Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Florida
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? since i was 4
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet, pointe, jazz, and modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) CPYB
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Never
- How did you get there? plane
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? no I've never been here before but I've gone other places
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks
- What were your daily classes? 2 technique, 1 pointe and an optional evening class (ballet or modern)
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mostly ballet and one modern class per week
- Did you have a dress code? yes very simple leotards but since i was in D2 i could wear blue as well as black
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? i like using dead shoes so i had plenty
- Did you know anyone? no

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? some people complained but I didn't mind the walk
- What was your roommate like? My roommates were great, other than a little issue at the end it was fine
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? i wish i had packed more athletic clothing
- Did you make any new friends? tons
- Did you decorate your room? not really
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? more freedom and spending time with all my friends
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? hershey park
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? room check at 9:30
- How was the food? it was pretty good
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. I always would scare my roomies when they came out of the bathroom it was really funny.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? very similar
- What was the best advice you received? to put my hip down while turning, and to always feel your supporting butt cheek
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? they weren't very different
- What are some new things you have to work on? my placement
- What triumphs did you have? I got compliments from a few different teachers
- Were there special guest teachers? we had a few dancers from pennsylvania ballet teach us, and once there was an ABT soloist that taught us
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? no
- Did you get an injury? i strained a tendon in my foot
- Describe your favorite teacher. One of my favorites was a teacher that would tell you why you were injured and help you get past that setback
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? we had a nutrition talk on the first or second night

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? no
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much my technique needed to be improved
- What disappointed you? no partnering
- What would you do differently if you could? took more evening classes
- What is your best memory? hanging out with friends before lunch
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? i need to straighten my legs and control my turnout
- Would you do another SI? most definitely
re: *~*In hindsight...a survey about your SI*~*
By hannah_ballet Comments: 43, member since Mon Aug 12, 2013
On Mon Jul 28, 2014 08:59 AM
Edited by hannah_ballet (260661) on 2014-07-28 09:04:26
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Massachusetts
- How old are you? 15
- How long have you danced? since I was 3!
- What types of dances do you study? At my home studio I do ballet, pointe, modern, jazz and tap, etc
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts in Torrington, CT
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I've been to CT before but never Torrington (except for the Nutmeg audition)
- How did you get there? Drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I went to Joffrey NYC for two weeks last year, but this was my first time at Nutmeg!
- How long did you go for? Four weeks.
- What were your daily classes? 5 classes a day: Normally something like ballet, pointe, variations, and two repertoire classes. Sometimes a partnering or modern class thrown in.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Basically everything was ballet! My level had two modern classes a week. Sometimes we had pilates or ballet theory.
- Did you have a dress code? Yes, a specific kind of tights (Gaynor Minden seamed), and specific brand and style of black, purple, and navy leotards--the three alternated.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, and even if you didn't there is a dance shop right in the building where you can buy new ones.
- Did you know anyone? Yes, one of my friends from my home studio came with me.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, the studios were in the same building as the dorms!
- What was your roommate like? I had three roommates, they were the best people ever! We all became close friends so quickly and I loved them so much
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes! As long as you have one nice outfit for Jacobs Pillow you're fine
- Did you make any new friends? Yes a TON! <3
- Did you decorate your room? Not really, we weren't allowed to have posters or anything
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Making new friends and having so much fun with them all the time!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? they didn't offer a ton of activities but we went to a Jacob's Pillow performance and I met Misty Copeland so that was amazing haha!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? we had to make our bed every morning haha
- How was the food? It wasn't great but not too bad! breakfast was good with a lot of variety and choices! lunch and dinner were more ehh. we had pasta every day haha
- Were you homesick? A little bit, especially in the third and fourth weeks, but never to the point of tears or anything too bad
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Hanging out on Sundays (our one day off) and walking around Torrington, going to Nutmeg Grille and TJ Maxx and Target and DunkinDonuts, just having fun!!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not really!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? A few things were different, Nutmeg is very vaganova, so little things like frappes were confusing at first
- What was the best advice you received? I can't even pick one thing that was the best! Little tips helped me so much, like keeping your arms open for longer in pique turns then closing them quickly, in en evant with your arms act like your palms are a flashlight on your face, head over standing foot in balances, things like that :)
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? More vaganova than I was used to, but not super different
- What are some new things you have to work on? More work on arms and turns!
- What triumphs did you have? My turns have gotten better, my stamina and learning of variations has improved,I feel much more comfortable and daring in pointe work, and my balance has definitely gotten better!
- Were there special guest teachers? yes, the first week there was Kirk Peterson. He taught our ballet classes and staged Coppelia Watlz of the Hours on us. The second week Brian Reeder came and taught our ballet classes and staged an original dance on us. The third week we had one class with Joffrey Ballet's Emily Patterson, a nutmeg alum.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes! A TON more partnering than I was used to! It was great! I tried other new stuff too, especially on pointe, like fouettes, italian fouettes, more types of hops on pointe, etc
- Did you get an injury? No but some people did
- Describe your favorite teacher. Either Ms. Kunsch, an energetic woman with a huge love of ballet and passion for teaching, and great analogies that helped me a ton, or Ms. Mazzarrelli, who gave a super fun and challenging class and the sweetest and most knowledgable lady ever!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Nope, but my friends and I watched first position on our own lol and there was one guest speaker (a nurse) who talked about hygiene and germs and injuries etc

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes!
- What was your piece like? I was in several pieces. Our big ballet piece was Coppelia, Waltz of the Hours. We also did a variation from Swan Lake and a variation from Sleeping Beauty. Then there was a partnering demo choreographed by one of the teachers, and then there was another folk-type fun dance choreographed by a guest teacher.
- Did your family and friends come? Yep! And the show was sold out :)

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Hmm, nothing really, the number of classes a day was really high (5!), honestly what surprised me was how quickly I made friends!!
- What disappointed you? If I had to say something it would be the food, but it wasn't even that bad
- What would you do differently if you could? Be less scared of one of the teachers lol cause she was terrifying but by the end I got over it. Or work more on pointework before I came because we did a ton on pointe.
- What is your best memory? Waaaay too many, having so much fun with my friends, especially our dance photoshoot we did on a Saturday in one of the studios
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Well I kind of realize that although I probably won't be a professional, I still want to push myself to be the best I can be. And a bunch of other stuff too
- Would you do another SI? Probably! I looooooved Nutmeg, I really did, but I think I'd want to try something else next year if I do an SI

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about...
By Lilmisstippytoes Comments: 24, member since Fri Jan 03, 2014
On Wed Jul 30, 2014 01:24 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Oregon
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 8 years
- What types of dances do you study? Mostly ballet but also modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Central Pennsyilvania Youth Ballet (CPYB)
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope
- How did you get there? Flew on my own
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I went to a two week intensive in walla walla last year
- What were your daily classes? 1 ballet class before lunch, 1 after lunch, then a pointe class (some levels didn't have pointe) and an optional ballet class after dinner. We also had modern once a week and 1 ballet class on Saturday.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Very ballet focused, but the modern instruction was still very good. There were supplemental classes that did hip hop and Zumba on Saturdays.
- Did you have a dress code? Very strict-plain black leotards (no cross cross straps, haters, turtlenecks, mesh, lace, low cut backs, zippers, strappy backs, etc.) but levels D and above could also wear blue.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yeah, but one of my pairs were ruined by a thunderstorm walking back from class.
- Did you know anyone? Nobody

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It depends on where your classes were it was about a 2-15 min walk depending in where you had class.
- What was your roommate like? She was great! They match you up on if your messy or neat so that's really nice, our room was always a mess, they ask about music taste though but a lot of peoples roommates like different genres.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? They say they don't recommend it but it doesn't really matter a lot of people brought one
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I think so, try to pack as much as you can because the washing machines tended to break a lot.
- Did you make any new friends? A ton, you definitely have to so you can walk to class or the cafeteria with somebody.
- Did you decorate your room? I brought a couple posters and some photos, but lots of people bought posters from the bookstore or walmart cause they were pretty cheap.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? You don't have to cook your own meals
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We went to see a NYCB performance and to Hershey park and to the sports emporium so that was a lot of fun.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? 10:15 lights out for our dorm and there were meetings allll the time.
- How was the food? It wasn't amazing but it was decent and there were definitely some pretty good meals.
- Were you homesick? Not really, your too busy and tired to think about it.
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We had a lot of sleepovers photo shoots and went downtown a lot, just the usual stuff.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? The classes are very slow, but you adjust quickly because there are so many teachers you get something new every day.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? They teach a mixed sylabus and so does my studio.
- What was the best advice you received? To be very stubborn and not stop until you do it right, Also to not mark even if the teacher is.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They were very focused on clean technique and moved slowly so that everything would be easier once you sped it up.
- What are some new things you have to work on? I've definitely learned a lot about placement and how simply thinking about stretching vs. Pushing down can help a ton.
- What triumphs did you have? My turnout went from about 140 degrees to 175 without forcing it.
- Were there special guest teachers? There were tons of guest teachers from all over the world it was great.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? I tried different styles of modern (Paul Taylor and Horton) but partnering was mostly year round kids
- Did you get an injury? No, I actually recovered a lot from my Achilles tendonitis after going to the physical therapist there.
- Describe your favorite teacher. I loved so many of the teachers, especially the men who really helped me actually dance not just be technically clean, and they definitely let me dance in a less feminine way which I loved, but I also did love one teacher who went very slow and made you hold positions for the longest time but you definitely saw improvement at the end.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? There were instructor coffee talks on Thursdays with different teachers talking about different subjects (pointe, professional careers tracks, etc.)

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No
- What was your piece like?
- Did your family and friends come?

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The way my muscles completely changed, I'm allready a very skinny person but I look taller, skinnier and much more muscular
- What disappointed you? Some of my favorite teachers (frank galvez, Lucia montero, Bruce Thornton) I only had a couple of times.
- What would you do differently if you could? I wish I would have gone to hip hop on the weekends haha
- What is your best memory? In the last week I started to see it in the teachers eyes that what I was doing was right, and that's a very satisfying feeling.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I feel so much stronger and motivated and I feel like my chances of dancing professionally have increased immensely because I was given the tools to continue to work just as hard at my home studio
- Would you do another SI? Most definitely, I'm also considering dancing at cpyb year round.

By Balletballerina1 Comments: 2, member since Sun Jun 29, 2014
On Wed Oct 15, 2014 03:47 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Colorado
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? I have dance for about 8 1/2 years
- What types of dances do you study? At the intensive it was character, ballet, modern, and variations
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Southland Ballet Academy
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes because i looked into the year round program (Attending now)
- How did you get there? Heard from my coach
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes this was my 5th and and no i haven't.
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks
- What were your daily classes? It varies each day but it was technique, pointe, variations, character, modern, and palates.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Other disciplines
- Did you have a dress code? It was any color leotard so no.
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
- Did you know anyone? I have seen them before and taken one class with them so not really.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms and it was only two americans and rest japenese
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, two minute drive
- What was your roommate like? Not good, too big of an age difference.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yes
- Did you make any new friends? Yes, they are very group orientated.
- Did you decorate your room? Not really
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? All of the freedom you are allowed
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? Maybe disney land
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? There was no rules!
- How was the food? Great!
- Were you homesick? A little bit except that is because i was staying there all year
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.
My roommate and i went to target and we went to get ice cream. We payed and then it started melting. We went back to the freezers and then my roommate switched her ice cream! We were freaking out because we lost the receipt and the alarm would go off! Then it didn't so we sprinted back to the rooms to put it in the freezer since it was melting.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A little bit
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Nope
- What was the best advice you received? There's too many to just say one!
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Absolutely amazing! The teachers are all prima ballerinas and also the directors of YAGP!!
- What are some new things you have to work on? My turn out and upper body.
- What triumphs did you have? My balances and feet are so much better!
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, prima ballerinas, directors of the best schools, and directors of YAGP.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Character, no partnering though.
- Did you get an injury? :( Nope!
- Describe your favorite teacher. She screamed so much at me but she was really focusing on me and giving me great feed back. She pushed me so far and I loved it! Director of YAGP
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings?

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? Yes
- What was your piece like? I had five!
- Did your family and friends come? Yup!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The amazing teachers.
- What disappointed you? The people from the studio.
- What would you do differently if you could? Nope
- What is your best memory? Performing on stage
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Yes
- Would you do another SI? YESSSSSS
By darlingdancer124 Comments: 1, member since Thu Nov 20, 2014
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 02:44 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New Hampshire
- How old are you? 17
- How long have you danced? 11 years
- What types of dances do you study? Primarily ballet, but lyrical and modern as well
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Nope!
- How did you get there? We drove.
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Nope, this was my first experience.
- How long did you go for? 5 weeks.
- What were your daily classes? 3 to 4 ballet classes every day, although we had modern once a week. We also had one class on Saturday mornings, and Sundays off.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Mostly ballet.
- Did you have a dress code? Yup, pretty strict. It varies slightly from level to level but for the most part it's a strict, basic black leotard. They're strict about what types, too...Marcia doesn't like anything that looks "like a bathing suit" and no warm-ups
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yup.
- Did you know anyone? No. I had seen a handful of girls at auditions in Boston but no one personally.

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? Dorms.
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? It was about a 15 minute walk.
- What was your roommate like? I had two, and I loved them. The older girls in the program all lived in a house together (about 20 of us) and we all got really close.
- Were you allowed to have a computer? Yes, but they didn't recommend it and not many people brought one. My roommate brought hers though and we used it to watch Netflix sometimes.
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Yeah, although I had to have my parents send me warmer sleepwear, because they keep the dorms freezing.
- Did you make any new friends? Yes!! I loved all of my housemates and we all still keep in touch. We were like sisters by the end.
- Did you decorate your room? Just pictures and stuff. Some people brought rugs and posters.
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? You make so many friends, and you're never bored or lonely. I actually had a hard time adjusting to being home because I got so used to always having friends around.
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? My RA planned a lot of little activities for us, and we spent a lot of nights just watching movies and talking. There isn't a ton to do in Carlisle, but you can walk into town (there's a Walmart, Panera, creperie, and a lot of stores) or to an ice cream place called Massey's pretty easily. The field trips to see NYCB, the sports emporium, and Hershey Park are a lot of fun, and they have program-wide parties and evening activities as well.
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? The 9:30 in-dorm curfew, and 11:15 lights out. They weren't too big a problem, but on occasions like the fourth of July, when we wanted to go see fireworks, or were in the middle of a movie, they were kind of a hassle. Not too bad though.
- How was the food? Not terrible, but it gets old pretty fast. They try really hard to have "diverse" foods, but not always to great results. Great dessert selection if you want a treat.
- Were you homesick? I was at first, but after the first week I never wanted to leave!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We spent a lot of time going into town or outside on the lawn, just enjoying being together. If you're not willing to be adventurous and make your own creative fun, you'll be bored in the downtime. We were, and it gave me the best memories.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? The teachers are strict and intimidating, but they can teach you so much.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not method, but definitely a lot slower than what I'm used to. There's a huge emphasis on breaking down your technique and rebuilding it.
- What was the best advice you received? Actual dancing-wise, you'll get a lot of push on your turnout. But life-wise, I had been really frustrated after a class one day. Re, the teacher, came to me and gave me the most amazing pep talk about not giving up. She also had a lot of wonderful analogies for class...one of my favorites was to frappe like you're killing a spider :)
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Like I said, a lot slower. You don't get to do showy things, it's entirely focused on your technique.
- What are some new things you have to work on? I thought I had good turnout, but the pushing here made me really realize I could push my body even farther than I have. Marcia could always tell when I wasn't pushing my turnout all the way (I have naturally flexible hips and use to really float by between having natural turnout and good feet) and now I hear her voice in my head forcing me to push it even more!
- What triumphs did you have? When you're there, it's hard to see how much you've improved, but when you come home and see how much better your technique is and how much stronger you are, you'll be in shock. You come home a whole new dancer.
- Were there special guest teachers? There were, from a lot of major companies and schools.
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No, partnering was hand-selected for the girls and the class was almost entirely the amazing year-round girls.
- Did you get an injury? :( I was recovering from an injury while I was there (severe ankle sprain, partially torn ligaments, and misaligned joints rom landing a jump badly about three months earlier), so that bothered me a lot, but nothing new. You'll be sore at the end of the day though...everyone ices at night and basically lives off of ibuprofen and Icy Hot.
- Describe your favorite teacher. Loved Bruce Thornton and Tanya Doporcyk. Bruce was so funny and just had a way of getting through to you on things, and Tanya was the same way. Also was blessed enough to have Marcia herself once a week. I loved all of the teachers though, they're all wonderful.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yup! Coffee talks in one of the lounges.

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No.
- What was your piece like? Not applicable.
- Did your family and friends come? N/A, although they were allowed to observe class with permission if they were in the area.

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? I'm really shy, so I was amazed at how much fun I had away from home and how many close friends I made. I was so comfortable there and I'm more independent because of it.
- What disappointed you? Honestly, leaving is the hardest part. I was in absolute hysterics the last day.
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing! Just don't waste any time being homesick.
- What is your best memory? All the nights spent in the dorm with my friends.
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I definitely push myself harder now.
- Would you do another SI? Yes!

- Include anything you think I've forgotten to ask about
By behindbarres Comments: 84, member since Sun Mar 30, 2014
On Sun Dec 21, 2014 03:33 PM
Oregon Ballet Theatre

Getting ready:
- Where are you from? New England
- How old are you? 14
- How long have you danced? 1 year when I went to the intensive, 1.4 years in total
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Oregon Ballet Theatre
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Yes, I used to live there.
- How did you get there? On a plane by myself
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I have never bee to an intensive before this one.
- How long did you go for? I was in oregon for 6 weeks, but at the program for 4 weeks
- What were your daily classes? ballet, pointe, conditioning yoga, wardrobe and other workshops, modern/ improv, mime, turns and jumps,etc.
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? mainly ballet
- Did you have a dress code? any color leotard, pink tights, hair in a bun
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes, even with my super flexible feet I surprisingly only went through two pairs!
- Did you know anyone? nope, but I made a ton of friends

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? I lived with my sister
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I packed too may normal clothes, I rarely wore them! Pack a few outfits and then pack lots of things to go over your leotard!
- Did you make any new friends? yes!
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? I got to spend time with my sister
- Were you homesick? nope

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? not really
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? yes
- What was the best advice you received? to not push back on my hyperextended knees in first position
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? bigger class, more strict. They didn't "touch" or yell as much as my normal teacher does, but they did correct everyone.
- What are some new things you have to work on? my turnout
- What triumphs did you have? nothing in particular, but I realized I improved a TON when I got home
- Were there special guest teachers? yes, lots! people like Africa Guzman and Lisa Sundstrom
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? repertoire
- Did you get an injury? :( no, but I got sick for one day
- Describe your favorite teacher. Her name was Gavin, she stayed after class to help me and she always corrected me. She is also an amazing dancer herself.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? We watched a lot of movies in my level (3)! Also nutrition and dance history lectures

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much I improved, also the new teachers
- What disappointed you? They were very reluctant to let me wear my russian pointes (they want freeds) I bought the freeds but they didn't work for me.
- What would you do differently if you could? pack less street clothes! also to not be so disappointed in myself when I could't do something very well.
- What is your best memory? hanging out and going to lunch with my friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I'm a lot more encouraged
- Would you do another SI? of course!
By erin01 Comments: 4, member since Tue Aug 12, 2014
On Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? VA
- How old are you? I was 12 when I went
- How long have you danced? Now about 3 years, then, 2 1/2
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet(en pointe)
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.)Boston Ballet SDP Newton
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Not for a long time, but yes
- How did you get there? Drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? This was my first one, no
- What were your daily classes? Tech., pointe, character, modern, stretch&strengthen, pilates
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? other
- Did you have a dress code? solid color leo, pink tights, they didn't really care though
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Technically no, but we had already ordered another pair and my parents shipped them to me
- Did you know anyone? Not when I got there

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? Kind of.. maybe 15-20 mins
- What was your roommate like? Okay, sometimes annoying
- Were you allowed to have a computer? no, we couldn't even keep our phones!
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? Kind of
- Did you make any new friends? YES!!!!
- Did you decorate your room? A little bit
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? Not much, I like the idea but at this program, it wasn't great
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? THE DINNER DANCE CRUISE!(IF YOU GO, SIGN UP)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? No phones until the weekend
- How was the food? Pretty bad, pasta with tomato sauch pretty much every night, lots of bagels and salad
- Were you homesick? Not really
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Birthday parties, lots of eating in the dorms

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not too much
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? A little bit, they were more Balanchine than I am used to (I train Vaganova)
- What was the best advice you received? Tips on en dedans turns from Ms. Young
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes?
- What are some new things you have to work on? Turns
- What triumphs did you have? En dedans turns
- Were there special guest teachers? Just a couple, I can't remember their names
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No
- Did you get an injury? No
- Describe your favorite teacher. Not sure who my favorite was
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? No

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? No
- What was your piece like? N/A
- Did your family and friends come? They came for the parents observation

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Not sure
- What disappointed you? Food, teachers
- What would you do differently if you could? Write down all my corrections
- What is your best memory? Dinner dance cruise
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? Not really any
- Would you do another SI? Yes! I'm doing PNB this year probably
By minniebmilo Comments: 1, member since Sun Jan 06, 2013
On Wed Jan 28, 2015 08:14 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? Central NY
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? since I was very young
- What types of dances do you study? ballet, pointe, tap, modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) American Academy of Ballet, Purchase NY
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? I live in the state, but I had never been to the SUNY Purchase campus before
- How did you get there? car
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? yes, the year before I went to Nutmeg. No, I haven't been to this intensive
- How long did you go for? only 1 week- it was their technique intensive
- What were your daily classes? the day was basically like a deconstructed ballet class. First we would have a regular ballet class, but after that for the rest of the day we would have shorter, 45ish minute classes in port de bras, turns, jumps, petit allegro, grand allegro, etc. The last class of the day was variations for the show
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? all ballet for the technique intensive, but for the rest of the summer i believe they teach jazz and flamenco too
- Did you have a dress code? black leotards, pastel on wednesday
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? yes, I only needed one. Variations was the only class on pointe
- Did you know anyone? someone from Nutmeg was there, but I didn't know he was going to be there, and we didn't talk much

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? two minute walk
- What was your roommate like? she was very quiet, we got along well but hardly ever talked
- Were you allowed to have a computer? yes. there is no wifi in the dorms, only an Ethernet port. The ethernet outlet was behind my roommate's bed, and I had a very short cord. Also, she didn't bring a computer so I thought it might be weird
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? yes, but make sure to bring a pastel leotard that you like a lot. Some of the studios have very bad air conditioning so you sweat a lot
- Did you make any new friends? not really
- Did you decorate your room? no
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? dorm life was really boring honestly. My roommate and I didn't really talk, there was no wifi, and no one seemed to leave their rooms either. social life goes there to die
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? we didn't do anything like that, because it was so short
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? there weren't many rules I don't think, but the dorm was so quiet and everyone stayed in their rooms we didn't really need rules
- How was the food? very good for intensive food. a restaurant caters it
- Were you homesick? no
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? no, I loved having teachers of all different styles and from all over the world
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? my teacher at home doesn't have a specific style, and these teachers each teach a different style
- What was the best advice you received? how to dance smoothly in petit allegro
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? well the teachers are obviously a lot better, and also all of the different styles. Plus having the specific classes
- What are some new things you have to work on? breathing while I dance, picking up choreography
- What triumphs did you have? nothing specific comes to mind, but I definitely improved a lot just in that one week
- Were there special guest teachers? no, but I think there are in the regular intensive
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? not really
- Did you get an injury? no
- Describe your favorite teacher. I had 3. One man from Antwerp who I liked because he taught Vaganova, my favorite technique. McCree O'Kelly, who is a dancer for NYCB. I liked him because he was so perky and made class really fun. The last man was the one who taught me how to dance smoothly in petit allegro. He just had such an unusual take on ballet
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? yes
- What was your piece like? each level did a waltz and a variation. I can't remember what our waltz was, but our variation was the Coppelia and Friends one
- Did your family and friends come? my parents

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much I enjoyed ballet. I usually get tired of it and crave modern or jazz. I think it was the variety of styles and classes that kept me interested
- What disappointed you? how short it was. by the last day my roommate and I, and our classmates were just starting to have fun together!
- What would you do differently if you could? make more of an effort to talk to my roommate
- What is your best memory?
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing?
- Would you do another SI?
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:29 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? California
- How old are you? 16
- How long have you danced? around 10 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and Modern
- Where did you go? LA, California
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? Not this area of California
- How did you get there? I flew
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Yes Have you been to THIS program before? No
- How long did you go for? One month
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, Modern, Rep, Jazz, sometimes pilates, student choreography
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Equally ballet and modern
- Did you have a dress code? Any leo with pink tights for ballet, anything for modern
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes
- Did you know anyone? Yes, one person

If you lived there:
- Did you live in dorms or with a host family? In dorms
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, a short walk across campus
- What was your roommate like? One of my roommates I had known previously, the other two I didn't know at all and were nice but i didn't interact much with them
- Did you pack wisely in retrospect? I would have packed more cute/non-dance clothes
- Did you make any new friends? YES, SOME OF THE GREATEST FRIENDSHIPS
- Did you decorate your room? No
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms? Relative freedom and complete immersion in the life there
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity? The showing of Rocky Horror (everyone got super into it)
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? Very strict curfew
- How was the food? TERRIBLE
- Were you homesick? No
Most of my friends were not dancers, and we had a lot of fun watching movies and goofing around in empty classrooms

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? Not too much
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? Much higher expectations to learn choreography VERY quickly
- What triumphs did you have? Getting much faster at picking up choreography
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes, Gregory Dawson
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Partnering that was very athletic and out of my comfort zone
- Did you get an injury? My shin splints came back because the floors were not sprung
- Describe your favorite teacher.
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Yes

Performance:
- What was your piece like? I was in about seven pieces, all very different modern pieces and one pointe piece
- Did your family and friends come? It was for CSSSA students and staff only, so no

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? The amazing friends I made
- What disappointed you? The food
- What would you do differently if you could? Nothing, it was perfect
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? How damn difficult it is to be a professional dancer
- Would you do another SI? No, nothing can exceed it

The California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA) is the most amazing, life changing program out there. You are rooming and socializing with all of the other disciplines. HIGHLY recommended for anyone equally focused on ballet and modern.
By miareiland Comments: 12, member since Wed Jan 06, 2016
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 07:29 PM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? NYC
- How old are you? 12
- How long have you danced? 4 Years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) BBASI In CT, USA
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? I drove
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? Yes to both
- How long did you go for? 3 Weeks
- What were your daily classes? Ballet, pointe, repertoire, character
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? Primarily ballet
- Did you have a dress code? Yes
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? Yes, more than enough
- Did you know anyone? No

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No, it was all on the same campus
- What was your roommate like? She was OK, not great. She was younger than me so it was a bit awkward
- Did you make any new friends? Yes
- Did you decorate your room? A bit
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? The food was actually really good!
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? There weren't really that many activities
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? 9:30 curfew
- How was the food? really good!
- Were you homesick? Yes, a bit
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. Going back home to NYC was really fun!

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? A bit.
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? Not really
- What was the best advice you received? Always feel in arabesque like someone is pulling your leg away from you.
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? a bit more rigorous
- What are some new things you have to work on? my turnout and calf strength
- What triumphs did you have? My extensions got much higher!
- Were there special guest teachers? No
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? No
- Did you get an injury? :( Yes
- Describe your favorite teacher. He was the dean of partnering at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? Nope

Performance:
- What was your piece like? It was a variation from a small, not well known ballet
- Did your family and friends come? Yes!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? Nothing was really that surprising
- What disappointed you? There weren't many activities outside of dance
- What would you do differently if you could? Be more careful and not injure myself!
- What is your best memory? Getting put in the front and center of our performance piece!
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? N/A
- Would you do another SI? Yes!

By SydnieBallerina Comments: 20, member since Mon Jun 13, 2016
On Fri Jul 29, 2016 05:49 PM
- I'm from southern New Jersey.

- I'm 12 years old.

- I've been dancing for around 7 years, but seriously for about a little over a year.

- I study ballet, and I used to study lyrical and jazz.

- I went to the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, in Carlisle, Pennsylvania (USA).

- I have never been to Carlisle, or attended any CPYB course.

- I got there by car, and it was around a three 1/2 hour drive.

- I have been to dance intensives before, but by no means, they were not nearly as big or as prestigious as CPYB.

- I went or the five week program.

- The schedule was: 90 minute technique class, 90 minute technique class, one hour pointe class, 35 minute supplemental class (I had to leave early to get to my night class), and an hour and fifteen minute technique class.

- We did ballet, unless you attended supplemental classes, which were hip-hop and modern. I don't remember the other classes offered. There may have been musical theatre.

- The dress code depends on your level:

B1 - B9: black leotards, (cap sleeve, or just very plain) tights, and pink/black ballet shoes. Any type of pointe shoes.

Level C1 wears ribbons because it is a prodigy level.

Level C2-C9: black leotards, (cap sleeve, or just very plain) tights, and pink/black ballet shoes. Any type of pointe shoes.

Level D1-E2: Black/blue leotards, pink tights, pink/black ballet slippers, but everyone wears pink ballet slippers from essentially B3+

Level E3-E4: Any solid color plain leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoes.

- I did pack enough pointe shoes (one per week).

- I knew two girls from my home studio.

- I lived in the dorms.

- 15-17 minute walk from the dorm to the warehouse. The barn is off-campus, so a bus takes you from the warehouse to the barn.

- My roommate was... interesting. I don't want to get into specific details, but we were distant because our schedules were complete opposites.

- You were allowed to have a computer, however, it was highly discouraged due to the fact that it is very easy to lose things the when staying in college dorms (Dickinson campus).

- I actually overpacked. I didn't use 25% of the things I packed!

- I actually made a few really amazing friends. Everyone was so highly concentrated on ballet that everything was kind of cool to make a friend when you have a crazy schedule during the day!

- I didn't decorate my room. However, everyone I know did.

- There were absolutely no good things about living in the dorms! The walk was brutal, and the rooms were small. Almost everyone I knew didn't like their roommate.

- I didn't sign up for the dorm activities $250 package. I probably would've liked the Hershey park trip the best. We did do some small activities like going to Walmart and seeing Finding Dory. It was a lot of fun. To clarify, you don't have to do activities like that (seeing movies, Walmart). Obviously, meetings in and outside the dorms were mandatory, lectures (we had one), talent show, and in-dorm activities were. I hated all of those, and I can't really pick a favorite one! Haha!

- My absolute least favorite residence hall rule was that you have to walk in a group of three if you're thirteen and under. 14+ walk in groups of two. This made for very difficult times getting places. People got stuck all the time, and you would have to ask a dorm advisor to call the RA (residential advisor) on call to come and get you.

- The food was okay. It was really good for college food. There was a vegan and Kosher bar.

- I did get homesick, and I don't know anyone who wasn't!

- I loved going to Helena's which is a creperie. It was soon much fun, as they have the best macaroons and crepes!

- I personally didn't struggle adjusting to most of the studios and faculty. Many of the girls were kind of challenged by the teachers blunt comments. I can only speak for myself.

- I learned a very fast Russian style of ballet. I take Vaganova, however, this was so much faster than Vaganova! It was different, but I don't think its for me, as there are very rapid and strange combinations!

- The best advice that I received dance wise was to stop pulling back on the barre. I'd never even realized I was doing it! The best advice I received life-wise was to dance because I love it, not to impress. That was told to me by a friend, but that was the best life-advice I received while I was there. (Not sure if that counts, haha!)

- The class and teaching styles are different then mine at home because the teachers truly give higher-level corrections. They can analyze 20 people and pick out all of their ballet flaws from one combination! I love the analyzation from the teachers on that. Also, the class was different and so was the teaching style, because the teachers covered all the ballet basics, even in short classes. We got to everything at the barre, like: ron de jambe, passes, tendus, plies, ron de jambes, port de bras, releves, dégagés, piques, etc.

- I now realized that I have to work on my posture, my knees, and stopping pulling back on the barre, as I mentioned earlier.

- The triumph that I had was that I really improved my fondus, tendus, and plies. It was truly a great moment for me when I realized how much my hard work paid off for those three elements.

- There were guest teachers, such as: Ashley Bouder, Vanessa Zahorian, Ian Hussey, Gabby Baltrushnas (she's from my home studio, and on the program, it says "Gabby Yudenich", so I'm not sure how she spells the last name. That's just what I'm assuming), and many more. Those were just the ones that I heard of. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of them.

- I didn't have partnering.

- I did severely hurt my hip, my neck was bothering my excruciatingly, the veins on my foot were popping out abnormally, and my bunion pain got worse. Those were not necessarily injuries, but, I did have to sit out for several days from my hip.

- My favorite teacher was Miss Karen Erikkson-Lee, and she was amazing. I loved how she corrected everything, but, she made the class fun. You could improve in her class. same for Miss Suzanne Smith.

- There was one dance-related lecture about body image. That was about it.

- There was no show at the end.

- Overall, I was surprised how much I improved. I definitely didn't think that I would be at this level at the end of the program.

- I was disappointed by some of the teachers not being as great as the school advertised. I'm not going to say names, since I never know who is reading this, but don't think that some teachers will be all that when you get there. However, most of them are incredible. There is really only on teacher who I was told by everyone there she is not that amazing as she makes herself out to be. It's not Marcia, if that's what you're thinking! She is incredible.

- I would not make any complaints about teachers to other students. The program helped me in the end, and I actually realized how whiny I was!

- My best memory is having class withe Miss Tanya Doporcyk for the first time. I had so much fun in that class!

- My new perspective on dancing is that goals are achieved through hard work and determination.

- I absolutely would do another summer intensive at CPYB!

HOPE THIS HELPS! Good luck!
By SydnieBallerina Comments: 20, member since Mon Jun 13, 2016
On Fri Jul 29, 2016 05:51 PM
- I'm from southern New Jersey.

- I'm 12 years old.

- I've been dancing for around 7 years, but seriously for about a little over a year.

- I study ballet, and I used to study lyrical and jazz.

- I went to the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, in Carlisle, Pennsylvania (USA).

- I have never been to Carlisle, or attended any CPYB course.

- I got there by car, and it was around a three 1/2 hour drive.

- I have been to dance intensives before, but by no means, they were not nearly as big or as prestigious as CPYB.

- I went or the five week program.

- The schedule was: 90 minute technique class, 90 minute technique class, one hour pointe class, 35 minute supplemental class (I had to leave early to get to my night class), and an hour and fifteen minute technique class.

- We did ballet, unless you attended supplemental classes, which were hip-hop and modern. I don't remember the other classes offered. There may have been musical theatre.

- The dress code depends on your level:

B1 - B9: black leotards, (cap sleeve, or just very plain) tights, and pink/black ballet shoes. Any type of pointe shoes.

Level C1 wears ribbons because it is a prodigy level.

Level C2-C9: black leotards, (cap sleeve, or just very plain) tights, and pink/black ballet shoes. Any type of pointe shoes.

Level D1-E2: Black/blue leotards, pink tights, pink/black ballet slippers, but everyone wears pink ballet slippers from essentially B3+

Level E3-E4: Any solid color plain leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoes.

- I did pack enough pointe shoes (one per week).

- I knew two girls from my home studio.

- I lived in the dorms.

- 15-17 minute walk from the dorm to the warehouse. The barn is off-campus, so a bus takes you from the warehouse to the barn.

- My roommate was... interesting. I don't want to get into specific details, but we were distant because our schedules were complete opposites.

- You were allowed to have a computer, however, it was highly discouraged due to the fact that it is very easy to lose things the when staying in college dorms (Dickinson campus).

- I actually overpacked. I didn't use 25% of the things I packed!

- I actually made a few really amazing friends. Everyone was so highly concentrated on ballet that everything was kind of cool to make a friend when you have a crazy schedule during the day!

- I didn't decorate my room. However, everyone I know did.

- There were absolutely no good things about living in the dorms! The walk was brutal, and the rooms were small. Almost everyone I knew didn't like their roommate.

- I didn't sign up for the dorm activities $250 package. I probably would've liked the Hershey park trip the best. We did do some small activities like going to Walmart and seeing Finding Dory. It was a lot of fun. To clarify, you don't have to do activities like that (seeing movies, Walmart). Obviously, meetings in and outside the dorms were mandatory, lectures (we had one), talent show, and in-dorm activities were. I hated all of those, and I can't really pick a favorite one! Haha!

- My absolute least favorite residence hall rule was that you have to walk in a group of three if you're thirteen and under. 14+ walk in groups of two. This made for very difficult times getting places. People got stuck all the time, and you would have to ask a dorm advisor to call the RA (residential advisor) on call to come and get you.

- The food was okay. It was really good for college food. There was a vegan and Kosher bar.

- I did get homesick, and I don't know anyone who wasn't!

- I loved going to Helena's which is a creperie. It was soon much fun, as they have the best macaroons and crepes!

- I personally didn't struggle adjusting to most of the studios and faculty. Many of the girls were kind of challenged by the teachers blunt comments. I can only speak for myself.

- I learned a very fast Russian style of ballet. I take Vaganova, however, this was so much faster than Vaganova! It was different, but I don't think its for me, as there are very rapid and strange combinations!

- The best advice that I received dance wise was to stop pulling back on the barre. I'd never even realized I was doing it! The best advice I received life-wise was to dance because I love it, not to impress. That was told to me by a friend, but that was the best life-advice I received while I was there. (Not sure if that counts, haha!)

- The class and teaching styles are different then mine at home because the teachers truly give higher-level corrections. They can analyze 20 people and pick out all of their ballet flaws from one combination! I love the analyzation from the teachers on that. Also, the class was different and so was the teaching style, because the teachers covered all the ballet basics, even in short classes. We got to everything at the barre, like: ron de jambe, passes, tendus, plies, ron de jambes, port de bras, releves, dégagés, piques, etc.

- I now realized that I have to work on my posture, my knees, and stopping pulling back on the barre, as I mentioned earlier.

- The triumph that I had was that I really improved my fondus, tendus, and plies. It was truly a great moment for me when I realized how much my hard work paid off for those three elements.

- There were guest teachers, such as: Ashley Bouder, Vanessa Zahorian, Ian Hussey, Gabby Baltrushnas (she's from my home studio, and on the program, it says "Gabby Yudenich", so I'm not sure how she spells the last name. That's just what I'm assuming), and many more. Those were just the ones that I heard of. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of them.

- I didn't have partnering.

- I did severely hurt my hip, my neck was bothering my excruciatingly, the veins on my foot were popping out abnormally, and my bunion pain got worse. Those were not necessarily injuries, but, I did have to sit out for several days from my hip.

- My favorite teacher was Miss Karen Erikkson-Lee, and she was amazing. I loved how she corrected everything, but, she made the class fun. You could improve in her class. same for Miss Suzanne Smith.

- There was one dance-related lecture about body image. That was about it.

- There was no show at the end.

- Overall, I was surprised how much I improved. I definitely didn't think that I would be at this level at the end of the program.

- I was disappointed by some of the teachers not being as great as the school advertised. I'm not going to say names, since I never know who is reading this, but don't think that some teachers will be all that when you get there. However, most of them are incredible. There is really only on teacher who I was told by everyone there she is not that amazing as she makes herself out to be. It's not Marcia, if that's what you're thinking! She is incredible.

- I would not make any complaints about teachers to other students. The program helped me in the end, and I actually realized how whiny I was!

- My best memory is having class withe Miss Tanya Doporcyk for the first time. I had so much fun in that class!

- My new perspective on dancing is that goals are achieved through hard work and determination.

- I absolutely would do another summer intensive at CPYB!

HOPE THIS HELPS! Good luck!
By so_devine Comments: 5, member since Thu Feb 16, 2017
On Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:30 AM
Getting ready:
- Where are you from? South Carolina
- How old are you? 13
- How long have you danced? 5 years
- What types of dances do you study? Ballet and Modern
- Where did you go? (include state, province, country, etc.) Burklyn Ballet Theatre in Vermont
- Had you ever been to this city, state, province, or country before? No
- How did you get there? I drove from visiting friends in Massachusetts
- Have you ever been to an intensive before? Have you been to THIS program before? I had never been to either before!
- How long did you go for? 3 weeks, they have a 6 week period where you choose which weeks you want to go and how long you want to go for.
- What were your daily classes? Modern/Variations/Character, then Ballet, then Pointe, then Rehearsals
- Did you study primarily ballet or other disciplines too? We had a class that changes every week. The first week it was Variations, the second was Modern, the third was Character
- Did you have a dress code? Each day of the week is a different color (or else you can just wear black) Monday = Blue Tuesday = Green Wednesday = Red/Pink Thursday = Purple Friday = ANY!
- Did you pack enough pointe shoes? My mom sent me another pair for the last week but I never ended up using them
- Did you know anyone? No, but I ended up making a lot of friends still.

If you lived there:
- Did you have to travel far from the dorm to get to class? No! It was all on the campus of Johnson State College in Vermont and everything was like a 1 minute walk from each other
- What was your roommate like? She was really nice and we would listen to music together in the mornings
- Were you allowed to have a computer? I think so but I don't know of anyone who brought one
- Did you make any new friends? Yes!
- Did you decorate your room? Yeah. I brought some fuzzy pillows for my bed and a tiny fuzzy rug
- What was the best thing about living in the dorms or away from home? We would all hang out in the common area of the dorms in the evenings and eat ice cream
- What was your favorite dorm activity or recreational activity (theatre, baseball games, shopping)? We got to go to the Ben and Jerry's Factory!
- What was your least favorite residence hall rule? We had to be in the common area by 10 and our dorm rooms by 10:30
- How was the food? Really really good actually! They had a lot of options
- Were you homesick? For the first 24 hours but after that I had so much fun!
- Describe some of your fun/crazy non-dancing times with new friends. We were eating cookies in the common room after our performance and some girls tried to do the drum dance from le bayadere while eating cookies and everyone died laughing it was so funny.

Class:
- Did you struggle with adjusting to the new studio and faculty? The first day was a little scary but I loved the rest of it!
- Was this a different method of ballet than you're accustomed to? No
- What was the best advice you received? To use my inner thighs
- How are the classes/teaching styles different from your regular classes? They weren't
- What are some new things you have to work on? turns on pointe
- What triumphs did you have? Doing partnering for the first time
- Were there special guest teachers? Yes! We had new teachers every week
- Did you try anything totally new, like partnering? Yes! We had partnering once a week.
- Did you get an injury? :( No
- Describe your favorite teacher. We had Peter Merz one week who was AMAZING!
- Were there any dance-related lectures or movies shown in the evenings? no

Performance:
- Was there a show at the end? There was a show each week!
- What was your piece like? The first week we did an excerpt of Le Corsaire, the second week we did the garland waltz from Sleeping Beauty, and the last week we did Jardin Anime from Le Corsaire
- Did your family and friends come? for the last week!

Overall:
- What surprised you the most? how much I improved
- What disappointed you? when I had to leave!
- What would you do differently if you could? go for a longer time
- What is your best memory? hanging out with my friends
- What new perspectives do you have on your dancing? I realize little things that I can improve
- Would you do another SI? yes!
Page:
Page 8 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch