Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team?? (karma: 3)
By VeniciaDansaPremium member
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:35 AM
I can understand that adding in ANY new person to a close knit group would be ackward (male, female, older, younger what have you)... But- hey, that is life.
Your close little girly group perhaps needs a bit of spice- I would entertain the thought of a new person as EXCITING.
In so far as being able to talk about obscene things and spanking each other... well- why not just do as the guys do? Wait for the changeroom- then talk obnoxiously about each other, sex, boobs... guys etc. That, my friend, is EXACTLY what guys do on teams.
Save the chit-chat for the locker room... practise on the field- with no discrimination towards any team-mate.

In so far as a foot ball team not being competitive... to the poster waaaa y above-- sorry dear- a played has as much to lose for himself and his team if he doesn't keep up, play fair and be a TEAM PLAYER. Just because your dance team has a judge... and you get a trophy and whatnot after your competitions- doesn't mean what you do is more important or more difficult than playing a team sport. (Aside from the fact that cheerleading and danceteams originated from CHEERING on the sports teams). Any team player can tell you, that they want their team/school/university to win- they play hard, they practise hard... they have to make an immpression on the Finders- in order to get a position on the next team or go pro. They need to make an impression to get a scholarship...

If dance has whined soooo much about 'sports, sports, sports' and that "we don't get anywhere near the attention as sports"... etc- why be so bloody competitive? Why not see allll the similarities and choose to be AS accepting as necessary to PROMOTE your chosen field of activity? Why not demonstrate TEAM SPIRIT by being a team?
We all work hard to get where we are- some start later, some are 'boys' some are 'girls',... some have natural talent, some have to bust their butts to be as good (and often better).

Why not listen to someone who actually teaches teams- like Panic? An JJ nailed it on the head with the 'selfish' definition.. the is no 'I' in TEAM...
Go-Go-Go... Rah-Rah-Rah!
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team??
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 06:24 PM
I would dearly love to see one guy here in our area try out. He is from Old Mexico. He studied salsa and all those wonderful dance forms - and the boy can do steps.

My daughter who is a junior this year was at a prom practice and her partner was gone for the night, so she got to practice with this kid. Both of them don't want to go back to their orignal partners now.

By all means I think the idea is wonderful! I love to watch guys in a dance. They do tend to steal the show - but what a show!!!

TEAM_MOM
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 07:43 AM
I'm really excited for this kid my daughter is working with. Understand that we live in an area where there are no male dancers or cheerleaders at the high school level. NONE! NADA!

This young man has gone to the principle of the high school, and the cheer advisor. He is determined. They are going to let him try out for the cheer squad. He got the okay.

My daughter (who is a dancer) is meeting with him again this morning along with one of the cheerleaders from this years squad to teach him some of the cheers.

This is going to blow cheerleading and dance right out of the water in our small hick town. I'm excited!!!! The studio director here is allowing them all to meet at the dance studio. This guy is gaining so much support. I'm thrilled!
guy trying out for dance team
By xoxodancexoxo
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 02:16 PM
I think that it would be great for a guy to try out!! why would anyone dissagree with that.
By TexasBallerina15
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 07:59 PM
I think its a good thing for the most part it makes routines more original and you can do a lot of fun things but be careful not to let it become the center of attention ( the fact of the guy on the dance team )
By KicksElitePoms
On Tue Feb 21, 2006 03:41 PM
'so far as a foot ball team not being competitive... to the poster waaaa y above-- sorry dear- a played has as much to lose for himself and his team if he doesn't keep up, play fair and be a TEAM PLAYER. Just because your dance team has a judge... and you get a trophy and whatnot after your competitions- doesn't mean what you do is more important or more difficult than playing a team sport. (Aside from the fact that cheerleading and danceteams originated from CHEERING on the sports teams). '

I never said football wasn't competitive. I meant football is a type of sport that isn't judged- a touchdown is a touchdown and that's that, a ref can't deny it. A dance competition, however, is completely different. One judge may say the team had beautiful turning technique and another may say their turns were sloppy. Football and dance scores are decided completely different ways.

Anyway- back to the guy thing- my final say is that my dance time is my girl time and it's always been like that for me. No matter how cool the guy is, it bothers me to dance with them on a team. Because although dance is a TEAM sport, when there's a boy dancing with you I find that choreography, music and competition audiences all revolve around him. And that's not a team. But a mixed team would be alright since then it's at least somewhat even.
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team?? (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:59 AM
Did you actually read what you wrote? You basically said you'd deny a guy his right to audition for a team because it would screw up your "girl time." Seriously? No, really? I'm a little amazed that ANYONE could hold that attitude in this day and age, but I'm SUPER amazed that you just admit it like it's nothing. If I was a huge supporter of blatant sex discrimination, I probably wouldn't publicize it so readily. But that's just me. I still say if anyone expressed this idea against women, no one would put up with it. So why is it ok to discriminate against men in this case?
re: what do you think of a guy trying out for a dance team?? (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 03:48 PM
Kicks your team needs an overhaul, plain and simple. Your attitude disgusts me. That is like saying that if your team is comprised of all white dancers, you wouldn't let an asian dancer be on the team. No one would openly admit that even if they thought that... so why in the world are you blatantly stating that having a guy on your team is bad. This makes me sick, and I am not exaggerating. Now I see why guys are so hesitant about trying out for dance teams. Girls like you would tear them apart. It is such a shame because some of my favorite people to dance with have been men. One of my greatest inspirations when I was taking class in highschool was a male teacher/coach I had for a year... So would you like absolutely like totally die if your coach was a man too? Experience some new things why don't ya. Judges don't care about the sex of the dancer. Get over yourself, no guy is gonna bust in and steal your spotlight JUST because he is a guy. If anything he will steal the spotlight cause he probably has a better attitude than you do.
By dancefreak33455member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 28, 2006 05:43 PM
I love having guys on the team! I think it's so cool when a guy doesn't care what other people think of him or whatever and you can usually tell that when they try out for team. It does make the choreography a little harder to come up with. But overall it's just great to have guys on the team.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch