (11/12/13).
By Audreyjoydancing Comments: 14, member since Mon Aug 13, 2012
On Mon Aug 13, 2012 09:19 PM
I haven't been to a summer intensive because a) I restarted late b) my parents prolly wouldn't have let me go anyway. But I will be going to a mini one. Still, I want to hear about YOURS!

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Texas
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? Since I was 3 or 4
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, a tiny bit of contemporary
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle, Washington
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope!
- How did you get there? Plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes, no.
- What were your daily classes? Tech(6 days/week), pointe (5 days/week), modern, jazz, character (2 days each/week), mat (1 day/ week), seminar ( I think we had 2 throughout the whole program)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? See above(:
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, solid color Leo's and pink tights (yumikos and Leo's with trim were totally fine). We could wear shorts for jazz and modern. Skirts for character. The older levels could wear black tights for partnering.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, too many!
- Did you know anyone? My roommate and one other girl.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? SPU dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It was a 10 or 15 minute bus ride on a Metro bus that PNB had rented just for its students
- What was your roommate like? Awesome
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Not really...
- Did you make any new friends? TONS!
- Did you decorate your room? They gave us some ballet posters, and there was a door decorating contest
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? The whole experience! We were supervised, but we had a ton of freedom.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Maybe the dorm dance or the trip to the space needle.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? They were all totally reasonable, though at first we were all confused and paranoid about breaking them!
- How was the food? Blehhh... Not great. They had vegetarian options though, which was important for me.
- Were you homesick? Not really
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had so much fun! There was a huge fountain right behind PNB that we would always go to on out breaks. There was also a big food festival called Bite of Seattle which was super fun.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not at all.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? It was pretty much exactly the same.
- What was the best advice you received? Lots on pirouettes!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They weren't that different, just more intense.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Pointework.
- What triumphs did you have? I now have solid triples in all directions! (except from fifth... \:)
- Were there special guest teachers? No, although Peter Boal taught the upper level classes.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No, although I hadn't done much character and definitely not like this kind of character!!!
- Did you get an injury? Yes. The last Wednesday of the program I sprained my ankle doing fouettes.
- Describe your favorite teacher. She gave a ton of corrections! She was funny but very serious too.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes, there was a TV room at the dorms and you could pick a movie to watch. There was a foot/ankle dr. who came and gave lectures in the first week, and you could schedule an appointment with him to examine your feet for the following weeks.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No, but there was parent watch week the last week.
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How nice everyone was and the non-competitive atmosphere.
- What disappointed you? We didn't have partnering or Rep at my level.
- What would you do differently if you could? Not have gotten injured!
- What is your best memory? Hard to pick one.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I have just really realized that this is what I want to do with my life!
- Would you do another SI? Of course!

One negative: there were A LOT of injuries. My class had three people on crutches (myself included) by the end of the program. I didn't feel like the teachers were pushing us beyond what was reasonable though.
By ballerinachloeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Fri Jan 21, 2011
On Thu Nov 08, 2012 05:21 PM
NEXT GENERATION BALLET
++++
Okay so I went for the full time (I think 5 weeks) and while I was glad for the experience (it was my first intensive) I would not go there again. I would not recommend this for advanced dancers.
++++
They play favorites. It was VERY obvious. They paid a lot of attention to the year round students. The style is very American and fast paced so as a Vaganova trained dancer, I was glad for the exposure but not a fan of the style.
By Ogracem77 Comments: 17, member since Sun Nov 18, 2012
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:42 AM
I'm from the USA, I'm 14 and I've been dancing for 5 months. I do tap, jazz, lyrical, and ballet dance. I've always wanted to go to the Kirov or the Joffrey school of ballet, and I'm hoping to be able Togo at some point in the next few years... I know I just started but I believe if I work hard enough I might have a shot? :P
By dancer4life38 Comments: 10, member since Thu Dec 27, 2012
On Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:09 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New York
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? since i was 4
- What types of dances do you study? jazz,ballet,modern (2 years of tap , 1 year hip hop)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) American Acadamey of Ballet in New York at SUNY Purchase
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes , my aunt lives near there
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Nope
- What were your daily classes? 1st week - just ballet technique 2nd and 3rd weeks- everything (pointe, partnering, character,spanish,conditioning,folk dance,jazz,and modern)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too?^^
- Did you have a dress code? pastel leotards on certain days and black for ballet any other times. No crazy strapped leos in the backs for performances but people got away with it in class
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes 2 pairs
- Did you know anyone? my sister and 1 other girl from my studio

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?dorm
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? 5 minute walk
- What was your roommate like? So fun, and crazy :)
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Anything you wanted there was no wifi connection for wireless devices, you had 2 pay for connection
- Did you make any new friends? YES TONS
- Did you decorate your room?yes
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Friends, staying up late,
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? shopping, there were seminars and activities every night. there was a dance and people got dressed up
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? NO OPEN TOED SHOES
- How was the food? good. catered by a resturant
- Were you homesick?A little in the beginning
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. TOO MANY TO NAME.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A little. It was very big, and some of the teachers wer not the best
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? alittle, some different styles
- What was the best advice you received? before going across the floor, stand in fifth, then right before you go, go to b plus because judges/teachers will notice that
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Jazz was very musical theater based, modern was the same ( he used some of the music my teacher uszes :) ballet was normal
- What are some new things you have to work on? pirouettes, fouttes, pointe
- What triumphs did you have? pirouettes
- Were there special guest teachers? yes THERE WAS A OLYMPIC GYMNAST FOR CONDITIONING!!! Faculty was from a wide range
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? YES FIRST TIME PARTNERING! AND folk dance and spanish
- Did you get an injury? yes hurt my angle, out for half a day
- Describe your favorite teacher. An older man from london. He made easy combinations but you had to perfec everything. gave lots of good corrections, very kind.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? yes gaynir minden seminar

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? 1 show at the end of the first week and 2nd two weeks
- What was your piece like? Easy choregraphy, but fast on flat
- Did your family and friends come? yes

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? some teachers picked favorites SOME WHERE VERY STRICT. wide range of student backrounds and age range in each class
- What disappointed you? level placement, some teacherss
- What would you do differently if you could? audition live instead of video
- What is your best memory? being crazy with my roomate
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? standing out, performing, nerves,
- Would you do another SI?YES

i signed up for an extra night class where you learned a few combinations and performed infront of a judge and also performed a solo variation
By craycrayballet Comments: 9, member since Sun Aug 19, 2012
On Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:21 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Upstate New York
- How old are you? 15 (14 at the time)
- How long have you danced? since I was 3 but I didn't really start getting good training until I was 10
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, modern, jazz and theater jazz, and a little bit of charecter
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)American Academy of Ballet at SUNY Purchase in NY
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes!
- How did you get there? car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no to both
- What were your daily classes? the first week was all ballet, and the rest of the intensive we started with a two hour technique class and then we would have 3 more one hour classes, one in the morning with technique, and two in the afternoon, which were Modern, Jazz,Pointe, Sometimes a ballet class with a guest teacher or something specific like pirouttes, Charecter, Spanish,Variations, or Rehearsal and I think that's it!
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was centered around ballet but there were so many other classes!
- Did you have a dress code? There was a strict dress code for Ballet. Black leotards most days and pastel on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Leotards had to be simple for the most part wih no twisting backs, and I don't remember if halter leotards were allowed. You also couldn't wear any flowers or bows in your buns and your hair and shoes had to be very neat. For jazz and modern people got away with wearing some warm-ups.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes! We didn't really do much pointe.
- Did you know anyone? My sister and a younger girl from my studio

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? not really
- What was your roommate like? Awesome! We became really close!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but there was hardly time to use one so I didn't miss it that much!
- Did you make any new friends? Yes! Tons! And a few really good ones that I talk to a lot!
- Did you decorate your room? yes, and the door... :P
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I liked being responsible for my own stuff like landury and getting a taste of what college will be like!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? The only time we left the dorm the first 3 weeks was to go shopping, but I was sick. The "Disco" was a lot of fun though!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? On my floor we had to be in our rooms by 9:45, but that was probably for the better.
- How was the food? Good. There was always something to pick from, and some people had A LOT of allergies and were still able to find things.
- Were you homesick? Nope!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had a party in one of our rooms almost every night, but every minute we spent together was like a party!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really more than usual
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? I don't really think it was the specific advice, but what I learned overall that taught me new ways to apply corrections.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? We had a two hour technique class, where at my studio it's only an hour and a half, so we were able to do a lot more!
- What are some new things you have to work on? Pirouttes...hehehe...
- What triumphs did you have? The teachers complimented me on my flexibility a lot!
- Were there special guest teachers? There were a few, but I think they had come before.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes, I did partnering, and it didn't go so well the first time, but practice makes perfect. :)
- Did you get an injury? Nope! I was really suprised because I didn't get sore or have much pain, but my mucsles were always tired.
- Describe your favorite teacher. We had one teacher I really liked because she was like a mix of all my teachers at home!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes, Gaynor Minden came and there were a few talks about ballet careers and stuff.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? There was one show at the end of the one week session, and one at the end of the two week session.
- What was your piece like? Most of the ballet pieces were similar and repetitive, but I like the Jazz piece we did.
- Did your family and friends come? My mom and a few family members who live near-by came to the last performance.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The fact that so much happened in such a short time.
- What disappointed you? How competetive everyone was about the levels because the levels were named after colors and then dead choreographers so people were sometimes fighting about which level was higher.
- What would you do differently if you could? Approach the competiton differently.
- What is your best memory? All the parties in our dorm rooms eating chocolate, talking, and playing cards. :)
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I'm more serious about it because I feel like I have a new appreciation for it!
- Would you do another SI?
DUHHHHHHH I'm SO excited for SI's in 2013!!! It will probably be a different one, though.
By dancerella1234 Comments: 8, member since Fri Dec 28, 2012
On Fri Dec 28, 2012 08:36 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? South Dakota
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? 13 years
- What types of dances do you study? ballet (cecchetti method primarily but others as well), modern (mostly Graham and Horton), jazz, contemporary, character, a little hip hop, and a little tap
- Where did you go? Joffrey Ballet, New York City
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope, but I had always wanted to go and the city was as amazing and fun as I had hoped!!
- How did you get there? Airplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Nope this was my first intensive
- How long did you go for? 7 weeks total (1 week of the regular ballet intensive, 4 weeks of the performance track intensive, and 2 weeks of the jazz/contemporary intensive)
- What were your daily classes?
Regular Ballet Intensive: In the morning there was usually ballet and then point or pas de deux and then in the afternoon you had two classes of either modern, jazz, contemporary, character, etc...
Performance Track Intensive: Basically the same as the regular intensive except in the afternoon you had rehearsals for your two pieces. There was one ballet piece and one modern piece and you had the same two people every day and you put together the numbers for the show.
Jazz/Contemporary: In the morning you either had ballet or pilates for a warm up, then in the afternoon you had a variety of classes in jazz, contemporary, modern, theatre, improv, etc.

- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ^ (oops...kinda answered that in the last one) :)
- Did you have a dress code? UGH!!! The dress code thing was sooo annoying! When you registered online it told you that you had a strict dress code that was enforced in every class. They made you buy the leotards with the Joffrey logo...as well as the shorts, teeshirts, sweatshirts, spandex, waterbottles and what not. SOOOO NOT TRUE! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! The main problem was that the orders were all extremely backed up! I didn't get my stuff until the 5th week I was there! Then when I did I was really disapointed in the leotards. a. because they ended up being too big and b. the brands were so varied. I got so danca ones and my roommate ended up with mirellas! This made me really mad obviously because the mirellas were way nicer than the so danca ones yet joffrey charged the same price for them! I would say to anyone going this year...don't waste your money on a lot of leotards. Buy maybe one incase they want to use them for the show and deffinatly get a tee shirt just as a souvineer but don't think that its gonna be real strict...most of the teachers weren't even aware that there was a dress code! If they were picky about dress code, it was things like baggy shirts or sweatpants and such, thats it!
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? I packed a pair of pointe shoes for every week I was there and that worked pretty well for me. I typically break through shoes really quickly though so if your one that has trouble breaking them in I would say don't bring quite as many! I was also pretty disapointed with the amount of pointe, we only had one class a day and it was usually an hour and the technique class couldn't be taken on pointe.
- Did you know anyone? Nope, but I made a lot of really good friends there!

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Yes! You had to take the subway and if you have never been to New York, don't fear! They aren't that scary! They are really dirty and they have a...unique...smell about them but they aren't hard to figure out. If you are younger you had to go with an RA but I think 15 or 16 is the cut off age that you don't have to have an RA with you. We all basically went with the RA's for the first week but then after that we basically got used to it and went in smaller groups.
- What was your roommate like? I had multiple roomates! I was in a three person room and it was pretty fun! My first set of roomates were nice but they were both in different levels and in the evenings we all had different friends to hang out with and my first week there was their last week so we didnt really get to know each other very well. Then my second set of roommates were from Italy! That was super cool and they spoke enough english to get bye but there was still quite a language barrier. :/ Then my third set of roomates were awesome! This was for the jazz/contemporary portion and there was different leadership and they did a better job of putting people in dorms with people in their levels. That way we had the same classes to go to and the same friends and such!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yep it was encouraged and cell phones were required.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yeah I think I did, I had to go by plane and so I had to be fairly minimal to my standards but in reality it kept me about right on track with how much to bring. I also bought a lot of stuff for my room and bathroom when I got there so that I didn't have to pack it all!
- Did you make any new friends? TONS!! we have a whole facebook group chat where we all still stay in touch!
- Did you decorate your room? A little, they are pretty much plain white and boring so we made it a bit more personal but nothing like posters covering every wall and stuff like that!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? FREEDOM!!! It was nice getting to live on my own and in a way it was good prep for college and moving away from mommy and daddy! I learned how to do my own grocery shopping and laundry (cheaply!! because on the website it says its free for borders...its not! Its like $5 for just the card alone and then close to 2 dollars for the wash and 2 for the dryer...we ended up hanging a lot of stuff around the room)
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity? By far it was all the shows!! Being right in NYC there were pleanty of opprotunities to go to broadway shows and ballets! We went to Swan Lake, Le Corsaire, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Chicago, Stomp, Pilobolus, and there were other options as well. I would highly recommend going to as many of these as possible!! A lot of times the RA's would know someone in the cast and be able to take us back stage to meet the stars!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? THey were super strict about shoes! If you were outside of your room barefoot or even in slippers they got mad at you..even if it was just to take out the garbage in the garbage shoot right across from your room! And they were also really strict about curfew and signing in! Curfew was 9:00 pm and if you signed in at 9:01 you got a strike! One time me and my roomates fell asleep like right after dinner and we all ended up getting a strike. You can only get 3 strikes and its really easy to get them so all of their stupid little rules...yeah...follow them!!
- How was the food? I would not recomend the meal plan they have to offer. You eat at this little restaurant called Earls thats right down the street from the dorms. For breakfast they had really good muffins, a few bagles, and some really burnt breakfast sandwiches and thats about it! Lunch wasnt provided. For dinner all they had was sandwiches and salads. The sandwiches weren't bad, but I'm a really picky eater and they dont like costom making anything. They also dont have very many vegetarian options. Their salads were okay but they "ran out" of things alot. The workers were really rude and lazy too. Overall not good. You have a nice size fridge and a microwave in your room and two grocery stores within a block...i would suggest just getting your own food!
- Were you homesick? A little...a lot on the 4th of July...but other than that I pretty much loved the freedom I had and being away from South Dakota!!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. The upstairs lounge was always a blast! We watched movies, talked, watched the olympics, and it was also the only place where guys and girls could be together because they were really strict about that too. One day we all had a harry potter marathon that was fun and if you were 16 or older you could basically do whatever you wanted as far as going to times square or tourist traps by yourself.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? The studio floors werent sprung! :( Knees and ankles werent happy with me! And you also got pleanty of different teachers so if you didnt like one chances are you were only going to have them once or twice. I also saw this as kind of a downside. You never really got very personal corrections and a lot of times the classes were really easy just because the teachers didnt know where the levels were at difficulty wise.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Everyone had their own styles and none of the teachers were very strict when it came to things like a slightly different head or anything. If you do a little reasearch ahead of time though and find out what the teacher likes, that might be helpful! I would reccommend that for any intensive though!!!
- What was the best advice you received? The best advice I got was from Matthew Prescott. It was "find your ZAA!" and basically what he meant was find the color that represents you and make that just glow from your body when you are performing. It was meant for us to find our own way in dance and to do what we love the most and make that just shine! One day we went through the whole group and we all had to describe our "ZA".
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were pretty well rounded with all the different styles because you had so many different instructors.
- What are some new things you have to work on? CORE!! I knew this before but its an ongoing struggle. I'm really hypermobile and that is good because I'm really flexible but not good because I need the strength too!
- What triumphs did you have? I really enjoyed getting to know all the different styles of dance and finding out what suits me best. We had a class during the jazz portion that was a modern but it was WAAAYYY different than what I was used to but I really enjoyed it and the teacher even pointed me out for doing exactly what he wanted so that was pretty awesome!!
- Were there special guest teachers? All of them kind of felt like guest teachers because we didnt really have many of them more than 3 times! Other than our rehearsal piece instructors, every one was a guest instructor.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? There was partnering, however I was not new to it. A lot of people were though and it ended up being really easy partnering for a good introduction to it!
- Did you get an injury? Nope thankfully!
- Describe your favorite teacher. My favorite teachers were Prescott and Jana. Prescott was hilarious and fun and crazy! He made classes a lot of fun while we were also learning a lot about dance and about ourselves as dancers! Jana was a contemporary teacher during the jazz portion and she was really nice and I liked the style she taught. She (as well as many teachers) taught classes at steps in the evenings and when we were feeling really ambitious we went to some of them!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? THere was a dance history class once a week during the two ballet portions but they were during the day.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yep!
- What was your piece like? We had a ballet and a modern piece like I talked a little bit about above. They were fairly long pieces because there was like 30 people in my level. Both of the peices were coreography but some of the other levels did variations and such.
- Did your family and friends come? Yep my mom and grandma flew out to see it and some relatives that live in the area came too.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How close I got to everyone there! We had a great time and like i said earlier, we still keep in touch!
- What disappointed you? The size of it. I would have preferred a little smaller and a little more personal of an intensive but I loved living in the city and getting to meet all the people I did! The food was not good, neither was the dress code, and the beds were really uncomfortable if you didnt have a matress pad and the laundry was expensive. Mostly jut the little things that could be avoided and were a nuisence. The classes were great and the city was fun though!
- What would you do differently if you could? Find a smaller intensive or one that, and i know it will sound bad, but that doesn't have such an extensive faculty list. I would have liked it better if i was able to get more personal corrections other than things like "keep your elbow up" and "bevel that foot". Haven't we all heard those!?
- What is your best memory? Being able to say that I lived in New York for a summer and all of the people I met and things I saw!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I just am gonna keep at it and keep on improving!! I want to be a coreographer some day and to have my own studio where I can pass on my love of dancing!
- Would you do another SI? OF COURSE!! :) i'm auditioning this summer for Kaatsbaan and Interlochen and some others too but i need to do some more research yet!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about... I think its pretty thurough!! I cant wait to read through other peoples responses to get some more ideas for this coming summer!
By luvdance5678 Comments: 76, member since Sun Jan 29, 2012
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 02:10 AM
I have!
By balletgirl54 Comments: 22, member since Sat Jul 21, 2012
On Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Northern California
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? About 8 or 9 years
- What types of dances do you study? Primarily ballet, a little bit of modern and contemporary
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) ABT Alabama in Tuscaloosa
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope
- How did you get there? Airplane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? It was my first intensive.
- What were your daily classes? Technique, pointe, repertory, choreography. Then sometimes pas de deux, modern, Pilates, character.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Ballet was the focus.
- Did you have a dress code? We wore black leotards Mon-Thurs and colored on Friday. No halters were allowed.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Too many.
- Did you know anyone? No

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Yes. Some were in walking distance; others we had to take the bus to get to.
- What was your roommate like? Amazing!!
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yeah
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yep
- Did you make any new friends? Yes
- Did you decorate your room? Yeah
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I got to have fun and get to know people so well in the short length of time that we had together.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Nothing... I was disappointed because we didn't go off campus.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Hall meeting at 8:30 each night
- How was the food? Really good
- Were you homesick? A little
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had so much fun... And when it was time to leave we were all crying because we had grown so close.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? Use dynamics in your dancing. It makes your dancing more interesting.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were the same, some teachers focused on different things though.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Lots!
- What triumphs did you have? My turnout improved!
- Were there special guest teachers? Not really.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No
- Did you get an injury? No
- Describe your favorite teacher. She was incredibly kind, but in no way soft. She urged us to apply corrections right away. And she also gave the best feedback.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We had nutrition and anatomy seminars on the weekends.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes
- What was your piece like? We had two- the princess dance from swan lake and an original choreographed work by one of the teachers.
- Did your family and friends come? My mom came.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How much more control I gained in my ballet technique.
- What disappointed you? How we didn't go anywhere during our free time on the weekends.
- What would you do differently if you could? Get more sleep.
- What is your best memory? Having so much fun getting to relax with my roommates.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I understand how to be more coordinated in my dancing, and how to appear more confident and engaging. I also understand that the little subtle details in ballet can make a dance stunning.
- Would you do another SI? Yes!! But probably not this one again. I loved it for my first experience but I'm ready to try something else.
By S_H_A_O_ Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 05:57 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New Jersey
- How old are you? 12
- How long have you danced? 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, pointe, pas de duex, modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) I went to Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet in Carlisle, PA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, I've been to PA but I've never been to Carlisle.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes. I've been to the Joffrey Ballet School in NYC and American Ballet Theatre in NYC.
- What were your daily classes? I had 2 technique class, a pointe class and then an optional evening class and then other extra, optional classes. Sometime we would do variations in our pointe class.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? It was all ballet except for one or two class per week.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes. A conservative style leotard, tights and ballet shoes.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, too many.
- Did you know anyone? A few girls from my own school were there but I didn't really know them.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? A dorm
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Yes. It was a pretty long walk, and then I would have to take a van to get to my studio.
- What was your roommate like? I had two, and I got along with them, but I didn't like them that much.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but it was strongly advised not to bring it.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes, but I could've packed more shorts.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes! Many!
- Did you decorate your room? No, but many other people put posters up.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I liked living in the dorms because even after class you would have more friends to go back to.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? My favorite dorm activity was when we got to know our hall. We played a fun game.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? The least favorite rule was that we had to have room check to make sure we were in the building.
- How was the food? The food was really good and diverse.
- Were you homesick? No, only for the first day.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We would hang out in each other's dorm rooms or go to the dance store. We really didn't have much time out of dance.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? No, but some things were taught differently but I got used to them easily.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? A bit, but most of the time it was the same.
- What was the best advice you received? The best advice was how to work on my turnout because turnout is my weakness.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Well I believe CPYB teaches Balanchine while my school mostly does Vaganova.
- What are some new things you have to work on? Turnout definitely and lengthening my legs.
- What triumphs did you have? I can finally do better pirouettes.
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes. They were mostly former or current dancers from major companies.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No, but we did do variations and usually we don't do variations at my own school.
- Did you get an injury? Nope, but a lot of people did. One girl actually sprained her ankle the fifth day and couldn't dance for the rest of the program.
- Describe your favorite teacher. My favorite teacher was Theresa Crawford because she gave many corrections and she really broke things down for you so you could understand the steps.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes. every Thursday there was this thing called Coffee talk, and it was where a teacher would give a lecture about their dance career. There was also a pointe shoe seminar but not many people went. There was also a Gaynor Minden and Freed of London pointe shoe fitting. Some nights there would be a movie in the main lounge or outside on the lawn.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No
- What was your piece like?n/a
- Did your family and friends come? They could come to watch your last class but mine didn't come.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? I was surprised at how talented the kids were there.
- What disappointed you? I was disappointed that I didn't like my roommates as much as other people did.
- What would you do differently if you could? I would go to more optional classes.
- What is your best memory? My best memory was when we went to Hershey Park because my friends and I had a lot of fun.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I realize how much harder I have to work on my overall technique.
- Would you do another SI? Yes! Next year I am auditioning for 6 and if I don't get into any of them I am planning to go back to CPYB next yea, for you don't need to audition or anything.
By beachballerina Comments: 6, member since Sun Jan 19, 2014
On Sun Jan 26, 2014 07:24 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Florida
- How old are you? 16, I turned 16 in the middle of the program
- How long have you danced? since I was four
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, jazz, and Horton
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Alvin Ailey junior division in NYC
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes I went for a week the summer before
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I went to the FSU intensive before but never Ailey
- What were your daily classes? ballet, either jazz or horton, and rep every other day, no classes on the weekends
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? ^^^^
- Did you have a dress code? Maroon leotard and pink or black tights. They were very strict about it
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes I was in a pretty low level and the pointe want demanding at all
- Did you know anyone? No

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No it was like a 5 minute walk
- What was your roommate like? It was an apartment type setting with three rooms, and in 2 of them there were 3 girls and the other one was our chaperone, but I loved my roommates I miss them so much
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes but mine stopped working in the second week
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yeah i had plenty of clothes
- Did you make any new friends? Yeah a lot of them
- Did you decorate your room? not really, but a couple girls brought posters and there was a door decorating contest but my dorm didn't participate
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? You really got close to the people around you and there was a lot of freedom
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? shopping, there was a american apparel right down the street I loved it
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? before you left anywhere you had to text your chaperone and wait for their response which was quite annoying
- How was the food? they didn't provide food but there were many markets nearby and the whole foods was good too
- Were you homesick? No I don't really get homesick
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We would have dance parties until pretty late and one girl brought this disco ball thing in it was so much fun. We also use to have movie parties too.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no the studios were absolutely gorgeous
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? not really it was very similar to my home studio
- What was the best advice you received? To lift up in my legs so they appeared to be very straight
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? they weren't really but the horton was very different
- What are some new things you have to work on? straightening my legs more I guess
- What triumphs did you have? i got many corrections from my teachers and one teacher even complimented me
- Were there special guest teachers? our horton teacher was a company member, and one day she was absent so we had a different company member for class
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No i never got to do any parterning
:(
- Did you get an injury? I had knee problems but I only had to sit out once
- Describe your favorite teacher. my horton teacher Hope Boykin was so funny and one of my ballet teachers lisa attles gave me a lot of good corrections
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? we had an injury prevention lecture and a couple movie nights in the dorms

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? I didn't like it she showcased a couple girls and if you weren't one of them you were basically scenery
- Did your family and friends come? my mom and my friend and her mother who were at a different intensive

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? How nice all the teachers were
- What disappointed you? i felt as if I should've been in a higher level
- What would you do differently if you could? probably stretched more
- What is your best memory? Crazy times in the dorms
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I feel like i did improve
- Would you do another SI? yes

I only recommend this SI if you get placed in a level above B
By balletgilly3 Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 29, 2013
On Sat Jul 26, 2014 04:52 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
I am from Washington D.C.
- How old are you?
- How long have you danced?
2 years (1 year very recreationally, 1 year seriously)
- What types of dances do you study?
Ballet and a teeny bit of modern and contemporary.
Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before?
I have been to Pennsylvania, but never CPYB

- How did you get there?
I drove about two and a half hours

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
I have only ever been to my home studio intensive before this

- How long did you go for?
5 weeks!

Two tech and 1 pointe. Once a week there was modern replacing a tech class. There were also optional evening ballet classes and supplementals such as pilates, stretch, and hip hop.

Mostly Ballet

- Did you have a dress code?
Yes, my level, C2, could only wear simple, traditional, non-strappy or lacy leos. Some upper levels could wear blue or any color leos.

- Did you pack enough pointe shoes?
Yes. I brought three pairs.
- Did you know anyone?
Nope! But I made lots of friends.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
Dorms

- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?
Kind of. We walked about half a mile.

- What was your roommate like?
I had a suite, so my three roomates were super nice and funny!

- Were you allowed to have a computer?
Yes. I brought mine for homework :(

- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
Yes. I packed too many street clothes that I didn't wear.

- Did you make any new friends?
Lots!

- Did you decorate your room?
A little. I put up a few pictures. My roomates put up lots of pictures and magazine pages. It was colorful :)

- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
It was so much fun just to be living with friends all day!

- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
Hershey Park was fun

- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?
No sleepovers

- How was the food?
Amazing! So many both healthy and non healthy options, all delicious. Lots of vegan options (important for me! I am vegetarian/sometimes vegan)

- Were you homesick?
A little. Not too much

- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.
We played a trick on our friend and made her think we weren't in the room. She came in the bathroom and we jumped out and screamed it was soooo funny!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty?
A little, but I got used to it quickly.

- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to?
Yes. The style was very Balanchine. I train Vaganova/RAD at home.

- What was the best advice you received?
To learn from the girls that are better than you and to show your personality through your movements.

- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
They taught more of a Balanchine style so slightly faster combos.
- What are some new things you have to work on?
Petite Allegro, turns, and pointe work

- What triumphs did you have?
I improved adagio, extension, overall placement, strength, and learned new steps

- Were there special guest teachers?
We had some dancers from Pennsylvania Ballet teach!

- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering?
Nope

- Did you get an injury? :(
No, but I got pretty sore sometimes

I liked all of them, mostly. They gave so many good corrections and made you want to work.

- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?
Yes, they had 1 nutrition seminar, and some RA's scheduled a movie night for your hall.

Performance:

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
The quality of the classes and how many friends I made.

- What disappointed you?
All the walking to different studios

I would give 110% all the time. Towards the last week I found myself slacking sometimes and now I am very mad at myself!

- What is your best memory?
Everything

If I really want to do this professionally, I have to give all I have and learn to use my muscles in exactly the right way. I also have to put more emotion into my dancing.

I don't know. I loved it and I improved so much, but I might want to try a new experience somewhere else next year. Who knows. maybe I'll go back.

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about..
By balletgilly3 Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 29, 2013
On Sat Jul 26, 2014 04:53 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
I am from Washington D.C.
- How old are you?
2 years (1 year very recreationally, 1 year seriously)
Ballet and a teeny bit of modern and contemporary.
Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet
I have been to Pennsylvania, but never CPYB

- How did you get there?
I drove about two and a half hours

- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before?
I have only ever been to my home studio intensive before this

5 weeks!

Two tech and 1 pointe. Once a week there was modern replacing a tech class. There were also optional evening ballet classes and supplementals such as pilates, stretch, and hip hop.

Mostly Ballet

Yes, my level, C2, could only wear simple, traditional, non-strappy or lacy leos. Some upper levels could wear blue or any color leos.

Yes. I brought three pairs.
- Did you know anyone?
Nope! But I made lots of friends.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family?
Dorms

- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class?
Kind of. We walked about half a mile.

- What was your roommate like?
I had a suite, so my three roomates were super nice and funny!

- Were you allowed to have a computer?
Yes. I brought mine for homework :(

- Did you pack wisely in retrospect?
Yes. I packed too many street clothes that I didn't wear.

- Did you make any new friends?
Lots!

- Did you decorate your room?
A little. I put up a few pictures. My roomates put up lots of pictures and magazine pages. It was colorful :)

- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home?
It was so much fun just to be living with friends all day!

- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)?
Hershey Park was fun

- What was your least favorite residence hall rule?
No sleepovers

- How was the food?
Amazing! So many both healthy and non healthy options, all delicious. Lots of vegan options (important for me! I am vegetarian/sometimes vegan)

- Were you homesick?
A little. Not too much

- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.
We played a trick on our friend and made her think we weren't in the room. She came in the bathroom and we jumped out and screamed it was soooo funny!

Class:
A little, but I got used to it quickly.

Yes. The style was very Balanchine. I train Vaganova/RAD at home.

To learn from the girls that are better than you and to show your personality through your movements.

They taught more of a Balanchine style so slightly faster combos.
Petite Allegro, turns, and pointe work

- What triumphs did you have?
I improved adagio, extension, overall placement, strength, and learned new steps

We had some dancers from Pennsylvania Ballet teach!

Nope

No, but I got pretty sore sometimes

I liked all of them, mostly. They gave so many good corrections and made you want to work.

Yes, they had 1 nutrition seminar, and some RA's scheduled a movie night for your hall.

Performance:

Overall:
- What surprised you the most?
The quality of the classes and how many friends I made.

- What disappointed you?
All the walking to different studios

I would give 110% all the time. Towards the last week I found myself slacking sometimes and now I am very mad at myself!

- What is your best memory?
Everything

If I really want to do this professionally, I have to give all I have and learn to use my muscles in exactly the right way. I also have to put more emotion into my dancing.

I don't know. I loved it and I improved so much, but I might want to try a new experience somewhere else next year. Who knows. maybe I'll go back.

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about..
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Sun Jul 27, 2014 04:06 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from?
California
- How old are you?
8 years
Ballet and Modern
Alonzo King LINES Ballet SI in SF, CA
Yes
- How did you get there?
I commuted from home every day
I went to a local 2-week, but not a real intensive, so no
it was 4 weeks
Ballet, modern, pointe or contemporary partnering, LINES rep. or Choreography,
Equally ballet and modern
no
yes, I needed only one pair
- Did you know anyone?
yes but they weren't in my level

Class:
No
Not really, but every teacher hd a very unique and interesting take on ballet and teaching
"you are enough"
They ask for more and expect more
Knowing that I can only improve when I choose to
Yes, Alonzo King himself taught class twice (most incredible experience of my life)
I hadn't had much contemporary partnering, and we had a lot
no! :)
LeeWei Chow was amazing. He gave class with the best focus of both artistry and pure technique, and was strict enough without being scary. He also gave very individual corrections
We had a class called Critical Perspective on Dance (CPD)

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end?
yes
It was around 15 minutes, with 20 or so dancers. Very modern, with 3 movements and lots of entrances and exits
yes
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch