Forum: Arts / Poetry

Poetry
Do we need Poetry forum guidelines? My thoughts are inside. What are yours? (karma: 4)
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 01:43 PM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-08-13 10:18:45

I don’t post in this forum with regularity but I do browse a lot. I would like to suggest that we come up with some guidelines for this forum so we can self-regulate ourselves. Below are some of my thoughts. I hope you’ll contribute your own and discuss any ideas with which you disagree in a polite and calm manner.

1. Attached Photos.
Poetry is by its very nature an expression of emotions. For many the goal is to get the reader to feel an emotion or to see in their mind’s eye what the writer is describing. Thus, it seems contrary to have a photo attached to a poem. When we were 5, our books had lots of pictures in it because we didn’t know all the words needed to describe a scene. Instead of lots of words we had a picture. When we get older our books have less and less pictures and eventually there are no pictures in adult novels. There are a lot of books of poetry that contain photos and images of visual artwork. I think this is because our modern appetite is such that we have a hard time reading a book of poetry without a “commercial” thrown in now and again to give us a break from one poem and the next. However, I don’t think we need photos attached to poetry in this forum as we can easily take a break by clicking another link.

2. What is the forum for?
I’ve seen a number of people post poems that they’ve found in a book or that were sent to them via email. Should they be here? I would put such a poem in my diary rather than here. I always assume that everybody who contributes to this forum is writing their own poems. I’ve recently been made aware of “poetry generators”. I never knew such a thing existed. As a writer, I find it disgusting that poetry is lowered to the level of “Mad-Libs”. www.madlibs.org

3. Requests for Feedback and Critiques.
I think this goes pretty well right now. People share their thoughts in a nice manner if they so choose. If you want or don’t want feedback about your poem, I think you should make your request inside your message. Subject lines have a lot of space for a title and maybe even a hint of what’s inside. A good writer knows how to hook a reader on the first line. Consider the subject line of your post as your first line.

4. Star-farming.
Thankfully I don’t see a lot of star-farming here in the poetry forum. Rather, complaints are often about the lack of replies. If you don’t get any replies to your poem, or if you aren’t getting a lot of hits from people reading your poetry, don’t be upset. Poetry can be emotionally draining to read sometimes. That is why I only visit here every few weeks.
I’m just glad we have the opportunity to share our poetry because without this forum I probably wouldn’t share any of my poems. Be proud of yourself for writing and having the guts to share your poetry.
I wrote this recently in another message but I think it bears repeating here:
I don't usually comment on poems because I think we write for ourselves and it doesn't really matter what other people think. For me, writing is my therapy and even if you don't like my poem, it was still beneficial for me to write it.

5. Spelling.
Poetry is especially fun for me because, to an extent, I get to toss out the rules of grammar and proper writing. However, that doesn't mean I should toss out the rules of spelling and all the grammar rules. Verb tenses should still match the nouns, unless you have an artistic reason to not do so. You've worked hard on your poem so show a little pride in your work and run it through a spell checker before you post it. People like me who love words and writing will be much more open to enjoying your poem if we don't have to trip over misspelled words. (I'm not talking about typos.)

6. Mark up Codes & Smilies
Again, this doesn't seem to be much of a problem in the Poetry forum. I just wanted to throw it out here in case people have concerns about excessive colored text and smiley faces in their posts. To me, this goes right along with attaching photos and is contrary to the idea of poetry. Italics and bold fonts are fine by me but I won't like your poem more if you write about an orange sunset.

What thoughts or ideas do you have that will help this forum continue to be a positive place for everybody?

16 Replies to Do we need Poetry forum guidelines? My thoughts are inside. What are yours?

re: Do we need Poetry forum guidelines? My thoughts are inside. What are yours?
By PlumeriaPremium member Comments: 3483, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 01:52 PM
Great Guidelines!!!!
By SnowWhitemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7666, member since Sun Oct 27, 2002
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 04:38 AM
I pretty much agree with everything you mentioned. I don't post a lot on this forum, but I browse quite a bit and I think these guidelines would make a postive impact on the poetry board. Well said.
By Elite_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 467, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:25 AM
I agree with most of what you are saying except about the pictures...

