Forum: Disco / Disco Competitions

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

Disco Competitions
Competitions in Norway (karma: 29)
By Dancing_Evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1556, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 06:50 AM
Edited by Dancing_Eva (59151) on 2005-11-10 06:57:13
Made sticky by Lirit (28370) on 2005-11-10 08:27:36
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-12-26 06:55:44 member request changes

I put up a post about why british dancers never come to Norway for disco competitions and I found out that the biggest reason is beacuse there are no helpfull information about it.
So here are some info about Norwegian disco competitions
and how to get to Norway.

<b>2006 Competitions:</b>
<b>11.02.2006</b> - Vintermesterskapet/Winter championship
Solo, pairs, slow
<b>11.03.2006</b> - Vårcup/Springcup
Solo, pairs, slow
<b>03.06.2006</b> - Sommercup/Summercup
Solo, pairs, slow
<b>16.09.2006</b> - Åpningscup/Opening Cup
Solo, pairs, slow
<b>21.10.2006</b> - Høstmesterskapet/Autumn Championship
Solo, pairs, slow

<b>Where?</b>
All these comps are in the area of the capital Oslo. The Autumn Championship is held in Fredrikstad, a couple of hours outside Oslo, but the rest is in Lillestrøm, 15 minutes outside Oslo.

<b>Norwegian Dance schools in this area:</b>
(If you want to do some classes and private lessons)
Studio Dans - studiodans.no
(Near Lillestrøm)
Lillestrøm Danseloft - lillestrom-danseloft.no
(In Lillestrøm)
Studio 1 - danseklubbe-studio1.no
(Near Lillestrøm)
Dansehuset - dansehuset.no
(In Oslo)
Fredrikstad Danseloft - danseloft.no
(In Fredrikstad)

<b>How to get here?</b>
<b>Low fare flights: norwegian.no</b>
London Standstead - Oslo Gardermoen

<b>Low fare flights: ryanair.com</b>
Glascow Prestwick - Torp Sandefjord
Liverpool (John Lennon) - Torp Sandefjord
Newcastle - Torp Sandefjord
London Stanstead - Torp Sandefjord

This is just 2 low fare company's, I bet there are many more cheap flight tickets out there :)

<b>Where do you stay?</b>
In Norway its perfectly normal to invite guest to stay at poeples houses, so if you are comfortable with living in a privat home (to etc a dancer) I'm sure many poeple will love to "have you". We have had sweedish dancers staying at my place and it was tons of fun.

If you prefer to stay in a hotel, this site might helps you: hotell.no
Select region: Eastern Norway or Oslo
Select destination: Oslo, Oslo/Lørenskog, Lillestrøm (trade fare) or Oslo City Center.
Or just ask any norwegian dancer on this site, I'm sure they will help.

<b>Langugage:</b>
Mostly Norwegians speak good english as we learn it at school from the age of 7-8.
Slang can be hard to understand for some ;)

<b>Food & Drink:</b>
Eating out in Norway is rather expensive, but we do have food chains like McDonalds, Peppes Pizza (almost like Pizza Hut), and Burger King, witch is cheaper. If you live in a private home you will prob. be treated like guest and get food for free. (Remember to ask about this if your staying in a private home) You can also go to a regular supermarket and buy food, you will save alot doing this. In Norway we can drink spring water, but If you have a "weak" stomack you should buy water because of diffrent bacteria. Buying water is rather expensive compared to the UK.

<b>About the competitions:</b>
Sections:
<b>Nybegynner/New Beginner</b> - Your first competition. The dress code is regular practise wear.
<b>Rekrutt/Beginner</b> - You dance in this section after you first competition and until you loose all your "points"/lifes. The dress code is regular practise wear.
<b>Litt Øvet/Starter</b>- Dress code: Almost like your starter costumes, but no sprakly fabric, feathers, chiffon etc. I can try to post a picture later of a correct "starter" costume.
<b>Mester/Intermediate</b> - Regular disco costumes, everything is allowed. Solo spots in the finale, 2 dancers do they solo spot at the same time.
Champion/Champs and Elite: From January 2006 there will be a new champs/elite system set in action. From now on everybody (that is a champ or former elite dancer) is a champ dancer when they enter the competition. You dont enter the comp as elite anymore. At each comp there will be like this:
First round: Everybody in each champ age section dance against eachother (like normal in inter, starter etc)
Then the judges will deside on 12-14 dancers that will dance in a elite section later on in the competition. The dancers that are not in the finale 12-14 still dance against the rest and there will still be a semi finale, finale in champs. This means that british dancer can dance in the Norwegian elite section if you get into the finale 12-14 at a competition.
(THIS SYSTEM IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT, THERE CAN BE CHANGES)

<b>Solo spot rules:</b>
You are <b>NOT</b> allowed to do walkovers or any 360 acrobatics.
You can do handstands on one or to hands.
You can do regular back bends and bridges.
You can do leg holds, back catches etc, as mutch as you want.
You can do a front and/or back roll.
Your spot has to be 16 bars (I think, 8 sets of 8, about 30 seconds)
In Inter two dancers do theyr spot together.
In Champs you do your spot alone.
You also have spots in pairs (both inter and champs)

<b>Slow rules:</b>
You are allowed to do walkovers.
We have 2 sections, one for champs and elite and one for beginners, starters and intermediates.
Free dress code.

<b>General rules:</b>
Children under 10 are not allowed to wear any kind of make-up or glitter.
Children under 10 are not allowed to get ranking. Everybody dances the finale, but only 7 of them do theyr spot. All the dancers gets a thropy.
You can take action shots and videotape as mutch as you want.
Parents etc also has to pay to get into the competition. Its usually £ 6 for adults and 3-4 for children.

<b>Competition fee</b>
About £ 6.00 for each start. If you are doing pairs, slow and solos its about £ 20.

<B>Some Norwegian disco dancers that are members on dance.net:</B>
Dancing_Eva
Lise3
LisaDaNcEr
Dirty_86
Malene
freestyledancer2
dancing_Therese
D4fungirl
DancingLisbet
Shake_it
MariaDancer
Kristin83

*I hope this was helpfull*

86 Replies to Competitions in Norway

re: Competitions in Norway
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 07:06 AM
Hi this is a very helpful post and hope some dancers can manage to come and partake of your lovely hospitality over there and whoever goes I am sure they will be made really welcome

The English every one speaks is fantastic even young children who do not speak it can understand a lot

This is my oppininion after just spending 5 days in norway beiong entertained

Love Mama DD's xxx
By Lise3Premium member Comments: 4482, member since Fri Feb 14, 2003
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 07:09 AM
Great job Eva!
Hope people come over now.
If anyone needs help, just ask.
By Nicola_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2257, member since Sun Dec 21, 2003
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 07:12 AM
Wow,

What a really helpful and informative post Eva - a lot of hard work there.

I think its great that you are trying to unite the dancers from the uk and norway. I hope some of our dancers do go over to participate.

Well done again.

Nicola x
Comps in Norway
By PrincessJo Comments: 39, member since Tue Mar 22, 2005
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 09:39 AM
What a great message - never thought of going abroad for a comp.

Well done to all the Norwegian dancers who danced at Camber Sands at the end of October. You all danced really well!

Jo x
Chloe and I
By chloesmom Comments: 6972, member since Sun Feb 02, 2003
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:50 AM
Hi
what a fab post I know our good friend Josie Gurden visits Norway it would be fab to come and go to a comp im deffinately going to look in to it xxxxxx
By bexndeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1038, member since Fri Nov 19, 2004
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 02:56 PM
Wow what a brilliant and helpful post!

I'd love to go to Norway but there's no chance with my school as the biggest comp we do is Filey!!!

Karma for all the info!

Love Becci x
By skyzieloulouPremium member Comments: 887, member since Wed Feb 16, 2005
On Thu Nov 10, 2005 03:30 PM
Hi

what a great post and its quite different to disco here i like the rules about under 10s wearing no makeup and no rankings it makes it less competative for the younger ones

thanks for the info
sarah xxx
norway comps
By energyboom Comments: 693, member since Wed May 11, 2005
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 05:43 AM
hi my name is thomas and i'm from dublin in ireland i started to gaive private lesons and workshops in norway during the summer and i was really impressed and i a now looking into taking my school to a comp in norway next year!!!!! i will be back in norway teahing at elbjerg's studios in november
By Debbie2003member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1662, member since Thu May 01, 2003
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 06:12 AM
Brill post!!

I had an ace time when i was over in Lillestorm and trust me it is so easy to find your way around!!...well i managed it on my own anyway lol

Hope to go over to a comp and compete next time

See you soon Norway :)
Debs xx
By alexles Comments: 804, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:01 PM
Thank you for posting this information.

We are definitely interested in coming to one of the comps. Probably October as this falls in our half term week.

Great idea for a holiday in Norway

Les and Alex
By nikklamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6864, member since Sat Mar 22, 2003
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:09 PM
hiya

wowee eva thats fab info, i was soo suprised how good the norweigns english is :O i was chatting to charlotte at camber sands and i thought she just had an accent, as if she was from the north of england!

Nicola xx
By freestyledancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 448, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Fri Nov 11, 2005 05:16 PM
Wow Eva, great job you have done! I can post some photos of starter costumes. I think I got some.

Now let's hope that we will have some dancers from England coming over to compete. So if someone wonder about something, just ask!
By dirty_86member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 995, member since Sun Apr 20, 2003
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 05:11 AM
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-11-14 09:50:41 overuse of smilies - they are not full stops
Hi Eva!
Brilliant post, lets hope that the English dancers are coming over for 2006

Thanks Nicola, but I think my English is real bad! LOL ;)
I think that you should take the trip over together with Kurt
That would be sooo cool!

Hope to see you in Norway

If you have any questions, just ask

love Charlotte
By dirty_86member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 995, member since Sun Apr 20, 2003
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 06:58 AM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-11-14 09:49:31 double post
Hi Eva!
Brilliant post! Lets hope the English dancers are coming over now!
Karma for the hard work!!!

To Nicola: thanks for saying that, but I think my English ir terrible! lol!
Hope that you are comming over to Norway, and bring Kurt with you :)

Hope to see you all in Norway one day!!! Just ask if you have any questions!

Love Charlotte
hi
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 07:00 AM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-11-14 09:49:37 double post
Hi Eva!
Brilliant post! Lets hope the English dancers are coming over now!
Karma for the hard work!!!

To Nicola: thanks for saying that, but I think my English ir terrible! lol!
Hope that you are comming over to Norway, and bring Kurt with you :)

Hope to see you all in Norway one day!!! Just ask if you have any questions!

Love Charlotte
By freestyledancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 448, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 08:24 AM
Here is some pictures of starters costumes that is allowed in Norway:

i7.photobucket.com . . .
i7.photobucket.com . . .
i7.photobucket.com . . .
i7.photobucket.com . . .

Lots of love Martine
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 09:58 AM
Those starter costumes are exactly like we can have over here in Uk

The english that all Norwegiwms speak is fantastic

While I was over all the children over about 6 spoke very good english and even the younger ones understood

Perhaps will get to see a comp sometime when I am over in Trondheim although I believe it is Quite a long way to Oslo from there and would have to fly

Love Mama DD's xxx
On Sun Nov 13, 2005 04:10 AM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-11-14 09:48:56 pointless post - if you noticed there were three posts, you could have used the mod button
Lol, three post from me:P haha
I put up one, and one hour later the post wasnt there, so I put up a new one, and now all the tree are there, LOL! HAHA
By discochic_norwaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 448, member since Wed Jun 08, 2005
On Sun Nov 13, 2005 07:43 AM
Great post=D I guess you used a lot of time on it, its amazing:D
By MissyTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3660, member since Wed Aug 11, 2004
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 02:39 PM
Wow ! Thanks Eva !

I would love to go to a comp out in Norway ! I'm retiring in March so now this information is up I may look at going to the Winter Championships.

Maybe we could rally up a big bunch of us Brits to go out there !

Thanks for the information. Is really helpful !

Teri Xxx

PS: Just wondering why you're allowed to do a walkover in slow but not solo ?
By Dancing_Evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1556, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 04:53 AM
I'm really not sure why we can do them in slow but not solo, but I guess it might have something to do with getting around the floor better in slow. I have to find out about this, lol
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 04:55 PM
I know why we can't do them in solos.
We used to be able to do all we wanted of walkovers, cartweels... But then some people ended up doing it in half of their spots, and should really rather have entered a gymcomp.. So instead of limiting it, like you will have to next year, they decided to not allow any.

I do think you guys could dance in elite to though. But you'd have to get 1,2, og 3rd in one comp, in champs, and then come back for the next comp to dance in elite.. Don't think a lot of you would consiter that though.. ;)
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 05:44 AM
Lise3: I dont think they can dance in Elite. Remember Junior became elite but he wasent allowed to dance so Marita R got his place ;)
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:08 PM
Ok, I didn't know she got his place.. He was always on the list of elite dancers though..
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatchDraw