Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop - Advanced

Hip Hop - Advanced
Capoeira and its place in Hip-hop...
By SpellieDev Comments: 480, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 04:08 AM

I've taken Capoeira for 2 years before I gotten into dance, and over the years I've seen its presence grow on the internet and people passing it off as a "part" of the hip-hop dance scene. Sure, people can do Capoeira moves in breakdance or whatever...but in my opinion, Capoeira today (as an art) has NO place in Hip-hop. It's a friggin' martial art!

How do you guys feel about it?
-Dev

3 Replies to Capoeira and its place in Hip-hop...

re: Capoeira and its place in Hip-hop... (karma: 1)
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:15 AM
I believe its a martial art, but it is kind of a bridge between dancing and martial arts. Both dancing and martial arts are very closely related for I do both as well. However I do not believe that it really has a place in hip hop and for that matter Capoeira has its own music and tunes.
re: Capoeira and its place in Hip-hop...
By SpellieDev Comments: 480, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:13 PM
werd...i think there's a different mentality to doing each dicipline. in dance, you're worried more about executing moves at the right time, right place, right technique, etc., to the rhythm of the music. where in martial arts, you're trying do the same thing, but your rhythm comes from your opponent, and at the same time you're thinking moves and counters as far ahead as you can with the intention of beating the guy (like chess). capoeira has the same mentality as any martial art, it's just masked with the music and its dance-like demeanor.

it's easy to tell when someone is fronting to be a capoeirista, cuz they can't tell you anything else about it besides its power kicks and acro moves. all the flashy stuff you see now was only added in when mestre bimba came along about 50 years ago...its history, rituals, and culture make capoeira what it is.
re: Capoeira and its place in Hip-hop... (karma: 1)
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 07:32 PM
People need to keep in mind...
Capoeira is "masked" behind music and dance because the martial art was outlawed by portuguese settlers/slave owners...

I'm in total accordance... Capoeira has NO place in hip-hop... It's kinda nice to have some info and an outlet on this site... but it really has no association with the arts of hip-hop.
Invent

ReplySendWatch