I personally believe pictures can enhance your poetry. Ive used pictures to truly express the intensity of my words. I think if the picture and the poem go hand in hand people should use them.
By Fire_Dancer Comments: 243, member since Mon Mar 29, 2004
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 06:56 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this! I'm new to this board...(not DDN, but for a while I jsut stayed on the Irish Boards) and this will help others like me refrain from doing thing on this board that are unhelpful to other aspiring poets. I totally agree with the posting poems that aren't yours. Or at least, if you feel you must share a poem that isn't yours, GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE>>>> at least state somewhere in the post the website you got it from or author if you can. I've been disappointed many times to read a great poe to only find out by another poster that it isn't original work... that's called plagerism and it is ILLEGAL (at least where I live) But anyway, I'm pretty sure there is another post about that on here... but anyway thank you again for taking the time to regulate such a creative board!
Ellie
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3147, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 09:39 PM
i think i have seen star farming as an issue on some of my posts. it doesn't bother me that much but i just wanted to point it out.

i'll post this long poem right, and i'll get one person replying and saying "i loved it, it's so emotional and it really relates to my life right now because of this and bla bla bla and i like how you used bla bla bla and maybe you could try..." you get the point..they are descriptive and helpful. and then i'll get another reply and think "yay another reply to my poem!" and it will be "good poem, keep writing." and i'll be like "um...k great?" i mean i like hearing that someone liked my poem...but when they say it like that i'm just like "k wow"

so therefore...if you are going to visit this forum, i think you should actually take the type to READ THE POEMS THOROUGLY and give longer comments than 2 or 3 words. tell the person what you liked, and tell them any tips you have to make it better. if they don't ask for you to critique and you have some pointers, perhaps ask them if it is okay, just in case they weren't looking for that sort of thing.

and guys, i have had a lot of poems go unresponded too, so i know how it feels. i agree with rallyhopback that sometimes it's just because there are a lot of long poems in this forum and it's hard for everyone to read all of them. but that doesn't mean that yours is bad or not liked.

if anyone ever wants a poem read or critiqued you can pm it to me...cuz i love poetry.

ok...thats just my rant and my thoughts. peace out.

luv ang
By pchsballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 560, member since Mon Oct 04, 2004
On Wed Sep 07, 2005 05:05 PM
this is the second post i've read in this forum section ( i've readd other ddn stuff but not poetry) and yay to guidlines but I'd like to point out i've actually written poems inspired by certain pictures I've taken or drawings a friend did and I sometimes take pictures because I feel what I felt when I wrote the poem when I look at it. But you're right, most poems don't need pictures, but some are made more magical by them
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 09:24 PM
How about a variety of topics? Every single poem on here is some contrived, angsty subject. A little variety would not be unwelcome, people.
By delusionaldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 788, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Fri Sep 09, 2005 06:18 AM
I think some more constructive criticism would be good. While 'Wow, I can really relate to that' is a valid post, it is not really a critique of the poem.

While it is good that people express their emotions on this board, I do agree with PinUpGirl in that there is so much more to Poetry than just emotive 'these are my feelings' poems. I really think people should get something from these boards to help them develop their poetic skills. Perhaps a tutorial on how to critique a poem would be helpful?

Also, I had an idea last night - to expose people to other poetry, we could have a 'poetry magazine', similar to the magazines on the other boards. Favourite poems, poets, analysis etc might give people some more inspiration than simply their latest heartbreak?

I hope that wasn't too offensive to anyone. There is a lot of merit in many of the poems on this board, but everyone can grow and progress as an artist. We are all dancers, we are not strangers to the fact that improvement knows no limits.
By blochgalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1070, member since Sun Jan 05, 2003
On Sun Sep 11, 2005 09:16 PM
What is the forum for?

The banner/box thing at the top (Poetry! Here's the place to let your pen and imagination dance through our hearts!) makes it seem as if the forum is only intended for submiting personal pieces. I'd like to be able to discuss poets and others' work as well, as long as the writer is acknowledged and the OP gives them credit. I think they should be allowed to be here, but rather than a critique maybe the responses could be more analytical? I dunno.
By delusionaldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 788, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 02:25 AM
what about within the format of a 'magazine', as I suggested above? I wasn't thinking of doing that actually ON the board, but more as a mailing list, with contributions from posters on this board, if it makes sense?

I just don't know how many people would be genuinely interested...
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 07:28 PM
I don't know....
While angst, heartbreak, "the joy/freedom of dancing" and "nobody loves me" poems, don't do much for me today, I remember really needing to write those kinds of poems when I was younger. I don't think budding poets should be told what poetry topics they can and can't share here.

In previous discussion of critiquing I've mentioned that people who enjoy writing poetry do so for the love of it. Not necessarily to impress anybody else. Yes, we all want to improve our skills, but sometimes it is nice to know that somebody was moved enough by your poem to comment. If I really want a critique I will ask for it in the message. Sometimes I look at a suggestion and just blow it off because the person obviously doesn't understand what I'm doing in my poem.

As to the photos & images, I understand why people attach graphics to their message. But please just ask yourself first, does this photo really need to be here or am I attaching it because I can? Do we really need to see an drawing of a broken heart to help us understand a poem about a broken heart?

Onto a new idea: Forced Poetry. I call it forced poetry because you will be given a topic and guidelines. Then everybody who is so inclined shares their poem in that thread. I'll start a new thread for this idea to see if it flies or dies.
-Rally
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 05:24 AM
rallyhopback - that's a good point. I know I did it as well. Maybe I've been a bit harsh :( Just sometimes I think the poems are being posted for a reaction, you know? 'Look how horrible my life is'! that shouldn't be hidden in a poem...we have a support forum.
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:40 AM
^I never looked at it that way before. I agree, if a poem is being shared to garner a personal reaction or sympathy, that is not really apporpriate. I remember writing angsty poems that were very much exaggerations of emotions. So I assume others are taking poetic license as well.
Poetry Forum Guidelines
By committeddancer Comments: 512, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Sat Nov 05, 2005 05:40 PM
I agree with what rallyhopback has stated
Poetry comes from the heart it is personal to the writer.
there are certain pieces of poetry I have written that I wouldn't put up on the board, as only I would understand it.
You don't need pictures, bold letters just your thoughts.
I like to read others work whether it be their own or someone elses. Yes she should be truthful and say if it is your own or someone elses.
I don't expect to get alot of feedback from my poems as it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea.
thankyou rallyhoback for your comment about my poem entitled Milton Keynes Yes this is my own work not someone elses.
Kel Lx
By tinydancinbaby Comments: 32, member since Sat Nov 12, 2005
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 09:47 PM
Hey rallyhopback i like the guidelines and all but i just had a question about this forced poetry.....I would be interested in doing something of this sort and i see that there was one on kitchens and you mentioned that u would post another subject next week but I DONT SEE IT lol !!!! Oh and if you miss a week of it you are still allowed to post the follwing week right??

confused...

~Brittany
Do we need Poetry forum guidelines?
By committeddancer Comments: 512, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 01:56 AM
Hiya Rallyhopback.

I've been reading some of this poetry over the weeks. And I've noticed that a few of the artists are writing really emotional and distressing poetry.

I don't really want to say which ones as they are all good in there own right.

However I read between the lines and sometimes it blatently obvious what they are trying to say.

I know that poetry is an expression of inner feelings. But I feel personally it's getting to the stage. Where your going to need a councillor on this forum. I am not talking about sexuality or genders. I really don't have a problem with that.
I'm on about self harming,almost suicidal and it saddens me that I read it in poetry and can do nothing to help.
There's also Sexual abuse. Even though the writer says this may upset some people. I think that it would upset most people on this forum and that they need professional help.
Writing poetry is a way of expressing yourself,and if it gets all these pent up feelings out of you all well and good. But these people need to seek professional help.
Sorry to rant on.

And hey Rallyhopback havn't seen any poetry from you in a while.
I really rate what you do. Think your very talented and some of your poetry should be published let alone mine.

Kelx Lx

ReplySendWatch