News: Advice / Support

Page:
Page 1 of 261 2 3 4 5 6 22 23 24 25 26

Support
You Are A Dancer! (karma: 544)
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 01:59 PM
Moved to Support by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-03-16 12:11:13 member request...I'm intrigued to see what it will do over here...
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-03-02 20:30:54
All right, it's exercise time here at Dance.net. After you read this, you're going to have to get out of your chair and go find a mirror. We dancers spend far too much time thinking about how much we hate our bodies for what we think are "faults", and for what we think they "can't" do.

You are a Dancer!

All right, it's exercise time here at Dance.net. After you read this, you're going to have to get out of your chair and go find a mirror. We dancers spend far too much time thinking about how much we hate our bodies for what we think are "faults", and for what we think they "can't" do. This is totally erroneous thinking! After all we've worked for, all the classes, the rehearsals, the performances, the corrections, the slips, the falls, the triumphs, the sprains, the successes... haven't we achieved much more than the average person?

Tell me, if you buy a lottery ticket when the big prize is one million- but you miss by one number and get $10,000 instead, have you LOST? NO! You'd be out of your mind to say so. But that's exactly what we ARE saying when we are dissatisfied with our looks or performance.

Think about your legs for a moment. Think about how much stronger they are than pretty much everyone else in your class, guys included. Now stand up, bend over and touch your toes, or the floor... palms on the floor for some of you. Now hear this: the average person with no dance training can't reach too much past his or her knees without seriously feeling it. Think about how much longer and leaner the muscles in your legs are because you can do this. Amazing when you think about it!

Next, extend your favorite leg in tendu derrière. Lift it about 3 inches off the floor. Someone with no dance? That's as far as they can comfortably go. Now lift to your own arabesque. Again, you surpass the median curve by leaps and bounds.

Your extension to the front proves two different things: one, you once again possess far more flexibility than the average human even dreams of, and that you also possess a uniquely strong and trained set of stomach muscles.

I won't dwell too much on your arms- I covered a lot of that in REACH. Suffice to say that your arms are more expressive and graceful than you realize. Dance teaches you to tell a story with a single fingertip. They may not tell you (maybe jealousy!), but people you interact with know that you move like a dancer. They don't even really know what that is, but they know that you move in ways they cannot.

Now, the most important part: your MIND. Starting with the easy thing- your teacher can give you an entire barre exercise, and you go, "OK", and just do it. Most people have trouble remembering a phone number, let alone a 2 minute piece of choreography! What marvellous training your mind has gone through to be able to recreate complicated steps in the correct sequence! What's more, not only does your mind remember the steps, it also recalls how to do them, and little tiny details about them, but it also recalls the last correction your teacher gave you about engaging your abs as you perform the movements.

I linger on the mind for one important reason. Your mind is what also tries to tell you that you're no good, you did that step wrong, your arms are too flabby, etc., etc. Although the mind is a magnificent tool for you as a dancer, if you listen too much to that negative side you will undo much of the good you've worked so hard for. There's good dissatisfaction with yourself (That's the kind that makes you work harder to fulfill your dream), and there's bad dissatisfaction- the kind that cuts you down and ridicules all the good things you are trying to do with yourself.

So as you train your amazing, flexible, attentive body, I ask you to train one more thing. Train your mind to HELP you, not hinder you, as you strive to be a better dancer. Teach it that you're already an amazing anomoly- most people cannot even come close to the things you do. Teach it that you are not too fat, too tall, too slow, too anything; you're already a loooooong way down the road!

Now get up, go to the mirror, and appreciate the incredible dancer that you are- and the incredible dancer you are becoming, every day!

-BalletGurl

628 Replies to You Are A Dancer!

re: You Are A Dancer!
By balleterina Comments: 323, member since Sat Sep 14, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 02:07 PM
hey that ws great! i rated you up!
By BalletBlondie24 Comments: 119, member since Wed Oct 09, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 02:09 PM
Great Post! Totally inspirational!!
~!~Stephanie~!~
By dancer_charlie Comments: 286, member since Sat Jul 13, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 02:25 PM
Thanx balletgirl you are always such a help to everybody. You are an inspration you can always seem to pick us up when we are down with a post like this!
Thanx
By pasdebourremember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1004, member since Fri Jul 12, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 02:29 PM
Your post made my day! I was totally down until I read it! Thanks so much! :)
**ASHLEE**
By DANCEPAC Comments: 1317, member since Sat Jan 12, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 02:38 PM
Great perspective, I don't think we ever look at ourselves that way. I'm certainly looking at my cup half full today, thanks BalletGurl! I'm printing this one out and sending to a couple friends.

Cheers!
Joey
0_o
By Ballet_Dancer77member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1226, member since Mon Dec 31, 2001
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 03:05 PM
That post was amazingly uplifting and it made my day! :) I love reading posts like this!! Thank-you!

~*Kaela**~
By lelprncess Comments: 968, member since Mon Mar 11, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 03:52 PM
oh my god, i loved your article. great one!! it really made my day and realize that i should appreciate what i can do instead of complaining what i cant do!! thanks!!! it made my day!!

take care!!
By hyperjazzer Comments: 926, member since Tue Jul 09, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 03:58 PM
wow, awesome article! it was so inspiring! bravo for a job well done!
By Leeleedance4ever Comments: 121, member since Wed Aug 28, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 04:27 PM
THANK YOU!!!You are always such an inspiration.

~dance for ever~
Lee
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 04:52 PM
The best part is when you do a split and everyone around goes "OW!!".
Excellent post, as always. :)
~Emily
By hiphoplover Comments: 462, member since Tue Aug 13, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 06:11 PM
that was great, really appreciated it
By irishdancinbetsy Comments: 1386, member since Mon Jan 21, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 06:16 PM
Thank You Thank You Thank YOU!!

I just found out i'm off my feet from dance or 6 weeks as ligaments heal, so i'm not feeling too thrilled with my body, but now i'm not scared anymore!!! that article really encouraged me :)
betsy
By everdancingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4095, member since Fri Feb 01, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 06:34 PM
Thankyou soooo much! I loved that article!

*Heather*
By RainyDayKid Comments: 1207, member since Sun Mar 03, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 06:39 PM
Balletgurl, I absolutely LOVE your posts. I rated you UP. Your posts make me feel so much better about myself and increases my faith for this wonder art we know as DANCE. Would it be too much for an "inspirational" board of somesort? I'm sure it would make everyone's day to read posts much like this whenever they're in doubt of their bodies, their thoughts, or their ability to dance.
By abs678 Comments: 640, member since Thu Jul 25, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 07:15 PM
You made me realize how unique we dancers are from the rest of the world. I appreciate myself a little more now thanx a bunch!
By Betty_Boop Comments: 368, member since Sun Dec 16, 2001
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 07:35 PM
That was an absolutely wonderful article. There is nothing you need more when you dont feel the greatest, than something like that, which makes you appreciate what you can do, rather than focusing on what you cant.

Thank you!
You Are A Dancer!
By lovelydancer Comments: 1908, member since Fri Jul 20, 2001
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:22 PM
Once again Balletgurl hits the nail right on the head!! You rock girl! :) And its so true what you said!
Lovelydancer
By arabesque42 Comments: 115, member since Sun Sep 08, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:55 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. (I rated you positive because it was so helpful.) So many times I think about all of the negatives. I know a lot of it is about catching up on some of the technique that I didn't get when I was younger, but I am so hard on myself a lot of the time. Even though I have greatly improved over the last two years, I still think about how many things I haven't improved on. This helped me change my thinking because I don't compare myself to the average person. I will print this out so when I get discouraged I can read it and feel better. Thank you.
:) Heather
By AdiN Comments: 870, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:59 PM
Wow, that totally got my self esteem a little higher..

Thanks so much Balletgurl. oh, and by the way, I rated you up. :)

Adi
By ShinHao Comments: 429, member since Thu Mar 21, 2002
On Mon Nov 18, 2002 08:18 AM
Thank you.
By cosmicdancer Comments: 204, member since Mon Oct 14, 2002
On Mon Nov 18, 2002 08:59 AM
Thank you, you opened my eyes to the body I myself have trained ~ the body I should be, and now am, proud of.

Lots of love and thanks again xxxx
By punkrockgirl Comments: 107, member since Wed May 15, 2002
On Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:00 AM
wow, balletgurl that was amazing. I feel so good about myself right now... I have some image problems, but I realized how much stronger I am than other peple I know, how much more flexible and graceful, how much dancing has done for me. That was so inspirational. thank you, thank you, thank you
By Foofinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8947, member since Sat Mar 09, 2002
On Mon Nov 18, 2002 01:28 PM
You ARE amazing...is it some kind of GIFT that you can make a person feel that good with a short passage?? You're so amazing and your stories are inspiring. NEVER LEAVE DANCE.NET BalletGurl! I love your articles!!!
By Balletbaby2 Comments: 1471, member since Fri May 31, 2002
On Mon Nov 18, 2002 01:33 PM
Balletgirl that was totally insporational! You have a very unique way of looking at things, and I think that if I were around you all day, I would feel much better about myself. you rock! Post more, post more!! *LOL*
Balletbaby2!
Page:
Page 1 of 261 2 3 4 5 6 22 23 24 25 26

ReplySendWatch