Forum: General / Welcome

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Welcome
Welcome To Dance.net! A Guide for New Members (karma: 29)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 03:15 PM
Edited by PieceofToast (36942) on 2005-11-14 15:16:09
Edited by PieceofToast (36942) on 2005-11-14 15:16:32
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-11-14 15:30:23 Contest winner 11/14/05
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-07-31 22:40:52 ammended mod listing
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-07-31 22:44:20 ammended date for mod listing and number of mods
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2010-08-21 08:33:36 ..ammended
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-09-05 02:21:05 Added new mods
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-09-05 02:22:39 Fixed markup code.

Welcome To Dance.net!
A guide for new members

First off, I would like to welcome all new members to dance.net. Learning the ropes may be hard, but if you stick around you will notice that dance.net (or DDN as members like to call it) has a lot to offer and is filled with nice people. But remember, there are a lot of things that one should know before going ahead and posting.

Basic Things to Know

The creator of the site is Linh.. He does a lot of behind the scenes work, as does webheadmaster who does a lot of programming. Generally, both are around to help with anything you need help with. If you’re having problems (needing a post deleted, being attacked by another member, etc) it’s best to contact one of the other mods first by hitting the mod button or just by seeing which is online and PM’ing them. To mod a post, scroll down to the bottom of the reply or post that you wish to mod and press the mod button. Tell the mods why you are modding the post and send it to them. To see who is online at the time, scroll to the “members” part of the toolbar and select “online.” It will show you who has been online in the past 30 minutes.

The Mods

At this point in time (Sept. 2010) there are thirteen mods other than Linh and webheadmaster. You can see their names in various colors. No one other than the mods have colors around there names so they can be easier to find.

The mods at this point in time are:
calypso
Chaconne
Helen
hummingbird
hylndlas
imadanseur
lidwina
Lirit
Odessa
oz_helen
Sumayah
TheMidlakeMuse
Theresa

Stars
Stars are awarded per amount of comments you have. Yes, these little stars are cute, but please remember; it is best that you earn these stars by posting good and informative posts. One word posts are considered starfarming and can be removed by mods. This will sometimes take away from your post count.

You are awarded:
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/star1.gif' for 50 comments
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/star2.gif' for 250 comments
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/star3.gif' for 500 comments
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/star4.gif' for 1000 comments
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/star5.gif' for 5000 comments

Remember; Members appreciate it when your comments are well thought out and have content to them. Refrain from simple answers.

For comments, please think before you click the “reply” button.

For instance, if the original post is “I am having problems with my dancing. My shoes seem a bit wide, should I try a different brand?”

If you have input, maybe say “Yes, I think you should try a different band. Such and such shoes are made for the more narrow feet. If you go to a dance store, I am sure someone will help you find shoes that will fit better”

Instead of saying “Yes.” Or “Yes, get new shoes.”

Karma is awarded to members by members. If you think a post is informative, you can click the “rate +” button to award members karma. That being said, people can do the same for you. Please do not ask for karma, if a member wishes to give it to you, they will. The more karma you have, the more karma you can award daily. You get a moon for karma. To give karma, you must be a full member. To become a full member you must be a member for 7 days and post 20 comments.

You are awarded:
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma1.gif' for 5 karma
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma2.gif' for 25 karma
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma3.gif' for 50 karma.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma4.gif' for 100 karma
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/karma5.gif' for 500 karma.

Please do not copy and paste something word for word. Getting karma for something that is not yours is frowned upon. Paraphrasing is good! If you do copy and paste something word for word, please cite it (state where you got it, give the website address or book name). If you are given karma for something you did not write, it would be honest and generous to mod it and ask the mods to remove the karma. After all, why have more karma to be proud of if it is not for something you wrote?

Also, please don’t give out karma to someone just for replying to your thread or saying your pictures are beautiful.

The Eye

People get the eye by saluting. Please note: It is NOT a rule that you have to salute or post pictures on dance.net. If you are underage, please get your parent’s permission.

Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/salute.gif'

The salutes board is located under the general tab.

To salute, your picture must include:

Your face without anything covering it.
A note that says your screen name and “dance.net”
A hand holding the note must be visible.
The note must be handwritten on lined paper.

Please allow the mods a week or so to award you your eye. If you have no received your eye within a week to two weeks, contact a mod.

So what IS that picture beside member’s names? They are called avatars. To have an avatar, you must be a full member and have posted 50 comments. To upload a picture as an avatar, visit your profile page and click the “upload avatar” link. It will automatically be resized to 100x100pixels. It must be less than 100KB. Please be courteous, do not steal people’s avatars. Find or make one of your own so people can have their own.

Please do not use inappropriate avatars. Try to keep it PG-13 or below. Always consider others’ feelings.

Private Messages
Or PM’s

Private messages are messages sent to one person that can only be viewed by one person. New members cannot send PM’s, but they can reply to ones they receive. To PM someone, click the “PM” button below one of their comments or go to their profile and click “Send a private message.” Please remember that PM’s can be modded, so do not use them negatively. You may not post private messages on the boards in full or parts of them. If you do, you can get banned temporarily or permanently from the site.

Rules
This is a basic overview of the rules at Dance.net; you can find more information at SITE RULES: A Definitive Guide to DDN by BalletGurl.

1. Please do not type in netspeak. What is netspeak? tHiS iS nEtSpEaK. How r u iz netspeak. Please do not use it in posts, replies, chat, anywhere. Dance.net is an international site, many people on here do not speak English as their first language. By typing in netspeak, you’re being lazy and rude towards those that don’t understand it.
2. Karma for photos is not allowed.
3. Do not use profanity at DDN. Please do not even use it if it is partially censored (using an asterisk instead of a letter or a symbol instead of a letter is still considered cursing.)
4. Do not advertise in the general forums.
5. Posting in all capital letters is considering shouting. Please be considerate and do not shout. Posting With Every Word In Captial Letters Is Also Not Allowed.
6. Sharing accounts is not permitted unless it is agreed to by the staff. Parents can share an account with a child, but it needs to be written in the profile who is using the account.
7. Keep netiquette in mind. Do not call people names, don’t insult people, don’t threaten people, etc.
8. Please do not hijack threads. If you have something off-topic to say to someone, PM them.
9. Use descriptive titles.
10. Do not starfarm (posting comments just to get enough stars to be a full member or increase comment total).
11. Don’t bump your thread up by saying “bump.” If people have something to say, they will say it. Give other people’s post time to be on the first page as well.
12. Do not contact members for personal information (including asking for e-mail addresses or pictures of them).

The Forums
A list of all forums around Dance.net can be found at….
All the forums of Dance.net take two by TomatoWench.

Under all of the tabs are the main forums, which include sub forums. For example, Ballet – Beginners is a sub forum of Ballet.

The main forums under each tab are as follows;

Dance
General, Adults, Advice, Arts, Ballet, Ballroom, Disco, Fold, Highland, Hip Hop, Irish, Jazz, Modern, Music, and Tap. You will also find what is “Hot” on the forums at the time, which shows you the posts that have the most recent reply.

Abroad
Asia, Australia, Canada, China, Europe, France, Germany, Latin America, New Zealand, Russia, South America, United Kingdom, and United States.

Jobs
Dance Jobs, Events, Film & TV, For Hire, Models Wanted, Musicians, Singers Wanted, Theatre and Stage, and Writers Wanted.

Owners
(Please note that ask a studio owner is the only forum open to everyone, to access the others, a one time fee of $50 is necessary.(go to Studio Owners FAQ by Linh for more information.))
Main Studio Owners, Ask A Studio Owner, Financial, Marketing, Policies, and Studio Owners.

Sports
Sports, Cheerleading, Colorguard, Gym, Skating, Teams, and Twirling.

Teachers
Teachers Only

VIS
Or Virtual International School. (See Welcome to VIS: A New and Improved Guide by GrishkoGirl for more information on what VIS is)
VIS, Companies, Departments, Arabesque Dorm, Attitude Dorm, Fouette Dorm, Plie Dorm, Rehearsals, and Sororities.

Scrolling along the different categories per tab allows you to access forums that fit into the categories.

Image hotlink - 'http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/RandomNothing/DDN.jpg'

What will happen when do you not follow the rules

Yes, you can get banned off of dance.net. Lying about who you are, refusing to not follow a rule (even not typing in netspeak), and creating problems for mods can get you banned. Your first ban may only be a day or two, depending on what you did. It may also be a ban for life. If for some reason, you are banned for a bit, do not create another account. The mods will find out and you will be banned forever.

Posting pictures

When you have saluted and can post pictures (or even if you are posting pictures on a board that are not of you), please only post one post. Hotlinking pictures can be used to post more than one picture in each post. For hotlinking/jpeg help, there are two links at the bottom that will help you.

Adding smilies, color, etc to your post

The codes for markups (i.e.: smilies and such) can be found here. Please remember, smilie faces and colors can be fine, but do not overdo it. Also, please do not put a full post in a color.

Remember!

Dance.net respects everyone’s opinion. Please act on Dance.net how you would act on a day to day basis on the forums. Respect people’s opinions, be nice, and be courteous. Negative replies are not tolerated by mods and punishments will be given. Above all, have fun. Dance.net has allowed many members to meet new people who share the same passion. Not everyone here is a dancer, but a lot of us are into the arts and respect the arts. Be open minded and be respectful. Older members are always willing to help you out if you ask nicely. Look around at the different forums, there is so much to find and so many forums through this site. You can participate in debates, philosophy talk, ballet talk, stretching talk, contests, etc.

Posts that will help you out on the basics of dance.net

How to be a great member of Dance.net By Rockette107
Behavior in Chat By alleycat
Netslang: The Definitive Guide by Arak
Especially For the Newbies and New Members: Some Observations and Helpful Advice By Cindy3
Help on Image Hotlinking By groovytwins
Saving your photos as a jpeg file by PokeyStar
A note to newbies---what not to post by Shoreliner23
Dance.net: The Dance Tab, and you! By Theresa
Welcome and Don't be afraid of older members! By MadRussian
READ ME: About rudeness and arguments by Linh
Inflammatory avatars are inappropriate, use the debate boards By Linh
Regarding body salutes By Linh.
Why We Request Salutes, Why We Don't, And What Happens When Our Requests Go Ignored… By Theresa
What is a Salute and how do I get the Salute Eye Icon? By Linh

Thank you for taking your time to get to know DDN. We are all here to help if you ask nicely.

-PoT/Brittany

126 Replies to Welcome To Dance.net! A Guide for New Members

re: Welcome To Dance.net! A Guide for New Members
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 06:09 PM
You did such a wonderful job in the contest PoT! You deserve my karma.

Hey, first one to post!

-Ash
By Cutedancer11211 Comments: 943, member since Sun Jul 24, 2005
On Mon Nov 21, 2005 02:08 PM
You did a very nice job POT. Congratulations and that deserves my Karma as well.

Megan
re: Welcome To Dance.net! A Guide for New Members (karma: 1)
By Jess_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1403, member since Thu Jun 16, 2005
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:44 AM
hi

Great post!!!!!!!

also there is a definative guide to ddn post on the tell dance.net forum!!1

lv jess
xxxx
hi
By dancin_jess Comments: 1, member since Sat Jul 02, 2005
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:57 AM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2005-12-03 11:03:58 This is netspeak ---> "u r kewl... wut skool do u go to?". Netspeak is the deliberate shortening or misspelling of words. It is not permitted anywhere on this site. Not on the boards, either in original posts or replies, and not in chat. Period. Please take the time to type those few extra letters. Moderators will completely remove posts that contain netspeak.
hiya did u go camber dis year?
wot catorgie r u in?
wot dance skwl u go 2?
luv Jess
xoxoxox
By q_t_pie Comments: 61, member since Sat Dec 24, 2005
On Sun Dec 25, 2005 03:21 PM
Thats right! I did see your entry! I didn't know it won! Sorry! Anyway, thank yoy for doing that for everyone!

Samantha
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7577, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:29 PM
Great post, Piece of Toast! It's good that there's all this threads nowadays to help newbies out. It's hard when you first join and you have no idea but now it is all explained clearly.
Also, new members don't be afraid of older members we won't bite your heads off. (Unless you taste like Cadbury *winks*)

*~Cadbury_Eater~*

Wherever there is Cadbury in this world it shall be eaten.
By firecrystal Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:54 AM
thank you very much...it is indeed of great help and warm welcome for a new member like me... looking forward to be able to go through smoothly...
By ingridm Comments: 315, member since Wed Jan 25, 2006
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 05:14 AM
hi, i am a new member to dancenet.is the site easy to use. i am not compleatly computer illiterate, or a good speller for that matter. i would be grateful for any help or tips you can offer. thanks. ingridm.x
By dancingfreak101 Comments: 2, member since Fri Jan 27, 2006
On Fri Jan 27, 2006 02:16 AM
Thanks so much. That was a very informative post for me being a new member. I hope to meet many new people here.

Thanks again,
Rebekah :)
By BizzKidsTeachermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 223, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 AM
please please help
it doesnt say how to get your salute anywhere and it is majourly annoying me now
plz PM me
thanks
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 AM
The Eye

People get the eye by saluting. Please note: It is NOT a rule that you have to salute or post pictures on dance.net. If you are underage, please get your parent’s permission.

Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/blue/widgets/salute.gif'

The salutes board is located under the general tab.

To salute, your picture must include:

Your face without anything covering it.
A note that says your screen name and “dance.net”
A hand holding the note must be visible.
The note must be handwritten on lined paper.

Please allow the mods a week or so to award you your eye. If you have no received your eye within a week to two weeks, contact a mod.
By LISA4member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1420, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 05:20 PM
Thank you very much for this welcome post :) It is really user friendly and has helped me enormously to understand the in and outs of dance net!!!
luv lisa
xx
By highlandchick Comments: 13, member since Fri Feb 17, 2006
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 06:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the help... but I kinda still feel lost. This info will really come in handy but I'm learning so much new stuff I think my brain will explode.

Thanks again!
By dancer3Vmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 165, member since Mon Feb 20, 2006
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 04:18 PM
Thanks for that. being a new member it helps to know or be able to learn the ropes before hand!
-Shelby.
By Ballet2theBones Comments: 20, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 07:41 PM
YAY! Im finally here! Im kinda overwhelmed! I'll get the hang of it!!
good welcome
By erinkay1281 Comments: 9, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:54 PM
my name is erin and i am new to dance net and i wanted to say that i really like that there is a place that dancers can go to to talk about dance and even other arts. while reading the welcome guide i was excited to know how much information is out there about the arts. i love that there are so many of us supporting each other especially in a business like this where it is extremely tough to get that support.
By GyMnAsT_15 Comments: 42, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 09:04 AM
Hia
Thanks a lot i am a new member and you have really helped me
Katie xox
By danceluver14 Comments: 10, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Thu Mar 16, 2006 03:21 PM
Edited by danceluver14 (153645) on 2006-03-16 15:22:21 forgot number
thanks alot for all the info! i was wondering what those eyes and moons were for!

thanks again!danceluver14
By danca1991 Comments: 71, member since Fri Jan 27, 2006
On Sun Apr 02, 2006 03:43 AM
well done this is realy usefull infomation i only signed up yeterday and posted 2o comments i am now working towards 5o.:D

XEMX
thanks!
By Isabelle_singer Comments: 10, member since Sat Apr 08, 2006
On Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:10 AM
I am Isabelle, a 17 year old singer (turning 18 in May) and I've just joined this website. I'm still a new member, then. But I really found that post informative. I am very happy to have found this website. I'm also hoping to find some new and exciting things for my singing career from this website.

Welcome to all the other new members :D
Thanks!
By Dancer_Mama Comments: 31, member since Sun Apr 09, 2006
On Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:28 PM
Thank you so much for posting this information! It has been very helpful and I feel confident now about findig my way around. Thank you!
By nikki_nat Comments: 505, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Mon Apr 24, 2006 03:50 AM
Thanks for all that info. I am new to dance net and it has really helped
By pirouettes77 Comments: 186, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:09 AM
Wow!
I'm not realitivly new, but I still didn;t know everything
I came to look at this post to find out what karma was, so now I am awarding you my karma!
Congrats!
Liz
By pirouettes77 Comments: 186, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:01 PM
Wow!
I'm not realitivly new, but I still didn;t know everything
I came to look at this post to find out what karma was, so now I am awarding you my karma!
Congrats!
Liz
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch