Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Steps for dancers learning Hornpipe
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 02:20 PM

Just curious as to what steps everybody learned first in their Hornpipe.

Teachers - which steps do you teach first and why. Also why do you choose not to teach certain ones?

I think I'm going to attempt to teach this dance this year (I think I'm going to have to - little dancer moving to Intermediate soon!) and would like a little input :)

24 Replies to Steps for dancers learning Hornpipe

re: Steps for dancers learning Hornpipe
By ehhda_rsimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 03:07 PM
I learned the first step, shuffle over the buckle, heel-pull, and the last step.
By highland_emmy
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 04:18 PM
Same with me.
By highlandlassie
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 04:19 PM
I prefer to choose the exam steps to teach first. That way they can get the most time out of those steps before changing them. The hornpipe is a brand new concept, so many different movements. I like them to stick with the same steps for as long as possible so they can really work on the basics, like shuffles, the break, the first step movement, etc. I know that for pre-bronze you can choose the steps, so I usually went with the very simple 1st, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull and last. (Or sometimes shake and rock for the 3rd step, although heel pull is easier.)
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 04:51 PM
I was thinking about heel pull. We learned shake and rock and I'm not sure I like it that much...
My daughter's first hornpipe
By KSMom
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 05:54 PM
She also learned first step, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull and last step. Later, she learned two more steps.
By JiG_till_u_dropmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:20 PM
i learned the pumping step initially. i was a beginner and by the time i could compete with it i replaced it. but it builds stamina and helps with timing if dancers arent used to hornpipe timing yet.
By maureensiobhan
On Fri Sep 09, 2005 08:47 AM
When I first learned this dance, I did steps 1,2,10,5,8,16. For a four-step hornpipe, I would do steps 1,2,10,16. If you're going to do the 10th step (pumping), do it at the beginning of the dance whether you have to do six steps or four steps. Use it as your third step. It's such a difficult step technically and aerobically that it's better to do that step at the beginning of the dance and get it out of the way. That way, you can use the next two steps (if you have to do six steps) as an area to start gathering steam for the last step, which is another step that is quite challenging technically and aerobically.
On Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:51 AM
We actually don't do pumping at all in my studio. My teacher always thought we could hurt ourselves too badly if we did it incorrectly (which most kids seem to do). Looks like a scary step to me :)
By ceolasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 22, 2005 02:39 PM
I learned 1st, shuffle over the buckle, crabwalk and last. I am in love with the crabwalk step :)
By batd_teacherPremium member
On Sat Oct 22, 2005 04:41 PM
I've taught the first step, shuffle over the buckle, inverted toe and heel, and the last.

I haven't had anyone test in it yet, but will be following the syllabus this year for my dancers.
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 22, 2005 05:14 PM
i learnd:

First (with hop step close step instead of step beat, beat)
By highladershicuts
On Mon Oct 31, 2005 01:16 PM
i learned 1st, shuffling (the 2nd step), heel pull and highcuts
By highlandhottiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:27 AM
i learnt 1st, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull and last. we learned a bit of the rocking at first but it didn't work well for us, so our teacher stopped.
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:00 AM
I learned the same as ehhda_rsi.
By LingScot
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:06 PM
Yet another here with first, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull, and highcuts. After that, I think we learned shake and rock and then inverted toe heel (the alternate, starting with the assemble). I've found that heel pull is easier to teach to beginners than the others because they don't have to move quite as fast! I've also seen gathering in done with a lot of beginning students, but I think that even though it's pretty easy to learn, it often looks very messy when students don't get a clean side travel or don't have good turn out.
By caliHDancer
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:39 PM
I learned first step, heel pull, rocking and highcuts for a four step hornpipe and then did first step, shuffle over the buckle, inverted toe heel, heel pull, rocking and highcuts for a six step hornpipe. I later switched to doing pumping and run and cable haul in both my four step and six step hornpipes and did both those steps for eight years. Although my knees are fine, I would never teach either of those steps to my students. I have seen too many dancers sacrifice alignment to achieve a full knee bend and then end up with injuries. I teach first, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull or rocking, and highcuts.
By the_reel_thing
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 05:10 PM
I learned the shuffel overt the buckel, shake and roll first there prety easy(well, thats what i thought)
By carolinahope
On Thu Nov 03, 2005 01:41 PM
We always did heel pull, rocking, or gathering in when we were first learning the hornpipe. My favorite though is lowcutting:)
By meagid
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 01:27 PM
I learned first, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull and last. Shortly after that I learned the rocking and still do that step today...
hornpipe
By Dancing_24_7Premium member
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 09:00 AM
I think i learned shuffle over the buckle, gathering in, heel pull, shake and rock than, the hi cuts to finish. A side note pumping looks good on a stronger male dancer or female for that matter. But it is a hard step so "you" need to be strong or you fall over! {like me}
Good luck with your student:)
re:Steps for dancers learning Hornpipe
By NewDanceLass
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 05:16 PM
I haven't learned the whole Hornpipe yet, but what i have learned are the breaks, 1st step, and over the buckle. My teacher taught us the breaks first and then said that the over the buckle step was similar, so we went from learning the breaks. Our first step is also like the one you see in the first step of the Lilt, so we worked on those simaltaneously (sp?).
steps
By highlandance101
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 04:06 PM
I learned first, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull and last. My teacher thinks that these are probably the easier steps to make better. Who knows??? :)
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:22 PM
I remember I learned 1st, shuffle over the buckle, shake and rock as my first steps. I see a lot of young dancers learning the heel pull step early on, as well, as it's composed of mostly highland movements aside from the break. I don't think the inverted toe heel is too difficult, either, for younger ones as soon as they get the pattern, and I've seen some really young dances pick up and be great at the down and up step- I guess little legs are pretty useful for that step!!!
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 11, 2006 05:05 PM
I learned 1st, shuffle over the buckle, heel pull & last. I was also taught the crabwalk (could never master it) and one other that I don't know the name of.

Could it be inverted toe? assemble; disassemble; assemble; 4th inter. aerial.

I have never actually danced the dance (other than in class) as we don't have any costumes to fit me. But I must admit it looks neat.

ReplySendWatch