Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Hula Help!
By TweeSparkle
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 08:20 PM

Ok... Anyone know that show 30 seconds to fame? Well I saw some hula dancers on there and I really liked what they were doing. I especially liked the costume. Now, would the costume be a certain type of Hula, or a certain ceremony? Hope that makes sense... They're skirts looked like a round disk, with grass on it and everything, around their hips with a regular grass skirt underneath. I cannot remember what type of hula they said they were doing. =/ Help?

I'm not sure any of this makes sense, well it does to me, but if I've hurt your brain tell me and I'll try to be more clear about what I'm trying to say and ask. XP

Thank you!

~Abby

3 Replies to Hula Help!

re: Hula Help!
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 09:16 PM
I'm REALLY sorry, but I don't know for sure what you're asking. :?

Did you want to learn how to dance hula, or just how to make that kind of costume...?
By TweeSparkle
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 09:22 PM
Oh! How to dance, but I wanted to know what type of Hula dance would go along with that costume.
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 07:22 PM
Hmm...there are two types of hula: kahiko and auana. Really generally and simply, Kahiko is the traditional style, where the "costuming" was mainly natural materials. Auana is more modern and from what I know, the "costuming" is mostly aloha-print dresses. So I will assume you saw kahiko hula.

In kahiko, dancers spend most of their time dancing with their knees deeply bent and the movements aren't as, say, delicate. The music is mainly that of the ipu heke (gourd drum) and the motions are directly corresponding with the rhythm. It's impossible to truly teach hula over the internet -- you really need an instructor.

You may want to take a look at the following already-existing threads:

www.dance.net . . .

www.dance.net . . .

www.dance.net . . .

:)

ReplySendWatch