Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

All around the world...
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 06, 2005 04:50 PM
Edited by EireLibra (72136) on 2005-10-06 17:15:34

I don't usually frequent this board... I was introduced to capoeira through an advanced world dance class (we learned a bit of everything, including javanese fighting dance and Kung Fu) and I really stank at it (my quads weren't built for the low stance and all the lunges, etc)

But, anyways, I am just struck by how far-flung Capoeira has become! The Summer before this one, I was on tour with my Folk Dance ensemble, and we were running around Paris trying to catch all the sights. To my amazement, coming out of a metro station, there were capoeiristas on a street corner, berimbau and all! That was cool... in France!

Then, just about 5 min ago, I was walking home, when I heard capoeira music, especially the berimbau, coming from a few blocks over. Of course, I made a detour right away, to see a Capoeira group just outside my University's museum of Peoples and Cultures, going at it. It was incredible. (and that's in Utah, by the way)

So I just jumped on to say how great it is that all of you do that incredible art form. I hope I see you in some part of the world someday!

ReplySendWatch