Forum: Advice / Stretching

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Stretching
Using A Theraband: FAQ and Exercises for Strengthening Your Entire Body! (karma: 58)
By BurgundayBell47member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1212, member since Fri Jul 11, 2003
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:36 PM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2005-08-17 10:59:45

There have been a lot of questions in the past on what a theraband is used for and what exercises can be done with it. Here are some answers to some FAQ about therabands and 18 theraband exercises for you feet, ankles, turnout, legs, abs, and arms!

How does it work?
-The theraband creates added resistance to simple exercises, making them more challenging and more efficient. The greater resistance helps you build strength quicker.

Why Should I Use a Theraband?
-It can be used to strengthen those places that otherwise are hard to strengthen.
-It is a good tool for injury recovery and building back strength.
-The extra resistance gives you a greater ability to improve strength!
-It’s an inexpensive way to strengthen your body! Therabands generally run for about $4-6 a piece.
-It’s easy to use! And easy to take anywhere you go!
-It has unlimited possible uses~

Where can I buy a theraband?
-They can be found at local dance or exercise stores or even at Walmart or Target, usually with the pilates and yoga equipment.
-Online you can find them at discountdancesupply.com. Gaynor Minden sells the “Dancer’s Dozen” which comes with two very low strength bands and a book of exercises. I prefer the ones that Bunheads sells which can be bought in higher strengths.

Tips for Theraband Use and Care:
-When using the theraband, try to maintain its natural width. Try not the let it bunch up, because it can slide up/down your legs, dig into your hands, or just become uncomfortable if it does.
-Protect the theraband by removing any rings before using it. Also be careful of sharp finger and toenails.
-Do not use body oils while using a theraband.
-It is possible that the band may snap, especially if it is older. Store the bands outside of direct sunlight. Extreme heat or cold may cause the band to snap.
-Ladies: It’s a good idea to wear your hair up when doing exercises involving the theraband near your hair, just so the band and your hair don’t get mixed up! Ouch!
-Gentlemen: It’s a good idea to wear long socks/something to cover your legs when doing these exercises to prevent the band from pulling leg hair! Again, Ouch!
-Always make sure that if you tie a knot in the band, that it’s secure. You don’t want it popping out in the middle of an exercise!
-As with all strengthening exercises, WARM UP FIRST! You don’t want to injure any muscles!

Exercises:

Feet

1)Pedeling: Sit on the floor in pike position with feet flexed. Wrap the theraband around the balls of your feet and pull tight. Slowly bend one knee while you stretch through all the points of the other foot until it is fully pointed, then switch, bend the other knee and stretch the other foot.

2)**Metatarsels: This will help in stretching all the way through your toes and making that part of your foot stronger. Sit on the ground with your knees bent and feet resting. Fold the theraband in half and lay it on the ground in front of you. Sitting up straight(you can use a wall if you want), use your toes to pick up the theraband and slowly drop it, spreading all of your toes to pick it up again, and drop it. Repeat as much as youd like~! You can also do this by using marbles and just picking them up.

3)Flex and Point #1: Sitting in a pike position, wrap the theraband around the ball(s) of one or both feet. Put the ends together and pull to create tension. Now point and flex the foot/feet slowly, going through every position of the foot. This creates a stronger, more controlled foot and helps with exercises such as tendus, degages, etc. It also helps build strength for pointework.

4)**Flex and Point #2: Lay on your back with one leg straight up in the air, 90 degree ankle with the floor. Wrap the theraband around the ball of that foot and pull for resistance. Now, slowly, flex VERY hard, and stretch it all the way, flex, stretch, over and over until it burns. If done properly, this should also give you a good hamstring stretch!

Ankles

5) **Wing and Sickle: Sit on the floor with one leg bent, foot resting on the floor, and the other leg bent, turned out with the shin resting on the other leg. Wrap the band around the free foot(towards the top, around the ball) and, putting the ends together, pull them towards you. Then, with your foot fully pointed(or you can flex the toes, as long as the ankle is fully pointed) slowly wing the foot and then bring it back to a neutral position. You can then either continue doing that, or you can alternate winging the foot and sickling it, but if you weaker ankles you probably just want to wing it. This will strengthen the muscles around the “ankle bone” on the outside of your foot(which really isn’t your ankle bone). Another way of doing this exercise is to flex the foot with the theraband around it and wing and sickle it, making a bigger half-moon shape.

Turnout

6)**Rotating out and in: Lay on your side with your knees bent one on top of the other and your elbow resting on the ground to allow you to sit up a little (make sure you are really over your hip and not sinking back). Take your theraband and wrap it around your legs, midthigh. You can either tie the ends together, or put them together and hold on to them with one hand, whichever you find works best. Rotate the top leg out and in, about 10-15 times. Don't overdo this one because you could injure your piriformis muscle, a tiny muscle that controls most of your turnout.

7) **Bridge: Lay on your back with your knees bent, wrap the band around your thighs, then roll your pelvis and back up so that you are making a flat surface with your thighs and stomach, then slowly roll through your spine back down. Repeat. To make this harder, do it with one leg crossed over, resting on the other thigh. You really have to work to keep your pelvis level!

8) Rond de Jambe: Stand in first position and tie the theraband around both leg tightly midthigh. Holding onto a barre/something for support if needed, do eight rond de jambes en d'hors(outside) and eight rond de jambes en de dans(inside). Do this on both legs. The resistance should make these harder than normal rond de jambes. Focus on rotating out and going through each position.

Legs:

9) **Standing Leg Curls: Standing upright near a wall with hands on the wall, place the theraband in a circle around the bottom of your left foot/shoe and your right ankle(tie ends in a knot. you’ll want to make the circle a smaller one for more resistance.) Slowly curl your right lower leg up towards the ceiling until it is parallel with the floor. Pause and slowly return to original position. Do 10 repetitions on each leg. This exercise is a great hamstring strengthener.

10) Side lunges: Standing with feet parallel, shoulder-width apart and the band tied in a circle around the legs, above the knee, slowly step to the right and plié, then return to original position. Do 10 repetitions to each side.

Abdominals:

11) Crunches with the theraband: Lie on your back with knees bent and place the theraband running the length of your body underneath you. Grasp the end of the bend with both hands behind your head with elbows out wide. Now proceed as you would doing normal crunches, curling up until your shoulder blades are off of the floor. Try to keep your “belly button” pressing to the floor, not letting your abs “crunch up” even though these are called crunches :P

Arms:

12) Bicep Curls: Star standing upright with your feet shoulder width apart. Place one end of the theraband under your right foot. Grip the other end with your right hand so that there isn’t any slack in the band. Place the elbow close to the body and palm facing upward. Slowly curl the forearm up towards your shoulder. Pause and slowly return back to original position. Do 10 repetitions on each side.

13) Tricep Press Down: Get a small towel, fold it lengthwise and put it around the back of your neck. Then place the theraband around the back of your neck, on top of the towel. Grab both ends of the theraband(one in each hand) so that your forearms are parallel to the ground, elbows bent at about a 90 degree angle. Slowly extend forearms down, pulling the theraband down and rotating the palms toward the back. Pause and slowly return to original position. Do 10 repetitions.

14) **First to Second: This exercise mimics the transition of the arms from first position to second position in ballet. It helps strengthen the pectoral and arm muscles involved. Hold each end of the theraband in one hand in front of you, as if you were in first position. Now, keeping arms rounded, open arms out to second while holding the theraband. Hold and return your arms to first position.

15) Forearm Flexor: Sit on the edge of a chair and place one end of the theraband under your right foot. Overlap the ends of the band into your right hand and place your forearm on your thigh with the palm facing upward, making sure there is no slack in the band. Slowly curl your wrist upward toward your body. Pause and slowly return to original postition. Do 10 repetitions on each side.

16) Forearm Extensor: Same as above exercise, only with the palm facing downward, lifting the wrist up back towards you.

17) One Arm Pull Down: Grab one of the theraband with one hand above the head. Grab the other end with the other hand and slowly pull that side down to the side of your body. Return to above head. Do 10 reps on each side.

18) Side Lateral Raises: Standing upright, palce one end of theraband under one foot. With the corresponding arm, grab the other end of the theraband, palm facing front. Slowly raise the arm up and out from the side of the body until just below shoulder height. Pause and slowly return to original position. Do 10 reps on each side

Things to Remember:

-On many of these you are pulling the theraband for resistance, but its important to make sure that the muscles you’re targeting are doing most of the work, not your arms(in non-arm exercises) or the theraband.
-WARM UP first! Stretch out afterwards!
-Maintain proper posture while doing these exercises and try not to hold any unneeded tensions in your body(mainly your shoulders).
-Breathe!
-Stay attuned to your body! If any exercise causes you to hurt, STOP! Don’t overdo any of these.

**Exercises with two stars next to them are my personal favorites.

I hope this answers a lot of your questions about therabands. If you have any more or need something clarified, feel free to PM me!
Lizi~

96 Replies to Using A Theraband: FAQ and Exercises for Strengthening Your Entire Body!

re: Using A Theraband: FAQ and Exercises for Strengthening Your Entire Body!
By Pebz Comments: 890, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 07:35 AM
KARMA!!! I love you! Thanks for all these GREAT tips. This should be a sticky.
By FabulousFeet Comments: 908, member since Sat Apr 17, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 09:45 AM
These exercises are great! I have been meaning to get a theraband for a little while now, but now I definetly am going to get one! Thank you!
By AuntFannymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1219, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:52 AM
Karma! I also modded it to be a sticky.

Anyway, I will definitely try the ones for your feet. Thanks!
By Ballet_Boo_Boomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 988, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 05:12 PM
Yay! I love you! Great job! Oh, what's that? I think I hear the Karma Fairy....

.mandy.
By Coconut06 Comments: 173, member since Sat Aug 20, 2005
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 09:39 PM
If i wasn't a newbie I would give you tons of KARMA! Great job on this post. I use my bath robe rope to stretch with and i was wondering about therabands. Now that I know their many uses, and how inexpensive they are, I will definately get one and use it. Thanks for all the great advice and time you put into your post!:)

Stacey
By dance_forever21 Comments: 100, member since Fri Jul 15, 2005
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:09 PM
This is a great thread! I've been looking for some more theraband excercises for ages! Thanks! :)
By angeldancer21 Comments: 33, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:19 AM
very helpful thread, i think its time for me to buy Therabands , and i think they will help me , now i know where to buy them and how much they cost , and what types of exercises i can do with them , this is so helpful! ,

ok i gotta go now i have been on this site for an hour at least. i have found alot of helpful posts here thank you so much.

i think i will make a notebook about stretching ,
By sasaballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 226, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 02:37 AM
Edited by sasaballerina (99676) on 2005-09-01 02:44:05
great exercises! karma coming! :)
On Fri Sep 02, 2005 02:04 PM
What do you mean when you say, "Tie the thearaband in a circle?" or to "Place the theraband in a circle?"
By BurgundayBell47member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1212, member since Fri Jul 11, 2003
On Fri Sep 02, 2005 05:20 PM
I mean make a circle with the band, with the ends touching or tied together, usually wrapped around your legs or feet or whatever the exercise calls for, does that make sense? Tell me if it doesn't and I'll try to clarify more!
On Fri Sep 02, 2005 09:25 PM
Ohhh yes I understand now. Thanks!
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Sat Sep 03, 2005 06:39 PM
Thats fab! Thanks! I love my therabands and taht was quite informative!
By xxLittlelolsxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2459, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:17 PM
hi

that`s great!
karma for you:)
lv lols xx
By Karolmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 253, member since Tue Feb 22, 2005
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 05:12 PM
I have been looking for theraband exercises so this was very helpful! Like Coconut06, I usually stretch with my bath robe rope. What I'm annoyed now is that unlike you guys, here in Brazil therabands are like $35 bucks! =(
By bigwinner Comments: 1004, member since Wed May 25, 2005
On Sun Oct 16, 2005 09:15 PM
with stretching it is good to strengthen too or else you can get "wobbly"
By Camyellez Comments: 65, member since Sun Oct 16, 2005
On Sun Oct 16, 2005 09:21 PM
I've been looking for theraband exercises too. Especially for my turnout. I just don't have the strenth to hold it eventhough my turnout is stretched out.
By jessthackmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 145, member since Fri Apr 08, 2005
On Wed Oct 19, 2005 06:14 AM
im so glad some one has finally posted something on thera band exercises.
THANK YOU
On Thu Oct 20, 2005 08:33 PM
this a really nice post it is very informative
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:32 PM
Great excercises! I'll go and try them.
By buffercheenPremium member Comments: 70, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 08:35 AM
are therabands the same as the pilates bands(multicoloured stretchy rubbery things)? I'm wondering if I can use those instead?
By c5luver Comments: 118, member since Tue Oct 25, 2005
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 01:28 PM
Thank-you. Very infromative. I'll have to try them.

c5luver :D
By BBBallet00 Comments: 24, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:12 AM
wow thank you so much i love all of the excersizes you suggested. they really helped
FAQ Thera band
By keshetdancer Comments: 27, member since Fri Nov 11, 2005
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 04:44 PM
Thank you soooo much for this it really helped!!
FAQ Thera band
By keshetdancer Comments: 27, member since Fri Nov 11, 2005
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 04:46 PM
Thank you soooo much for this it really helped!!
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch