Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Soo....how's it going?
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 AM

Hey guys -

This board has been kind of dead. Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing and what they were working on.

Competition results?
Testing?
Skills?
Shows?

Discuss!

--------------------------

Me personally I think I've FINALLY got the loop jump. I've been able to do up to 5 loops in a row and I can do it from either baxk XO's or RFI3.

My flip has been sketchy - I took a hard fall on Thursday and ever since I've been a little hesitant. I had a good practice with it yesterday though except for a couple of cheated landings but it's better than it was. Lutz is only good when the flip is good, so I'm working on the two of those hand in hand.

I can taste the axel...my coach is going to give the go ahead soon, I can feel it.

My backspin is coming along too. Something clicked yesterday and now I'm actually able to spin for 4-5 revs instead of wobble around for 2 or 3. I can also check out of it now instead of falling back or up on my toe pick.

I've been working towards my Biellmann and yesterday I actually did one. It was slower than death but I impressed some kids at the rink and I also got into good position and spun around a couple of times.

Camel is still sucky but it's getting better. Hopefully something will click with that too. I thought that I had whatever it was that needed to click but I lost it.

I'm doing a holiday show at our rink in December that I'm pretty excited about. I'm not competing but I'm going to join USFSA and start testing Pre-pre in the new year after the holidays. I was going to test the adult track but I want the "real" experience. I'm pretty sure I can pass pre-pre moves without a problem but I tend to get nervous in front of people so hopefully this show experience will make it better.

That's pretty much it for me - I know there are things I'm missing but I just wanted to see what everyone else was up to now that competition season is starting.

17 Replies to Soo....how's it going?

re: Soo....how's it going?
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 04:00 PM
Well, at the test session at my club recently, I passed juvenile moves (first try!) and prelim FS (also first try!)

So now we're charging on through Intermediate!

In my lesson today, my coach and I spent the whole time working on double toe and double sal-
And I am thisclose!
The toe is closer than the sal- But I think I'll be loving them both very soon.

Camel spin's getting pretty close to par! My coach agreed to work on flying camel with me soon!
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:33 AM
Competition level: Senior Bronze
Testing Level: Jr.Silver
Skills: Competiting in sr.Bronze
Interpreative: Competiting in Bronze
( All these level's are Canadian so The names are different from the states i believe)
I get two new pieces of music this year.....:)
My first competition on the year in in novemeber because i'm not ready with my solo yet lol
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 08, 2005 07:16 AM
Hey! This a very nice thread to read. Everyone getting a move on their different elements and learning new stuff! Very inspiring.
Sunshine pointe - hope you get to the axel fast and get through it fast too. ;)
My gosh, I landed my axel! (unfortunately my coach wasn't there to see it.) But it's very inconsistent -so what else is new- and I have it on and off, between 1.5 rounds and 1.25. Frustrating, but alot better than nothing.
I've learnt my flying camel - which is ridiculous because I can't do a change foot camel.
Doing a competition soon (end november) but I'm not doing the axel.
Excited because I'm doing my first team event! Team compulsories which is not as great as synchro, but it should be fun.
I've been plagued with HUGE exams in school, so i've stopped skating for a couple of weeks. I'll finally be back in the rink on the 17th. Can't wait.
All the best to everyone!
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:10 AM
Edited by ballerina84 (97786) on 2005-10-08 11:12:02
All is going well for me here. I'm moving along nicely with pairs elements. Throw doubles are very consistant now, as are pair spins/combinations. My favorite is a what we're calling the fire hydrant spin, like this:

Image hotlink - 'http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/jnsk8er/firehydrantspin.jpg'
We go into that after the catch waist (head-to-toe) camel spin.

We're also doing overhead press and platter lifts on ice everyday, and working on variations to death spiral entries. Split twists are also coming along nicely. It's been really fun. We've put together a novice test program but I'm not sure when I'll be taking it. I'm concentrating more on practicing the individual elements for now.
On Fri Oct 28, 2005 04:28 PM
Oooh, ballerina, it looks nice!
I might be mistaken, but I think that spin is called a Natalia, after Natalia Mishkutenok and Artur Dmitriev! I searched all over online, but I couldn't find a proper picture except for this: www.usfsa.org . . .
And there's a description in one of Christine Brennan's books that sounds right.
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 28, 2005 04:48 PM
Yes it was first performed by Artur and Natalia when coached by Tamara Muskvina

It is done by many pairs couples now

Love Mama DD's xxx
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:45 AM
New update on how things are going for me...

I landed a double salchow today! I'm so excited, and I just had to share.
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 04:40 PM
Congrats! Is this your first double? I can't wait to start working on my axel and doubles :)
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 08:49 PM
Congratulations!
Double salchows are a nice feeling - hope you get them consistently then you can move on to double toes and loops! :)
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 09:47 PM
congrats i used to hate double sow but then i started working on it lots and now its one of my favourite jumps:)
By etoile_et_lune
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 03:25 AM
I'm kind of beginner again because I quit for a year, so I'm working on a sit spin, spiral and salchow :) I'm so hyped up! I lvoe skating! But I broke my finger and now I can't spread my fingers out to be expressive :'( I hope its better in like 2 weeks!!!
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 05:36 AM
Oh well, little_voice... It's not a terribly serious injury, and that's why we have two hands, right?!

I fell down the stairs yesterday, and now my back hurts >.< It'll definitely help me keep good posture though, as it's worse if I round my back.
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:48 PM
I passed Intermediate moves today!
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 07:42 PM
Yay congrats on the test! Intermediate moves was a tricky one for me for some reason. It feels so great passing tests, doesn't it?!
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:33 PM
Competition ended today! Whee. Was so nervous before it started, but now I'm missing it already. Got 2 golds and 2 silvers. Abit disappointed because I thought I could have made one more gold. Oh well. I've vowed to pass my next test by the end of the year (wish me luck).
On Sun Nov 27, 2005 06:55 AM
Oh yes, ballerina... Sooo satisfying! I'm still sort of sad though, because not enough people on my synchro team have the moves for us to compete at sectionals. Only a few junior teams are going to Mids, and Pacifics doesn't have enough, so we'd probably make it to Nationals...
By twinkletoes84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 02:31 PM
hey guys!
well im so excited cos ive temporarily been able to skate again over the christmas period at a temporary ice where i have a job as a skate marshall. its soooo exciting because i quit skating about 2 years ago after our rink shut ...... i was about 18, 19 then and getting very wary of the ice anyways... i mean i still loved skating but i'd lost sooo much confidence in even atempting doubles (which i used to just throw myself in the air and hope for the best) and doing my axel from backwards eeven though i could do it from standing or a small step.... however i've gone back now after nearly 2 years and i can still spin the same as i could... sit, camel, change foot, change foot sit etc..... i could still do alll my singles so i decided to try and axel from standing and landed it!!! after 2 years!! i was sooooo excited!! anyways thats my little story.... thanks for reading!!!

happy christmas!

ReplySendWatch