Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

warmups
By bina1357
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 09:54 PM

HI all!

I am teaching 2 of the top tap classes at my studio. I am looking for some fun warmups to do at the beginning of class. I've done tons of paradiddle (or paddle & rolls) combos. Anything else? Anything else you always try to incorporate into your classes? I ususally do forward stuff(flap ball change combos, flap combos, riffs), turning stuff sideways stuff(buffalos, cramp rolls), a combo or 2, then backwards stuff(pull backs, drawbacks etc). I am beginning to get bored of that routine.

Thanks for your help! This is a great site. I am so excited to read about things like the Shim Sham Shimmy & Cincinnati. I've only heard those mentioned in the tap books I've read.

Thanks again in advance,

Tina H.

8 Replies to warmups

re: warmups
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:21 PM
I usually start with nerve taps or some kind of ankle rolls or warmups. I have a set shuffle combinations that we usually do for about 6 weeks. It's based on combinations from Steve Condos mostly, I have used combinations from Judy Ann Basing, and Mike Minnery along with my own.

I always do some kind of paradiddle combination (paddle and roll.) My advanced students I continue to build on the combination each week until they have mastered all parts.

I always incorporate some kind of cramp roll and reversing cramp roll combinations that change from week to week.

After all that basic technique I do some kind of rhythm combination or do call and response work. My advanced classes do Jason Samuels Smith's 2 minute drills every other week and they are getting pretty good at them. I don't go across the floor as much with my advanced classes because my classes are really large and just don't have time to accomodate getting through everyone, and they really need to get used to choreography being thrown at them and listening to rhythms. I spend time teaching them how to count things or how to scat the rhythm so when they go to conventions they can catch on faster and do better in scholarship auditions since I teach at a pre-pro school, but the emphasis is on jazz and lyrical.

At the end of class we do improv, or spend time working on tricks like 5 count wings, triple pullbacks, one footed paradiddles, one footed riffs, "shiggy bops" etc. If they are my intermediate clases then we stick to various pullbacks and wings if we haven't incorporated them in the combinations I did that day.

I try to incorporate working on counter rhythms and rounds every 4 weeks or so.

If you are looking for good videos to help you, Doublebass (a member here) has a great video called "The World Is My Drum" It incorporates warm up stuff, rhythms activities, and choreography.

I also like Thommie Retter's combinations. The videos are called Tap Generation Vol. I and II. Both are good for warm up/technique combos that build upon one another. It has a good amount of variety and difficulty. I don't like the fact he doesn't count things out, but good material for the most part.
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Mon Nov 07, 2005 03:33 AM
Speaking from a student's perspective here (I'm only teaching beginners at the moment), but what one of my favourite teachers used to do (studio was 'sold' - ie given to someone who couldn't teach half as well as he could) was random combinations. He wouldn't count us in, but would do any 2-bar (sometimes 4 bars if there were repeats) combination without counting us in. Our job was to repeat it at first look, proper speed. (Basic warmups like nerve taps and ankle rotations were our job to do before class officially started) Warmup combos would gradually build up and increase in difficulty. Particular strenths worked on - light and shade, speed, variance of speed and rhythm skills.

There literally wasn't much of a routine at all - everything was always new each week (he'd make it up on the spot). It was fantastic! We never knew what we'd be doing that week.
re: warmups (karma: 1)
By Chevy14
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 08:34 PM
Hmm yes just like glitterfairy im only teachign up to level three but in my more advanced classes we do a simple warm up to just get the blood flowing. We doooo
Ball taps in 8 front, 8 side, 8 back, 8side Ballchange turn....repaet on other foot...then doo it for 4, 4, 4, 2 repeat...then 2,2,2 ballchange repeat After that we sub taps for shuffles.

The we do a slap/shuffle combo so we go 4 slaps with foot farthest to wall and hit heel closest to wall... then 8 cross shuffles in front then 4 slap heels to side and 6 cross sfle ball change turn repeat.

finally we do flap heel heel brush ball heel heel...front once, side once then dubbletime front side front ball change repeat.

It gets our juices flowing and works really well for every age. After that we go across the floor like every other class and warm up on our wings, pickups and such..

hope this makes a difference?

Chevy
Ideas...
By DoubleBass
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:39 AM
I've read some great stuff about STEPS. Here's a twist for you... try changing the RHYTHMS that you're using for warm-ups. My whole warm-up is done "On-the-one". We don't swing a single step. It teaches students to ssssssttttttrrrrrreeeeeeetttt cccc hhhh out their steps. Especially shuffles. Tappers who "flicker" their shuffles sound SO AWFUL! It's MUCH more difficult to do a shuffle on 1 &, in the middle of a step than it is to do a shuffle on & 1 or swing-time. Try that! Good luck!

- Mike :)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 04:47 PM
^Totally agree!!! Try teaching students that have only shuffled one way their entire life and you want to pull your hair out.
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 12, 2005 05:08 AM
Maxi Ford turns! We always due those, but it's probably just to get our spotting "warmed-up" because most of us have a Jazz class right after.
xoxo
kait
By musictapsrod
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:07 AM
Mike, I agree with you on the shuffles. It's hard to teach the kids an "even or smooth" shuffle when most everywhere else teachers have them doing a "flicker" shuffle as you call it (I call it a "jerky" shuffle). On the other hand I do want my kids to be able to swing a shuffle as they will need to do it that way at some point for a choreographer. My personal reason for making the kids shuffle even/smooth is so it sounds good fast. Swing sounds great slow and medium but when it gets fast the sounds really run together and I find it's not so good. Now some kids will naturally adjust their rhythm from swing to even/smooth as they go faster but those kids are far and few between. I think we are in the minority having the kids shuffle even/smooth.

Rod
re: warmups (karma: 3)
By musictapsrod
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:15 AM
Okay here goes (it's all even and have them do it fast):

step-r, heel-l, heel-r
step-l, heel-r, heel-l
touch-r, heel-l
step-r, heel-l, heel-r
step-l, heel-r, heel-l
touch-r, heel-l, touch-r, heel-l
step-r, heel-l, heel-r
step-l, heel-r, heel-l
touch-r, heel-l, touch-r, heel-l, touch-r, heel-l, stamp-r
reverse all

not for the real butt kicker (all even and do it fast. dig=back edge of the heel, toe=lifting the toe tap while keeping the heel on the ground then dropping toe tap):
dig-r, toe-l, toe-r
dig-l, toe-r, toe-l
dig-r, toe-l
dig-r, toe-l, toe-r
dig-l, toe-r, toe-l
dig-r, toe-l, dig-r, toe-l
dig-r, toe-l, toe-r
dig-l, toe-r, toe-l
dig-r, toe-l, dig-r, toe-l, dig-r, toe-l stamp-r

enjoy (I know it's hard to learn from words, that's why I have my web site;)

Rod

ReplySendWatch