Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Sharpness.
By KicksElitePoms
On Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:21 AM

I have strong arms, but I'm wondering what else I can do to help improve the sharpness of arm movements in my routines? Thanks!

-Hillary-

3 Replies to Sharpness.

re: Sharpness.
By darn_meg
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 06:01 AM
I have worked so long with the younger girls on my dance team with this kind of thing and they still dont get it! Pretend like your a brick wall, if I try to move your arm it should stay still. When your trying to get sharp arms make it feel like your punching somebody as hard as you can. For both of these techniques youll wanna compress your muscles as tightly as possible, it should hurt after a while.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:32 AM
In order to end a move sharply, you have to contract all the muscles in your arm. Try it with a roll of pennies in your hand, and squeeze the pennies really hard when you want to end a movement sharply. It's a good exercise, but I'm not really explaining it all that well. Just make sure you're tightening all your arm muscles whenever you want to stop your arm sharply. It works. :)
By NellRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 09:17 AM
You need to build up the muscles in your arms (so things like lifting light weight and push-up,etc...but remember your going for muscular endurance instead of bulk...) and practice! My team always does "arm drills". I don't know if you guys use different terms, but bascially all you do is a series of arm movements in one 8-count and just repeat til you can't go anymore! (my teams does High-V, Low-V, T, Touchdown, R Diagonal, L Diagonal, Punch, and then return to a clasp or something else)

Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch