Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Girls & Guys
The Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills! (karma: 57)
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3147, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 05:04 PM
Edited by DaNcE_RuLeS (50177) on 2005-08-25 17:14:10
Made sticky by Lirit (28370) on 2005-08-27 09:15:42

The Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills

I have seen a few posts inquiring about how people manage their time with school, work, dance and everything else…and I decided to make an Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills.

I am currently entering my senior year, and I must admit that I am terrified because I know I am going to be sooooo busy! Even though I have a spare each semester I know school is going to be hard. And I have to worry about applying for scholarships and university applications. I’m currently looking for a new job so I’m going to be working lots of hours to save for university next year. I have dancing 2 full nights this year…and I am in the competitive troupe so that means hard classes and lots of practice, as well as missing school and things for out of town competitions. Then there is volunteering…I have already completed my requirement for graduation…but I am going to be volunteering for children’s programs since I am planning on becoming a teacher after high school. Education programs are extremely competitive and therefore I need experience to put me over the top.
So I’m thinking to myself…all of this…when do I have time for my friends or myself?

Well I was told last year by many teachers that I have great time-management skills because a lot of times I was done assignments and projects way before they were due. And I’m not going to lie and say that I never get stressed out at all, because I do, A LOT. But I’m currently getting better at finding ways to limit my stress, and I enjoy expanding my knowledge on great ways to manage time and limit stress. And now this is me sharing it with the rest of dance.net!!!

HERE IT GOES!!!

*The most important thing to do if you want to manage your time well is to prioritize and decide what is most important. For example, you come home after school and your favourite TV show is premiering, and you want to watch it SOOOOO BADLY right? But then there is your stack of homework sitting on the table, which is all due tomorrow. So here’s an idea: why don’t you tape the show and watch it later on? You could get all your homework done first so that you feel very relived while enjoying your favourite show, or you could at least do half of it, then watch TV and finish the rest later. But the worst thing to do is leave all your homework until later.

Wanna know something else? I find that if I get all my homework done after school right away, that the rest of the night is so much more enjoyable. You don’t have this big burden sitting on your head. Sometime I’ll be talking to my friends at 9 or 10 at night and they will be like “Oh my god I have to go, I haven’t started my homework!” and then the next day I will see them rushing to finish it at lunch or at their locker, or perhaps not finishing it at all. And why did this happen? Because they spent the night watching TV or hanging with friends or doing whatever.

Now I know that it’s not always TV that stops you from doing schoolwork, and that a lot of times it is actually other priorities such as dance class or work or babysitting. But even with these there are ways to manage your time and get everything done.

Dance: I’m sure a lot of you have many classes in one night right? I know I do. But we always have a 15 or 20 minute break in between. So there ya go…15 or 20 minutes can be tons of time to do homework. Bring some chips or cookies and your binder to dance, and you can have a nice little snack and homework break. I’m sure you could get at least 10 math questions done in that time. Or you could write your thesis for your English essay.
Let’s say your dance class wasn’t until later that evening and you did get all your homework done already and the problem is that you feel stressed and like you need some time to relax. If this is the case, bring a book or discman to dance and have some alone time during your break. I know it’s short, but at least you will have a few minutes by yourself to relax before you have to get up and be energetic all over again.
*If you do come home after school and have some time before dance, do your homework then. Procrastination is the worst thing for some one with a busy schedule. And again, the same thing applies here with feeling better about yourself once it’s done. If I go to dance class and know that I’m going to come home late and exhausted and still have tons of homework to do, I feel stressed. But if I’m there knowing that it is finished and that when I go home I an relax and watch TV or go on the computer, then I feel more relieved and happy.

Work: A job can be hard to manage with school and dance. I know even now I’m looking for a job and I was asking my Dad what I should do about availability because I don’t want to go in and say “well I can’t work here, and I can’t work here, and I can only work this day until this time and this day I need to leave at this time” because that would be a major turn off. But my Dad said it is better to be honest and say that you have a dance class and other commitments or whatever than to get hired and tell them afterwards that you need all these days off. And if you are already hired and you are getting way too many hours and it is hard to handle, then talk to your manager. Explain that you are really busy and see if maybe you could get an extra day off a week, or maybe even shorter shifts.
*And the same thing applies here with doing your homework before work, or bringing it to do on your break.

Friends: Sometimes we end up never having time for friends when we are really busy because we are working long hours or have dance class every night. I remember one time when I was in a fight with one of the best friends and we were trying to work it out, and when I asked her if she wanted to be my friend she said “what’s the point, you are always busy and can never do anything anyways.” It made me upset, but I knew it was true. But it’s not like I was trying to be busy and not have time for my friends, of course I missed them. So here are some tips for you to make sure that you do still
spend time with your friends:

*One thing me and my friends always do is go out for lunch at school. This is always great because we are all there and available, and we never have other priorities because it is during school. Ok, well the odd time someone has to finish homework or has a meeting for a school club or something, but not everyday. And maybe it’s also convenient because my school is right near TONS of fast food places. And even if you don’t go out for lunch, just hanging with your friends at lunch either way is great. Say you usually hang with one big group at lunch but you do have other friends to ok? And one of your other friends is starting to get angry because she never sees you anymore. Well you could say “why don’t we hang out at lunch tomorrow?” You could go for a walk or get some ice cream or coffee or pizza. For me, lunchtime never feels like I’m actually at school, because me and my friends always have so much fun.

*STUDY GROUPS!!! This is a great idea that no one ever seems to use. If you and your friends are finding that you are getting tons of homework and never see each other anymore, then why don’t you do homework together! And don’t worry it doesn’t have to be totally boring and school related. Just before exams last year me and one of my friends went to Starbucks. We didn’t have a class together but we quizzed each other on our notes, while drinking coffee and having fun at the same time. Another idea is to have like a slumber party, and you can have popcorn and movies and stuff as study breaks, but then have sit down times when you really get serious about your work. I like to follow a “study for an hour, fun for an hour” plan…which I always follow around exam time. This means that I will study for an hour, and then take a break for an hour and watch a movie or go out with a friend. Then I repeat it again. This way your brain does not get totally overloaded and feel like it wants to explode. And this way you don’t feel so stressed out, because you are studying but you have also had fun too. After using this method for a couple days or a weekend before exams I always feel very prepared and have usually done well.

Here are some general time-management tips that are good for everything, and for everyone to use!!!

Lists: Lists are our friends. I always make lists. Things I need to buy, things I need to do, people I need to call, or pro and con lists when I am making a tough decision.
Lists are great because all of your priorities are right there, and then as you accomplish them you can cross things off and feel good about yourself. For example I always used to make lists on weekend last year…and it might say something like this:

-Do laundry
-Call Amanda
-Practice dances
-Finish science lab
-Watch a movie
-Make Grandma a birthday card
-Vacuum room
-Walk the dog
-Go out for coffee with Steph
-Finish English homework

I always find that it keeps me very organized and that I usually get everything done. And I always make sure to include things for myself such as “watch a movie” or “go out for coffee.” But just because they are on the list doesn’t mean you should do those things first and leave everything else until later. Again, follow the “study for an hour, fun for an hour” plan. But of course it doesn’t just have to be with studying. For example, do your laundry, some homework and clean your room, and then watch a movie. Then make your grandma a birthday card, do some more homework, practice your dances, and then go out with a friend.
See how it works nicely into an equal and balanced life?

I also make lists with my friends names sometimes. Because I have a lot of friends as well as a busy schedule, it is hard to hang out with all of them all the time. So for example if I just went to the movies with Heather and Carley, I will cross their names off. And next time I am free to go out, instead of calling Heather and Carley I will call Alysha, because I haven’t seen her in awhile. Of course sometimes we all do stuff in big groups, but that doesn’t always work out as not all of my friends are friends with all my other friends.

Planners and calendars: I find that I am always pretty good at remembering important things. For example, I could probably tell you what time I work on Saturday 2 weeks from now, or what day my English paper is due next week and what day my science test is this week without looking at anything. But there are times when I forget things, and not everyone can remember things like that. So the solution is the wonderful invention of planners and calendars. I happened to find the coolest planner ever from Chapters, and I am actually excited to use it. With a calendar or planner you can mark down all of your appointments, due dates, work times and dance classes. This way you can always refer to it to know when you are busy, and when you have to have schoolwork done by. And then at the beginning of every week you can look for the empty spaces, and fill in things like “hang with friends” “go shopping” or “go rollerblading.”

Time for yourself: I am concluding my very long but hopefully very informative post with “Time for yourself” because I do believe that it is the most important thing (well other than homework of course). But seriously, if you don’t have time for yourself then you will end up going crazy. I guess I could say “fun time” in general, but sometimes even going out with your friends can be stressful and tiring. Trying to find rides if you don’t have your license, trying to decide what to do, spending money when you know you don’t have much, and then getting home late when you have to work the next day. So you don’t always have to hang out with your friends when you need a break. Sometimes it is good to just have some alone time too. And I know that there are sometimes weekends when I’m off on day and I don’t have much homework and I love to just sleep late and then stay in my pajamas ALL DAY. I will just lay around the house and do absolutely nothing, but that is what is so great about it. Here are some things you can do for yourself when life is getting to be too much:

Go and get your hair done
Take a bubble bath
Read a book
Watch a funny movie
Write a story
Give yourself a makeover
Go for a walk
Get some ice cream
Bake cookies
Do scrapbooking
Rearrange your room
Paint a picture
Lay outside under the stars
Get up and watch the sun rise

And I’m sure we could all think of many more.

So to conclude I would just like to say good luck with this upcoming school year, remember to put priorities first and to have fun later. And remember to take breaks in between studying and work and dance, and to make time for your friends and yourself as well!

If anyone has any more questions or needs any help with managing a particular situation don’t hesitate to pm me.

And if anyone else has any other tips feel free to add them.

Good luck everyone!

43 Replies to The Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills!

re: The Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills! (karma: 2)
By PinkPearlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2044, member since Sun Aug 17, 2003
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 05:24 PM
Edited by PinkPearl (71808) on 2005-08-25 17:25:39
Edited by PinkPearl (71808) on 2005-08-25 17:26:12
Wow! What a wonderful post. This is REALLY helpful. I procrastinate a lot..because of dance.net lol, and I still ended up getting everything done, but I need to learn to control it because I know I will be getting a lot of work this year and I am doing a lot of dance. If I'm ever having trouble with my time management, I will not hesitate to take a look at this post or PM you :) One of my goals this year is to start my homework right after I get home from school and to be more organized. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas on time management with us, I rated you up! I think this should be a sticky even!
re: The Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills!
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3147, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 05:27 PM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2006-03-15 23:05:52 star farming
Thanks! So glad that I could help!
By tip_toe_dreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 782, member since Mon Sep 20, 2004
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 05:27 PM
Excellent tips. I know that time management was a big issue my senior year. So much goes on. These are very helpful. Keeping a planner around helps soooooo much. Its how I keep track of my homework assignments and everything else. Great job in taking the time to post this.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Fri Aug 26, 2005 07:52 AM
Wow, and I thought I was the queen of time-management! Lists are my best friend, anything that can go on a list goes on a list... my room is covered in lists!

Angelina xx
By misscarousel Comments: 94, member since Fri Jul 22, 2005
On Fri Aug 26, 2005 09:07 AM
Wow, I am defnitly bookmarking this post! I usually do pretty well managing all my dance, schoolwork, etc., but I've had a few breakdowns... this should help. I also need to work on scheduling in more time with friends. So thanks very much! This really helped me :).
By JazzyTapper64member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2899, member since Mon Apr 05, 2004
On Fri Aug 26, 2005 01:40 PM
Thank you so much for this post, I always have problems with time-management and procrastination. This will really help a lot!
By Incarnadinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9923, member since Thu Oct 25, 2001
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:08 AM
Awesome post dance_rules...I'm sure it'll help alot of people.

Great ideas and advice too. :)
re: The Ultimate Guide to Time-Management Skills! (karma: 1)
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 02:26 PM
YAY my first sticky!!!!

lol i'm glad that mu information is informative and helpful!!!!

good luck guys!
By dance_grlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1668, member since Sat Apr 17, 2004
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:45 AM
yes, i can't count the number of times i've given people on DDn information and tips on time management and organisation, this is really useful and clears it up.
Anither tip is to keep everything super organised, it saves alot of time, though it takes a little work to begin. Make sure you organise everything. Have seperate bags for everything, sothere's no swaping and switching. I don't mean every little thing, but have ONE dance bag etc. so everything is where you can find it.
Keep school books/work organised in one particular box/folders, so you know where it is.
Prepare for things in advance, if you know you have dance the following day, organise your bag and put the snacks etc. in ready, so less rushing around, same goes for school books, keep a timetable of lessons and put books in the night before, so you know they're ready, and you can work around problems like a lost book, BEFORE it's too late.

Those are just some added tips! Happy time management!hehe
dance_grl
By reelxdancer Comments: 106, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Sat Sep 03, 2005 08:30 AM
gosh, thanks so much for this. i know im gonna be really busy this year with dance, marching band, HIGHSCHOOL (eek), and 2 swim teams.

but i think that this really helped me, since im sorta a procrastinator.
By Eireannmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2412, member since Mon Sep 13, 2004
On Mon Sep 05, 2005 03:57 PM
You know what, I'm going into my third year of University, and I STILL haven't got my time management completely under control. This post is extremely helpful, and I hope I'm able to implement some of these strategies this year. Thanks!
By chicky13 Comments: 689, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Mon Sep 19, 2005 06:10 PM
good post! this relates to my "How to Study" class for reading. good ideas!
By aviv Comments: 443, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:59 AM
AMAZING post. i felt so reassured about the "friends" category. i am deffinately way to busy for my friends, but the post made me feel way better.
By Dancing_Queen_03 Comments: 45, member since Thu Oct 27, 2005
On Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:10 PM
Thank you so much for this post! I've always been a big procrastinator, but this should help. I'm glad that you included friend time and me time in it to, because I think that's important.
By codeimagine Comments: 66, member since Fri Nov 18, 2005
On Sat Nov 19, 2005 07:13 PM
So glad read this post! I am literally not doing homework assignments or turning in essays on time. My life is miserable and somehow I managed to get an A on a science project that I mostly just did in one night, which wasn't a good idea to do. Anyway this is some great information and I probably gonna go tell some of my friends about it.
By cass1243 Comments: 24, member since Fri Dec 02, 2005
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 08:46 AM
I think this will really help me manage my time now. I January I am going to be starting many new things, so I will need to remember your guide. Thanks for taking your time out to post that.
By SlipJigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1141, member since Tue Mar 30, 2004
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:34 AM
Thank you soooo much! I really need to stop procrastinating and this really helps.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:04 PM
This is a great post! Even though I don't have too much trouble fitting everything in, there's still a few tips I could use.

Karma!

*~Cadbury Eater*~

The one that leaves chocolatey smears wherever she roams. The one who eats members who taste like Cadbury. The pyromaniac who burns down hershie factories. Basically the one that unleashed utter pandeoumonium and catastrophe.
FEAR THE CADBURY_EATER!
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4094, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 03:52 PM
Great post! I have sooo much trouble managing my time. And ddn makes it worse, haha. Seriously though, the homework isn't the issue. It's mostly finding time to do all of the chores I'm required to do by the end of the week, and being able to read, talk to friends, and of course practice dance! Thanks soo much! I'll definately be looking back to this from time to time!
By etoile_et_lune Comments: 1322, member since Thu Mar 17, 2005
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 02:28 PM
That was SO helpful! *Karma* Thank you so much :D
By pmm625 Comments: 21, member since Mon Feb 06, 2006
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:30 PM
Your posting offers some great advice. The website franklincovey.com has a lot of information and tools for time management. Some of the stuff on there is free and some costs money, but it's all good.
By x_GIDGET_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Sat Apr 08, 2006 06:04 PM
Very, very helpful. I admire people who can manage their time so efficiently and not crash and burn like I did. My parents were pressuring me to get a job when I had dance two nights and one arvo a week, choir three times a week and musical rehearsal twice a week and well as all my study and commitments (I'm school captain). The only job I could get at the time was one that required me to work until 10:30/11:00 at night and I ended up so fatigued that I had to give up dance because I wasn't allowed to quit my job or stop doing choir or anything. It sucked, but now I do feel happier because I have more free time.

Excellent post though.
By babydannia Comments: 22, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 09:32 AM
hi..i think this is a great post..you have all the reasons on why we don't have time to do what we have to do..this has help me and many other people!
By toutesweet Comments: 57, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Fri Jun 16, 2006 08:41 PM
Absolutely brillant!
Thanks a bunch for this post!
I'm such a procrastinator sometimes, haha.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw