Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Debating guidelines (karma: 4)
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Fri Nov 08, 2002 04:00 AM

Remember the cardinal rule here, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS while debating. This means no calling other people derogatory names, claiming they don't know how to debate, etc. Debate the issues, not the person. For example, if someone doesn't know how to debate, you should be able to pick apart his/her arguments rather than stating the obvious. A debate that degenerates into name calling is not constructive or fun. Not abiding by this simple rule will lead to losing access to the debate forum or even banning.

Also try to consider that you will probably not be able convince the other "side" that you're right. There is no winning or losing here. At best, being able to see all sides of a given debate topic will lead to better understanding. Of course, those armed with better facts and logic will typically rule the day.

Note that it's very poor form to give karma (rate something positive) just because someone agrees with your position. Like everything else, the comment should be very well-written, informative and/or humorous before you should consider rating it up.

Linh

12 Replies to Debating guidelines

re: Debating guidelines
By Meeri15 Comments: 98, member since Sun Dec 01, 2002
On Mon Dec 30, 2002 04:12 AM
I agree with Specter. It really bugs me also that everyone adds that in the end of their posts. By saying "this is only my opinion and you don't have to agree" you make people think that you don't even believe in your opinion yourself. Why would others believe it then?
re: Debating guidelines
By Spectermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2333, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:44 PM
Exactly. I mean, if it weren't your opinion why would u even be saying it. Stick to your guns people!

ReplySendWatch