News: Advice / Support

Page:
Page 3 of 261 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 22 23 24 25 26
re:
By showgirl_alana Comments: 352, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Sun Dec 01, 2002 01:35 AM
WOW...what can I say, you have made some people really, really think hard!

That Letter really hit home girlfriend! Thankyou!

Luv Alana -XoX-
You are a Dancer!
By artmusicdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1355, member since Thu Mar 14, 2002
On Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:31 AM
That is so BEAUTIFUL!!! THANK YOU Balletgurl for those wonderful kind and true words. I needed to hear that! I rated you possitive +! Thanks :D
re: You Are A Dancer!
By Meeri15 Comments: 98, member since Sun Dec 01, 2002
On Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:43 PM
Thanks so much for an amazing post. It was great reading it and after I went to take a look at myself in the mirroir and I looked good! I wasn't at all bothered by anything. So, thanks!
By HotDancer87 Comments: 1989, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Mon Dec 02, 2002 06:05 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I needed that encouragement! today has been a rough day and i was thinkin... man, i can't do anything right tonight in ballet! but thanks again for your encouragement!!!
By cosmicdancer Comments: 204, member since Mon Oct 14, 2002
On Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:01 AM
I just had to rate you up! I read this article and feel inspired, already I've read it three times, if I ever feel self conscious about wearing a skirt, I think about your words...Thanks...

*cosmicdancer*
YOU ARE A DANCER
By dancindiva4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1609, member since Wed Nov 07, 2001
On Thu Dec 05, 2002 07:18 PM
Thankyou so much for what you have written to us. It makes me feel a whole lot better about myself. I just think in my head "All Muscle" :)
By lolabunny Comments: 86, member since Mon Jul 29, 2002
On Thu Dec 05, 2002 07:46 PM
that was a great post; it is something you don't think about everyday.
Thanks!
By em53member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 41, member since Fri May 24, 2002
On Sat Dec 07, 2002 06:11 PM
That was great!
I suppose there's another side of dancing, not just how we perform and physically dance, but our mind dances too. When I dance it's the best feeling, I don't have to worry abotu anything, and I feel good about myself. I used to think about not being the best, most flexable or most graceful in the class, but I've been practising some moves I wish I could do, and at home there's no one to compare yourself to.. I reccomend that you take some time every day or so, or every week if you're busy, to not practise work from your class, but make up your own dance about what you're feeling, and practise the things you do best then try the things you arn't so good at, work on it and you will feel better and dance better.
By DanceManiac2 Comments: 7, member since Sat Dec 07, 2002
On Sat Dec 07, 2002 09:21 PM
awesome post!!!!
By Ballets_Star Comments: 40, member since Tue Dec 10, 2002
On Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:40 PM
Fab post! Yet again, I feel dumb to ever have felt had to much pitty for myself about my body. I mean your right, dancers have amazing bodies... and no matter what, deep down everyone knows it is.
~*Ballets_Star*~
By DancinDiva05 Comments: 29, member since Mon Nov 18, 2002
On Thu Dec 12, 2002 05:44 PM
OMG! that is such an awesome article...i always am complaing about my body but now that i read that i dont' think i will be anymore!

From attitude...to artestry...DANCE WORKS!!!:-d
By born_2_shimmy Comments: 188, member since Wed Nov 06, 2002
On Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:41 PM
i think that dancer that r unsatisfyed with their bodyz r crazey!!!! im not a dancer and id give anything to b able to do sum of the stuf u guyz do. i can hardly reach my KNEEZ let alone the floor!! and u dancers r soooo muscley and gracey full a cupla my m8z r dancerz and i feel so clumbsey and awkward nxt to them.
so u guyz that say u h8 ur bodyz please jus think of the ppl that wood give ANYTHING to b lyk u!!!!
lol
hugz'n'kissez
*~~Holly~~*
By tapgirl15 Comments: 192, member since Fri Nov 08, 2002
On Sat Dec 14, 2002 03:56 PM
Wonderful!
Dancers are all beautiful :)
By arch4567 Comments: 1, member since Sun Dec 15, 2002
On Sun Dec 15, 2002 04:29 PM
I just want to thank you for writing this. I was amazing. I never thought about anything like that. I put a lot of thought into my body every time I look into the mirror, and I shouldnt do that. I have been dancing for 10 years, my body cant look that bad, can it?? :)
You are a D A N C E R
By ProLatinDancer Comments: 90, member since Sun Dec 15, 2002
On Mon Dec 16, 2002 05:42 AM
Removed by balletgurl (11968) on 2002-12-16 21:58:06 removed at poster's request
Your third finger is hyper-extended.
Your FIFTH is more like 2½ !
Should that arm be lifted FROM the shoulder ?
(Or is that your hunchback drama impression L)
Timing ! Foot speed, come on !
Your turn out would be where, right now?
Rhythm and interpretation?
Could you try landing that spin FACING FRONT ?

It’s hard – REALLY GENUINELY HARD, and I’m not talking about the learning dance bit.

Each of the comments above could be heard in one of a million teaching venues, from The National Ballet, to a private lesson for a “Beginner” ballroom dancer, from junior to senior, to masters, but they all have one think in common – guessed it ?

They’re all niggly little things.
They don’t seem it at the time.
Every one of them is based on the knowledge that there are a stack of good elements which accompanied the one that could do with a little improvement.

You may hate us, envy us, love us, want to be like us, or think we play favourites. Fact of the matter is most of us are just good honest people who do what we do for the sheer love of it. We are your teachers, coaches and drill instructors. Sometimes we’re your friend, and sometimes the enemy beneath.

So why the comments ? It’s simple really – TIME and PRIORITY.

Time is precious. Class or private lessons start NOW and FINISH THEN. We don’t have time to look at you do what you do well fifteen times. We saw it, we liked it (and though sometimes we don’t say it WE’RE DAMNED PROUD that you’ve learnt it – Honest to God PROUD.)

So we need to use the time to Fix things. That finger, turn, arm line, extension, timing, jump, spin, landing, rhythm, foot position, transition. It goes on and on – and …

But you need to remember:
- We didn’t need to comment on your pirouette, or three step turn, or sailor step or whatever.
You did that on auto-pilot without really thinking about it because you’ve learned it so well.

- We didn’t need to remind you that this piece is a Waltz, or a march, or whatever – you’ve already learned. It’s second nature.

- We didn’t need to ask you to push those muscles harder – to get that heel further off the floor, or to be able to arch further. You’ve learnt that too.

- We didn’t need to correct your spotting
(although we did last week)
You’ve worked on it – and so this week we don’t notice it
standing out as wrong or ungainly.

- We didn’t need to remind you of your presentation. You’ve
turned up neat, on time, and warmed up for lesson.

You see, you didn’t always know these things. Sure you take them for granted. Most of my students forget that I ever hammered them on basics. Balance, Poise, position. And then we generally don’t have to re-visit those things.

Do you consciously need to think what 1st foot position in ballet is ? Or what a latin stance is for comp latin vs modern ballroom. Or what a sailor step is in Jazz? You do them in your sleep.

We think of them as tools.

The things you will use to get better and better and better.

To grow, to become a being capable of taking any given piece of space, some thought, feeling, and maybe some music (although not always necessary) and transforming that into a place of performance. To express thoughts, ideas, stories and concepts in a way no-one else can.

To be a DANCER.

I’ve read BALLETGURL’s “You are a Dancer” - and I loved it.
Gave it to some students to read, - but I needed to add this to fill in the other side a bit.

So please, accept that we are demanding.
Deep down you want us to be

And YES, we DO “pick on EVERY LITTLE THING”.
We wouldn’t be any good otherwise.

We’re never happy.
Well there, you’re wrong. You walk out onto the dance floor, warmed up and stretched, ready to DANCE. Ready to try. Thinking that you’re ho-hum as dancers go. Or maybe just “OK”. But you can feel the music, and you WANT to do something with it - Express it, be it, let it run through you.

Two lots of people are definitely watching.

Those beginners, or grade twos, or threes, or D graders. It doesn’t matter the style, or the venue. They just can’t believe you can dance like that, be that good, look so great at what you do.

And us.

We know – oh yes, we know. You look good, and we’re so damned proud that our hearts could burst. You’re growing every day, and maybe one day you’ll be better than us ? Who knows ? But yes we love sharing your learning and watching you grow. And what do we say ?

HEAD UP CHRISTINA !

Good luck and good fortune
re: u r a dancer
By darcy_dancestar Comments: 3, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Mon Dec 16, 2002 03:44 PM
hi! im new to the site and after registering ur article was the first thing i read!and i must say it is fantastic inspiration to all dancers who are feeling low bcoz they think they're the wrong shape or size!i havnt been able to go to dancin lessons for a while and ive been missin out on loads of training!so im feelin a bit.... not like a dancer!ive gained weight and my muscles arent wat they used to be!ur article has given me the encouragement to get bcak to it and start making a dancer of myself again!thanx ur wonderful attitude to life as a dancer!ur great!
love and cuddles
darcy_dancestar!!!!
You are a Dancer
By ProLatinDancer Comments: 90, member since Sun Dec 15, 2002
On Mon Dec 16, 2002 06:18 PM
BalletGurl

I'm new here (so much so that I haven't got enough credit to rate you up yet! :) - but a well written article, and very pertinent to so many. I've written a response, but wanted to add my comments.

Regards :)

Looking forward to more
you are a dancer
By indy8jump Comments: 9, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Mon Dec 16, 2002 07:54 PM
that message is very inspirational...so many times i hear around the studio ...ahhh look at my ____ (fill in with some part of the body) i look so ugly.... i makes me sad to hear people talk that way when they can do so much.
By SnowWhitemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7666, member since Sun Oct 27, 2002
On Tue Dec 17, 2002 05:24 AM
What an amazing post!! Well done! :)
By SolPrincess Comments: 317, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Tue Dec 17, 2002 05:42 PM
:)
By Lizzie3 Comments: 1571, member since Wed Apr 03, 2002
On Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:40 AM
oh i love you honey!
By AdriFreak Comments: 64, member since Mon Jun 24, 2002
On Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:38 PM
That was AWESOME! I feel a whole lot better now.
By dancinbabe18 Comments: 83, member since Wed Jul 24, 2002
On Mon Dec 23, 2002 01:15 PM
Thanks!! lol that was so good and it made me feel so much better bout myself! Great post! xxx
By fdlgirl_002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 485, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Mon Dec 23, 2002 09:48 PM
omg that is soo true
thanx
Thanks f
By Capuccinogrl1414member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 989, member since Thu Dec 19, 2002
On Tue Dec 24, 2002 02:21 PM
Thanks so much for posting that up. It is sooo true, and gave me some inspiration.
Page:
Page 3 of 261 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 22 23 24 25 26

ReplySendWatch