Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Took My First Tahitian Class!!!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 05, 2005 09:58 PM

I just took my first class today, here in Hawaii. All I can say is 'Ouch!', my aching feet...and thighs...and well everything! It was challenging, rewarding and i was dripping sweat from every oriface afterward.

7 Replies to Took My First Tahitian Class!!!

re: Took My First Tahitian Class!!!
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 09:17 PM
Yes! I sweat like nobody's business at class.

So...was it fun? :D I'm so glad you're into Tahitian!
Where are you taking class?
On Tue Nov 08, 2005 02:08 AM
Oahu. My friend does classes in a school gym (she made a deal or something for the space), and that's where I take it. I LOVED IT!
Second Class
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 08:50 PM
I followed along a lot better today. I don't know if it was my imagination or not, but I seemed to sweat worse this time around. I don't know if it's because my farapu was faster or what, but can you say 'bucket o' sweat' by the end of class?
On Sun Nov 13, 2005 01:22 PM
Dontcha worry -- I've never had a Tahitian class where I didn't sweat.

And, as a tip (it won't seem to make sense, probably), the more you relax, the easier your ueue will be. I would sometimes try to push it to make my hips circle bigger, and I'd just get tired out. There's a certain zone that you can relax into and it feels much better and looks good.
On Sun Nov 13, 2005 04:41 PM
My teacher pushes a little hard to make you do the full range. If your hips aren't going all the way around, she's on you about it. I'm beginning to think I don't have the body type for Tahitian (too much junk in my trunk, and my torso is sort of short). Either that, or she's not the teacher for me. She's my friend and all, but she's a little pushy.

How long was it, Fairy, before your farapu looked 'normal'? How long did it take you to do it fast? I just want to know because I enjoy the excersize and I'm very satisfied with my rate of sweat drippage at the end of class (I'm trying to lose weight), but I don't want to perform and I think she requires the class members to perform once or twice a year or something. Hula is one thing, I'm very familiar with it and wouldn't mind performing here in Hawaii given the appropriate practice time. But Tahitian? No way! The thoughts scares me to death! (Maybe I'll just get over it :D ).
On Sun Nov 13, 2005 05:04 PM
Like anything, it gets easier with practice!

Not to be nitpicky, but I think you are concerned about your ueue, not your fa'arapu. Fa'arapu is generally slower, but in a really big circle. Ueue is the really fast circles associated with Tahitian. :)

But anyway. DO NOT say you have the wrong body type! ANY BODY TYPE CAN DANCE TAHITIAN! We have every body type in the spectrum in my tahitian class. Small butts, big boobs; big butts, small boobs; small everything; big everything; long skinny waists; short curvy waists; wide hips sideward; wide hips backward; short girls, tall girls, everything in between. My teacher is short and not a skinny woman. Body type really makes no difference. Whew! Don't be discouraged by your own body! In fact, sometimes I wish I had a little more junk. It would make my ueue look a little bigger!

I don't know that my ueue IS normal. What is normal? Everyone's varies a little, since nobody has the same range of motion. I guess you'll know yours is "functional" when you can move around and maintain the motion. I'm still working on that, actually.

I think you'll be okay performing. It's good for experience. Any opportunity to perform, whatever type of dance it is, will improve your performance skills. :)

Since your teacher's your friend, maybe you can explain to her what your stance is on Tahitian (fun exercise, but she's making you a little tense in class?). Seems like she would understand. :) If she's just sucking the fun out of it, though, maybe you can shop around for a new instructor. :)
By mwdancemom
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:08 PM
Congrats CG on your first class in Oahu! How was the move? How's life in paradise? Oohhh, so jealous right now. It's about 20 degrees (with windchill actually feels like 8 degrees) right now. As I stepped out of hula tonight with my bare feet in my shoes and into a little pile of snow I really began to consider WHY it is that I continue to live in the Midwest.

I'm glad you enjoyed your first two classes. I can feel your pain right now. LITERALLY. I took my first real hula class this evening. Previously, I just joined in on poi ball instruction and performed in the Maori portion of shows. Well, now I've decided to really learn so I took the Keiki class tonight and then stayed for the adult class. Yep. I was in the keiki 4-9 year old class with my 7 year old. Pretty funny! Then the adults came in and I stayed for that one as well while my daughter watched. I have to say: as sore as I am right now, I had more fun in two hours than I have had in 2 weeks. I loved it!

Please remind me of how much fun I had tonight when I jump online tomorrow complaining because I couldn't lift my sorry tush out of bed in the morning. hee hee.... all worth it!!!!

I'm happy for you CG!

Great advice doomedfairy. I will think about your advice as far as ueue is concerned. I can see what you mean about finding a certain zone that you can relax into. I think that's what I need to set as my goal while I'm practicing this week.

Take care ladies-

By the way, sorry for the absence. My daughter is getting ready to go to a huge Irish Dance competition over Thanksgiving, so our time has been spent running to and from dance practices, doing homework on the run, and watching her practice (she hates to practice by herself).

I hope all is well with both of you CG and doomed_fairy. Take care and enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday!

ReplySendWatch