Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Do you need perfect turnout for an outside spread eagle?
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 14, 2005 01:56 PM

I can do a somewhat okay inside edge spiral, but my turnout on the ice isn't that great. I've been working on my turnout a little bit, but since I'm an old fogey it's slow going. Is it possible to do an outside spread eagle if you're not 100% turned out? I'm thinking the answer is no, but maybe someone can enlighten me?

11 Replies to Do you need perfect turnout for an outside spread eagle?

re: Do you need perfect turnout for an outside spread eagle?
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 14, 2005 03:09 PM
Sorry to say but you are right you have to have an 100% turnout or otherwise you would be forcing your knees

Sorry I could not give you better news

Love Mama DD's xxx
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 15, 2005 08:26 AM
Yeah. My coach told me that some people CAN and others CAN'T do outside spread eagles. Got kinda sad, because some beginners had almost perfect spread eagles and the best I could do was an Ina Bauer (um, did I spell that right?)
I read Nancy Kerrigan's book - and she said at first she used knees and ankles really badly, but she kept at it, and finally managed to do a 'Brian Boitano' spread eagle (ie, a very good one). So does that mean us inflexibles have some hope?
p.s. I'll read the book again and let you know what she said exactly.
On Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:16 AM
I've been working on my "froggy" and stuff but I think an outside spread eagle is just out of the realm of possibility for me. I'll do a nice inside one, and just wow them with my spirals :)
On Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:44 AM
Ha - half the stretching post is filled with posts about how the 'froggy is bad for you'. I don't know for sure, but I do know I can't even do an inside spread eagle! *grrrrrr* Rather frustrated.
By the way - have you tried to do a rump outside eagle? (I don't know if that's what it is really called)
On Fri Sep 16, 2005 06:16 PM
I know what your'e saying and no, I can't even figure out how to get on an outside edge lol. My inside eagles aren't that good either, pretty curvy. I know they say the froggy isn't good, but I know my limits and I never push beyond where I know I'll hurt myself, and my coach recommends it so...I dunno, it's worth a shot. So far I haven't noticed any difference though lol.
On Sat Sep 17, 2005 09:50 AM
Haha, same here! Because my froggy is pretty far off the ground, I try it on the bed (abit more springy so my knees push down more). If your coach recommends it then I guess it must help, I shall start froggy again. All the best with trying.
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 18, 2005 05:59 PM
I don't have perfect turn-out in first, but I can in second if I'm really thinking about it. Actually, I'm lying with my laptop on the floor, and my feet are actually resting in a one-eighty second position. It's easier than first, and closer to the spread eagle position.

If I do say so myself, I have a very nice spread eagle. I think that it's being able to lean back into it and use my weight is what gives me that extra bit of turnout.
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:01 AM
Yes, the froggy is BAD for the knees. You are only forcing your turnout, same as dancers are in that pose. I've seen more than half of the posts on the stretching forum and on the ballet, highland, and Irish forums advising that stretch. There have been only a few voicing objections to it. I've voiced strong objections to the froggy many times. It's ineffective at best, and injurious at worst. Please don't do that stretch. Read Deborah Vogel's article on thebodyseries.com, in which she explains what the froggy does to the body, and how it can damage the knees.
On Sat Sep 24, 2005 04:55 PM
A little update -

today at class a guy with great turnout started working on his outside spread eagle and not to be outdone I tried one of my own.

I can SORT OF muster one - my left hip turns out fine, its my right hip thats kind of closed, possibly an old injury or something? It looks promising - I might have an outside spread eagle in a couple of years if I keep working at it. I think I need to strengthen my turnout muscles (hip flexors I assume) on the right side and then maybe I'll get it with bent knees, and gradually work towards straightening the knees.

The guy in class can do it pretty well already - a definite outside curve and then he switches to an inside, although his knees are bent and he's not really leaning back. Why is it that more guys can seem to do the outside spread eagle than girls? Or, at least that's my observation at the rink.

Anywho, I'm inspired to keep working on it. That, and ina bauers...I can't let this back flexibility go to waste.
turn out & the froggy
By sk8proksl
On Fri Sep 30, 2005 02:05 PM
Just to let you all know - I can't get close to doing a froggy but have no problem with an outside spread eagle. A perfect turn out helps but what is really needed are strong edges and the ability to lean back into your circle without sticking your rear-end out. If you can keep your buns pushing forward this will increase your chances of successfully doing an outside spread eagle.
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 03:46 AM
Edited by twinkletoes84 (84586) on 2005-11-22 03:47:41
i dont but.... we always said that you're either born being able to do a spread eagle or you're not lol.... cos some of the beginners could do 'em perfect... but then we thought we were just making excuse for ourselves not being able to do them... who knows??

ReplySendWatch