Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

What was the worst thing that ever happened at a competition or practice?
By PointOfNoReturnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 21, 2005 06:38 PM

The title explains it pretty well! Once when I was 9 I was doing a (I think) moves in the field type program and you used half the ice. I had been practicing it on only one side of the ice and when it was time for warm ups I found out it was on the side that I had never practiced on! I ended up leaving out half the required moves and doing the rest totally backwards and I obviously came last! It was so embarassing! And then once at practice when I was little I almost got hit by this 17 year old who was just landing some triple and his (really mean) coach like yelled at me! From then on I was always afraid of other people and stayed as far away as I could from other skaters!

14 Replies to What was the worst thing that ever happened at a competition or practice?

re: What was the worst thing that ever happened at a competition or practice?
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 21, 2005 06:51 PM
That's not cool for a coach to yell at a little kid for getting in the way. It's a lot harder for little kids to watch out for the older ones. The guy doing the triple should've looked out too.
Anyway, I have luckily never forgot a program before, but in my intermediate pair test my partner did. He went into a pair sit when we were supposed to do a death spiral. We ended up practically just stopping, talking about what we would do quickly, and then picking up the program again. Thankfully we still passed, but we had lots of comments about break in choreography. Ugh.
I've also stepped on the ice with my guards on right in front of the head coach of the rink. He always intimidated me, so it was really embarrassing to do that with him right next to me.

It's always embarrassing too when you fall on something stupid like crossovers. I've fallen over just standing at the boards before too. Haha. Those falls almost hurt worse than falling on jumps. You're just not expecting it.
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 21, 2005 07:20 PM
one time i was about 7 getting onto the ice it was an open session and a skater he is in junior now but then he was learning his first triples, and i had stepped out onto the ice and as a stepped out he came skating by to set up into his double lutz and we totally collided, and i got whipped out being smaller then him... it was so scary and after that i always be so careful of getting onto the ice.

also another scary thing that happend is when i was about 8 i was skating back wards in this weiord arena and there were no boards and i triped and skated right onto the cement and hit my head on a table...
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 22, 2005 08:28 AM
OH no! That must have hurt! I hate it when there aren't any boards. My rink has sort of a step down from the normal rubbery floor to the ice, so it's alright, but this other rink that I went to for a competition - the ice just slopes down a little and suddenly there is rubber floor. It is very scary, and you actually have to skate uphill abit to get to the flat part of the rink.
Sigh, I totally forgot how to do one of my jumps in this competition, and fell on it Every Single Time I tried it. Sad. Haha, I've done the 'step on the ice with your guards' too. Embarassing, especially since it was an international competition. Luckily it was just the warm up bit.
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 22, 2005 08:57 AM
I've only done one competition and I almost fell on an element...and I just wasn't prepared and I felt so foolish so...yeah, quite embarassing.

I've taken some nasty falls (including a belly flop while attempting a flip jump), missed my toe pick on a toe jump, ran into people (almost sliced a kid with my blade on Saturday by accident - why was he just SITTING on the ice?)

Fortunately I haven't had anything TOO devestating happen.
By skatendance
On Fri Sep 09, 2005 05:13 PM
Ouch some of those stories sound like they hurt!

Years ago I was practicing skating skills (Canadian program- its basically footwork exercises) and another girl came along- we couldn't have possibly seen each other give what we were practicing- our blades linked and we both went flying literally.

Test Day- Skills One (the highest skills now called Gold Skills)- you have to do a footwork routine to music of your selection. The music person shut off my music 40 seconds before the end of the program, thinking the music was over for some reason. So I had to skate without music- luckily the judge accepted my program but since timing was one of the criteria and there was no music for the latter portion I wasn't anticipating it. I passed! :)

Junior Silver Freeskate test- was having a bad jumping day and missed two elements during the isolated elements part of the test no matter how hard I tried, yet somehow nailed them twice each in the program :) That was a really good feeling landing the last jump.

hehehe this is a funny one: I didn't pass my Fiesta ice dance test on the first time because my coach had a wrong step. My coach felt really badly and we passed with flying colours the next time :)

Recently- someone left a kleenex on the ice, and I was doing my Argentine Tango. At the twizzle point, I tripped on the debris and went face first and ended up with a knee that had a bump the size of another knee which turned into the biggest bruise I have ever seen in my life (it was bigger than my knee)
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:48 PM
This didn't happen to me, but...

At a local competition, one of the girls (I think intermediate) threw up in the middle of her program.
She bailed out of a spin and scrambled to the hockey box- luckily nothing got on the side, and she wasn't in the hockey box where the judges were!
The worst part was, they didn't turn off her music for ages!
After a few moments to collect herself, she went back out on the ice (so brave!) and finished the last twenty seconds of her program, including a clean double flip-double toe! She got sick fairly early in the program, but I don't think that they're allowed to rewind the music... and they left it running a long time.
But we were all so worried aboout her...
By Irishqueen
On Mon Sep 26, 2005 02:49 PM
At my first ever synchro nationals, I collided with another girl going backwards in egg-beaters. I fell backwards over her skate and knocked myself out for a few seconds. I dont really remember the actual collision but I saw it on tape...not pretty, legs flying over head etc. Fortunately, I regained sight pretty fast and was able to catch up to the line....Needless to say, we didnt place very well.
By renatelemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 03:08 PM
This didn't happen to me, but to my coach (a long while ago...) :)

skating.dreamhosters.com . . . (right-click and save the file, please. Warning: it's big, over 21 MB)
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 04:57 PM
Oh my gosh! Good thing he didn't get hurt. That same thing happened to my old pairs partner a while back. He landed a double axel and his blade broke off. Scary stuff
By etoile_et_lune
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 02:31 AM
I got concussion from falling out of a spin and I can't remember a thing! My coach said he saw me laying there and asked me what I was doing and saw that my eyes were all glassed and everyhting. The next thing I remember is waking up on abench in the rink! I cna't remember anything before it either! Like, nothing from the day, not what my coach had told me or anything!!
Another time (when I was beginning) I was trying to land a three jump and my toe picks got in the way and I went skidding across the ice, went into this girl who was just standing there's ankles and she fell on me and it was a chain of about five people - so embarrassing.

I also remember one time when my coach was teaching once of his junior champions and she fell and he laughted at her (cos she was so awful and snobby) and it turned out she'd broken her shoulder bone and then she quit skating! And she was so good!!!
I love skating!!
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 03:35 AM
i used to get yelled at all the time to get out of the way of the older, faster and champion skaters....i get very scared to skate on the same sessions as them.... generally just hid in the corner paracticising new jumps slower and my spins.

another time i was landuing my double salchows and i landed but as i did my knee fell inwards... eeeeeeekkkk it hurt!!! lol

another time.... i almost forgot my programme in a competition and crashed into the barriers.... ooooooppppppsssss!!

lol..... but in general i had great fun skating!!!

twinkletoes84 x
By PointOfNoReturnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:39 AM
^ I thought I was the only one like that! Every time I was terrified of getting in some older person's way so I basically stayed in the same spot all the time next to the boards!
By etoile_et_lune
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 07:36 PM
oh, I remember one other time, there was this hockey skater (I don't even know what he was doing there!) and I stepped onto the ice and he skated straight into me and started yelling at me! I was spralled out on the ice and his blade cut my leg! I couldn't believe it! And he didn't even help me! He kept going on about what a stupid girl I was and how I was trying to get injured, swearing and carrying on. I'm sure there are a million more stories I could tell about people like that at my rink!
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 06:31 AM
Ewww Hockey Skaters!! *Shakes Fist Madly*
Alright, some of them are okay, but others seem to have this uncanny knack for getting in every figure skaters way. At my rink, they love to do the hockey stop to spray ice everywhere. Sadly instead of skating up and down the long side of the rink, they skate in and out of the centre of the rink! If you can imagine that, you'd know that it's plain ridiculous. Oh well!

ReplySendWatch