Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

What are these?
By darn_meg
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 04:28 AM

I know I'm supposed to know what the following things are but I really don't. I dont know what a chaine or tourjette are could some one just briefly explain cuz i need some help.

13 Replies to What are these?

re: What are these?
By darlin_dancer
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:51 AM
chaine is a 3 step turn... out together down... and a torjette is kinda like a jump... u sashay, then kick one leg towards the front and as u turn to the back kick the other one up... sorry its very hard to explain without showing u but i hope it helps
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 05:35 PM
um, no. The term is "tour jete" which roughly translates to "turning leap". And unless you're rupaul, there is no such thing as a sashay. It's "chasse" which translates to "chase". say "Shaw-say" NOT "Sash-ay". Not to mention your netspeak which is against the TOS. Jeez.

Be careful where you get your information.
By RifleBuddy
On Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:17 PM
Hey, maybe he/she didn't know how to spell "chasse". It's a common mistake.
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 09:39 AM
then she should check her spelling before passing on bad habits. And it's not just the spelling. A tour jete has absolutely nothing to do with a chasse.

This IS a dance site, after all. We don't come here to be misinformed.
By yaelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 06:41 PM
actually, i chasse into my tour jetes, as well. I don't know what tourjetes you refer to, panic, but i've been to two studios and both of them call tour jetes exactly what darlin_dancer was explaining.
By dancerchick10
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 06:49 PM
Yeah, I chasse into my tour jetes too. My studio teaches them just like darlin_dancer said.
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 02:30 AM
I don't want to sound like a complete jerk, but you're both wrong. If your studio didn't teach you the difference between a preperatory move and the move itself, I'm sorry. A chasse has nothing to do with a tour jete. And I'd really suggest you do some research before you keep arguing this point. Because you're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.
By katiemarina
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 04:09 PM
^CHILL! sometimes it's helpful to hear how *most* people prep into something. please don't post to a question unless you plan on answering instead of telling other people they are wrong.
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 07:31 PM
funny. you just posted to tell me I'm wrong without adding any information. so take your own advice.

And feel free to report any of my posts which you think are inappropriate. It's the little button that says 'MOD' on it. I can't wait.

A chaine is a three step turn. Chaine means "chain" and it is so called because you can perform these turns in succession (they're chained together). They are common in ballet, jazz, tap and modern as well as many ethnic forms. Chaines always travel.

Tour Jete means turning leap. It's probably easier to give instructions than to explain, so here goes. Start by performing a saute (hop) on your left foot with your right leg extended devant - (forward). At the height of your leap, you will switch legs (to land on your right leg - this motion feels similar to a fouette) while turning around 180 degrees to your left. Land on your right foot with your left leg in arabesque. They can be performed in place or travelling and they need no prep.
By katiemarina
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 06:24 AM
Removed by Lirit (28370) on 2005-11-16 09:56:18 Your mod button is not broken. Calling people out on the boards will NOT be tolerated.
^i think the above poster did a fine job of explaining so i felt no need to add anything...and i did not once use the word wrong in my post. i just felt that you were being inappropriate and needed to know.
somehow i knew you would say some smart alec remark like that.
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 09:48 AM
that's the second time you've posted just to attack me without even mentioning the OP's topic. I might have been snippy (for which, I apologize to darlin_dancer - I didn't know it was going to develop into a full on DRAMA), but I was addressing the topic.
please don't post to a question unless you plan on answering instead of telling other people they are wrong
Practice what you preach.

If you don't like my post, just report it. I don't need commentary on everything I write. bug off, you annoying gnat.
re: What are these? (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:40 PM
To try and end the further drama that will surely ensue... I reccomend that you go to the american ballet theatre website where you can see someone perform these moves. a tour jete is under "Jeté entrelacé" it is the same thing, don't get confused. You can also see them perfrom chaînés. Happy watching.. this is a great website to reference any basic moves.
By darn_meg
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 05:38 AM
Edited by darn_meg (144333) on 2005-11-24 05:39:10
Hey yall I know I should have commented sooner I just didn't get around to it. Thakns a whole lot for helping me out ALL of you helped me not just some (especially those who insulted others, but also gave me the most info) I really appreciate it. ;)

ReplySendWatch