Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

nervous about Beginners class
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 03:22 PM

Okay, I just signed up for ice-skating lessons, in a beginners class. I don't know how to skate at all, I can barley stand up on skates, is everyone going to be like this, or just me???

3 Replies to nervous about Beginners class

re: nervous about Beginners class
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 03:49 PM
Depends...some places will group "beginners" as people who haven't ever skated before, some places will group a variety of skaters together for class size purposes.

Take your time and don't worry about other people in the class. If you can try to go to a couple of public sessions before your first class to get a feel for the ice.

I tell a lot of kids at our rink who are just learning that the most important thing is to go at your own pace. And also, if you fall thats okay. Just pick yourself up and learn from the mistake. Funny story, my friend and I were on a public session and I did something, can't remember what, and fell. Later my friend told me that a group of teenage girls said to each other "Good she falls too!" - everyone falls, it's a part of the learning process. If you're not falling, you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

Have fun, and let us know how the first lesson goes.
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 04:01 PM
Thankyou so much!!! I did go to one public session with a group of friends, we all looked so stupid clinging to the wall like our lives depended on it, but it was so much fun! My first class is september 10th.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:56 AM
Oh congratulations!
I hope your class is realy good. It helps if you have been skating abit before your first lesson - even clinging to the wall type - at least you have sort of a feel of the ice.
Maybe you can go a couple more times before your first lesson, then you can move about without the wall, which is what all coaches will ask you to do.
Hope you have loads of fun at your class :D

ReplySendWatch