Popular Ballet

Big Toe Problem by hokiedancer
Hi! I'm an Irish dancer, but many times, we aren't as technically trained, so I am reaching out to...

Forum: Adults / Parents Only

Parents Only
Costume Organizer en>fr fr>en
By PoorDanceMom Comments: 26, member since Tue May 31, 2005
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 09:06 AM

I have seen at competitions a costume organizer that holds all your childs costumes, shoes and accessories. It looks like a rolling suitcase except it is clear. It has a handle and wheels. Does anyone have one of these or know what I am talking about? If so, can you tell me where to get one? Thanks for your help.

12 Replies to Costume Organizer

re: Costume Organizer en>fr fr>en
By Katysmom Comments: 423, member since Thu Apr 15, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:40 AM
I know what you are talking about and they look very neat, but I can't find it. I have always wanted one. But before nationals I bought a nicer hanging rack and then I bought a shoe organizer. Not like the door kind but it hangs from the rod, kinda like the ones to put sweaters and things in but about 1/2 the width. Anyways I have a slot for each pair of shoes, for a bag that I keep tights in and a slot for her jewelry box and the last slot is where I can lay the hairspray and body glitter spray and a hairbrush in. This helped alot to have things easy to find. Also keep each days costumes organized in a hanging bag, take them out in order and as each dance is done I put them into the bag. This has made it easy and she is able to way more of the work. I mostly just gather up what she is throwing off.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
By CdnDanceMom Comments: 683, member since Tue Aug 24, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:20 PM
I've never seen those. It sounds neat. I've seen so many ways of people organizing costumes.

In my case I bought a set of "Martha Stewart" brand wardrobe bags from Sears. They were a good price and are quite durable. They are clear plastic on one side and the other side is a breathable canvas-type fabric. The shoes go into a gym bag and we have a professional-style makeup case. I organize all my costumes into approx three of these bags in order of performances.

But I've seen alot of different methods. I've seen people use suitcases for example and stuff all the costumes into a large suitcase with wheels. I don't know how that works if you have a costume that can be damaged (ie like tutus or costumes with alot of feathers, for example) but I've seen it work for people.

My problem is I don't have an SUV or a van and when I've looked into those clothes racks that you can roll etc., they need a vehicle into which you can at least stand the thing while travelling. So I really love it when we do comps at a decent location with proper dressing rooms or who bring in clothing racks.
By Katysmom Comments: 423, member since Thu Apr 15, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 01:25 PM
If you look some of the clothing racks do telescope up and down. They are a little more expesive but worth it in my opinion.
By OrchesisMom Comments: 65, member since Fri Jul 08, 2005
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 02:21 PM
We've usually used the clothes racks on wheels - and I've either put costumes individually in dry cleaner bags or in those "suit/garment" style hanging bags.
By CdnDanceMom Comments: 683, member since Tue Aug 24, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2005 05:24 PM
Even the clothing racks that telescope down still stand a good couple of feet and you can't take them apart and that makes them wide and not convenient for a conventional car trunk....

We just end up hanging up the bags wherever we can. Or using an available table. We've competed at universities or colleges and had to use classrooms as changerooms. That usually meant lining up a few desks and using them as tables...we do what we must!
On Thu Sep 29, 2005 06:58 AM
Thank you all for your responses. Up until now what I've been doing is using one of those garment racks with wheels. The one I have comes apart into several pieces and is very easy to assemble. Then I put all the costumes in order of performace in garment bags and the shoes in a dance bag. I just thought those other things were really neat. All of your ideas were great too and I may have to steal some of them :) Thanks again!
By Chedva Comments: 504, member since Thu Nov 13, 2003
On Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 PM
I have a clothes rack that comes apart and fits right into a box about 3' x 1'. Fits right into the trunk without a problem. Snaps together or apart in about two minutes. The rack was about $20 at Walmart. Best $20 investment I've made in a long time!
By two_left_feet_2 Comments: 369, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Thu Sep 29, 2005 05:05 PM
PoorDanceMom,
If you ever find it, please let us know. It sounds really good!
By dancingurl11 Comments: 44, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Thu Sep 29, 2005 05:36 PM
Edited by dancingurl11 (126619) on 2005-09-29 17:37:54
Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but heres the website for the costume-izer: costume-izer.com
It holds 8 costumes, 4 pairs of shoes, make-up, tights, etc.
I had one and it was nice because you could transport it by yourself. However as my dd got older I felt the need for simplicity, and we switched to a small suitcase on wheels.
We just folded everything neatly and that worked out very well.
Hope it helps.
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 07:57 PM
dancingurl11, That's it!! Thank you so much!
By twinkletoes28012 Comments: 1, member since Sun Oct 02, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 08:14 PM
I am dead serious when I tell you that the organizer your talking about is actually a tool organizer that you can get from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes;etc. It's in the tool section of those stores.
It isn't that expensive. I got it as a xmas gift to my daughter with paint pens;etc so that she could decorate/personalize it with name;studio;whatever she likes.
It is awesome.
Twinkletoes.... en>fr fr>en
By dramamamaPremium member Comments: 544, member since Mon Apr 26, 2004
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 04:45 PM
And it has the rack on top??? I know that Costumizer isn't the one i'm thinking of...

ReplySendWatch