Forum: Highland / Highland - Competitions

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: First Competition Information
By jainemac Comments: 487, member since Mon Mar 16, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 08:44 AM
I have started writing the name of the competition on the back of the self addressed envelope for return of numbers..as recently I was sent a number and I had no idea where/which competition it was from..normally it is written on the back of the number..but not always!
By jesujoma Comments: 23, member since Mon Sep 21, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:57 AM
Thanks for the info, Why is it better to have the registration in earlier? Is thers an advantage to the dancer? or do some cometitions limit the number of dancers?
By candygirldancer Comments: 1, member since Mon Sep 21, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 01:54 PM
some competitions do last to enter first to dance.
By Highlandancerxx Comments: 3, member since Thu Apr 15, 2010
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 07:03 AM
wow this must have took you ages :O! ,this is realy good info for first comps :) karma for you ! xx
By Caidan Comments: 34, member since Sat Jul 24, 2010
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 AM
Really good information and must have taken ages to get it all written down!
By vickyaimee Comments: 40, member since Wed Mar 10, 2010
On Mon Jan 31, 2011 03:34 PM
think this list is a life saver. this would have been great for my daughters first comp. we also take her ds just because time between dances and award presentation is long.
By teuchterWifie Comments: 4, member since Wed Feb 09, 2011
On Sun May 22, 2011 03:33 PM
great information but can you tell me how you get the SCOT-Dance Card and how you would know which level to enter at. Am quite keen to try but dance school does not encourage competitions so very difficult to get any advice.
By GaelicWannabe Comments: 212, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Sun May 22, 2011 05:36 PM
@teuchterWifie - If your in Canada getting a Scotdance card works like this. There is a form you get that must be signed by your teacher who must be registered with either the Scottish Dance Teachers Alliance or the British Association of Teachers of Dance. You send this form with the registration fee and two small pictures of yourself to your provincial registrar. They will then send you back your card. As for what level, no matter how long you've been dancing you start at Beginner and have to work up through the levels by competing.

However, as I've mentioned you will need you teacher to sign the form. Why are they against competing? It seems odd to me your teacher won't give you the information.
By weehighlandlass Comments: 53, member since Sat Oct 13, 2007
On Sun May 22, 2011 09:45 PM
scotdancecanada.ca Click on "sobhd cards" then "2011 dancer registration". From experience, you need a teacher that will work WITH you/your dancer. If your teacher doesn't support competitive dancers and you want to compete, you need to find a new teacher. Good luck.
By teuchterWifie Comments: 4, member since Wed Feb 09, 2011
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 08:33 AM
thanks for your advice but we are in N.E.SCOTLAND and unbelievably many dance school don't support competing. Probably different details regarding cards etc too but thanks for your help
By abeahm09 Comments: 26, member since Mon Jun 06, 2011
On Mon Jun 20, 2011 08:44 AM
Thank you! I found this very useful as I will be competing in first competition very soon!
By kimmymac Comments: 31, member since Tue Jul 28, 2009
On Wed Aug 03, 2011 03:18 AM
this is really good information!
I sure could have done with this when I was just starting out! X
By animal_mad Comments: 95, member since Tue Aug 16, 2011
On Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:02 PM
Really Good Thanks:) :) :D Only thing is in scotland they are called sobhd or Registration cards :).

:) :)
By highlanddancerma Comments: 23, member since Sun Nov 06, 2011
On Sat Nov 12, 2011 06:20 PM
Your post was excellent. I was really lucky as I had some parent's of other dancers in my daughter's dance class to help me. If I didn't, I would have been lost.
By kaytbones Comments: 248, member since Thu Jan 29, 2009
On Sat Nov 12, 2011 09:20 PM
One really good piece of advice to Mom's of younger ones - Make sure they use a washroom before going to the line-up area - they may be back there a while depending on the dances and the number of dancers. I knew mine was in trouble while she was on stage by the look on her face and the wiggling while waiting to be dismissed by the judge. I had to rush backstage, quickly find a toilet, push in front of people to get her back on time for the next dance. Luckily the people waiting in line for the washroom were very understanding about it!
By wrightstar Comments: 11, member since Wed Apr 25, 2012
On Sat May 05, 2012 02:18 PM
It is not correct that it is preferable that hair is in a bun. This is a purely personal choice. May be preference of certain teachers.
By emlougar Comments: 25, member since Thu Jul 14, 2011
On Mon May 14, 2012 07:19 AM
Thank you it's nice to just have someone go over it with you sometimes
By Highlandmum76 Comments: 59, member since Sun Jun 13, 2010
On Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 AM
Thanks for this info, I wish I'd seen it before my daughter started competing, but there a few things that I've learned from it.
By Korinna Comments: 31, member since Fri Jan 13, 2012
On Thu May 24, 2012 05:53 PM
Great job! We started competing about a year ago, but I still found this helpful and made some notes for myself. I'll also pass this on to a few dancers that I know are competing this summer.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
By Karen1234 Comments: 85, member since Sun Jan 29, 2012
On Mon May 28, 2012 11:54 PM
Wow what great information. My daughter has been dancing at competitions for over three years and I think there is many of those things that I am not doing or doing wrong so thank you. I will read it again before the next competition.
By animal_mad Comments: 95, member since Tue Aug 16, 2011
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:20 PM
Very good. The only thing is that in the uk we have sobhd cards :)
By JGray Comments: 17, member since Wed Sep 26, 2012
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 01:51 PM
Ok this might be a stupid question, but if the National dances are last in your dance order, are you supposed to change back into your kilt outfit for the awards? I see so many pictures on the web of dancers in their kilt outfits with medals around their neck but very few in National dress.

I have a competition coming up (my first in 11 years), and just want to make sure I know when to get changed (and quickly from what I understand :)

I may not actually win anything, but it is nice to be prepared:)
By GaelicWannabe Comments: 212, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Wed Oct 17, 2012 07:52 PM
No, you may accept your awards in whatever outfit you were dancing in last. There's no need to change from your national outfit back into your kilt. There could be a lot of reasons for all the pictures in kilts with medals you're seeing. At Championship competitions only the 4 highland dances are danced which are all in kilts. Also, different areas do things differently. In some areas competitions are often held over two days with Highlands done one day and the national dances the second day.
By mickeymom Comments: 36, member since Sun Mar 03, 2013
On Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 PM
Thanks for the great post with all the helpful information! The world of Highland Dance has a very steep learning curve and this is great info for those starting out!
By dancers_mimi Comments: 13, member since Tue Mar 12, 2013
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for this info. My daughter started competing last summer and I read this quite a few times before the first one. I've lurked around here for a bit but have finally joined.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch