Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Starting A Dance Team
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 09:50 AM

My friend and I are trying to start a dance team (hiphop/jazz) at school,and we are wondering what we should do for tryouts.

We figured that the week before there would be a "boot camp" in which we will run down on what is going to be expected of people on the team,and the tryout routine.

Required skills would be:

- chaine turns
- pirouette
- ball change
- grand jete
- pas de bourre

Optional skills would be:

- splits
- kicks
- fouettes
- leaps

* All of these would be taught at the Boot Camp,and if there are any things that we should add please say so.

Then,at the tryouts we would give scores based on:

- technique
- how well they know the routine
- expression
- required skills
- optional skills

* Again,if there is anything missing,please say so.

Of course,my friend and I are also going to try out for fairness.

16 Replies to Starting A Dance Team

re: Starting A Dance Team
By Odancer234875
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 06:51 PM
Hey! thats great you guys are doing that! You should also look at how hard the girls try!
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 03:09 PM
Yeah,we will also look at how hard they try.I wish finding an advisor would be easier...If we don't,there will be no team...And we have already asked about 5 people.
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 04:39 PM
Update : My friend got us an advisor afterschool,and she just told me!

I have some 8 count mini routines that we will repeat 4 times each for the tryouts,plus an 8 count mini routine that will be expanded later on:

1) grapevine: 4 counts to the left
kick-ball-change; left leg,right leg
grapevine: 4 counts to the right
kick-ball-change; right leg,left leg

2) top rock: 4 counts starting with left leg
grapevine: 4 counts to the left
top rock: 4 counts starting with right leg
grapevine: 4 counts to the right

3) tombe pas de bourre: 4 counts to the left
pique: 2 counts to the right
pique: 2 counts to the left
tombe pas de bourre: 4 counts to the right

4) top rock: 1 count
ball-change: 2 counts
kneel: 1 count
slap hands: 1 count
straight leg: 1 count
knee up salute: 1 count
jump down: 1 count

So I still have figure out how we are going to do pirouettes (combo?).
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:21 PM
The way my old dance team taught pirouettes, which was really easy to understand and to clean! goes like so...

Stand with feet togetehr and arms cleaned to sides. On counts 1 and 2 bring right foot to second postion (pointing)and arms to second.
On counts 3 and 4. Bring right foot behind to to 4th position, plie, and bring right arm straight in front of your body.

And turn.

If the people who try out have any dance experience at all, leave about 4 counts of 8 at the end of the tryout dance for dancers to add their own choreography in. To show off any skills they can do or more expression or something. Plus, they might be hepful in choreography. That's how every tryout for our dance team goes and it seems to work well.
On Thu Nov 17, 2005 04:42 AM
Yeah,we were planning on doing that.Also,we were thinking that an upperclassman (or a couple of them,along with my friend) could choreograph and such for the team.
On Thu Nov 17, 2005 02:17 PM
We have a choreogrpher/coach with 13 years of dance experience in multiple disciplines such as:

- ballet
- tap
- jazz
- hiphop
- latin dances
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 09:00 PM
One of my friends wants us to do Pom,but my other friend and I were thinking HipHop and some jazz.Is this done...CAN it be done?If it can,then we will probably go for it!
By gotdance112member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 19, 2005 07:42 PM
That's a great idea !
On Sun Nov 20, 2005 06:32 AM
^ What is a good idea?
On Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:43 AM
My friend and I just found out today that since it will be a CLUB team we can't make any cuts in the CLUB portion (so even if somebody CAN'T dance they are in the club)...BUT for the competition portion we can make cuts of some sort...We will get that information later (probably tomorrow).I hope we can get Dance to be a Varsity sport next year!
By KicksElitePoms
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 05:12 PM
MissYou, my team is a mixture between pom/jazz/hiphop. We just choose a theme for our music and cut the music into sections that work for all three sections.

For example, our last theme was 'Hot'. For poms we used that one song that goes 'Feeling hot, hot, hot'. For jazz, we used 'Hot Stuff'. And for hiphop we used a sped-up version of 'Drop It Like It's Hot'.
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 05:51 PM
Alrighty..That sounds good.And we have a person who mixes cheer music who is willing ot mix music for us too!
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 08:44 AM
So I have some outfit ideas:

- www.dancewearsolutions.com . . .

- www.discountdance.com . . .

- www.dancewearsolutions.com . . .

- store.varsity.com . . .

- www.discountdance.com . . .

AND

I was thinking...We are going to need to have a dresscode for practices...What should it be?

Since we are doing Jazz and Hip Hop maybe...

A choice of one of the following options -

Bottoms:

- basketball shorts
- short shorts w/tights underneath
- sweatpants (not really baggy though)
- tight exercise pants
- spandex (at appropriate length)

Tops:

- baggy shirt tied up to form fitting
- t-shirt
- tank top
- camisole

HOWEVER the comp team people at the comp only practice will NOT be allowed to wear loose pants - We will need to see everyones legs a LOT more since we will be doing harder stuff.
By darn_meg
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 05:48 AM
I think that even though you cant make cuts for tryouts you sholud still have a tryout aspect, like having tryouts to see who will perform at what game, just so that the girls dont feel like they get onto your team with nothing hard to do and thats its completely easy. My middle school wont let us have tryouts so our team really sucks. I just dont understand why they consider cheerleading a sport but dance is only a club. If a school considers one to bea sport both should be a sport.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:01 AM
^^^Yeah, you need to provide them with an idea of what they will be expected to do. That way if they feel it will be too difficult or not what they wanted, they can quit from the get go.
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:35 PM
Yeah...That is very true...We are going to have try outs for the comp people,but the people who don't want to do comp can come and tryout for better slots for games.

ReplySendWatch