Forum: General / Contests

Contests
Sticky: request: Please follow your own CONTEST rules (please!). (karma: 2)
By tanztanztanzPremium member Comments: 441, member since Mon Oct 04, 2004
On Tue Sep 06, 2005 09:59 AM
Edited by tucsonali (108375) on 2005-09-06 10:01:15
Edited by tucsonali (108375) on 2005-09-06 10:05:03 strange formatting... I think I fixed it!
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-09-08 21:18:23 You have to make a request for it to be made a sticky. Just putting "Sticky" in front of the title of your thread doesn't make it a sticky.

I hope that this can become a sticky because it is an issue that seems to happen again and again.

Subject: PLEASE DO NOT EXTEND DEADLINES!

The people who enter these contests spend a lot of time and energy creating creative entries within the specified restrictions. If a contest ends on a certain date, please do not extend the deadline just because you think that somebody may send in a better entry than the ones that the rule-abiding entrants have already sent in. The same applies to the number of entries allowed. Please decide from the beginning and hold firm to your rule. You can always start a new contest once you announce a winner.

Too many times, I have put off doing something else to make a contest deadline on time. I feel that the contest judge should, as a matter of respect, consider only those who have followed the rules. Phew, I feel better now. Do you all agree?

10 Replies to Sticky: request: Please follow your own CONTEST rules (please!).

re: Sticky: request: Please follow your own CONTEST rules (please!).
By MystikMinxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 620, member since Mon Mar 07, 2005
On Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:12 PM
Yeah, it gets annoying when someone keeps re-extending a deadline. I can see extending it ONCE just a couple of extra days, but re-extending it again and again a week or two extra is a bit much.

~Kiki
By Breannemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2041, member since Sun May 08, 2005
On Tue Sep 06, 2005 04:42 PM
I donno, if only one or two people enter the contest sometimes the host extends the contest due to lack of entries or because they were planning to announce a first, second and third place winner. I think you should only be allowed to extend a deadline once, and only if its because you have a lack of entries. I do though deffinetly get what you are saying though, people work hard to submit entries on time.

Breanne :)
By tanztanztanzPremium member Comments: 441, member since Mon Oct 04, 2004
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:32 PM
There's a contest up right now that has pushed back the deadline at least twice now. I'm not trying to "tattletale" but it's a bit aggravating, don't you think? What if DDN had set limits (such as all contests should last two weeks)? What do you all think?
By LilLeprechaunmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 313, member since Wed Oct 06, 2004
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 02:46 PM
i totally agree. Most of the contests i enter , i enter near the end so that i dont have to wait as long to see the persons oppinion. it can be stressful having to wait longer an longer!
Karma!

Lil L
By J_AdoreDansermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1457, member since Thu Nov 27, 2003
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 04:51 PM
BUT

If there are few entries I think that the person should be able to extend the date ONCE!
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 06:08 PM
^^If you've only gotten a couple of entries to your contest, then the problem is likely with your contest.

Is is the 10th contest in a row to edit my avatar or dress the doll?
Does your contest require lots of time to make an entry like some of the "edit my background" contests? Or does your contest assume that everybody has good quality photo editing software?
Did you provide specific instructions? A deadline? Maximum number of entries per person? Restrictions on where entries come from?

Contests that get lots of entries are new ones that we haven't already done before. Look at how many real entries this contest got. www.dance.net . . . Why? because it was unique and new to DDN.

And what is with all the contest originators bumping their contests by replying to every entry?
By tinylildancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1093, member since Fri Jul 16, 2004
On Sat Sep 10, 2005 09:22 AM
I extended my contest for a reason. I was going to have a very busy week and i didnt know if I would have time for judging. So I extended the contest 9 more days. This way, I know I have time.
By stardancerameliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2903, member since Tue May 24, 2005
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 03:06 PM
hi

i agree i dont think you should be able to keep moving the dealine. its unfair on the entrants, they might look back at the post to see the winner , and be disappointed its been exteneted,
love
amelia
xxxxx
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Wed Feb 11, 2009 02:12 PM
I totally agree its true you never hear back about who won after all the effort put into looking for things and everything
By SIKKEY333 Comments: 225, member since Sat Aug 01, 2009
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:37 AM
I get what you are saying but what if no one entered by the deadline then I think extending it is fair.

ReplySendWatchDraw