Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Mao Asada
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 09:22 PM

I'm loving her - someone said she's like a young Kristi and I couldn't agree more, only what a powerhouse! I'd keep my eye on her...

12 Replies to Mao Asada

re: Mao Asada
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 09:26 AM
Any links where we can find out more about her? My lousy cable tv service doesn't show ANY ice skating competitions till christmas (then they just show repeats).
On Thu Nov 17, 2005 09:08 PM
I googled her and it came back with several fan pages - she's new on the senior scene but I see her becoming very good very fast - already placing at Grand Prix and such...
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 03:05 AM
Yes there are two up coming japanese girls Mao and Mai

Unfortunately owing to the new rules Mao will not be old enough for the 2006 olympics

I believe we have to watch these two sisters who have the same coach and see what happens could be good

Love Mama DD's xxx
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 06:43 AM
Whoa. I saw a video of her latest long program. She's a tiny little power-house. Amazing. Can't wait to see more.
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 25, 2005 04:24 PM
I have a montage of her attempting quad(!) loops in practice. One of them was pretty darn close...
By nanersmom
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 03:41 PM
I love it in her short program to " Carmen " when she twirls her ponytail! I remember seeing Kristi doing that once in a program. I also want to say Congrats to Kristi on the birth of her second daughter!!
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 08, 2005 07:30 PM
i watched them skate earleri or just one of them
i was in ammazment becuase they are the same age as me i was like wow
By gorhythmic
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 09:32 PM
can you post the montage of her attempting quads? im curious! i think she is very techniquely-gifted, and she is so presice - BUT i dont agree with her beating sasha cohen in Paris (apart from cohens fall). Mao's "ponytail twirling" is of no comparison to sasha's passion and expression and her elegence and fluidity of line - i dont know much about judging figure skating but doesnt a large percentage of the score represent a skaters presentation and performance? just a thought....
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 07:20 AM
There are a lot of issues around the new judging system but I'll disagree with you ^. Yes, Sasha has a nicer presentation, but her fall cost her a major deduction, which is mandatory. The system is based on points, and since Mao is technically superior with a clean program she'll beat Sasha with a fall or two every time I'm afraid.
By nanersmom
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:36 AM
I never said her ponytail made her a better skater!!! The ponytail statement was in reference to the fact that she reminded me of a very young Kristi Yamaguchi. As I did not see the competition were Mao beat Sascha, I now know why, once again Sascha fell. Sascha is a very beautiful skater, and she is poetry in motion on the ice. I love how she feels the very essence of the music.
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 04:04 AM
I'm a big fan of sasha's skating. She's strong and graceful and somehow manages to catch everyones attention when she is skating. Her expression is huge and when she has a good day, she is amazing. You're right, Mao's jumps seem to be better and are more consistent than sasha's. I don't really like the new way of scoring points, but that's for another post.
I have a few video's of Mao's competitions and she's just amazing. So much energy and height on her jumps and her spins are great too. I guess she could work on expression to reach the level of Kristi.
By Skate_Crazy
On Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:48 AM
Mao is an amazing skater. It's a bummer that she's too young to go to the Olympics... I think she'd have a fair shot at a medal.... But I love "The Nutcracker" LP. It's really nice.

ReplySendWatch