Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Anyone here doing a degree in preforming arts??
By crystal_sky
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 05:31 PM

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone here is doing a degree in preforming arts? Im leaving school next year, and my mum and i have decided this is the best option for me. We're still not sure where i'll go (or if i'll even get in!) but we're staying positive :D

Can anyone recomened a place for me? Also, i just turned 17... too young??

Thanks!!
Crystal xoxo

8 Replies to Anyone here doing a degree in preforming arts??

re: Anyone here doing a degree in preforming arts??
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 07:19 PM
17 is about the average age you will find of people entering post secondary performing arts courses.

As for which course you would like to do... that depends.. What kind of dance are you into? Are you willing to travel to go to school? Where do you live? Are you looking to teach at the end of your course, study more or perform?
By crystal_sky
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 08:12 PM
Im willing to move if necessary. I live in the South Island though, i dont really wanna move to the North Island (not yet anyway.)

I do Ballet, Jazz, play the violin, and am an ex Rhythmic gymnast (so i can do gymnastics, like walkovers and stuff.)

Do you know anywhere that would suit?

Crystal
xoxoxo
By crystal_sky
On Fri Sep 23, 2005 03:32 AM
I have an audition with NASDA (National School of Singing Dance and Acting) which is based in Christchurch.. im not sure if ill get in but i hope i do! Does anyone else on this board go there?

Crystal
xoxoxo
re: Anyone here doing a degree in preforming arts?? (karma: 1)
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Fri Sep 23, 2005 04:10 AM
heya. I mostly know places in the North Island, so I won't be much help sorry!

I'm sure, being your age, that anywhere you get in will be a start, and if you are willing to make a change after the first year (i.e you decide that the first place isn't right for you, and you want to go to the School of Dance (modern)), then any place is a good start!

Have you asked your dance teachers for recommendations?

Have you looked on www.danz.org.nz? especially on their tertiary section? it's found here.

Have you checked out the Auckland uni website for their Bachelor of fine arts?

What about the Royal NZ School of Dance?

There are also many many post-secondary facilities that will teach you dance, like polytechs, such as unitec (in auckland again)

Sorry I don't know more about the south island :)
By crystal_sky
On Fri Sep 23, 2005 04:31 PM
Thank you so much :) :)
By Iridescencemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 18, 2005 02:05 AM
Edited by OliveMe (94092) on 2005-10-18 02:06:19
Also, Excel School of Performing Arts is apparently a GREAT course to do. Requirements are you have to be at least 16, no qualifications needed, must have some talent... I'll find the website for you. I'm planning on going there after I finish high school.

I realise you want courses in the South Island, Excel is in Auckland. But they have hostels there and flatting is cheap in the area :)
By NZDanzer
On Mon Oct 24, 2005 07:11 PM
I found the website for Excel School of Performing Arts : www.excel.ac.nz
By JazzyJess
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 02:20 PM
I thought it was the National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Arts? That's where I wanna go in 2 years =)

ReplySendWatch