Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

Pets
** Don't buy from pet shops!!! ** (karma: 16)
By Nonamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 209, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 05:38 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-08-19 20:52:07

Hi,

Please, if you have already bought a dog or cat from the pet shop, don't take this in offence. It is just a warning to people who want a puppy or kitten in the future.

WARNING - these websites may be distressing to viewers, it was distressing for me but people have a right to know the truth about where petshop puppies and kittens come from :(

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/

http://www.teknocat.co.uk/bybbody.htm

Thanks to these informative websites, the public are becoming more and more aware of Puppy and Kitten Mills (sometimes known as Puppy or Kitten Farms).
It is a sad but true fact that the adoreable puppies and kittens you see in the petshop have more than likely come from a place like this.

If you can, please do not support cruel puppy and kitten mills/farms by buying from a petshop. You never can tell where they've come from and how they've been treated. They often have diseases from living in these horrible places.
Go to a registered breeder, someone who has good experience at producing quality puppies and kittens.

It's upsetting that this happens but I think people who love animals need to know where NOT to buy them from, and the truth about these evil people. :(

Thanks for reading :)

78 Replies to ** Don't buy from pet shops!!! **

re: ** Don't buy from pet shops!!! **
By LilLeprechaunmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 313, member since Wed Oct 06, 2004
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 07:09 AM
thanks so much... i probably wont be getting anymore pets, i have over 100, but still. then again, the puppies would get in even worse condition if they wern't adopted.
By Nonamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 209, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 08:38 AM
Over 100! Wow, seriously?! That's amazing! :)

I know what you mean, I did think that too.
If people buy them out of sympathy the people will still get the money and continue to over breed dogs and cats :(
It's horrible to say, but I guess a small sacrifice (ie. not purchasing the pet shop puppies/kittens no matter what) is the only way to stop them doing it.

The police manage to bust some of them, but it's so hard to police because you even get "back yard breeders".
It's increasing here in the UK now too. I have never seen puppies or kittens for sale in Scottish petshops, but I know it exists more down south.
Things like Wales' government now giving grants to farmers allowing them to breed dogs will not help :?
You can sign petitions against these things which will ultimately help.

Thanks for reading :)
By LilLeprechaunmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 313, member since Wed Oct 06, 2004
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:51 PM
ohhhhh now i get why its so horrible. thanks!
By Bayaderemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 796, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 08:56 PM
It's true :(.. my best friend had a fluffy white pup (don't know what breed), and it died a week later! :( it was sick when they bought it, but they were unaware!
--Bayadere*
re: ** Don't buy from pet shops!!! ** (karma: 5)
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 09:09 PM
Why get a dog or cat from a store or breeder when you can find a nice pet at the ANIMAL SHELTER?

Not only will you get a new furry friend but you also SAVE A LIFE!!!
By newyorkdollmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5451, member since Thu May 16, 2002
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:35 PM
hylndlas, my thoughts exactly! I am opposed to pet stores for these reasons. It's so sad what happens to animals. It's just horrible.
By FlexisKeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1846, member since Sun May 02, 2004
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:35 PM
i've heard this happens with rabbits as well. :(
By xodncnblondi13member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1440, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 08:47 AM
i got my dog from a pet shop and the vet checked her out and she has always been in perfect health and she is now two. i was hard buying only one puppy though because there were so many and there were like 3 dogs in the cage she came from and i wanted to get all of them but i think they were being pretty well cared for in there because the petstore owner would play with the dogs when there were no costumers.
By IrIsHcHaMp23 Comments: 82, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 05:45 PM
WOW thats very helpful Thanks a lot! Thoses are good websites! Very helpful! Thank you! My dog was from Petsmart, and she had a problem with hair loss, but shes perfectly fine now.....Shes almost a year old!
By puppies_flyPremium member Comments: 2818, member since Sun Jan 16, 2005
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 08:33 PM
im not sure if youre aware of this, but petsmart's dogs and cats all come from animal shelters and so it is the same as if you adopted from a shelter. none of the money from petsmart dogs and cats goes to a puppy mill just to the rescue organisation. (my local petsmart gets their dogs from adirondack save a stray)
By ihopeudansmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 195, member since Sun Mar 03, 2002
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 08:46 PM
I worked for Petsmart for over 2 years, and now I work at a little independent pet store in Wilmington, NC, and neither store sells dogs or cats. Petsmart has adoption groups that come into the store, usually on weekends, so people who are shopping for dogs and cats can see these wonderful adoptable pets waiting for a home! Proceeds go to Petsmart Charities and to the adoption groups themselves, and the money from petsmart charities actually goes straight back to local adoption groups and rescues. So if you're looking for a dog or cat, Petsmart is a good place to find one. Also, you have to realize that a lot of independent pet stores that still do sell dogs and cats actually have breeders working for them. Not all pet stores get their animals from mills. Unfortunately puppy and kitten mills are terrible places, but the more you support good charities like Petsmart charities, etc, the less puppy mills are going to be around.
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 09:17 PM
i see your point completly.. but what about these poor puppies and kittens... wouldnt you want to buy them to get them out of a horrible place like that.. to show them a real home... i feel like if you didnt buy for a shop then, then these puppies and kittens are stuck there...

Sarah
re: ** Don't buy from pet shops!!! ** (karma: 1)
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:41 PM
Ideally, those cute puppies and kittens in pet stores would be rescued by the local humane society and the facility shut down.

The problem with buying from them to give any of those pups and kits a good home is that they profit from that, and therefore, it encourages them to stay open to continue buying animals from mills.

I know it sounds crazy, but it really is better for everyone involved (the animals and the people wanting pets) to avoid pet stores and go to the nearest humane society, rescue organization, or to find a responsible breeder.
By Primadonna Comments: 1406, member since Wed Oct 31, 2001
On Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:46 PM
Thank you so much for this post, and I add this into the mix:

No responsible or reputable breeder would EVER sell their dogs through a pet store. Responsible breeders take extreme care in selecting owners for their pups who will rise to the challenge of raising a happy and healthy dog. In a pet store, the "breeder" relinquishes all control over who will get their pets and therefore don't give a **** about the puppies or kittens.

Futhermore - please understand that nowadays, some pet stores realize that people feel sorry for the animals and they are playing off this pity to get people to "save" them.

When you buy a pet from a pet store, the money goes to the puppy mill's pocket and because of your actions, more puppies will be churned out of overbred, overtired, undernourished and completely unsocialized dogs. Please think before you act.

www.petfinder.com

There is NO excuse.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Fri Aug 26, 2005 08:28 PM
I got my dog from the pound, but that sounds horrible. Great job keeping everyone informed!
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 09:12 PM
Edited by Hollianna (111992) on 2005-09-01 21:16:23
Edited by Hollianna (111992) on 2005-09-01 21:19:09
I agree, don't support pet shops! My favorite pet shops are ones that don't sell live animals. Please support rescues and shelters. My other passion besides dance is animal advocasy.

There are pets at the shelter that have nothing wrong with them, their only flaw is not having a home. I have two dogs that I adopted the day they were supposed to be put to sleep. I have a mixed breed, who is sweet and very intelligent, and a full bred Chihuahua. 35% of all shelter dogs are purebred, so you CAN find that breed you love so much, but I actually prefer mixed breeds. There are also puppies in pounds, but I did not adopt puppies, but I like the older dogs, because the ones I adopted were already trained to a degree and out of the crazy puppy stage. Consider adopting a senior pet.

Also, the number one overpopulated homeless pet are cats. If every homeless cat in the US were to have a home, that would mean every person would have to own 40 cats. Please consider adopting a homeless cat.

Also, on a similar note, not just dogs and cats end up in shelters. I have participated in a guinea pig rescue and myself have six guinea pigs that were in shelters. There are also other small animals like birds, rabbits, and reptiles in shelters. Like another poster said, I strongly recommend petfinder.com

Also, you may have to pay an adoption fee when you adopt from a shelter. This money goes to helping other homeless animals. When you pay a pet store or breeder, your money goes into their pocket.

Here are some pictures of some of the pets I have, that were dumped by someone else, these babies weren't wanted by anyone.

Image hotlink - 'http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4724/100033933yu.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6210/1000316234pj.jpg'
By falaco Comments: 50, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 01:53 PM
Thats really bad. thanks for sharing. love j x

^ i like your guinea pigs.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Tue Sep 06, 2005 05:35 AM
This adorable kitten was a product of an irresponsible owner who didn't have their cat fixed, I saved his young life from either being euthanized or squashed by an ambulance or car on the major highway right near where I work (he was hiding in the psych transport van at where I work, the local ambulance company). He's now neutered, has a sister who came from the shelter and he couldn't be happier! The only time I would not get an animal from a shelter is because I want a purebred German Shepherd (girl). There is a German Shepherd rescue here where I live and I'd certainly look there first! But shelter animals are some of the most loving animals I've seen. My cat is the sweetest thing and I got her from the local SPCA, $35 got her shots, spayed, flea-treated, any other vet care before I adopted her and micro-chipped, what more could I ask for? She now greets me every time I come home from work, gives me kisses, then curls up and goes to sleep with mommy and her baby brother. I'd never think of buying an animal from a pet store, only a reputable breeder or a rescue organization.
By LouCeemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1608, member since Wed May 19, 2004
On Sat Sep 10, 2005 01:15 PM
I totally agree! In Germany however, cats and dogs are never sold in Pet Shops, you have to get one through breeders or people who've cats have had babies. My granny in england always got her dogs from rescue homes, ones that had been abandoned, etc. They were all lovely dogs, and I so glad my granny had given them a home!
Lucy xxx
By FunkyFeet_Dancer Comments: 1279, member since Thu Jul 22, 2004
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 01:36 PM
Hiya

Aaaaw thats really bad!! :(
I was thinking of buying a puppy!
I feel so sorry for them. What will happen to them?

I love animals and that's really sad to hear! :(

Thanks very much for sharing

Love Lauren xx
By muzzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1071, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:58 AM
it's true...
i know someone who brought a kitten from a pet shap and it died the next day... yes that's right... THE NEXT DAY!!!

It's so sad and well done for posting this.xx
Love maria.xx
By balletbelle_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 897, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Thu Sep 15, 2005 05:30 PM
Just so you know, not all pet stores are like that. The ones around here buy their animals from certified breeders and you can get the papers and name of the breeder and even visit the breeder if you like. However if you go to a pet store and ask for information on the breeder and they don't have it/won't give it to you, that's a very bad sign. You shouldnt' just boycot pet stores, you should just do your research (which you should be doing when buying a pet, period). There are equally bad breeders out there that don't care about the animals, only making money. This is a good post though, there are so many people unaware about these types of things.

----
Free ipod: ipods.freepay.com . . .
And for the skeptics: wired-vig.wired.com . . .
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Fri Sep 16, 2005 05:17 AM
Well, I'm against the pet shops not because of their "quality" of care, and the animals they carry. I say "ignore the store" because I'm all for "Don't breed or buy, while homeless animals die."
By puppies_flyPremium member Comments: 2818, member since Sun Jan 16, 2005
On Fri Sep 16, 2005 01:48 PM
The ones around here buy their animals from certified breeders and you can get the papers and name of the breeder and even visit the breeder if you like.

certified breeders? certified by what orginasation? there are plenty of pet stores/chains that give their breeders their own type of 'certification' that may seem impressive but is worthless.

also papers are no guarantee of an animals good health and temperament. 'papers' can also be from the pet store, and be just as worthless as the breeder's certification. even if the papers are from somewhere trustworthy, they still don't mean much. any dog with AKC regestired parents can be automatically AKC registered.

its a good idea to be careful of anyone who says their pets come with 'papers' since this word can mean so many things. a good and responsible breeder will be specific about what these are, and use the proper names such as 'AKC registration forms' or 'medical records' and such.

even if all those things seem legit, there is another question to worry about: why would a good, responsible, breeder sell their dogs to a commercial pet store? a reaponsible breeder will want to meet the people buying their dogs and learn about their home so the dogs go to a good home. the pet store lets anyone with enough money take home an animal. no good breeder would want such a randomly chosen home for their dog, so a good breeder wouldnt sell their dog to a pet shop. if no good breeder would sell their dog rto a pet shop, then no dog in a pet store ocomes from a proper breeder, therefore you shouldnt get it.
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatchDraw