Forum: General / Hip Hop / Popping

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Popping
Popping Tutorial Video- Hitting and Fresno (karma: 1)
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 05:35 PM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2005-10-02 19:08:31 member request

www.youtube.com . . .

Here is a short tutorial video on popping. This is hitting (the FOUNDATION of popping) and the Fresno (a great exercise for hitting and staying on beat!!!)

Please let me know what you think.. I want to start making a line of tutorial videos for inexpensive.

Invent

38 Replies to Popping Tutorial Video- Hitting and Fresno

re: Popping Tutorial Video- Hitting and Fresno
By SpellieDev Comments: 480, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 06:04 PM
dope tutorial, invent! you explain the concepts very well.

people will pay good money for this!
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:23 AM
EDIT:

Here is the DOWNLOADABLE Link.
You can now DOWNLOAD this tutorial!!!

www.easy-sharing.com . . .

Invent
By best_kept_secret Comments: 61, member since Thu Aug 04, 2005
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:22 PM
oh my god man.

invent.

Props.

you hit HARD.

do you think you could put up a video for basic caterpillar or boogaloo? also, i still got no idea waht animation looks like, i'm going to try and find your old videos.

charles
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:13 PM
Charles,
Ill be making future tutorial vids...
but they will cost ya!!! 15 or 20 bux, havent decided...
these are a little teaser,

the vids for purchase will be better location, on tape, about an hour in length and more detialed with more exercises.
Invent

PS- ill definately be doing those though..
By best_kept_secret Comments: 61, member since Thu Aug 04, 2005
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 08:34 AM
hey invent

when you started off, did you have trouble with your legs too?
im just wondering, because of a choice between a) my arms, neck chest or stomach, or b) my legs, im better by far on my upper body.

oh and one more thing, if you tick and your arms remain tensed the whole way through instead of tensing and relaxing through a move, is it ticking? me and my friend are having a disagreement.

how exactly do you do animation? in words please. i understand the effect that you try to create, but i'm not sure how you do it.

thats probably a bit advanced for me. still,
"the pursuit of knowledge is a noble goal"

peace and chicken grease
charles
By xxxx1 Comments: 6, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:49 AM
First of all it's great that this forum has people who actually give their best to inform and "educate" those who are not capable of gaining such knowledge from other paths!
Second I would like to mention that living in a country (GREECE) in which there is no way that someone can learn the technics of popping it's very encouraging that you post those videos to help us(i mean the beginners :) ).
Last i want to ask Invent if he thinks that we(girls) are more difficult in learning the popping technics.

Sorry for any language mistakes! :)
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:56 AM
I think when anyone starts off, they have trouble coordinating their arms and legs. It's just practice. You'll figure out your own way to get them on time with one another.

That's a good question on the ticking... and a very technical one.
There are those that say you have to be hitting in order to tick. That's how I like to differentiate when I'm DANCING. But the explanation I'm satisfied with, that will answer your question is the following:

What is the difference between strobing and ticking?
Ticking is the style. Strobing is a sub-style of ticking. Both can be done with and without hits (this without hits is crucial to your question...). The difference is, ticking, you are still dancing (you are focused on angles and movement), where as strobing you are MIMING things (as people say "everyday movements"... opening a soda can, combing your hair, walking a dog, whatever...).
I hope that answers your question. If you don't think it does, read it again, because it does, you just need to think about it ;)

Animation...
dimestopping
ticking
vibrating
speed changes

That should answer anll of your questions.
Invent
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:03 AM
XXX1-

I know a good number of girls that are better than most guys. My girlfriend hits harder than 80% of the poppers I've seen.

It's not as difficult for girls, just keep working at it. It is not an easy dance to learn, and it will peobably take a good 2 or 3 months before you even have a good hit, because it is all about training your body to move and work in new ways.

Invent
By xxxx1 Comments: 6, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:10 AM
Thanks for the answer!! Hope that it won't take me 3 months !!
Just dreaming! hehe...
awesome tutorial
By eeksantaeho Comments: 1, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 01:12 AM
thanks so much for that tutorial
i've always wanted to pop but never got a chance to learn properly
thanks for giving me something to begin with
By D4LMD Comments: 210, member since Fri Oct 29, 2004
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 07:36 AM
invent that's a good idea to make Tuts !!
I love this tut, cause I've been wantin to learn how to hit .. , been trying to, and with this tut you'll help me alot Peace MD
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:36 AM
LOL..
D4LMD... always.. I have to get on you about wording!!! lol...
Tutting is a popping style... so people say "tuts" (you tut?? I tut... show me some tuts...)
LOL... no hostility.. just thought I'd let you know... its actually kinda cute this time ;)

Invent
By D4LMD Comments: 210, member since Fri Oct 29, 2004
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 06:00 PM
Lol !! lol !!!
Well .. yeah I know man, I'm not the best in English compared to people who speak English almost their whole life cause Dutch IS my main language, BUT compared to people in my classes over here .. I'm the best in English, .. it's just because I lived in the Caribean :P, I think I can speak decent english !! but I don't live where you live soo that makes it hard for me to say all things correct .. anyway .. Invent .. Props for the tutorial again :D I always respect dancing videos that try to learn people something and that are free .. it's the way it should be, hopefully i'll hit as good as you one day heheh ..

I've been focusing more on hiphop freestyle and reggeaton bubbeling dancin, Sliding and some MJ moves too ..

YUP like you said in your video; most dancers like to do those MJ & Usher moves .. but it's really because it just looks good .. for instance, a guy who does all kinds of hard routines can look less "cool" then someone who does a good sidewalk .. or boxglide .. so you can't blame those people .. besides the way you dance is like pro, It takes way practice .. also for skilled people right ?? so normal people would not quicly get so good .. but they can learn couple glides and stuff ... be cool y'know .... :0

I still think MJ has a great style and can move good ... his slides are good you know, anyway ...

Peace, for more FREE videos go to streetwalkn.com
Thanks
By jamierochelle Comments: 2, member since Tue Sep 13, 2005
On Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:21 PM
I just wanted to thank you so much for your video clip, I can't wait to check out your others. I am teaching dance at a very urban HS and I am looking at ways to reach the kids and my skills in this area are limited but this video helps. I am going to try the tense and relax warm-up with them. Where did you learn? Do you know of any good role models in the hip-hop/ popping style that I could find some information about?
Thanks
By TrippyJing Comments: 395, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:26 PM
Oh, and Invent?

Tut is also short for tutorial in internet speak.
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 01:33 PM
HERE IS THE WORKING LINK:

www.easy-sharing.com . . ., Fresno 1.WMV.html
poppin video
By princesse Comments: 21, member since Sun Nov 27, 2005
On Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:09 PM
Hey thought your video was tight. You mentioned something about possibly selling videos like that right? Well if you did that is a good idea. You are very good at pop lockin and make it look easy. It seems as if I can't see exactly what you are doing so well. You seem so far away.
By shaggyPopsy Comments: 103, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 05:05 PM
Hey i jus wanna ask invent ... How long you bin Poppin...and Do u have songs with Base lines??? Cuz you should dance to those..
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 05:08 PM
Sorry Man major PROPS to you i couldnt hear the base line in the tutorials but i jus picked them owt sweet az..... you awsome a!! SO yeah How long u bin Poppin....

You got hard hits!!!

Peace Owt
Popsicle
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 05:16 PM
Hey Man Soz ta b a pain but were you taught by any one cuz you know a lot of stuff.....
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 05:44 PM
I've been at it for 3 years...
Originaly... for like.. 3 days, I was taught by Legend... since then i've been on my own.

And you dont really need a song with a fat funk baseline..
You can get down to whatever moves you.
By thinking that you are simply limiting your own dancing.
Invent
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 05:46 PM
true that man Major Props... u know the New Zealand funk scene is getting quite big, but ther r still Duds...haha

Peace Owt
Popsicle
By Peleke Comments: 11, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 04:53 PM
Wow...that was very helpful, the first popping guide I've found anywhere on the web-I would definitely pay for some more tutorials from you.
By KR1CH Comments: 31, member since Mon Nov 21, 2005
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 07:19 PM
PLS YHELP ON TUNES THAT USE USE TO POP TO...
what music do u use and who are your fav artists
Kyle Flava Hiphop Crew
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch