Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

I just saw Ice Princess and I completely fall in love with figure skating!!
By plie90
On Mon Sep 26, 2005 09:08 PM

I've just come back from watching Ice Princess! I loved it! I wish I could do that! When I was little I always wanted to be an ice skater but we didn't have anywhere to do it. That was back then but now there is a place where I can hopefully ask for private lessons... it's rather small but that's better than anything. anyway do you think I can do it? I live in Peru, and it's not common to ice skate but I really want to! I'm 15... that can be a problem also... I don't know a lot about this sport but I love it! I hope you can give me some advice

16 Replies to I just saw Ice Princess and I completely fall in love with figure skating!!

re: I just saw Ice Princess and I completely fall in love with figure skating!!
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 03:37 PM
It's so great that you're going to finally act on your dream!

You're right- it will be harder for you because you're older. The biggest problem for those who start lateris dealing with fear... Those six year olds haven't felt enough pain to be scared!

Don't be scared of falling. It's just not as big a deal as some people think. Bruises fade, right? It hurts the most if you fall because you are nervous. Put all your concentration on making your body do what it's supposed to, and then trust yourself. Don't even think about afterwards.

BEST of luck!
By PlaidSkirt11member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 01, 2005 08:30 PM
i know how you feel. Ice princess is an inspiration to me. i want ot start figure skating but i am not sure if i can. Right now i have bad bunions from dance so ice skating iritates them (i went yesterday and last week :) ) I just wanted to tell you good luck and i can totally relate to you!
By plie90
On Mon Oct 03, 2005 02:53 PM
BallerineGlacee thanks a lot for your advice!! I'm waiting for vacations so I can start :)! PlaidSkirt11 I hope you get better and I think that if we really want to do it we can :]
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 05:32 AM
It's great that you're going to start!

Ice skating has always been a dream of mine- Ever since I saw Michelle Kwan skate when I was about 5.

But I've never done it.Now I do ballet,but might start skating at some point.I am already 15 too.
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:28 PM
Ice dancing was my dream too, but I got a suspected concussion once when I was 9 or 10, and that was the end of it! I still want to take adult learn-to-skate classes though.

Good luck getting lessons! You'll have a great time!
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 19, 2005 06:06 AM
This movie is what motivated me to start ice-skating, I've been in it about a month now.
By dancingbeth
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 09:50 AM
I just got it on loan last night! Seems like it has inspired lots of people. I would love to start, but I am too busy! I really enjoyed the film though!

Beth :D
By live_life_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 02:21 PM
we watched this film in a free english class that we had in school
i loved it and the skating was well beautiful haha
aine xxx
p.s: THE JUMPING SHRIMP lmao too funi haha
By pointeskater
On Sat Oct 29, 2005 06:47 PM
Just so you know, that movie is really unrealistic... skating is a lot harder than that movie makes it seem!
By Dan_Birkbeck
On Sun Oct 30, 2005 04:39 PM
Edited by Dan_Birkbeck (140815) on 2005-10-30 16:42:20 Wrong messege
Hey
Figer Skating Is Ok ITs Quite hard to get into because their is alsorts of diferant menovers you will need to learn if you would like more info plz pm me
i play ice hocky for england and my local team in north east england
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 31, 2005 07:28 AM
Hey yeah it WAS unrealistic. I remember when the Casey was using her computer to teach the other skaters how to land their jumps and center their spins. That seemed like some kind of magic. The worst part was that she was helping one of the girls to land her double axel, and later that girl told her mother that she had landed her 'axel'. (note, axel. not DOUBLE axel.) Who in their right mind would downgrade their double axel to an axel!?
Haha. Oh well, it was a fun movie still.
By etoile_et_lune
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 03:21 AM
WOW! High five sister :) i stopped skating a year ago because my family couldn't afford it (i cried for a week and felt so depressed I wouldn't go near the ice for a year because I was worried I would want something I couldn't have) and ice princess inspired me to gert back to it! sO now I'm paying for myself to take lessons :) go for your dreams :) Strive for the stars, you'll never get anywhere if you don't try :)
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 09:22 AM
BTW - pointeskater - ALL movies/TV shows about sports make them seem easier than they really are...PLUS - You are supposed to make ice skating effortless and beautiful.
On Thu Dec 01, 2005 03:27 PM
Jump, I have to disagree! My mom knows perfectly well that I can land a single salchow in my sleep backwards in five Gs with both my hands and legs tied behind my back while playing Yankee Doodle on the piccolo and wiggling my nose, but when I told my mom, "I landed the sal!" I could hear her grin over the phone. And when I tell our local Novice skater that I can just feel that he's going to land HIS sal soon, he knows I'm talking about the triple.

So at my rink, at least, the rotations sometimes go without saying.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 02:41 AM
:D hahaha, I'd love to land my single salchow doing all that too ;).
I guess when the skaters at your rink are at that level, the jumps expected to be doubles or triples. Most skaters in my rink have only just got all their doubles so we make it a point to say DOUBLE, proudly. :)
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 02:41 PM
Yeah, every rink develops it's own "dialect," and it's always fun to learn what other people say!

For example, I always used to say hard-guards and soft-guards, and then I moved and here it's just guards and soakers!

That might have something to do with me starting to talk to people more, though. ^_^

ReplySendWatch