Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Tryouts in March help me!( esp. with choreogrsphy)
By darn_meg
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 06:14 AM

I'm having dance team tryouts this March and I'm really nervous. I'll be an incoming freshman so I can only tryout for the junior varsity team which is fine by me because varsity is way too complicated. Not a lot of new freshmen make the team and no body from my middle school has ever made thehe team as a freshmen. I know exactly what the coach want at the tryouts
1. splits
2. single pirouette
3. double pirouette
4. leap
5. side leap
6. switch leap
7.learn a dance
8. make up yor own dance
from that list I can do splits, a leap, a single pirouette, and I can learn pretty fast (we only have 45 minutes to learn the whole dance, it's to see how well we can work under pressure) I can alos do a Cjump which is like extra credit. Will som body help me with the rest of my tryout list?

10 Replies to Tryouts in March help me!( esp. with choreogrsphy)

re: Tryouts in March help me!( esp. with choreogrsphy)
By darn_meg
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 06:41 AM
All right If it'll help you guys help me I just wanna know If there are any sites that have good and inspiring coreography that I am actually able to watch with out downloading anything and getting a virus on my computer. I appreciate any responses
By NellRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 09:41 AM
Ok so I wrote this nice and long response but then I lost my internet connection when I hit post so its gone! But here's a nice summary of what I wanted to say...

Rent dance movies (doesn't matter what kind of dance...ballet, hip-hop, or something like "footloose") and then steal the moves but turn them into dance-team moves with the typical pom arm movements and everything...

And since your try-outs arn't for a couple months, see if there are any dance competitions in your area or go to a basketball game if your dance team performs there. Both would be a really good source of choreography tips

So good luck!
By KicksElitePoms
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 04:45 PM
I really reccomend you taking a private lesson. At most studios it's not very espensive. Focus on the double pirrouette and have them run through a side leap with you a few times (it's easy to pick up and I'm sure you'll do fine with it). As for the switch, it took me awhile to get them, so have the instructor go over that with you slowly. After that, it's just practice practice practice- in the grocery store aisles when no one's around or down the hallway in your house works awesomely.

I get really freaked out when I have to learn a timed routine. My biggest suggestion is to stay calm. While you're learning, try not to watch the teacher after you've done an eight count two or three times, or else when you're alone you'll have no idea what you're doing. While she's teaching, also try and get your brain to focus on how each count/move flows together. Any time you get a break, practice and make sure you can do it without watching anyone. It also helps to close your eyes, get away from everyone, and do it in your head. Hope I helped :).
By DanceDynamicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:39 AM
Edited by DanceDynamic (54838) on 2005-12-20 00:41:44 added thought
Seriously, like above, take a private lesson. I'll bet you'll learn switches, side leaps, and doubles in no time, they are not hard at all, exspecially if you pick up quickly. I honestly think that would be best, and lots of fun! :) You can also take Tech classes somewhere :) Another thought, these requirments are super easy compared to alot of teams, for example fouttetes, windows, a la seconds, axels etc, so you should be good to go.

love,
DanceDynamic
By darn_meg
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 06:50 AM
Umm, DanceDynamic I need to learn how to do axels too. And a chaine, toe-touch,and a tourjette and I really dont have enough money to gret private help or go to a studio, so are there any ways that I can learn all of this stuff at home.(I found out all of these things that I had to do for tryouts after I posted this board)I only have 3 months to learn this all by myself. I almost have my double down and of curse I have my single my splits,toe-touch,and chaine, right leap, side leap and I almost have my left leap. I just cant get my axel, switch leap or a tourjette. and do you guys know any donce vidoes that I can actually watch w/out getting a virus on my computer.
By butters
On Fri Dec 23, 2005 01:46 PM
As for choreography, I always just fill my counts with various tricks, leg extensions, calypsoes(sp?), toe touches, c- jumps, etc. That way i don't have to worry about random arm movements and such. Plus judges or coaches (who ever pics the team) wants to see what you can do above the expected, you want to impress. So, really you don't need videos and stuff to get ideas, just put on the song (or any song) that you'll be dancing to and simply visualize, doing what ever pops into your mind. Or, ask a friend to help.
As for technique, ask a friend, or someone on the team to help you with the things you cannot get. You'll most likely find that someone will be more than willing to help you out. and Just check other forums for info about technique, i know there's like a million and one about toe touches, and i have contributed to like all of them-lol. Try varsity.com as well. Good Luck
re: Tryouts in March help me!( esp. with choreogrsphy) (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 27, 2005 09:34 AM
Let me tell you, I've judged about a billion dance team auditions, and the choreography doesn't really count. Focus on technique, performance, and a good rehearsal attitude instead. They aren't hiring you as a choreographer, so having you choreograph a short routine is just to make sure you really want to be there. You'll have a better shot if you are very very enthusiastic about auditioning (fight for a spot in the front), you smile and perform like a pro even when you screw up, and you always work your butt off without getting distracted (don't talk or laugh during rehearsal). So my suggestion is to focus on getting some of those basics under your belt, and don't waste too much time on your choreography.

As for dance videos, go to your public library and check them out for free. If they don't have what you want, they will order it for you. Actually, you can probably order it on your library's web site, although most library webs are kind of confusing. Anyway, a full-length, full-screen video is probably better than a wonky clip downloaded from Hall of Fame. Good luck!
By darn_meg
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 07:32 AM
Thaks a lot you guys! We got the tryout phamphlets and I'm trying out March 22 and 23. I'm going to take your guys' advice and use more tricks in my routine. I already have a center split, an axel,a c jump, and a broncho(toe-touch). Right now I'm having problems landing my axel the way the coach wants me to land it (none of the coaches or Raiderettes taught us any of these things and i can't really find them online) I already know that I'm doing better than some of the girls trying out for JV so my confidence is building. Thaks for giving me advice and helping me out! ( you can keep sending advice if you want, I can use all the help I can get)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 05:06 PM
Rather than having to pay for a private lesson, can you call one of the girls on the existing Varsity team?

I'm on my school's varsity dance team and if some girl called me and asked nicely if I could help them, I'd be more than willing to meet tham for an hour or two on a Saturday.

An existing member of the team will be able to show you exactly how to land everything and tell you what the coach will exactly want.
here is a little help
By xoxodancexoxo
On Tue Jan 24, 2006 08:07 AM
ok well for your double turns all I can say is SPOT! thats what helped me a lot is always spot and you can get it. and for you making up your own dance moves, everytime your lisenting to the radio just start moving and dancing and that really helps you say ur dancing to it and u do this really cute dance move write it down and then use it for your dance. these was all tought to me by my coaches for dancing. IT helps A LOT!!

ReplySendWatch