Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Glossary of Irish Dancing Fabrics
By Realtreble Comments: 2094, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Thu Aug 28, 2014 03:31 PM
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2014-08-28 15:33:56
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2014-08-28 15:35:50
Please remember these are costumes. You should be concerned about the dress's appearance at more than 10 feet away not on close inspection. I would leave your dress alone if it doesn't appear dingy from that perspective.

I believe your overlay is "crystal" or "sparkle" satin. I'm assuming you don't want to cut apart the dress to replace the overlay, right? Remedies, in order of less invasive to most:
* Expose your dress to several hours of bright sunlight. Sunlight bleaches fabrics and may be enough to whiten your overlay. Be careful, too much sunlight may yellow the fabric or lighten up the darker thread and/or appliqués.
* Try rubbing the fabric with a dry, new, clean Mr. Clean eraser sponge. Test this on a hidden area of the dress first. Don't rub too hard or too much; you don't want the fabric to pill or shred.
* Try the same technique above with a moist (not wet) Mr. Clean sponge. Same warnings apply.
* Add more clear crystals in small clusters. It won't whiten the fabric but it may cause the dress to "read" brighter on stage.
By mandie_sue0 Comments: 11, member since Wed Aug 27, 2014
On Thu Aug 28, 2014 04:17 PM
Thank you! I was going to add some crystals anyways so i will probably do that because with my luck I may just mess it up haha :)
On Thu Aug 28, 2014 06:46 PM
Clear crystals are the way to go to add brightness not ABs. Small clusters of ss20 or ss30s overall will give the best impression of whiteness. Try scattering your crystals "dry" and adjust them as needed before starting to glue.
On Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:03 AM
Mandiesue,

Make certain that the fabric you are looking at is actually supposed to be white. Organza and crystal satins come in lots of light colored shades: white, ecru, beige, ivory, seafoam. If you can get to an interior seam, see if the overlay is white or the same light shade you see on the exterior. Many DMs, including myself, don't use bright white on certain complexions because it will make the wearer appear sallow. We'll go to ivory or lt. grey instead. You may have just such a dress.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch