Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

I Canít Skate!
By twirler4jesusmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:36 PM

I’m going Ice Skating and I want to know if there are any cool tricks I can try when I’m there. I’m really bad at skating; I can pretty much just go forward. I’m not even very good at that though. Can anyone tell me how to spin around or go backwards or something to make my time there a little more fun?

3 Replies to I Canít Skate!

re: I Canít Skate! (karma: 1)
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 07:35 AM
Whoa! It will be quite tough for you to learn spinning and stuff like that when you can go forward.. and that's about it :D
You can try learning how to stop, if you don't already know how, because I think it's one of the most important things to learn.
Then you can learn some funky footwork like swizzles and uh. okay well I call them 2foot and 1 foot scullys, I don't know what everyone else calls them.

I tried to find some online teach-yourself-to-skate sites, but I didn't find any. Here's my try

Scullys - Start with your feet in a v-shape, heels (or back of blades) touching, and toes further apart. Bend your knees and push outwards (until your toes are about shoulder width apart or abit more) then pull your toes together first so your feet end up in an upside down 'V' or an 'A' shape. (your toes will be touching, and heels apart).
This takes some getting used to, and helps if you already have some forward momentum - ie, take a few steps first, glide on two feet then try to do the scullys.

Bunny Hop - this is a small jump you can try. You first have to be comfortable gliding on each foot for about 3counts. Glide on your left leg and keep your right foot by your ankle, off the ice. (This is for right-handed people mainly). Jump up and off your LEFT toepick (the part right at the top of your blade that looks spiky) so both feet are off the ice for a micro second. Put down your RIGHT toepick into the ice and then your LEFT whole blade to glide off. Your right toepick should be like a push off for your left leg.

OH I just found a really good website. www.sk8stuff.com . . .

good luck!
re: I Canít Skate!
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 07:57 AM
Yeah...unless you have your feet under you doing "cool tricks" will be sort of difficult.

Usually what the kids do at my rink is just try to imitate the more advanced skaters. I don't really recommend this because you can theoretically REALLY hurt yourself but that's just me being old and motherly. For now I'd concentrate on having fun with your friends rather than trying to "look cool" - just because you can't spin or jump doesn't mean you can't have fun. Work on going around the rink and getting comfortable with regular skating. Then if at the end of the session you're a little more adventurous you can try some other stuff.

If you're really interested in learning the finer points of skating the only real way to learn is to have professional instruction.
re: I Canít Skate!
By twirler4jesusmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 03:30 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments. Obviously, since I can¬ít skate I¬ím not going to be able what you might consider ¬ďCool Tricks,¬Ē but I¬íll try what you told me Jump. The scullys seems easy enough but I¬ím sure to spend some time on my can if I try the hops. Sunshine, you made me laugh when you said, ¬ďFor now I'd concentrate on having fun with your friends rather than trying to "look cool."¬Ē I¬ím definitely not planning on looking cool. I¬ím just going with my husband and he doesn¬ít care if I look like an idiot. He plays hockey and can skate quite well so I¬íll probably end up having him pull me around the rink.

ReplySendWatch