Forum: Arts / Artwork

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Artwork
Drawing Tutorial. How to Draw a Pointe Shoe! (karma: 22)
By balletbelle_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 897, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Wed Sep 21, 2005 03:09 PM
Made sticky by glitterfairy (42646) on 2005-11-22 22:17:16 *stickies thread* There we go!

So, someone posted a message not too long ago wanting to know how to draw a pointe shoe. I figured rather than hide it away as a comment I'd put it here on the board to help others who might also want to know how to draw something. The procedure for this is pretty basic, but it does take practice and you have to really notice objects and their general shapes and such. So, I made a little tutorial to show step by step how you would draw a pointe shoe, the numbers below kind of give a very brief explanation of each picture.

Image hotlink - 'http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/luv2d4nc3/Pointeshoetutorial.jpg'

1. Draw the outline of the opening of the shoe. This is the foundation for the rest of the shape of the shoe. If you can't get this shape right, the rest won't look right.

2. Draw the basic outline of the shape of the shoe. If you're looking at a picture with ribbons or something else in the way, just forget about them, draw what's underneath (I'm sure we can imagine what it looks like under there, we've all seen one).

3. Draw the opening of the second shoe. Once again, the shape is very important. Note the difference in angles between the first shoe and what will be the second shoe. Different angle, different shape.

4. Draw the shape of the second shoe.

5. Add some basic shape defining lines to give the shoe a sense of depth. Nothing too major here, and try to make these lines very light so the shading will cover them (don't worry about it if you don't plan on using shading, make them as dark as you want).

6. Draw in the ribbons. Pay particular attention to the shapes and folds. Don't worry about drawing over any other lines, just draw the ribbon right over the edge of the shoe.

7. Look over your drawing so far and erase any parts of the shoe that are underneath a ribbon (the ribbon should be resting on the shoe, so any lines that represent a part of the shoe covered by ribbon, erase them).

8. Shade in the drawing (or if you prefer, color it in). Really pay attention to where the darkest and lightest parts of the shoe should be. Erase your outlining shapes as you go (or leave them there if they're light enough to hide). Try to blend the shading in with the outline of the shoe to make it look more 3 dimensional.

Additonal tip: I prefer to draw the initial shape of the object (i.e. everything up to step 8) in a very light pencil (4H or lighter), that way any shading I do will cover up all the edges and give the drawing a much cleaner look when you're finished. Well, good luck, and have fun drawing!!

37 Replies to Drawing Tutorial. How to Draw a Pointe Shoe!

re: Drawing Tutorial. How to Draw a Pointe Shoe! (karma: 1)
By miriam88 Comments: 152, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 09:25 AM
Hi
Great tutorial! Finally I can learn to draw pointe shoes ;)
~Miriam
re: Drawing Tutorial. How to Draw a Pointe Shoe!
By muzzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1071, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:37 AM
wow that's really helpful!!
point shoes are just one of those things that no one can draw!! lol ( now i can!!)
Love maria.xx
By Domathymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 535, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 06:48 PM
hey thats awesome!!
i dunno what i was doing wrong before coz mine sure didnt look that good!
thanks
By ejay Comments: 22, member since Thu Sep 08, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 04:59 AM
that really helped i was really stuck trying to draw them !!!!
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2842, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 PM
good tutorial, but I'm hopeless
By Figgyfoto Comments: 84, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:13 PM
Great tutorial! Maybe there is hope for me! But I don't think I'll hang up my camera just yet!
By dancing101 Comments: 150, member since Wed Nov 23, 2005
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:32 AM
that is a very helpful i dint know how to do this before you showed me.
By AyDee Comments: 263, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 07:35 PM
great tuturiol. :)
By SheenaD Comments: 81, member since Tue Nov 29, 2005
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 03:34 AM
Great karma for you
By Dance_for_Eva Comments: 3657, member since Tue Jul 23, 2002
On Mon Dec 19, 2005 03:30 AM
great! thanks! i think i need a lot more practice though...
By born_to_dance_x Comments: 527, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 07:30 AM
hiya
thanks that really helped me :)
By born_to_dance_x Comments: 527, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 07:32 AM
hiya
thanks that really helped me :)
By laurianmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 146, member since Sat May 28, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 03:05 PM
great idea for a post! thanks for sharing
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:54 AM
Those pointe shoes look REALLY good. Thanks for sharing! Karma for you!

*~Cadbury Eater*~

The one that leaves chocolatey smears wherever she roams. The one who eats members who taste like Cadbury. The pyromaniac who burns down hershie factories. Basically the one that unleashed utter pandeoumonium and catastrophe.
FEAR THE CADBURY_EATER!
By bunnyfoofoo Comments: 295, member since Sun May 22, 2005
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:03 PM
wow thanks for the tips!!!!
By Balletcapimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 472, member since Fri Sep 02, 2005
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 03:32 PM
Wow thanks for posting I am sure you have just saved many pointe shoe drawings from this post! This is something I find really hard to draw so thank you a lot!
By artist2 Comments: 35, member since Sat Feb 25, 2006
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:43 PM
I love your shading and coloring. what medium do you use? it looks very real, I admire that dedication and patience keep up the work you'r good.
By Humpuckl Comments: 9, member since Thu Mar 30, 2006
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 05:57 AM
That's excellent. Thank you very much for the Tutorial, I've always wanted to know how to do that.
By dancin_gal14member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 671, member since Sun Jan 11, 2004
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:15 AM
Excellent tutorial! Haha now i can draw pointe shoes that actually look like pointe shoes lol
By REDZ Comments: 73, member since Tue May 09, 2006
On Tue May 09, 2006 09:46 AM
MY TWO LOVES IN LIFE ARE DRAWIN AND DANCE, YOUR STICKY IS VERY INFORMITVE. THANKS
By SilverBellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2198, member since Sun Apr 09, 2006
On Tue May 09, 2006 08:42 PM
Thank-you for this. I'm not the greatest drawer in the world...I now have some basic instruction for my fav. thing to draw!
By TapStar2 Comments: 920, member since Thu May 26, 2005
On Fri May 19, 2006 01:52 PM
thanks babe -this is the first time i have been on the art section and this is the first post i read -its amazing i love it i do AS level textiles so thanks i think it will really help. xxx
By powdadance31 Comments: 290, member since Wed Aug 31, 2005
On Thu Jun 08, 2006 04:55 PM
Thanks for sharing! You make it seem so simple. I tried drawing one once and somebody said it looked like a legging with ribbons. :)
By Buggs Comments: 21, member since Thu Jun 22, 2006
On Thu Jun 29, 2006 01:30 PM
wow! before my pointe shoes looked like pink squashes! that really helped. sorta. it still isnt as good as it could be. i'll stick to theater. yeah.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw