Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

What do you think?
By lilcrabz08
On Tue Oct 25, 2005 05:12 PM

Well you see i have heard of this type of martial arts/dance before and i am more of a hip hop girl, however i take tae kwon do, do you think that my mix of hip hop and tae kwon do would be really good if i wanna start learning Capoeira?

Danielle

5 Replies to What do you think?

re: What do you think?
By mantismag
On Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:34 PM
probably. the capoeira aesthetic is somewhat similar to hiphop. the tae kwon do may help or hinder you in basic kicking. there are differences in body mechanics that you have to pick up. how long have you been in tae kwon do? what's your dance background?
By lilcrabz08
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 07:07 AM
Well I have been in tae kwon do for 9 years. And I dont really have a dance background because i live in the middle of nowhere Indiana. But i dance for fun with friends.
By SpellieDev
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 07:36 AM
danielle, when you start taking capoeira classes you'll notice that it has absolutely nothing to do with hip hop. that, and it's a lot slower style than tae kwon do. A LOT slower.

your TKD background would help alot in the <i>regional</i> style of capoeira. that's the more contemporary style where you see the high-flying kicks and stuff. but your overall flexibility and leg strength should help with all aspects of it.
By BboyScorpio
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 01:45 PM
You would also be able to beat people up alot fancier than you would before.
By mantismag
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 08:30 PM
well given your background having the tkd training will probably hurt more than help. because you've been at it so long you may have trouble making the small changes to your kicks to turn them from tae kwon do kicks to capoeira kicks. the idea of the kicks is the same but the way they go about it is very different. you may also have trouble in that you'll take a fighting stance instead of moving around the way you should. it's hard to forget all those skills that you've worked so hard to learn in the first place.

don't let this deter you however. capoeira is a lot of fun and it's always good to expand your horizons.

ReplySendWatch