Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

Pets
Pet Loss Support/Memorial Thread (karma: 2)
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 06:57 AM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-10-04 20:08:07 This was a great idea.....I'll sticky this. Sorry to hear about Angel! :-( *hugs*
Bumped by hylndlas (107168) on 2007-03-20 12:58:36

Hi guys,

This is an idea taken from another pets forum but I thought it might be a good idea to have one here as well. Possibly selfish on my behalf, but I have a feeling more than just I can benefit from something like this.

Provided the picture works (my first ever DDN photo, whoop whoop), it's a photo of my beloved guinea pig Angel. She's 7 1/2 years old, and was put down a few hours ago when it was discovered she had cancer. She hadn't been able to move her back legs for the last week and a bit (they've been paralysed) but she could still feel pain. Aside from that, she was fine - eating, drinking, alert. Just not moving, and in pain.

I've never experienced a loss like this before. I haven't had any relatives die at a time I could remember clearly, and all previous pets were fish (who, under my care, died after a few months) or died away from me (last two guinea pigs were stolen/attacked, we found parts of one a week later). I'm currently at a semi-pathetic emotional stage where I'm crying at the drop of a hat for any reason whatsoever, but I figure that for once, it's a good thing.

I'm really proud of Angel, because she's been such a trooper, even though she was always the shy, docile one (she outlived her twin sister by a good few years). She's gone through spinal inflammations and heat stress, with plenty of life left to go. But she couldn't fight the cancer, and I'm just glad that it was taken care of before it got terribly bad. I was holding her as she died, and I am so proud of her.

Rest in peace, my loved one!

107 Replies to Pet Loss Support/Memorial Thread

re: Pet Loss Support/Memorial Thread
By Brookemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3803, member since Mon Dec 02, 2002
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 05:17 PM
Aw :( It's always tough to lose a pet that was loved so much. Angel was such a cute guinea pig! I wish you luck getting through this... I definately know first hand how hard it is!

About five years ago we had to put our Golden Retriever Brandy down because she was suffering so badly from hip displasia among other things. It was awful :( She had been in our family since I was only about 5 years old. She was definately an actual family member, and not just a dog. My dad is the one who took her to the vet to be put down, and beforehand he bought her an ice cream cone and took her to the park and let her play as much as she could. She was getting very old and in so much pain, it was just something that had to be done. Poor Brandy... I miss her :(

~Brooke~
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, too. :(

I did a similar thing with Angel - half an hour before we had to leave to go to the vet's (at this stage I had no idea what was going to happen) I took Angel out of her hutch and sat her on the table next to me. I gave her water, and some of her favourite foods, and talked with her for a while.

If anyone's interested, I've spent most of today either asleep (I made the executive decision to take the day off from Uni today), or wandering around the house in a daze doing nothing. One of my close friends who has lost two pets this year told me something which others might find helpful: "In many ways, I'm still grieving for what I feel I've lost, but at the same time, I want to celebrate what they have given to me. Part of that celebration is living on".
By xodncnblondi13member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1440, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:47 PM
awww im so sorry

that is so old for a guinea pig

we had to guinea pigs. Ginger and Coco

Coco died when she was 4 like almost 6 months ago and Ginger died when she was 5 about 2 months ago. it was hard but they had lived a long time. and i felt bad because once we got a dog 2 years ago we didnt spend much time with them.

again i am very sorry its so sad to loose a pet.
By uber_quailmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 140, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Mon Oct 10, 2005 01:28 AM
My dog died two weeks ago. She was my first dog and she was 10 and half. We don't really know how she died, but the vet says she wasn't producing enough red blood cells. It was peaceful for her though, she died infront of the fireplace on a pillow with my family petting her. It was weird though because she was basically my sisters dog, and my sister moved out last May and it realy seemed like my dog waited for her to come to our house because my sister had not been there 5 minutes before she died. Man, just typing this out is making me miss her so much, and I have to admit that I'm tearing up a little now.
By AisAis Comments: 2969, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Sat Oct 15, 2005 05:54 PM
I know exactly how you feel and I hate it when people think it's silly being so upset over an animal.
When I was 9 my rat died and it was the first thing I'd lost, becasue no one in my families died before and it was my first pet. He was put down becasue he had heart falliare and otherthings totally out of the blue and didn't have anything wrong with him until about 2 days before. I cried for about a week. I kept thinking okay I'll get on with something now and then thinking about it and crying again. When I got back from the vets I had a bath for about 2 hours and just sat there. It felt like a big empty hole in my stomah, it was horrible.
His brother rat lived another 2 years!! The vet said not to expect him to live long becasue he would miss his brother, so I spent so much time with him and gave him a really good life. He went through so much, he had shampoo for his skin problem, then an eye infection, and was at the vets to much they knew us as 'Kevins mum' (his name was Kevin). Then he got cancer and had a big tumour, and we had the option of putting him down or the opp which would have about 90% chance of coming back. We did the opp and it didn't come back! Then he got artheritus in his back legs. I had to makesure he's eaten and drunk and wash him (on vets instructions) they said to look after him until it got really bad and then to bring him in to be put down. Then one night he was really bad and acting really sleeping and drinking loads and loads of water and starting to felt cold. We made him a bed with towls with a hot water bottle and he died in his sleep like a little baby all wrapped up and warm. I still cried but I was prepared for it so I wasn't as bad as before. Actually I'm getting tears in my eyes now though lol. I loved Kevin :)
We were ment to disect rats at school a few months ago though, and that brought back when my first rat died all over again. uh some people are sick.
By MovinTooFastPremium member Comments: 1344, member since Mon Aug 22, 2005
On Sun Oct 16, 2005 05:05 PM
Awww. I don't have any pictures, but I want to remember my baby teddy bear hamster. He was 7 weeks old I think, and he died 1 week and 1 day after I got him :(. His name was Speedy. He passed away over a year ago I think, and I miss him still. We put him in a box with cotton and my dad buried him where all of my other angel pets are. And I want to remember my other hamster Rosie, who I got shortly after Speedy died, and she died 1 week and 2 days after I got her. But then a while after she died, I got a different hamster for Valentine's Day, her name is Honey, and she is still alive after more than a year! So there is always hope :)
By gym_star Comments: 99, member since Tue Mar 02, 2004
On Mon Oct 17, 2005 04:42 AM
I thought I would contribute to this thread as today my baby has been put down.I had a black labrador, aged 13, he was beautiful and I love him so much. He was only taken away from me 40 minutes ago and im trying to keep my mind occupied so I thought I would write about how much he meaned to me.

He went so peacefully and doing the thing he loves the most; eating his digestive buscuits :] . I nearly chickened out from being with him when he went but I wanted him to remember me before he went, so I tickled his tummy as he fell asleep, which he loves so much and makes him smile.

What made this so hard was that I have been dreading it for weeks and now when I go downstairs and knowing that it is empty breaks my heart. It'll take time before we can get another dog and no other dog can be as great as him, seriouusly, everyone loved him and I mean EVERYONE, he was amazing.

I'll remember all of the cute, great, special times I had with him, such as him singing happy birthday with us, giving him his rubs, playing ball on the beach, playing shark with him, all of these fond memories I will keep safe in my heart.

He's probably eating chocolate in doggy heaven now, running around with that cute smile and crazy run :]

Thanks for listening
Gym_star
On Mon Oct 17, 2005 04:53 AM
*hugs to gym_star*

I've got a black lab as well, and I love her to pieces.

I can sympathise with how painful it can be to actually be there when your loved one, but I think you were so brave to do it. Good on you, and I bet he knew you were there, and appreciated it.

It sounds like he had a great life. He's pain-free and in doggy heaven now (oh dear, I'm tearing up now as well, empathy grief?). Everything in this life has to go sooner or later, including us... the best we can do is to make the most of it, and when the time comes (and if we have the option) we can be there for our loved ones. From what I see you did everything you could, and were there right till the very end. It's ok to cry, and take the day/s off work tomorrow if you need it. Change can be painful, but it happens - take all the time you need. *hugs again* Time will make things easier - it probably doesn't feel that way right now but it will. *hug*
By gym_star Comments: 99, member since Tue Mar 02, 2004
On Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:59 AM
Thanks glitterfairy

You're right, he did have the best life a dog could ever have and his time was right, thankyou for your reply it meant a great deal to me when I was so fragile after his passing.

I have never lost an animal so close to me and I never realised how people felt when they lose one but now i have felt it, it breaks you're heart.

So far i've been 25 minutes without crying and I had a sleep in the afternoon, i had a dream about him and it was a happy one, I felt no pain, i know he is happy and his spirit will live on.

When i eat i know he's there thinking 'i want some of that' , when i come in from college he's there wagging his tail at me, when i go to bed i know he is there saying 'goodnight' and he will live on not in body but in spirit.

*receives hugs*
Gym_star
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Oct 17, 2005 07:05 PM
When i eat i know he's there thinking 'i want some of that' , when i come in from college he's there wagging his tail at me, when i go to bed i know he is there saying 'goodnight' and he will live on not in body but in spirit.

So true......

Loved ones are never really gone.....as long as you remember them.

So for my many furry friends that have gone over the rainbow bridge I say thank you for enriching my life.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Wed Oct 19, 2005 03:39 AM
This is a really good idea. I sympathise for all of you as I know what it's like to lose a pet. My rabbit died 1 and half years ago.

R.I.P Marshmellow.
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Thu Oct 20, 2005 01:00 PM
What a wonderful idea.

First, my deepest sympathy to all in this thread who've lost their beloved pets.

Second, I've just lost one of my dogs and am really struggling with her loss. It was extremely sudden and caught me completely off guard. But I know she's at peace now. I miss her.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Thu Oct 20, 2005 01:20 PM
Hey.
I feel your loss on what it feels like to lose a pet.
I have just recently lost my pet cat Mitsey she was 14 years old. We got her put down though, because she was suffering from her old age severely.
I have also lost my two dogs. But that was a few years ago.
It's so odd that these animals that are your pets that you can't even speak to or understand hold together so much of your heart.
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Fri Oct 21, 2005 09:29 PM
glitterfairy, I also lost a guinea pig to cancer last year. He was just over two years old. Your guinea pig lived to a great age despite the illness, 7 years is on the high end of average. You are proud of her, but I'm sure she's proud of you too for the care you gave her!
By LilDancerGalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 269, member since Sat Jan 24, 2004
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 07:56 PM
My hampster died last night... with me laying next to her... It is truely amazing how close someone can get to their pets... even pets as simple as hampsters and goldfish... but i loved her so it was hard to see her go... but she was sick so it was best that she left *tear tear*

Image hotlink - 'http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/LilDancerGal/100_0155.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/LilDancerGal/100_0156.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/LilDancerGal/100_0154.jpg'
R.I.P to Kit-Kat (Kitty) My beloved hampster...
Peace to Kitty the Brave
By leap2livemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2308, member since Wed Feb 09, 2005
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:03 PM
Gym_Star: You seriously made me cry my eyes out. I am bawling right now! My cat died last year. She was hit by a car. The problem was that it was my fault.

I have astma, so my dad made our wo cats live outside. (One of them already did.) I told him not to put Trixy outside, because she would be hit. He said that she wouldn't, but if she did, I could blame him. Well, she did! And it was my fault because I couldn't convince my dad to let her stay inside. For about 5 days I cried to the point where I couldn't cry anymore.

I wasn't even that close to her. When I was younger, I would chase her and laugh as she ran through the house, but now I hate myself because I would scare her half to death. I don't know why I was so stupid.
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2101, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Thu Nov 03, 2005 08:14 PM
Edited by tiny_dancer_x0 (133797) on 2005-11-03 20:15:33 pic didnt show up
Edited by tiny_dancer_x0 (133797) on 2005-11-03 20:17:21
www.dance.net . . .

In loving memory of Penni
12/16/1995-10/11/2005

May she rest in peace.
I love you, baby girl!
By celtic_fan Comments: 86, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Sat Nov 05, 2005 06:34 AM
aww im so sorry to here i ot my budgie 3 weeks ago and ive just let him out his favourite place is sitting on the blind!!
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Tue Nov 08, 2005 05:34 PM
For the second time in three weeks, I've lost a pet. My favorite pet, my cat Willie, died with no warning yesterday morning. Here's a separate thread I posted about him. I am heartbroken beyond all description...I really don't even know any words that can adequately express how sad I am.
By Morgziemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 119, member since Sun Jul 03, 2005
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:16 PM
I read every single one of your stories and I cried. I'm crying right now. The thing is, as I was reading them, I was thinking that I never want my dog to go. I never want her to, but I know she has to. She's my first dog after talking my dad into letting me get one for about 11 or 12 years of my life. She's 2 and very healthy, but when I read these stories, I put myself in y'all's place and my dog in your pet's place and imagined how sad it must be. I'm very sorry on all of your losses. Pets are a joy to have and you become attached quickly, very quickly, and once they have to go, you don't want them to. I know I'm not going to want Mallory (my dog) to go once she has to, but I'm going to have to let her once her times comes in the future.

But she's all fine now. I sorta made it sound like she isn't doing okay, but she is. =D I'm just saying that I don't ever want her to go...
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 05:47 AM
Lildancergal and JoyNoelle, my deepest condolences to you both.

Words can't really say much at this time. But you know, time *will* make it easier. Rejoice for the times you did share together, and know that your pets passed on happy and loved - I know they had good lives.

Morgzie: Loosing pets is hard. But spending time with them - loving them, and being loved back - is worth so much more. We all have to pass on eventually, it's just a matter of making the best of the time we have to spend together. :)
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 08:05 AM
I lost Madita today. She was a 1 1/2 years old rat, a quite young age for a rat (usually they have another year...), but she became very ill and I asked the vet to put her down today.
She was a lovely rat, always there for me, always happy to play with me, always running to me when I came home and called for her.
The photo is one of the two very last pictures, she was allready very ill when I took it. It was propably the last time she ever ate something, only a bit later she didn´t wanted to eat anymore.
I´ll miss her a lot.

Kathy
By Designs_By_ElvenPremium member Comments: 1682, member since Thu Oct 07, 2004
On Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:36 AM
My heart goes out to all of you :-

We lost our beloved Jasper in June this year - He was a black labX & got to the ripe old age of 15 - he was diagnoised with liver cancer & given 5 weeks to live but he beat the odds & stayed with us for almost another year :D Unfortunately he became weaker & weaker & i could not let him go on in pain we took him to the vets knowing what the answer would be - we all stayed with him talking to him telling him how much we loved him stroking him untill he fell asleep - I miss him so much even tho we have 2 other dogs I still call him in from the garden or for a treat cos it seems as tho he is always there .

We love you 'old man'
mum
By lucky_dancer Comments: 8, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sun Nov 20, 2005 05:56 AM
I know how you feel trust me. I had 2 gerbils one was named Ollie and the other was April, one of them fell out of the cage(dont ask me how)and had to be put down the other one was eaten by my cat.My guinea pig named Tumbleweed, died because of the fumes of the woodchips(my mom bought the wrong kind)I didnt go and look at him when he was burried i was so sad.I had 2 birds Tukie and Snowball, one died in my hands because we think she was beaten up from Tukie, and Tukie was sold.And last but not least i had a kitten Tiger, he broke his leg and when it was healed he couldnt run fast he went outside and didnt come back.... so i can understand this stuff.I now have a 20 year old cat named Misty, and a 1 year old kitten named Smudge(Smudge is really small for a cat and he is bananers. he literally bounces off the walls lol)well sorry for the long post.
Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatchDraw