Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team??
By soloboy16
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 02:21 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-09-03 15:20:21 Edited mild netspeak.

what do you guys think of a trying out for a dance team??

33 Replies to what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team??

re: what do u think of a guy trying out for a dance team??
By dancingrl247
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:52 PM
im totally fine with it! i have some guys at my studio but so far none have tried out for my dance team at school.i think guys add a lot to routines because then you can do partner work and lifts.
By Startwirler98
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 05:15 PM
I have no problem with it. We had a boy in our dance class, he didn't try out for dance team but he was in the class. He was amazing, better thens ome of the girls!! So, I say go ahead to any boy wanting to try out. Good Luck!

Crystal
By spoiled_dancer22
On Sat Sep 03, 2005 02:30 PM
Go for it!Their is a boy on our dance team and the rest are girls. There is nothing wrong with it. If there is something wrong with it, it is discrimination.
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team??
By Darkstar3829
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 08:32 PM
k first of all i totaly think that it's all cool n stuff cauuse u don't see many guy dancers trying out for dance teams nad i think that it would want more boys to want to dance and all i have a 10 year old brother and he dances he loves it to death, danceing is his life, and so i say do what u want

Darkstar3829
Boys For Dance!
By sunraydance
On Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:08 PM
I think it's wonderful that you are interested in being on a dance team. Having guys on a team opens the door for creativity. Go for it, I think it's great!!!!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 23, 2005 03:48 PM
We had a guy on our dance team last year. At first we were like..."How is this going to work?" Because we had in the past used "girly" songs. But we tried something new and the judges at State LOVED it! And the school loved it too! It brought more spirit and rspect onto the team.
By KicksElitePoms
On Sun Oct 23, 2005 07:23 PM
I'm fine with it. Unless:

There was a guy on my dance team a few years back and every dance revolved around him. It was kind of annoying, and he was the one who ended up with all the attention and scholarships when he wasn't as good as any of the girls.

And unless the guy ruins the routines. If we can't do anything really jazzy-girly stylized or a shimmy or have to be picky about the music just to try and make it masculine, I would get annoyed.

Otherwise it's fine!
By darn_meg
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 06:40 AM
I think it depends on how many boys are on the team. I there's only one boy I don't really think that boys should do it because the choreography would be a total disaster, but if there are at least two guys onthe team the lifts would look great having one girl lifted on each side. And I think if there is only one boy the attention will always be around him and I wouldn't like the thought of that!
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team?? (karma: 3)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:27 AM
Wow, that's really selfish. Some guy should have to forgo getting a dance education because meg would be uncomfortable with it.

If we were talking about a girl trying out for an all-male football team, and someone said, "I don't think we should let a girl on the team because all the attention would be on her." I think your attitude would probably be very different.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 03:57 PM
"I there's only one boy I don't really think that boys should do it because the choreography would be a total "

We had one boy on our dance team and it wasn't a total diaster at all. Itwas the most successful year we have had. Sure, it took some adapting, but calling it a diaster would be utterly wrong.
By elisalovesyoumember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 04:24 PM
I think its fine! We have guys on our team...Well actually we dont because im in middle school and guys dont want to but at our highschool there is alot of guys..!

~eLiSa~
By luv2plie
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 09:36 PM
I would think it would be kool to have guys on a dance team. The routine can be amazing!

Kev
By luv2plie
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 09:38 PM
I would think it would be kool to have guys on a dance team. The routine can be amazing!

Kev
By KicksElitePoms
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:28 PM
If there was more than one guy, it would be realllllly cool. I'd love that. But if there were only one and we had to to adapt all our choreography and music to him, it would be a bit annoying.

But 'panic', as a response to your football comment, football is not a show. A dance routine is a performance that is judged, not won with no questions asked. A boy on the team is going to be slightly controversial with judges, and they will pay extra attention to the way he dances, so he'd better be awesome.
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team?? (karma: 1)
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 04:21 PM
Well I think that attitude sucks. And just for the record, judges are NOT allowed to take gender into consideration. I've worked with lots of judging associations and they ALL have anti-discrimination policies just like every other company in the world.

I also find your assumption the a guy might not dance as well as a girl rather offensive. Just because YOU would be inconvenienced, that's not a reason to discriminate against all men. And having a more stringent standard for boys compared to girls is just plain unfair. If a girl on your team is a crappy dancer, a competent judge will account for that the same as if you had a crappy boy on your team. Gender has nothing to do with it.
By KicksElitePoms
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 06:43 PM
Panic, I think I misworded myself.

I meant that seeing a boy on a dance team is not as common, so it's completely natural (not purposeful) for both the audience and judges to watch him. I never meant that a boy would not be as talented as girls, but in the case that he is not (as I have definitely experienced a couple times) it did bring the team's score down. With a less talented girl, she is noticed, for sure, but not watched nearly as much.

That's just my opinion :).
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:07 AM
Well, thank goodness you're not a judge.

That's just my opinion :)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:08 PM
Panic, I think she knows more than you. I mean she *is* an elite pom that kicks, duh, look at her name!

In any event, after I left my highschool they got a boy on the dance team, and I was quite jealous. He wasn't as "good" as some of the girls on the team, but it added a nice dynamic, and I don't see how having a competent boy dancer on the team could be bad. Boys have enough trouble being accepted into the dance team world, we don't need people telling them that they stand out more because they're a guy, they already know that. If a judge can't take everyone's dancing into account, they shouldn't be judging.
By butters
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 03:26 PM
not from the dancing perspective but from the actual team dynamic, I think it would completely throw off MY teams dynamic. Just the way practices would be run, and the way we would deal with each other in general would be different because there was a boy. We're pretty wierd on our team, we compare boobs, tak about butts, slap each other in various areas of the body.- that's just how we interact, it's funny. Having a guy would completely throw everything off. We could no longer be our selves, because then it would be innappropriate. And yes i agree a single boy would be a distraction, just like if there was just a single girl dancing with all boys. It would be cool if a mixture were on a team though. But hey, it's your decision, i don't know how the girls act on the team at your school, but we're pretty crazy so watch out-lol. Follow your heart:)
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 09:20 PM
Whatever. That's the same reason they didn't let women in the military for hundreds of years. I don't think that kind of discrimination is fair. Of course, I'm a guy who teaches dance team, so I might have a little chip on my shoulder. But still.
By BuTt_Er_FlYdAnCe
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:46 PM
i think that is a great idea my dance team has 2 guys on it and we still talk about boobs and butts it depends on how you would feel about the girls on your team talking about girl stuff compared to guys talking about guys stuff but my dance team gets along great with the guys on our dance team its a great way to get guy advice since its from a guy and they come to us for advice about the girl walking in the hall that they cant take there eyes off of.If you get along with the girls on you team things will be great but weather you get along with them or not dont let them decide your faite dancing is not only about performance it gives you a feeling of freedom a Feeling noone can take away from you so good luck
Hope i Helped

BuTt_Er_FlYdAnCe :)
On Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:10 AM
oh no, not... BOYS *giggles*

Could you be more selfish butters? How do you think guys feel knowing that they can't try out for something they love doing because a few prissy girls can't handle being around boys. Grow up... or become a nun.
By butters
On Fri Jan 20, 2006 02:44 PM
Edited by butters (123154) on 2006-01-20 14:47:49
Wow! are you kidding me? I'm seriously laughing, wait give me a minute...ok, hooray4jj, I'm definately not prissy. I've grown up with boys all my life, I only live with boys, and i only have guy friends. But at dance that's were i have my gal friends and we talk about the most outragous most vile things, that i know any of my guy friends would hurl if the subject was even brought up. I don't think it's selfish of me to say i think it would be akward, because it's MY opinion. I never said a boy couldn't try out, i just said it would be a little wierd at first, and we'd all have to adjust our behavior. Because i wouldn't want him to feel uncomfortable or us to feel uncomfortable. So, i don't know exactly what you think is selfish. Plus this perspective only applies to MY TEAM, if i were on another team i would definately say yes it's completely fine. I don't care what people want to do with their lives, do what makes you most happy. I was just bringing forth another perspective on the issue, which anyone who desires to do anything, should look at the matter from all points of view, and experience it themselves in order to create an accurate perspective. Thank you and goodnight.
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:56 AM
I said you were being selfish because you implied that somehow it is this poor boys fault that you can't chit chat about "outrageous" things because a male is present during DANCE TIME. Thank heavens I am not your coach, because, well, I like to focus on dancing instead of talking and making people feel left out. Your logic just doesn't make sense. It is ok for another team, but not yours because you don't want things to change? Not accepting something because it might require change is being selfish
self·ish (slfsh)adj.
1. Concerned chiefly or only with oneself

The fact that you are not showing any concern for the fact that a boy has a right to be on your team no matter what the current team dynamic is, is being selfish. If you look at it from an outsiders perspective, you just plain aren't being nice. Not wanting someone to join any sort of group because it might be inconvenient for you is selfish. No need to thank me, I would just suggest losing some of your attitude, it won't get you anywhere.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch