Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Tap Competition Song 8-10 yr old
By GottaDance1381
On Wed Sep 21, 2005 07:46 PM

Ok so I am really struggling with this one. I am looking for a competition tap song for 8-10 yr olds that is definately upbeat but NOT OVERUSED. I have looked at "Daisy Dukes" "Tootsie Roll" "Rockin Robin" but I still haven't found what I am looking for. I know I don't want "Sing, sing, sing" or "diamonds" any of those so often used songs. Help me I know someone out there has an excellent suggestion.

Thanks

23 Replies to Tap Competition Song 8-10 yr old

re: Tap Competition Song 8-10 yr old
By TheCoachmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:19 PM
Try this one The Twist by Chubby Checker and the props are for that, stairs, and a hula hoop.

Coach
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:00 PM
I think you should do "little bitty pretty one" but. I can't really remember how often that is used.
By TAPPY2
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 08:58 AM
I am 11, and last year my solo was to "Trashin the Camp" from Disney Tarzen. It's a fun, upbeat song that I hadn't heard too much before. We did a spin on the song, and called Trashin the office where I got to use a typewritter and a desk. It was fun.
Good luck finding the right song.
By MiSzDaNceRx3
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 02:58 PM
some suggestions are:

Broadway Baby
Puttin On the Ritz
TAP DANCE SONG 8-10 YEAR OLD
By emilysbk
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 05:15 PM
i've been to alot of comps that have little bitty pretty one,
one actually had 3 entries in the same age category for tap.
Kind of embarassing for the 2nd two.
By Libbylou
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 02:04 AM
How bout, Born to Entertain "Some girls like to cook and sew, when I cook its in a show, I was born to entertain" I sung it in the 10 -12 age group, was great and heaps of fun
By Heavenlydancers
On Sun Oct 09, 2005 06:01 PM
If you want upbeat, funky tap "Shake your Pants" by Cameo is a great one. If you are going for traditional tap, Anything Goes, Sugar Baby Bounce, and Footloose are great, fun songs to try.

Good luck with your search!!
Tap comp song 8-10
By dancer_chick222
On Fri Oct 14, 2005 02:43 PM
Hiya,
Ummm, I think Nicest Kids In Town from Hairspray would be good. Some Days You Gotta Dance by the Dixie Chicks.
By tap_gurl_88
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 07:32 AM
5678 by Steps is always adorible. the parents live the cow girl costumes :)
By GonnaBeAStar
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 01:18 PM
Rich Man's Frug, it's excellent and perfect for a little one.
It's long enough that you can cut it differently from any other dancers who have it :)
By prettydancer91
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:27 AM
I like Pinaplle Princess, I'm not sure how over used it is in that age catagory for tap. I know a year or two ago, a little girl who compeated in the 8 and younger catagory brought home reginals with it...
By dancinqueen101
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:40 PM
How about Sailor's Hornpipe with a cute little sailor costume?
By BaLLERiNADiPPYmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 07:49 AM
hawaii 5-0 is cute and pretty upbeat.. im using it for an 8year old.. you can theme the costume then as well..

xox
By prettydancer91
On Tue Jan 10, 2006 05:53 PM
these are some of the tap solos at my studio for the 8-10 students.

Rich Girl by Gwen Stafoni (it is sooo cute!! she is 8)
Cuben Pete (again really cute... i think the girl doing it is 10)
Pinapple Princess (REALLY SUPER CUTE! she was kinda dressed up like lilo from Lilo and Stich.. anywho... she is almost 9.)
Who Let The Dogs Out (age 8)
By TapDancer0817
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 05:18 PM
Choo Choo Cha Boogie
Tashin The Camp
Cuban Pete
Got it
By Dance4teachers
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 04:50 PM
How about "Another Postcard" by Barenaked Ladies....You can hear a clip on itunes....I used it last summer and the kids really loved it...it has a good tempo, is not a "REAL" kids song but really appropriate and fun for this age group.... Good luck.
Tap w/u Soon
Anthony

ps All the songs I use divided into type and age level are listed on my website just4tap.com . . .
By dancinbabe847
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 02:37 PM
Yes, Footloose, We got the beat, stupid cupid, hokey pokey, eyes in the back of my head, hand jive, it don't mean a thing, stay loose, mellow saxaphone, boogie woogie bugle boy. hope this helps
By Girlytapper29
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:09 AM
I think maybe a song like Mambo #5, Lollipop,Build Me Up Buttercup,Din Da,and maybe Burnin' Love
By DADancer78
On Mon Apr 10, 2006 07:11 AM
two good songs are "Ain't nobody here but us Chickens" or "Hot, Hot, Hot" acctualy i thought of one more "We go together"
Tap comp song for 8-10 yr old
By AO4TOC
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 PM
I think that the more classic tap songs are better however for an 8-10 yr old i would suggest, "Some days you gotta dance", "As Long as I'm Dancing" and "Fabulous Feet" = Depending on the tapper's level these offer a variety. Many little ones in our area have done very well with these songs. But like i said, we stick to the classics.
Tap comp song for 8-10 yr old
By AO4TOC
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:42 PM
I think that the more classic tap songs are better however for an 8-10 yr old i would suggest, "Some days you gotta dance", "As Long as I'm Dancing" and "Fabulous Feet" = Depending on the tapper's level these offer a variety. Many little ones in our area have done very well with these songs. But like i said, we stick to the classics.
Competiton Tap Music for 8-10yr olds
By happyfeetmom
On Sat May 06, 2006 12:32 PM
Two great songs are Take a Little One Step from the Broadway Show, No, No Nannette and We've got Happy Feet. My daughter's teacher teaches Broadway style tap and they have cleaned up in competitions with these songs.
By Jenny9
On Thu May 18, 2006 11:27 AM
That is my age division, and last year we did Sea Cruise...we did very well with that dance, this year we are doing Parents just don't understand...and we have done very good this year too! Our dances have been more fun, the older girls are doing Thoroughly Modern Millie.

ReplySendWatch