Forum: General / Homework Help

Homework Help
Tips for getting the best possible advice on your homework (karma: 10)
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1920, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 03:18 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-10-27 22:17:08

I've recently noticed a lot of posts asking for help on various subjects that have been a little hard to figure out. If you're going to ask for help, here are some things you can do to make it easier for us to help you. Most people would love to help out, we just need some information in order to provide the best possible advice.

1) State when the assignment is due. We don't want to spend hours critiqueing an assignment that you've already turned in. Also, the type of advice you'll get on an essay will differ depending on whether it's due in an hour or a week.

2) State your grade. The quality of work expected of a 6th grader is very different from that expected of a 12th grader.

3) If you're writing an essay, and English is not your first language (eg you're not living in the US/ England/ Australia etc.), please let us know. You might not be expected to have the same level of sophistication in your essays that a native English speaker would have.

4) Do as much of your own research as possible. There are great resoursces on-line and in libraries. If you can type your question into the DDN forum, you can type it into Google. See what you get from Google or other resources before posting here.

5) Tell us what class your assignment is for (English, history, math, physics....), and if possible, what level the class is (eg Algebra II, trigonometry, US history).

6) Tell us EXACTLY what your instructions were. If you can post the directions given by the teacher word for word, do it. If it's a written assignment, tell us how long it's supposed to be. Were you supposed to conduct independent research? If it's oral, tell us the time limit. Give as many details as possible.

That's all I can think of for now. If you provide all of this information, I'm sure you'll get wonderful advice from all the smart people here at DDN.

4 Replies to Tips for getting the best possible advice on your homework

re: Tips for getting the best possible advice on your homework
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 06:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this.It has some really great tips.Karma!
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 09:57 AM
I've noticed a number of posts that seem to be "please do my homework for me" instead of "please help me with my homework."

Also #4 in Mendel's post above is important. Sometimes an assignment is more about how you gather and interpret information, which is a skill you'll need throughout your life, than about the end product of an essay. You are learning how to learn.

The other things I've noticed is sometimes people reply with an answer that they themselves are not sure about. If you're not sure, but need to reply to a message, at least state that you're not sure. Mis-information is not helpful.
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1920, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:13 AM
rallyhopback is absolutely correct; thanks for contributing.

It would be nice if people trying to help would indicate that they're not sure about something if that's the case. But remember that, if you post a question, it's YOUR responsibility to double-check all the answers you receive. Don't blindly copy any answer you get here; people trying to help might make honest mistakes.
By dancelvr1127member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 186, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Mon Nov 21, 2005 07:51 AM
oh nice post!
another one is have people name them like so

Class-type of assignment-due date

so that way if people have something due sooner they can get to that before the day and also people don't have to click in all the things that say "homework help!"
For example,
when i look at something that says "homework help!" then asks about calculus help...i have no clue what calculus is so it was kind of ..well do you see what i mean?!?! haha
never mind
gread post!

ReplySendWatch